• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #29: outskirts nakama dome - no snatching edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uoruk

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
They're not for everyone, but if there's one thing I've learned over the years it's that, while anything can be for anyone, not everything should be for everyone.
Ive tried getting my friend into fgs a few times. He actually has the capacity to learn and pick them up at a fast rate despite not really playing fgs. However, he folds whenever he has to play mind games or vice versa. He doesn't have the patience to sit back and assess a situation and he'll get super mad at himself if he loses to gimmicks or things he thinks has no counters. First time he started playing T7 ranked he broke his controller :skully

So he sticks to other genres. If he's interested in a fg he lets me know but at this point I usually try to talk him out of it since he's wasting money

aside some selective good fps games, mostly cuz of the story/chars

i still think, they are the lamest in quality, just hands with guns, walking around, in first person mode :hestonpls
This is how I've been feeling with jrpgs for the last like decade tbh. I get so bored of the same lame ass character archetypes and tropes. It also doesn't help that 90% of the time the interactions between the characters are just bad or cringe. I've played all of like two or three jrps in the last few years,the first being P5 and the other Tales of Arise. Currently I'm going through the FF7 remake but outside of the combat it's reminding me of why I hate jrpgs

TrueG 37

Acclaimed
img.jpg

Seems like a regular Wednesday in Florida to me :kobeha .

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Watched the cutscenes of Bayonetta Origins and it's Jeanne Chapter.

While I DID like the storybook style they were going for, with regards to telling the story, the narrator didn't need to explain every thought and emotion that goes through the character's heads. We as the players are in fact, smart enough to work that much out for ourselves thanks.

The much bigger issue though is that this game absolutely felt like it was supposed to be a completely new IP, and they just decided to set it in the Bayo universe to make it sell better. It's hard to take a story whose main conflict (one of them anyway) is "treating demons as friends" vs "using them as disposable tools" seriously when this same version of Cereza uses the DEMON SLAVE ability on unruly demons in Bayonetta 3.

The story would have worked really well if it were its own thing, but it's so completely at odds with the themes and tone of the Bayonetta series as a whole, that were it not for the designs of the characters and enemies, I would have forgotten it was even a Bayonetta game.

Jeanne's Chapter however feels like a direct answer to criticisms of Bayonetta 3 and honestly it's the best part of the story, If for nothing else than Jeanne actually getting to be the hero for once.
Singularity is sent (or has gone) back in time after his defeat in Bayonetta 3, though clearly MASSIVELY WEAKENED. Dude's missing parts of his arms and has to draw on the power of the Faery forest to pull anything.

He petrifies young Cereza, so she can't interfere with his attempts to start over, but of course young Jeanne (who teams up with Cheshire) shows up to save the day. Singularity shows her her future fate and she's all like "Don't care, unhand my Umbran sister".

Albeit with a moment's help from Cereza, Jeanne actually got to finish the bastard off for good. :awesome

Overall I don't lament the game's existence, it just would have been much better if it weren't a Bayonetta game and that the Jeanne chapter was simply DLC for Bayonetta 3.

TrueG 37

Acclaimed

Money and time Skipper. Money and time :wow . Them data analysis courses bruh :mjlol. The money part will be rectified soon now that I have someone competent looking over my resume again and for the best price.. free :mjpls thank God for that cause some other people are inconsistent as shit for that :mjlol.

Could probably pitch in for someone else's story though.
Truth be told I've never been a huge fan of fighting games :wow
There's a mindset to it that's not for everyone tbh. I got into it when I was younger just to beat my brother in street fighter so that sorta just prompted me to try and learn special moves, parrying etc. Going into training mode to practice for those things never really bothered me and they still don't.

Vespa Crabro

Stellaron Hunter
V.I.P. Member
Ive tried getting my friend into fgs a few times. He actually has the capacity to learn and pick them up at a fast rate despite not really playing fgs. However, he folds whenever he has to play mind games or vice versa. He doesn't have the patience to sit back and assess a situation and he'll get super mad at himself if he loses to gimmicks or things he thinks has no counters. First time he started playing T7 ranked he broke his controller :skully

So he sticks to other genres. If he's interested in a fg he lets me know but at this point I usually try to talk him out of it since he's wasting money

This is how I've been feeling with jrpgs for the last like decade tbh. I get so bored of the same lame ass character archetypes and tropes. It also doesn't help that 90% of the time the interactions between the characters are just bad or cringe. I've played all of like two or three jrps in the last few years,the first being P5 and the other Tales of Arise. Currently I'm going through the FF7 remake but outside of the combat it's reminding me of why I hate jrpgs
Arise felt like such a breath of fresh air it's actually unreal

I think the final portion of the game is a bit rushed and the 4 wedge bosses shouldn't have been relegated to sidequests but holy shit the characters hard carried that game so hard.

Funny since I have someone I know that absolutely hates the game and was literally grinding his teeth to powder when me and my virginia buds would discuss the game and how much fun we were having.

Uoruk

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Arise felt like such a breath of fresh air it's actually unreal

I think the final portion of the game is a bit rushed and the 4 wedge bosses shouldn't have been relegated to sidequests but holy shit the characters hard carried that game so hard.

Funny since I have someone I know that absolutely hates the game and was literally grinding his teeth to powder when me and my virginia buds would discuss the game and how much fun we were having.
Agreed. I'd have liked to have fought the 4 wedge bosses as part of the story instead of them being regulated to "problems we can deal with later" and I was actually invested in all of the characters. The twist/reveal was a good idea but it definitely felt rushed. Like a half thought toward the end of story planning that they decided not to expand on. Either due to time constraints or potential dlc.

But how the fuck do you not like Arise? :skully

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back