• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #43: Merry Christmas, You Filthy Animals

Status
Not open for further replies.

NostalgiaFan

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Just finished Godzilla 1954. (it took three days cause I kept getting interrupted)

Entire movie is a 10/10, I was originally going to put it at 9/10 but the Aftermath of Godzilla's rampage and Serizawa's sacrifice won me over.

Anyway my thoughts.

First half of the movie is a 9/10, which is like the first 50 minutes is good.

The beginning is a great opener. Seeing the sea boil and ships being destroyed by Godzilla.

And the scene with Godzilla overlooking the Mount Hachiba on Ohto Island was similarly an awesome scene, we don't see his full body but his crooked maw is horrifying and ugly and just great work on the suit.

Now here comes my only criticism with this movie.

I found the melodrama with Professor Yamane not wanting the military to kill Godzilla, and the love triangle with Emiko, Serizawa, and Ogata boring.

It's not a big part of the first half and I might be overblowing it, but it just fell flat to me, not to say it's atrociously bad, but it's just boring.

Of course the first half has its good parts, Godzilla destroying boats, the terror of him on Ohto Island, him crushing houses, the terror in people as they are attacked by something they cannot understand, and the government meetings (I honestly don't know why I like them, cause irl I don't, but if it's a gov meeting about Godzilla it makes me pay attention.)

Second half, is when Godzilla makes landfall in Japan is a full 10/10.

The score, Godzilla just crashing through the electrical barrier, breaking everything in his path is pure greatness. Him being an unstoppable force against all humanity has, until he fights a plane. Which I actually liked tbh.

Another thing was the scene of a mother hiding in front of a building already having made peace with her and her childrens death crying "don't worry, we'll see your father soon!" Was honestly fucking heartbreaking.

It's an amazing sequence. And that even gets topped by the more somber sequence of the aftermath. Serizawa, Ogata, and Emiko watching on TV all the damage Godzilla wrought with children praying as the score.

Most Godzilla movies I've watched don't really focus on the aftermath of Godzilla's rampage, not like this. Even shin Godzilla which was considered a spiritual successor to 1954 (at least before Minus One) was more about the government trying and failing to stop Godzilla than the aftermath of the attacks.

Then there was Serizawa's sacrifice which was also well done. Serizawa may have not gotten much characterization other than being a scientist tortured by his own research. But he's still done well enough that you feel sad about his sacrifice and kinda horrified by how the reporters are happy, despite the defeat of Godzilla requiring Serizawa's sacrifice.

And Professor's Yamane's final line that echoes the sentiment of the time and movie "If nuclear testing continues, another Godzilla might appear."
Yeah it still stands to this day as the best to me even if it does not match the fun and excitement of the more action heavy monster bash of the other films it outdoes them in the sense of terror, and devastation of what Godzilla's destruction would entail and the impact it has on the people living there. While the drama by itself between the characters is not something to write home about I found them more interesting when it concerns Godzilla and especially like how it made me feel for Serizawa and his death and even feel for Godzilla since in the final moments watching him rest you get a sense that he is just creature who was disturbed and effected by the Nukes as much as anyone else. I think the only films that get the same sense of the aftermath from Godzilla's rampage is GMK and Minus One but the original still holds the top spot for the emotional impact it had.

Why Blackwings though. Bet it was with RaidRaptor or a Phantom Knight engine.
The guy who came out on top only played Raider's Wing and Phantom Knights's Rank Up magic in case you need a turn two Kali-Yuga.

Otherwise, it was mostly Assault Dragon burn

Last edited:

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
Yeah it still stands to this day as the best to me even if it does not match the fun and excitement of the more action heavy monster bash of the other films it outdoes them in the sense of terror, and devastation of what Godzilla's destruction would entail and the impact it has on the people living there. While the drama by itself between the characters is not something to write home about I found them more interesting when it concerns Godzilla and especially like how it made me feel for Serizawa and his death and even feel for Godzilla since in the final moments watching him rest you get a sense that he is just creature who was disturbed and effected by the Nukes as much as anyone else. I think the only films that get the same sense of the aftermath from Godzilla's rampage is GMK and Minus One but the original still holds the top spot for the emotional impact it had.
This is basically a more eloquent version of how I feel about this movie.

Glad we agree :yousmart

Since I'm marathoning the movies, tomorrow will be the 1956, American localization

Derpmaster9000

Balor Béimnech
V.I.P. Member
Welcome Back.
Good to be back, thanks. Had some nice time off to reflect, go back to work(also got my latest paycheck, so that's nice) and have made the decision to buy a gaming PC instead of a laptop, and stick it in my sister's old room. Plus the monitor and so forth, it looks like it'll be around 3200 to 3300 euros, but it's a downright powerhouse, just from looking at its specs. It will serve me well for game dev, that's for damn sure.

Derpmaster9000

Balor Béimnech
V.I.P. Member
Also, I heard Rock's back, saw the segment, and have heard about what's apparently going on.

@Nevermind unless this info is false, the WWE are doing a PLE in Australia, I believe, and one of the terms for the event being hosted in the huge arena, was for the Rock to be involved in an angle, so they've decided to pull the trigger on Rock vs Roman at that event, which comes before Mania, so the chances of Roman losing the strap at Mania 40 are still strong, thankfully, if true. Haven't had time to properly double check the Australia thing, though, so it could be fake news.(doesn't sound like, though.)

Also, I heard Rock's back, saw the segment, and have heard about what's apparently going on.

@Nevermind unless this info is false, the WWE are doing a PLE in Australia, I believe, and one of the terms for the event being hosted in the huge arena, was for the Rock to be involved in an angle, so they've decided to pull the trigger on Rock vs Roman at that event, which comes before Mania, so the chances of Roman losing the strap at Mania 40 are still strong, thankfully, if true. Haven't had time to properly double check the Australia thing, though, so it could be fake news.(doesn't sound like, though.)

Nah, The Rock was gassed to shit when he did his promo, I doubt they will do Wrestlemania for that precise reason(Especially with his Agents making sure he doesn't injure himself) so it's why I don't believe it will be Wrestlemania, especially as it will enfringe the fuck on a whole assload of things and not just Cody's storyline.

Derpmaster9000

Balor Béimnech
V.I.P. Member
Nah, The Rock was gassed to shit when he did his promo, I doubt they will do Wrestlemania for that precise reason(Especially with his Agents making sure he doesn't injure himself) so it's why I don't believe it will be Wrestlemania, especially as it will enfringe the fuck on a whole assload of things and not just Cody's storyline.
Rocky may be jacked(juiced to the motherfucking gills :mjlol ), but his stamina is clearly in the gutter, with how much he was huffing after taking out Jinder. A Roman match where they have a slow build actually suits him, with his stamina issue, as it should do a good job of masking it, and making it look like he's simply exhausted from the physicality of the match itself.

Rocky may be jacked(juiced to the motherfucking gills :mjlol ), but his stamina is clearly in the gutter, with how much he was huffing after taking out Jinder. A Roman match where they have a slow build actually suits him, with his stamina issue, as it should do a good job of masking it, and making it look like he's simply exhausted from the physicality of the match itself.

It's primarily why I don't see it being a Wrestlemania Event(Especially as you stated, they do have an Australia PLE with Elimination Chamber if I'm right) because The Rock won't be capable of doing a Main Event Wrestlemania Quality Match in the fashion that he is in.
That's why while I see people going for the dooming angle, I don't really see it because this was supposed to happen last year at Wrestlemania and The Rock openly said that so I don't see it happening this time there especially with his Hollywood Agents wanting to make damn sure he doesn't get injured.

Nevermind

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
There's no way Rock vs. Roman happens at anywhere other than Mania. No way.

But I have other things on my mind. Just asked this girl I've mentioned in our streams to come out with me this weekend. She mentioned she wants to see Central Park with snow so I asked her. I really like her. She has a lot of class and elegance. So keep your fingers crossed for me. Feed me your energy so I can manifest this.

Derpmaster9000

Balor Béimnech
V.I.P. Member
It's primarily why I don't see it being a Wrestlemania Event(Especially as you stated, they do have an Australia PLE with Elimination Chamber if I'm right) because The Rock won't be capable of doing a Main Event Wrestlemania Quality Match in the fashion that he is in.
That's why while I see people going for the dooming angle, I don't really see it because this was supposed to happen last year at Wrestlemania and The Rock openly said that so I don't see it happening this time there especially with his Hollywood Agents wanting to make damn sure he doesn't get injured.
He ain't working with the uncoordinated tard that is fuckboy buckethead(John Cena), he's working with Roman, who at this point, tends to do a good job at protecting his opponent(though he could certainly do better at protecting himself :kobeha ). He should be fine. Match should focus on storytelling above all else, which is Rock and Roman's strong suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back