• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #43: Merry Christmas, You Filthy Animals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordo

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
final-fantasy-vii-x-azumanga-daioh-art-by-ohkura-bekkan-v0-wjhbkirurq2a1.jpg

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member

"I thought they were gonna drop Lars and Alisa's anime asses in Tekken 8 but no, these characters refuse to leave while Baek and Bruce get the bench."

It's almost like a lot of people acknowledge that this series has always been anime as fuck and actually like Lars and Alisa Max. :maybe
Also Hwaorang is Baek's student and much more popular replacement and nobody gives a shit about Bruce, they never have. :kobeha

"I thought they were gonna drop Lars and Alisa's anime asses in Tekken 8 but no, these characters refuse to leave while Baek and Bruce get the bench."

It's almost like a lot of people acknowledge that this series has always been anime as fuck and actually like Lars and Alisa Max. :maybe
Also Hwaorang is Baek's student and much more popular replacement and nobody gives a shit about Bruce, they never have. :kobeha

It's weird acting like Tekken was never anime as fuck when it always has been...
It's some of the weirdest complaints I have ever heard when it's been pretty fucking zany since what? Tekken 2? Hell, Tekken 3 is no different than what we are seeing now in preposterous endings which makes it dumber.
This is why I can never understand why people act like Street Fighter, Tekken, etc. isn't "anime" but somehow it's Melty Blood and shit that is "anime" when every Japanese Fighting Game is anime as fuck.

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
It's weird acting like Tekken was never anime as fuck when it always has been...
It's some of the weirdest complaints I have ever heard when it's been pretty fucking zany since what? Tekken 2? Hell, Tekken 3 is no different than what we are seeing now in preposterous endings which makes it dumber.
This is why I can never understand why people act like Street Fighter, Tekken, etc. isn't "anime" but somehow it's Melty Blood and shit that is "anime" when every Japanese Fighting Game is anime as fuck.
The only difference I can think of is that Melty Blood, Guilty Gear, Blazblue, Granblue and things like them use more traditional "anime art styles" so to speak, so these people don't immediately associate Tekken and such with anime, but it don't change the fact they all indulge in that anime storytelling and they always have.

Melty Blood isn't any more or less anime than Tekken, it's fans just don't try to ignore the fact for whatever reason. :maybe

NostalgiaFan

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
I like the taus role as the naive new guy reacting to the insanity of the rest of the galaxy.

"Titans? Pfft. Those are just imperial propaganda they don't actually exist. And even if they did something so impractical couldn't pose a threat."

Hilarious enough that looks more like a Knight then a real Titan which makes it even more crazy.

Flowering Knight

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
It's strange because guys like TMM don't like the anime aesthetic either yet they still like the new designs and storytelling for Tekken. They just acknowledge that this has always been a series with bears that learn karate, cyborgs, and people with demon powers (of which one of them goes the extra mile and straight up possesses the devil himself), so none of it feels out of place in the grand scheme of things. Tekken never changed, nor did it become more anime. Anime itself changed and became more exaggerated, and Tekken just went along with it.

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member

That is a fat sack of crap.

There are two little things called YOUR VOICE and BODY LANGUAGE, BOTH of which can be used to convey a characters thoughts and feelings without needing to completely break character by showing their face. As a professional actor, you should be well aware of this.

There are plenty of instances in long-form story telling, particularly in the realm of animation or video games where characters who either cover their face or (for whatever reason) have unexpressive faces, still manage to have their thoughts and emotions conveyed to the viewer by dint of excellent voice performances.

The one that springs most readily to mind for me would be BlackWarGreymon from Digimon Adventure 02. The ONLY part of his face that can emote are his EYES, everything else was gotten across by exceptional voice performances by both his Japanese AND English voice actors. He is STILL one of the most beloved characters in Digimon to this day.

So you can take that excuse ('cause that's exactly what it is, an excuse to cover the fact you can't act your way out of a paper bag) and shove it straight up your ass.

Uoruk

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
It's strange because guys like TMM don't like the anime aesthetic either yet they still like the new designs and storytelling for Tekken. They just acknowledge that this has always been a series with bears that learn karate, cyborgs, and people with demon powers (of which one of them goes the extra mile and straight up possesses the devil himself), so none of it feels out of place in the grand scheme of things. Tekken never changed, nor did it become more anime. Anime itself changed and became more exaggerated, and Tekken just went along with it.
Tbf TMM and his followers don't like anything in tekken that isnt what they think Tekken is. Pmuch anything that isn't hypermasucline.

So "Silly" things like the bears, female characters in general or characters he feels are boringn/generic. So anyone not a Mishima or doesnt give off the "badass" vibe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back