• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #44: Happy New Year. Lets Start the year with a bang.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
I still can't get over that one scene where there are fucking SIX guys doing a whole bunch of movements and chants just to earthbend a fairly small rock over to a guy at a slow speed :tupac
Putting the EARTH-benders in a prison that is entirely made up of and surrounded by EARTH.
Then you get to that scene and you realize...oh, that's why that works. :heston

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Broly is boring (Super and Z ver, the later is worse being "Muh Kakarot")
DBZA gives the best description of him

I liked Super Broly.

DBZ Broly was unique for a DBZ villain for having a genuinely messed up backstory to make him as insane as he is, it just wasn’t properly explored with his character enough.

And even then, he only got reduced to Muh Kakarot with the second movie. First movie, he had more personality and didn’t even particularly care for Goku

Proto234

Distinguished
I liked Super Broly.

DBZ Broly was unique for a DBZ villain for having a genuinely messed up backstory to make him as insane as he is, it just wasn’t properly explored with his character enough.

And even then, he only got reduced to Muh Kakarot with the second movie. First movie, he had more personality and didn’t even particularly care for Goku
Yeah, him getting triggered with Kakarot word even in the first movie is still dumb af.

Make worse all of it because baby Goku was crying nonstop and disturbs Broly lol

It will be better if Paragus made it so his trigger word is Vegeta since Paragus does have legit beef to the royal family

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
By the way I'd just like to remind everyone that, for as "problematic" as they claim this to be, THE widely considered best characters and plot threads in My Hero Academia (ie the Todoroki's) revolve around a similar inciting event (ie a father abusing his kids).

It's only "problematic" if the story treats it as if it is okay or acceptable and neither ATLA or (for all of Horikoshi's faults) MHA did that.

Paxton

One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds
V.I.P. Member
By the way I'd just like to remind everyone that, for as "problematic" as they claim this to be, THE widely considered best characters and plot threads in My Hero Academia (ie the Todoroki's) revolve around a similar inciting event (ie a father abusing his kids).

It's only "problematic" if the story treats it as if it is okay or acceptable and neither ATLA or (for all of Horikoshi's faults) MHA did that.
And coincidentally enough, both Zuko and Todoroki got scarred from burns on their left eye specifically, albeit both in different contexts.

:mjgrin

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Yeah, him getting triggered with Kakarot word even in the first movie is still dumb af.

Make worse all of it because baby Goku was crying nonstop and disturbs Broly lol

It will be better if Paragus made it so his trigger word is Vegeta since Paragus does have legit beef to the royal family
It actually makes a lot more sense that Broly associates Goku and his crying, the two things he knew non-stop as a baby with all the other messed up things that made him go insane: being stabbed, thrown out and left to die with his dad, sensing the oncoming death and the planet about to explode that forced out his power from sheer stress. All that as a baby.

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
EDIT: @Adamant soul @Paxton They got us, this shit is apparently fake as fuck from another picture showing Zuko has a burn mark.
This is most likely a huge rib on the fact that Sokka lost his character development.
Ah I see, we got trolled hard.
And frankly it says a lot about the state of modern western media that we could fall for and believe it so easily. :kobeha

Masterblack06

Man of Atom

fucking_hell.jpg

In this case, that video does making apt description regarding Broly

Not that dragon ball has great villains to begin with (DBZ Freeza and Pre perfect Cell are the closest).
Frankly Toguro is better villain for shonen in that era

No they really didn't, they legit hate the shit out of Broly and went the coward's way out by going all in with their hate rather than rationalizing Broly's mad hate with what very much is implied to have happened that's CONNECTED to Kakarot's voice...
Which is King Vegeta nearly killing him and then Planet Vegeta exploding on him which is even what certain Dragon Ball games attributed it to.

Flowering Knight

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member

Broly being mad at Goku crying was a dub only thing iirc. Originally the dude wanted to fight Goku just because he was the strongest of the Z fighters. Meaning Broly took the whole "love for battle" thing that saiyans were known for and just ran with it.

Leave it to TFS to misunderstand the hell out of the source material they're supposedly huge fans of though :kobeha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back