• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #48: WAGA TAMASHII

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrossTheHorizon

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member

Annnnnnnnnd that's Hera in Hades II...

Cary Elwes Laughing GIF

Yeah... The devs certainly have a thing for Africans. Would be nice if they'd made a game based on African myth, instead of just color-swapping Greek Gods/Goddesses, but here we are...

Why couldn't they have just made a game about African mythology instead?

Like, even aside from the whole blackwash thing, from what little I recall there are plenty of African myths that could do super well in a game like this

Derpmaster9000

Balor Béimnech
V.I.P. Member
Why couldn't they have just made a game about African mythology instead?

Like, even aside from the whole blackwash thing, from what little I recall there are plenty of African myths that could do super well in a game like this
The worst part is rejects on Steam and other places trying to say that the people pointing this out(the blackwashing of Greek mythos, when they could just make an african mythos game instead) are the problem(the usual retards) with one dumbass in particular calling himself Greek, and then having the audacity to say that because of roman shit, Hestia's design is actual true to form(said this while providing zero proof of this 'well-fed Hestia' as he called her, because she doesn't exist within any roman imagery I know of, and it speaks volumes he had to dip into that because he damn sure knew the Greeks never depicted her, or any goddess as a fat bitch), including her dark skin, to that of a Greek, which instantly let me know that dipshit wasn't a Greek and is absolutely a fraud. Man's even brought up Greece being a stone's throw from Africa as an argument to Greeks naturally being dark-skinned, which got an eye-roll from me.

Greeks are definitely more dark-toned in their skin than a nordic, but they ain't african black. Come on, now, dumbass. :jordangif

At least she's hot

Bare minimum, otherwise, I can agree with Derp because yeah, it's the same shit they did with Angrobodya or whatever in God of War: Ragnarok and that was stupid there too(Though making Loki Atreus and Kratos' son already fucked the shit out of Norse Myth as is as Loki is supposed to be the same generation as Odin and was Blood Brothers)

Oh, I didn't deny that. She's hot, at least, which is a plus, even if she's still the wrong ethnicity. Guess Hades Zeus just has a major case of jungle fever. :mjlol

Honestly, I wouldn't have a problem with these if they are supposed to be radical takes on the mythos but most of the time, it's not. It's just some really shit design change for no real reason past "diverse" which as many of us state:

You can just use African Mythology if you really want to go that route and yes, I would rock the fuck out of a game that I can play as the trickster Anansui ever since I heard of his ass in stories. It's ridiculous as African Myth tends to go ridiculous at points and it's something even SMITE got right:

The fucked up part is that while there are many religions where it's extremely difficult to find info on, African Myth is NOT one of them.

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Aren't the Greek Gods basically all directly related to each other? So exactly how do they justify them having completely different skin colours from each other? :mjpls

Never mind the fact making a Greek God black is already stupid to begin with. :kobeha

Aren't the Greek Gods basically all directly related to each other? So exactly how do they justify them having completely different skin colours from each other? :mjpls

Never mind the fact making a Greek God black is already stupid to begin with. :kobeha

Yes, virtually all of the Olympians are related to each other...
It's ridiculous because there is still easy access into seeing statues and otherwise of the Greek gods and thus, you can't use the skin stuff as an excuse just like people tried with Cleopatra a year back.

As I stated before, unless you are radicalizing the shit out of it(And I mean completely going off the rails like say Disney Hercules), there's no reason not to simply just do what is actually stated in the mythology.
Especially if you don't want any whitewashing to happen to any PoC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back