OBD Convo #8: Still New Year, Lets go full force for the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon
MCU movies have lost a ton of steam, both financially as box office reports go and in general popularity following Endgame. Especially with a lot of the original or "founding" cast leaving; Chris Evans (Steve Rodgers/Captain America), RDJ (Tony Stark/Iron-Man), Scarlett Johansson, Gweneth Paltrow, Anthony Hopkins, etc...Eternals did not do that good good, Black Widow was massively panned and underperformed, no one was hyped for Shang-Chi. Besides that, The Incredible Hulk was a huge flop too.

Everything after Iron-Man 3 to Endgame (even including the bore-fest that was Captain Marvel) still averaged around $1 billion or more in total revenue. These following movies have struggled to get to that milestone after Endgame. Cape/Costume superhero comic book movies are getting tiring after nearly 15 years of it non-stop from Marvel and DC. On top of that:

>Eternals
>Shang-Chi
>Black Widow

All fell well below the $1 billion and over milestone, only Spider-Man: No Way Home came closer and Spider-Man has *always* been Marvel's most iconic and biggest IP besides X-Men and The Fantastic Four. Not a good sign.

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon
Actually double checking the numbers now but the $1 billion isn't even that common in the MCU films. But grossing upwards on average of $600-850 million tended to be the main place.

>Iron-Man 3: $1.25 billion
>Avengers: $1.55 billion
>Avengers Age of Ultron: $1.39 billion
>Captain America Civil War: $1.15 billion
>Black Panther: $1.3 billion
>Avengers Infinity War: $2 billion
>Captain Marvel: $1.1 billion
>Avengers Endgame: $2.79 billion
>Spider-Man Far From Home: $1.1 billion
>Spider-Man No Way Home: $1.8 billion

There is still a huge decline from the average MCU movie making 2/3rds to 3/4ths a billion to three films released post Endgame barely scrapping 400-500 million.

Claudio Swiss

Luminous
V.I.P. Member
thumb-1920-150072.jpg
ddin85h-c4175d21-d257-416d-aa54-fe391666692a.jpg

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
speaking of MCU i caught shang-chi and black widow on a plane flight (while my son was going apeshit because confining a 3 year old to plane for 5 hours is a horrible idea)

shang-chi was just....incredibly average at best. CGI in general, has gotten a lot worse in big budget movies for some reason, and the fight scenes, while better than your typical forgettable mcu fight, just aren't memorable at all. Especially since this is supposed to be a martial arts flick. I can still remember the beats of a Donnie Yen fight I saw once ten years ago, and I'm not even a martial arts movie buff, his fights are just actually well choreographed and designed to be more than filler. Plotwise, I think the MCU as a setting is becoming pretty bloated. You can't try to pull the "secret society controlled history" thing.....again after Winter Soldier already did it better. This is a huge issue Black Widow has too. Not-Mandarin was the coolest part of the movie, but the Dweller in Darkness undercutting his plotline was disappointing, especially since the creature ultimately had a "cool" but ultimately unmemorable design (that didn't even call back to the source material). Lame that Wenwu's primary color wasn't green though given the Mandarin's history. I'm just sick of the overabundance of blue in the MCU.

I actually enjoyed Black Widow a lot more which surprised me because it looked like fucking garbage to me. The first half of the movie is still pretty rough though, it's just a string of forgettable action scenes one after another. The movie improves once it's just Natasha and her weirdo "family" given time to interact. Dreykov and the Red Room surviving kinda suck. The plot of the movie overall, especially related to them, is just Winter Soldier again, down to the finale in a floating battleship. Taskmaster is whatever. They make a big deal about "How could Dreykov survive the explosion?!" and then they never fucking explain it and he's just fine, lmfao. Then he dies in another explosion. The single cool moment from a visual perspective.....in the entire movie, is Taskmaster falling through the sky and landing/cutting through a chunk of glass building.

This is what bugs me about the MCU in general, for action movies, they are terrible at action. The choreography is garbage. The beats are unmemorable. Thanos on Titan was the last remotely good fight they had, that had anything even remotely resembling a rhythm. It's kind of funny to me that Bayformers of all things was panned for its action scenes, when by comparison they look like masterworks compared to the average MCU fight. The Last Knight, one of the worst movies I've ever seen, still manages to have a nicer looking more rhythmic fight than anything in Shang-Chi. And this is what dominates the box office. Godzilla vs Kong had fights that blow away any MCU fight, and I wouldn't even consider those great, although they were good and enjoyable (Pacific Rim did it better).

Gordo

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Actually double checking the numbers now but the $1 billion isn't even that common in the MCU films. But grossing upwards on average of $600-850 million tended to be the main place.

There is still a huge decline from the average MCU movie making 2/3rds to 3/4ths a billion to three films released post Endgame barely scrapping 400-500 million.
And these can be explained too

Avengers or ties back to Avengers

“First black superhero movie” lol

First female led Marvel movie

Spider-Man

compare that to DC where no one expected an Aquaman movie of all things to break past a billion, and it didn’t have Justice League backing it because that underperformed

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
I actually only ever wrote any fanfics mainly as a teenager, but it was pretty different from what you'd usually find. Me and some friends basically took a game setting we really liked and fleshed out the lore more, wrote in our own characters and organizations into the backstory etc.

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon
And these can be explained too

Avengers or ties back to Avengers

“First black superhero movie” lol

First female led Marvel movie

Spider-Man

compare that to DC where no one expected an Aquaman movie of all things to break past a billion, and it didn’t have Justice League backing it because that underperformed
They can be explained because Captain Marvel was thought to be a movie that you HAD to watch to go from Infinity War to Endgame. The reviews were generally scathing on it and particularly Brie Larson's acting and the entire story. Eternals, Shang-Chi, Black Widow, etc...have been uniformly either boringly vanilla or plain bad. They simply can't attract the same level of excitement to it.

And now that Tom Holland is done they only have Doctor Strange and the rumors about the Thor movie don't sound great.

Qinglong

Martyrs are the first to Die
V.I.P. Member
This is what bugs me about the MCU in general, for action movies, they are terrible at action. The choreography is garbage. The beats are unmemorable. Thanos on Titan was the last remotely good fight they had, that had anything even remotely resembling a rhythm. It's kind of funny to me that Bayformers of all things was panned for its action scenes, when by comparison they look like masterworks compared to the average MCU fight. The Last Knight, one of the worst movies I've ever seen, still manages to have a nicer looking more rhythmic fight than anything in Shang-Chi. And this is what dominates the box office. Godzilla vs Kong had fights that blow away any MCU fight, and I wouldn't even consider those great, although they were good and enjoyable (Pacific Rim did it better).

I agree that rhythm and beatwise yeah bayformers actually is ahead

The problem I had was I literally couldn't tell anyone fucking apart if it wasn't murderous prime :russ

shade0180

Just a shadow
V.I.P. Member
So learned a new shit in kenshi again

Raid leader will spawn raid even recruited.

screenshot_164.jpg

Right in the middle of the group.

Luckily my group is strong enough to survive this shit I thought we are about to get demolished.

:kannasip
screenshot_168.jpg

Aftermath my group sleeping on pile of corpses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back