OBD Convo #8: Still New Year, Lets go full force for the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
Captain Marvel was confusing to me because they tried to hype up the first female led Marvel movie when Wonder Woman had already come out years before and was generally well received

Like it just made it so transparent that everything in the MCU is very sterile and focus-grouped. They didn't ever want to make a female led movie, they just waited until somebody else showed it was profitable.

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
I agree that rhythm and beatwise yeah bayformers actually is ahead

The problem I had was I literally couldn't tell anyone fucking apart if it wasn't murderous prime :russ
Bayformers kind of has the opposite issue from the MCU where the fights are actually over choreographed. I've watched them all a million times because I'm an obsessive schizoid who lives for transformers, and there's so many little hard to catch details on a first watch :skully But yeah their biggest weakness is the lack of diverse color palettes. The ROTF Forest Fight would be perfect if they had made Megatron, Starscream, and Grindor not fucking different shades of gray/brown. The first movie didn't have this issue because every character was a different color, and the only ones that were the same color (megatron, jazz, frenzy) all looked so different even a casual viewer couldn't confuse them for each other.

Claudio Swiss

Luminous
V.I.P. Member

NostalgiaFan

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
MCU movies have lost a ton of steam, both financially as box office reports go and in general popularity following Endgame. Especially with a lot of the original or "founding" cast leaving; Chris Evans (Steve Rodgers/Captain America), RDJ (Tony Stark/Iron-Man), Scarlett Johansson, Gweneth Paltrow, Anthony Hopkins, etc...Eternals did not do that good good, Black Widow was massively panned and underperformed, no one was hyped for Shang-Chi. Besides that, The Incredible Hulk was a huge flop too.
>black widow
>eternals
>underperformed

Unfortunately for them even that would be overselling them. Their budget from what I heard was 200 mill which means they needed 400 mill just to break even. Eternals only got 402 mill making it almost a flop and BW did the worst by not even getting past 380 mill which makes it an outright flop, possibly the first one the MCU had since the one and only Hulk movie they did.

Last edited:
@NostalgiaFan You aimed for the wrong button man, FYI.

>black widow
>eternals
>underperformed

Unfortunately for them even that would overselling them. Their budget from what I heard was 200 mill which means they needed 400 mill just to break even. Eternals only got 402 mill making it almost a flop and BW did the worst by not even getting past 380 mill which makes it an outright flop, possibly the first one the MCU had since the one and only Hulk movie they did.

Yeah, BW was a pure Bomb and Eternals didn't profit at all.
Shang Chi did profit... but it was nowhere near the typical MCU gains in the slightest.
And No Way Home was big... but almost all of that money went to Sony, not Marvel so that was a major net loss.

NostalgiaFan

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
>never realized I accidentally clicked the laughing face emote instead of the heart emote until I got back from break

:catwat

NostalgiaFan

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Yeah, BW was a pure Bomb and Eternals didn't profit at all.
Shang Chi did profit... but it was nowhere near the typical MCU gains in the slightest.
And No Way Home was big... but almost all of that money went to Sony, not Marvel so that was a major net loss.
To add insult to injury Venom 2, which was on a budget of 110 mill, made over 500 mill at the box office in the same year. That means every Sony produced Marvel film made more than any MCU film that Disney fully owned.
:kobeha

NostalgiaFan

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
It's like a polar opposite of their track record last year with everything else, Games, TV shows, Company Buyouts, etc. The one thing they did better than anyone else was in selling movie tickets and that was entirely due to Spiderman or Spiderman related properties.
:mjlol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back