• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo Thread #1 - A New Hope -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watchdog bringin the old classics

iu

Musu is a man of taste and me? I always appreciate it!
xtumblr_n1ggjzsyam1rsh9xbo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_n1ggjzsyAM1rsh9xbo5_1280_3.jpg

lotr05-1337285605.jpg

Frazetta doing LOTR :bury

Why is Eowyn not wearing any pants

Because Frazetta.

That first piece is excellent as fuck holy shit

I got a few of the sketches years ago, paid 300 or so for them. Now even the copies go for 900 bucks.

Frank Frazetta was a master and he did some of his best work after surviving a stroke and teaching himself how to paint with his other hand.

He really should have been hired to do the Silmarillion art :gglife

holy shit
those remidns me of old conan drawings and nordic drawings

It was done by the same guy!

Here's his rendition of Universal Horror classics.

EpIZPuMXcAEbqNG.jpg

71A1hfSclkL._AC_SY741_.jpg

definitely would have fit with the darker tone of silma compared to the rest of LOTR

I almost prefer the most cartoony fantastical style for the hobbit since it helps convey the tone really well

It fit the hobbit very well, I would have preferred Don Bluth for LoTR.

Walt Disney wanted to do an animated version of the silmarillion or the notes and musings that eventually became the Silmarillion with early hard rock guys doing the music and he wanted Daali, Osamu Tezuka and Frazetta to help.

Tolkien of course had a massive panic attack and shot it down.

Vespa Crabro

Stellaron Hunter
V.I.P. Member

View attachment 27

View attachment 28

Walt Disney wanted to do an animated version of the silmarillion with early hard rock guys doing the music and he wanted Daali, Osamu Tezuka and Frazetta to help.

Tolkien be like
“Unless the pope himself draws it I don’t want it” :russ

Xadlin

Acclaimed
V.I.P. Member

View attachment 27

View attachment 28

Walt Disney wanted to do an animated version of the silmarillion with early hard rock guys doing the music and he wanted Daali, Osamu Tezuka and Frazetta to help.

Tolkien does not trust disney or anyone that is a massive capitalist to honor his work.
thats why making anything of his work is so hard, cause the relatives still goes by his code of sayign no.

Tolkien does not trust disney or anyone that is a massive capitalist to honor his work.
thats why making anything of his work is so hard, cause the relatives still goes by his code of sayign no.

It was more a philosophical dispute between the two men and a very intense and personal feud between them.

Disney believed the only way our culture would survive television and all that would spring from television would be if quality people adapted our fables and fairy tales into a medium that young people would watch and he trusted his animators not to Commiefie it.

And to be fair, he was absolutely right.

Tolkien conversely believed such an attempt was doomed due to the hubris of man and because it would cheapen the animation and purge the moral of the story or worse cheapen it.

He too was also absolutely right.

Neither man was wrong. Both were fighting to keep the flame of our stories alive and both men died before they could see the perversions wrought in their names.

It's tragic Tolkien hated him so much. Had they teamed up. A lot of damage might have been mitigated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back