• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo Thread #1 - A New Hope -

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusubiKazesaru

Illustrious
Super Moderator
gcsz3moxd3861.jpg

Samurai Sauron

Weeburon:russ
He looks more Mongul-ish to me.

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon
I mean they did bring an end to the Islamic civilizations in the area, which very much influenced how Islamic and Christian relations would play out for the next couple hundred years.
The Huns were a couple centuries before Islam arose out of Arabia, my dude. I think you are confusing the Huns with the Mongols. The Huns are descendants of the Xianbei empire, which more or less was made up of a large swathe of the Steppe and Far East that involved a lot of proto-Turkic, proto-Mongolic, and early Hunnic peoples fighting with the Han Chinese. The Han eventually crushed the Xianbei and other rival nomadic tribes were extremely hostile to them, which eventually triggered the western migration of the Huns for the next hundreds of years.
Also slaughtering millions of people at a time when the total population of earth was still far far below a billion tends to leave ripples.
Again your thinking of the Mongols, not the Huns.
They didn't exist for more than a couple generations, and really only with Gengis as a global power, but they did have a massive influence if purely because several powerful places on the map simply ceased to exist after they meet the mongols
Mongols emerged in the late 10th/early 11th centuries. The Huns weren't a relevant power in Europe or Asia by the late 5th/400s AD. They were still effective mercenaries used by the late Western Roman Empire and the Eastern Roman/Byzantine Empire but the remnants of the Huns were assimilated and conquered in Europe and the areas across and around the Black Sea and Crimean penninsula by Baltic and Slavic tribes.

The Huns were most emphatically not Christian, with the exception of Genghis' mother being purported to being a Nestorian and Kublai and one of the other Khans of that era flirting with the faith.

So acrimony between Near East and West didn't arise from the Mongols, iirc the Sultans of that era went as far as England trying to get help to stop the Mongols.

The Huns were a couple centuries before Islam arose out of Arabia, my dude.

I thought he was thinking of the Alans, Vandals and Goths but it was the reverse for them. The Germanic and Persian tribes were conquered by Islam. With the Caliphate in North Africa even larping as mighty Germans and using their descent from Vandal North Africa to justify the invasion of Iberia.

"In the name of Allah, we seeking to reconnect with our lost brothers in Europe do claim by rite of blood the old lands of Rome that were taken in conquest by our forebears who wisely submitted to the words of the prophet" etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back