• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

One Piece Tier/Feat/Canon/Toei Discussion Thread Part 3: Road to star level

I understand where you're coming from and I sympathise with you, my main point was just to illustrate that it's not as bad as you're making it out to be, after all it is a shonen manga that is has a target demographic that will definitely enjoy the changes he's going through even if it is a bit cheap,

I personally find it less cheaper than any of Zoro's or Luffy's powerups, his one was actually explained even if people didn't like how the story evolved on WCI/his choices.

It's just that these things have been hapenning for the past decade, it seems a little bit late being surprised at what has unfolded. Again, I'm sorry you're not happy with how his character is being handled but it's an inevitable consequence on how he was being handled these past few arcs.
You don’t have to feel sorry for me when the chapter isn’t actually out yet, dude. I get that this is typically the type of thing that people do to lay on a dissenting opinion with a buffer so the discussion doesn’t get sour, but its not really warranted here.

I HEAVILY disagree that this was an inevitable consequences of the past few arcs. This honestly seems like the polar opposite of WCI in terms of themes. Not only that, its a downgrade for Sanji as a character. All his hard work is not invalidated, don’t get me wrong. However it is in question more now because it retroactively explains previous instances of Sanji being considered “superhuman” to be more literal than initially given. Ennis Lobby, Punk Hazard, etc. Its less that “he’s not a hard worker” and more that all his hard work is tainted.

Also you pointing out that its not that bad because other Shounen do it? That the target demographic will enjoy it anyhow? Not really a good thing. Not at all. Just makes One Piece more of a generic shounen.

You don’t have to feel sorry for me when the chapter isn’t actually out yet, dude. I get that this is typically the type of thing that people do to lay on a dissenting opinion with a buffer so the discussion doesn’t get sour, but its not really warranted here.

I HEAVILY disagree that this was an inevitable consequences of the past few arcs. This honestly seems like the polar opposite of WCI in terms of themes. Not only that, its a downgrade for Sanji as a character. All his hard work is not invalidated, don’t get me wrong. However it is in question more now because it retroactively explains previous instances of Sanji being considered “superhuman” to be more literal than initially given. Ennis Lobby, Punk Hazard, etc. Its less that “he’s not a hard worker” and more that all his hard work is tainted.

Also you pointing out that its not that bad because other Shounen do it? That the target demographic will enjoy it anyhow? Not really a good thing. Not at all. Just makes One Piece more of a generic shounen.
I lurk a lot in the OL, it's just my way to assure you that there's nothing but goodwill and that I'm also not a fan of the direction as much.

I disagree with that notion but I'll break it down so you can digest it.

The reason why it was inevitable was because Oda didn't showcase Sanji in a good spotlight for the most part throughout the timeskip, that's what I mean by it was inevitable because of consequences of poor showings such he needed a believable powerup to put him where he currently is, such as getting the raid suit etc.

His gene unlocking just means that he was powering up from what Oda established in his flashback back on WCI. Judge comments that Sanji was successful in whatever mumbojumbo he did to his children but his stats never changed for reasons unknown.

This flashback is akin to luffy getting the gomu gomu as a child. The only difference is, is that it happened so late and far into the show. Is luffy suddenly tainted because all of his feats come from using the Gomu? No because that was chapter 1. This is chapter 900+ so I can see the distaste. This was all setup in WCI.

I never pointed out it's not bad because other shonens do it. I have never said that. I said it was better than any of Zoro's or Luffy's powerups because it's the only one we have something dedicated to it. And I don't mean a 1 panel flashback of ray training luffy.

Also the fact that asspull powerups have been happening since Enis Lobby so this is nothing new. There's a reason why Sanji is unlocking harder exoskeleton which was his weakpoint, there's no explaination on how luffy has VOAT, he just has it.

Back