Post Crisis DC Heralds Overview - Analyses, Calculations, Context, and Refutations

Maddie

Acclaimed
NOTE: This is an extreme WIP, I won't really begin it until later this year.

I have finished Infinite Crisis and am done reading DC for the Summer, I am going to make this thread to post my findings for DC. I will update the rules as I go on, however here is some ground rules

• At certain points I will start ignoring and not calculating certain feats a character does if they are too low and aren't a feat depicting much effort or pain. For example, if Superman in the 2000s throws a building. I will not calculate it. If he does get hurt for whatever reason, I will calculate it.

Endless Mike

Illustrious
NOTE: This is an extreme WIP, I won't really begin it until later this year.

I have finished Infinite Crisis and am done reading DC for the Summer, I am going to make this thread to post my findings for DC. I will update the rules as I go on, however here is some ground rules

• At certain points I will start ignoring and not calculating certain feats a character does if they are too low and aren't a feat depicting much effort or pain. For example, if Superman in the 2000s throws a building. I will not calculate it. If he does get hurt for whatever reason, I will calculate it.

I don't see the point of calculating low-end outliers.

Also, by the title, I assume you mean characters who are generally Herald level in stats (Superman, Wonder Woman, GL, Martian Manhunter, Flash, Captain Marvel/Shazam, Captain Atom, etc.)?

Maddie

Acclaimed
I don't see the point of calculating low-end outliers.

Also, by the title, I assume you mean characters who are generally Herald level in stats (Superman, Wonder Woman, GL, Martian Manhunter, Flash, Captain Marvel/Shazam, Captain Atom, etc.)?
Yeah, I mostly mean them

I guess I will make a statistical curve and find what statistical outliers are.

I know for Byrne Era I will set the bare minimum to be worth being shown at 100 megajoules or 200 m/s. Once I reach the mid jurgens era I will bump that up to anything below 100 tons of tnt and 2000 m/s or something (There is one massive feat I found there that's like a sore thumb, way above any other feat)

Endless Mike

Illustrious
You can't just model what count as outliers and such via pure mathematics, you have to consider context like how casually most feats are performed, how characters react to them (treating it as either something special/unusual or an expected thing), how the stories sometimes don't allow for opportunities for certain feats to be performed, characterization and CIS/mental blocks, retcons that change or clarify things later, extenuating circumstances that might not be apparent from only reading the comic where the feat occurs (but other comics or canon sources paint it in a different light), author minimalism/lack of scientific knowledge, margin of error in calcs, narration/dialogue contradicting visuals, etc.

It's not a precise science by any measure.

Maddie

Acclaimed
You can't just model what count as outliers and such via pure mathematics, you have to consider context like how casually most feats are performed, how characters react to them (treating it as either something special/unusual or an expected thing), how the stories sometimes don't allow for opportunities for certain feats to be performed, characterization and CIS/mental blocks, retcons that change or clarify things later, extenuating circumstances that might not be apparent from only reading the comic where the feat occurs (but other comics or canon sources paint it in a different light), author minimalism/lack of scientific knowledge, margin of error in calcs, narration/dialogue contradicting visuals, etc.

It's not a precise science by any measure.
Yeah I just didn't want to clutter the thread with too many feats so I have to find a way. Especially since the power levels in DC increase and what was impressive in 1986 wasn't impressive by 1994 which wasn't impressive by 2002 which wasn't impressive by 2010.

Right now I want to work on my blog for 1999-2006 stuff and then begin posting stuff here. I actually need to reread Green Lantern Corps too. I might reread some pre-Zero Hour stories I missed, and then around october finally begin the 2006-2011 comics. I am still writing up the readlist there.

Last edited:
Back