4. Yhwach
5. Father
6. Blackbeard
7. Makima
8. Meruem

You can add your own characters

OrlandoSky

Paramount
By portrayal do you mean how well they’re written, how enjoyable they are as characters or how they’re handled by their actors?

NostalgiaFan

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Frieza
Meruem
Father

Not seen enough of the others to make a clear guess but just from impressions I have no love for Madara, Ywach, and Sukuna at the least. Rest I am uncertain.

The only reason I put Yhwach above Makima is that she was never really that engaging as a villain to me...
But that's more me never really getting into the CSM hype in the slightest. That and I find Yhwach infinitely more tolerable than Madara and Sukuna by leaps and bounds.

And I put Frieza below Father less due to his Namek portrayal and more how much his post ToP portrayal has damaged Frieza as a character and a concept.

NostalgiaFan

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Eh Father himself was rather shallow as a Villain I find, not bad just more generic as a character even if the I found the history and way the plot used him intriguing. Meruem came off as both more terrifying at first to then becoming more developed and interesting as things changed where I wanted him to die a slow painful death at the start, to where by the end I got what I wished but it was in the worst way to the point I felt bad for him.

Eh, I won't deny Father isn't generic but honestly, he feels like a breath of fresh air compared to the typical overpowered shonen villains that don't know when to exit stage left.

I did have Meruem at Top 3 so it's not like it's a huge diss against him either.

Proto234

Distinguished
Kirei >>>> the rest

For the list only though (only for those that I familiar with)
Namek saga Freeza > Kurohige >= Father > Madara > Yhwach >> Super saga Freeza

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
sojo-is-a-wielder-of-off-screen-haki-v0-0p6nmzs47b4c1.png

Uoruk

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Frieza is number 1 obviously. Even before his actual introduction we knew he wasn't to be fucked with. We know this because all of his henchmen AND Vegeta, all ruthless themselves, weren't trying to fuck with him. Vegeta wanted to make sure he was immortal before he fought the nigga because he knew he was gonna catch the fade. Then you have his multiple transformations. Every time you thought you had this him sike, this isn't even my final form. While he's moved more toward the comic relief side recently he's still one of the villain GOATs

2nd place I'd have Makima/Meruem.

On the one hand you have Makima who right from the start they make it a note that somethings off about her but you never really know what. Then as soon as the series climax hits she slaps you in the face with a wet fish and reveals she's had everyone doing what she wanted from the start. The governments of the world all came together and made a deal with the devil that bodied most of the planet trying to get rid of her and they still couldn't do it. All because she wanted to be the ultimate fangirl

Then you have Meruem. Mans felt like Togashi crossed the pure violence that is Buu with the calculating mind of Kurama and gave birth to bug Jesus. His presence alone was enough to raise tension in whatever scene he shows up in and you never knew who was gonna die when he appeared. Then you have him almost effortlessly keeping up with the STRONGEST MAN ON THE PLANET and treating it like a game. We had to nuke this nigga and it STILL didn't immediately kill him

3rd and 4th I'd give to Madara and Sukuna respectively. At least their early portrayals.

Madara was straight fuckin cold when he shows up. He straight up bodies everyone like an old man kicking kids off his lawn and telling them how shit was harder back in his day. And this, to the current leaders of the shinobi world. If that wasn't enough, he laughs when they think they've won by canceling edo tensei only for him to say "that shit don't apply to me :bookerskully". From that point onward it was only down hill only for him to ultimately get blown tf out because Kishi wanted a giant alien waifu as the big bad for some reason

Sukuna is sort of in a similar situation. From the start up until Shibuya he's actually been great and I can mainly only speak from there since I haven't continued the manga but based on what i've read from you guys he only gets worse from there. Regardless what made Sukuna so good was not only the fact that he was strong but that he seemed to be aware of shit no one else was and seemed to be planning 3 steps ahead at every turn. Couple that with him being an absolute bastard and he makes for one of the most electrifying entertaining villains in recent times. It really made you look forward to what he was cooking but it seems now we know he can't cook smh

5th would be Father. He wasn't a bad villain in the slightest but his problem was being less interesting then every other villain in the series. His history with Hoenheim was cool but after the mystery of his identity was revealed I felt it took away a lot of the impact he had. His final fight with Edward is still great and in a way I see it as a fight between brothers since Hoenheim was a much of a father to the dwarf in the flask as Edward and it resembles some of the original anime's canon as Envy there was technically Ed's older brother

6th I'd put Yhwach. Never much cared for him as a villain tbh outside of mustache memes. I think him as a concept isn't bad but Kubo's ability to execute is just fucking awful and as a result Yhwach feels lackluster as a character and a villain.

7th would be Teach. Honestly again, don't think he's bad in the slightest but I think he suffers from the same problems Father had where the other villains are just that much more interesting

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
Frieza and Meruem are the obvious top choices but I genuinely fuck with Blackbeard a lot. He’s been written jn a really surprisingly clever and subtle way compared to other One Piece villains, he’s the main villain but he’s clearly not the guy running the show or the strongest character around, he’s set the stage for large swathes of the plotline but only shows up here and there every couple hundred chapters. He has a bunch of mystic knowledge nobody else should have, and is extremely powerful in his own right while at the same time being a complete coward and refusing to fight people he could easily beat because he’s scared.

He’s just so god damn weird that it makes me like him more. I always look forward to seeing him again because you never know what the hell he’s gonna fo next

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Father was an excellent final villain who really nailed his grand evil plan that was both well executed to the story and played out while not being overly convoluted or full of holes. Only complaint was how it was a tad too easily beat by Hoehenheim’s Deus ex Machina counter

Main problem with him is how he’s overshadowed to all the other memorable villains Hiromu thought up like Fuhrer Bradley and Kimblee that were both more involved in the story, better fleshed out, etc

Don’t know Makima or Blackbeard enough to comment

Ranking for me:

1. Frieza (The gold standard for how to make a villain that’s epic in every sense of the word)
2. Meruem (holy fuck did Chimera Ant arc in general mess me up)
3. Madara (talk all the shit you want about him, dude had tons of buildup and hype before being properly introduced and lived up to all of it gloriously)
4. Father
5. Sukuna (insufferable as he is, I do like how he manages to be both the MC at this point and the main villain at the same time and it’s fun just watching him be such a troll and as petty an asshole as can be)
6. Yhwach (started out kinda cool and the destruction of Soul Society and his murder of Yamamoto were intense shock moments, but just became bland from then on

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Shit even with my next to 0 knowledge about Makima or Blackbeard, their both probably still better than Yhwach.

Biggest problem with Yhwach in my opinion is that he barely feels like a character

He’s lacking in personality, his goals are poorly explained, he’s a massive hypocrite towards his own ideals where he seems to vaguely want what he thinks is for the greater good while being a total scumbag all the way through for literally no reason that even his own army has enough of it. Compare that to Sukuna whose a dick and makes no attempt to hide it but make it his defining trait.

And while not too related to his poor quality as a villain, his powers are also just as poorly explained and frankly, boring.

Madara and Sukuna, despite suffering similar pitfalls, at least feel like actual characters the story more then fleshes out so we understand them, their goals, what they want or look for, etc.

Xadlin

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member
1. Frieza
might get repetivive these days, but he still has charm. hes a petty little dictator that takes pleasure in killing, playing and fucking over anyone that is beneath him. but loses his cool to if someone even tries to take pity on him or think him beneath them. his pride is both his strenght and downfall.
2. Blackbeard
hes a scheming coward, that loves taking cheap shots against his opponents, which is a great counterpart against luffy. hes a goof but can also have his sinister and terrifying moments.
3. Father
mostly in the background, but still is relevant to the story cause he causes most things behind the scene. kinda boring tbh but still more interesting until the end then the other villains on this list.
4. Yhwach
was cool, but as it went on just became lame with him just going and stealing yamas bankai and dipping, outwitting and haxing guarda nd then just sits on his throne, gettign beaten by the literal plot arrow and dies by ichigos child.
5. Makima
cool and scheming, cool powers but i lost interest in her at the end.
6. Madara
same thing here, was cool in the beginning and during guys fight but then got cucked by space rabbit lady
7. Meruem
havent read much hxh at all so dont know much else that hes a kind of sympathetic villain, that tries to understand humans while acting as stage on Cell from dbz.
8. Sukuna
Fraud-Suna was cool in the beginning but then all the fakouts just took all his hype and just made him boring.

B Rabbit

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Blackbeard for me.

I love how he's unapologetically a coward and crook. But he also has redeeming good guy qualities as well.

He seems like an actual pirate. To where the reader can't ever really hate him because they understand why he makes the move he makes.

Back