Saitama's Serious Punch discussion thread electric boogaloo

I'm gonna start this shit:
The Pages before the feat goes against the fact that the "Hole" is Multi-Star System.
- Blast explicitly states that if Saitama and Garou hit the way they did, the Planet would shatter.
- Blast and Co. are only able to divert it away from the Planet and we see it never leaving the Solar System or even going further than The Moon itself in the following pages before it blows up.
- If the blast can destroy "countless stars", then why did Blast only state that the attack would just shatter the Planet nor is the Solar System destroyed?
- Even if we go by "DBZ Logic" on why Garou would be scared of the Serious Sneeze, it still doesn't work when the attack only wiped away the Gas surrounding Jupiter and did nothing to it's core or Saitama's fart only lighting up the Sun some.

One Punch Man is not DBZ and that's the entire issue with Murata's Manga variant: He LOVES going all in on feats and everything else(usually to the detriment of the series) and even explaining at length.
We at the OBD don't accept shit based on JUST how it looks but also the info we are given and there's NOTHING outside of that hole that goes any further than Planetary.
It's ultimately inconclusive as fuck and shouldn't be used JUST for Saitama anyway as Garou also contributed, neither one benefits from it on their own even after their buffs after that.

GoldenHeart

Illustrious
Here's the full sequence of events, for those who wanna weigh in.

I personally don't have a problem with the feat tbh, seems straightforward enough. Don't think Blast's statement has the intent to limit the scope of the energy's power, rather he's just talking about the possible consequences of the explosion that actually matter to him. Obviously he doesn't care about anything else being destroyed, seeing as he's willing to have it blow up seemingly hundreds of other stars/planets elsewhere in place of the earth.

Plus, even if he did say something like "it has the power to destroy the planet!" I'd imagine we're supposed to roll with feats > statements :easythere

The problem I have with that is two-fold:

1. Even if we go by Blast stating that as more of "I don't want the Earth to be destroyed", Murata and ONE have gone to great lengths to otherwise point out how much damage and insanity certain feats are in OPM. We got how fast Flashy Flash has moved plenty of times with an actual timer showing how much time elapsed. We have had characters straight up be threats to the entire city and seen the power get demonstrated and so on and so forth. So going with that interpretation doesn't work for One Punch Man.

2. Yeah, we do go with Feats > Statements as a general perogative... but there's LIMITS to that or else, we would basically become VSB on the major account of how those feats can contradict shit.
We primarily go with Feats > Statements but we use statements to bolster the feat. If there's nothing to tie the feat down, then we go with the best possible interpretation we can and the biggest problem with the feat is that we clearly see the energy couldn't have left the Solar System, the last place it was in was just going past the Earth and Moon and Saitama and Garou was blown away by it... so then it should have affected the Solar System... but it didn't.

So yeah, that's my general issue with those points.

GoldenHeart

Illustrious
The problem I have with that is two-fold:

1. Even if we go by Blast stating that as more of "I don't want the Earth to be destroyed", Murata and ONE have gone to great lengths to otherwise point out how much damage and insanity certain feats are in OPM. We got how fast Flashy Flash has moved plenty of times with an actual timer showing how much time elapsed. We have had characters straight up be threats to the entire city and seen the power get demonstrated and so on and so forth. So going with that interpretation doesn't work for One Punch Man.
This would still have us take the author's supposed intent of how he wants his characters power to be perceived over the work itself, though, which i'm not sure would fly.
2. Yeah, we do go with Feats > Statements as a general perogative... but there's LIMITS to that or else, we would basically become VSB on the major account of how those feats can contradict shit.
We primarily go with Feats > Statements but we use statements to bolster the feat. If there's nothing to tie the feat down, then we go with the best possible interpretation we can and the biggest problem with the feat is that we clearly see the energy couldn't have left the Solar System, the last place it was in was just going past the Earth and Moon and Saitama and Garou was blown away by it... so then it should have affected the Solar System... but it didn't.
The beam is still travelling past even the page of the manga itself, though? Why would we assume it stopped right there?

Additionally, if this was the case, and the explosion occured within the solar system, how does that explain the void in space? What else would have caused it if not the unnatural element in question?

This would still have us take the author's supposed intent of how he wants his characters power to be perceived over the work itself, though, which i'm not sure would fly.

And the opposite problem is that we should take outliers that aren't fully explained over what can be explained.
It's a slippery slope to be sure.

The beam is still travelling past even the page of the manga itself, though? Why would we assume it stopped right there?

Additionally, if this was the case, and the explosion occured within the solar system, how does that explain the void in space? What else would have caused it if not the unnatural element in question?

That's the problem though, we have no idea where the Beam stopped so why do we believe they sent it into a different Galaxy altogether?
And if we go by the opposite deal, then how isn't the Solar System is destroyed if we go by it being able to destroy "Countless Stars?"
If it's just the same size as the Earth, then it's easily explained as more of a Void which would be strong but nowhere near Multi-Star System like people are going with and further explains what we later see.

GoldenHeart

Illustrious
And the opposite problem is that we should take outliers that aren't fully explained over what can be explained.
It's a slippery slope to be sure.
Would it be an outlier in their case tho?
The two are basically the top dogs of the verse so far afaik, so they'd be the ones that inform us of the limits of the verse. Remember GM making a similar argument for why continent level OP coulnd't be an outlier since it was Whitebeard i.e the World's Strongest Man who performed the feat.
That's the problem though, we have no idea where the Beam stopped so why do we believe they sent it into a different Galaxy altogether?
The logical conclusion would be that it stopped where the void is, as otherwise anything close to the solar system would directly affect the earth. Don't think it went to a different galaxy altogether tho, that's wank.
And if we go by the opposite deal, then how isn't the Solar System is destroyed if we go by it being able to destroy "Countless Stars?"
Because it didn't explode in the solar system :easythere
If it's just the same size as the Earth, then it's easily explained as more of a Void which would be strong but nowhere near Multi-Star System like people are going with and further explains what we later see.
Wym earth sized? Is it because of this panel, the thing on the left? :hmcuz that's clearly not what exploded, otherwise the earth would be destroyed. What blew up (as we see in the later panel) is the condensed explosion deflected away from the planet. Anything else woulnd't make sense since, like i said, if it was that close it would obviously cause ruckus on the earth.

Would it be an outlier in their case tho?
The two are basically the top dogs of the verse so far afaik, so they'd be the ones that inform us of the limits of the verse. Remember GM making a similar argument for why continent level OP coulnd't be an outlier since it was Whitebeard i.e the World's Strongest Man who performed the feat.

Yeah? It still would be if there is the absence of evidence for that case.
And to go on the opposite spectrum, we had the same deal when it came to DBS until it was fully clarified that the Universe was in danger during God Goku vs. Beerus multiple times. The Absence of Evidence depends on a case by case basis.

The logical conclusion would be that it stopped where the void is, as otherwise anything close to the solar system would directly affect the earth. Don't think it went to a different galaxy altogether tho, that's wank.

Then how can we say that the void is Multi-Star System+ then?

Because it didn't explode in the solar system :easythere

That's not proof that it did or didn't explode in the Solar System.

Wym earth sized? Is it because of this panel, the thing on the left? :hmcuz that's clearly not what exploded, otherwise the earth would be destroyed. What blew up (as we see in the later panel) is the condensed explosion deflected away from the planet. Anything else woulnd't make sense since, like i said, if it was that close it would obviously cause ruckus on the earth.

Who says that it's bigger than the Earth or not similar in the sense of where it exploded from? And again, you can say that for any of Saitama's more ludicrous feats not tearing up more shit than we have seen before. We can't go "It makes no sense if it was near Earth because then Earth should have felt the massive wave" but then go "Well Saitama somehow didn't destroy the Atmosphere when he was against Boros or killed Genos when he fought him in that warmup fight because reasons" soon after.
The Absence of Evidence is The Absence of Evidence.

GoldenHeart

Illustrious
Just to clarify things, what do you think happened in those panels exactly? :hm

My recollection is:
-Saitama and Garou clash
-Blast tries to contain the explosion caused by them
-Blast condenses the explosion and deflects it away from earth
-the energy explodes
-we see a void in space away from earth

Those events are the same, the issue is that how far did the energy go to say it's Multi-Star System as we don't see where the blast go at all, just that it flies away from the Earth and Moon and second, Blast's own words for the subject itself.

Top59

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
I'm going to give my opinion, it may or may not be wrong but let's see.

when Saitama and Garou collide, it is mentioned that this impact will destroy the Earth, although there are fictions that a character says one thing and they end up being stronger (for example, Saga with his GE says he has the power of a galaxy exploding but then he damages a universal level gods with that attack) I find it curious that the vacuum has the same diameter as the Earth, and the shape of a sphere so exact is strange, I think there was more of a space effect there rather than destroying the stars, then the rest of the combat gives us more to understand that they are Large Planet level (perhaps more if someone sees an interesting way to get the KE of Jupiter that I sense that it can be a Small Star level feat).

Saitama and Garou pass the Planet level but I don't think they are Solar System, at least not for now.

GoldenHeart

Illustrious
Those events are the same, the issue is that how far did the energy go to say it's Multi-Star System as we don't see where the blast go at all, just that it flies away from the Earth and Moon and second, Blast's own words for the subject itself.
So basically, your main issue is on wether or not the energy and the void are related to each other? (Since it's not explicitly shown where the energy went?)
If that's the case, i don't see how occam's razor doesn't solve this.

The question would essentially be "did this occur through natural means?" (i.e: the void)
If this isn't the case, then the question becomes "what else could have caused it?" The sequence of panels then gives us our answer (Energy gets thrown into space > explosion happens > void in space)

What's more simple to assume once you've eliminated the natural element? An unexplained, non-implied, and invisible mechanism (like it being caused by Blast's spatial bs, like people suggested in the other thread?) or inference based upon an understood fantastical element of the story?

Flowering Knight

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
This is gonna be a fun thread.

z29Wvh4.gif

Back