• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

Soulsborne Discussion, Feats & Analysis

Darth Nihilus

Lord of QUALITY
V.I.P. Member
Damn Malenia really broke this nigga's buck :hestonpls

TBH I think Rot may be the worst status effect in the game besides madness and death. Everything else I can deal with. Top three easily. There's a reason why she's the hardest boss in the game. Hoarah Loux for a close second. Dude will tombstone piledrive you into Oblivion itself. And the fucking STOMPS.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet or not (I've been avoiding this thread in case of spoilers) but we see a globe of the world (or a moon) in Elden Ring.
8XYNlfD.jpg

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
he's at least MHS from being able to jump into the atmosphere and come back within a few seconds as well. I'm not sure if you could get reaction speed from him stopping things presumably lightyears away in their tracks or not though
Figured I'd bump this since Shadow of Erdtree should be getting some news soon, but I've been getting back into the lore and realized you can scale at minimum any character around an Onyx/Alabaster Lord's tier to some decently Hypersonic reaction speed. They are summoning meteors directly from a portal in space, and those have an average speed of around Mach 200. Given they are real meteorites, I don't have any reason to assume that the realtime animation speed is what they would be capped at.

Elden Stars also seems to most likely be referencing a meteor, as there are many gold meteorities in mines. So in a sense this was the last viable downplay method to debunk Radahn's feat, but it really doesn't work either. Unless the sun gets proven to be a fake in the DLC, we can take his stopping Constellations at face value. Gideon's staff also depicts an image of a galaxy, so again, these things aren't just talking about meteors here. There are "falling stars (meteors)" and very real celestial stars in its cosmology.

Paxton

One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds
V.I.P. Member
Figured I'd bump this since Shadow of Erdtree should be getting some news soon, but I've been getting back into the lore and realized you can scale at minimum any character around an Onyx/Alabaster Lord's tier to some decently Hypersonic reaction speed. They are summoning meteors directly from a portal in space, and those have an average speed of around Mach 200. Given they are real meteorites, I don't have any reason to assume that the realtime animation speed is what they would be capped at.

Elden Stars also seems to most likely be referencing a meteor, as there are many gold meteorities in mines. So in a sense this was the last viable downplay method to debunk Radahn's feat, but it really doesn't work either. Unless the sun gets proven to be a fake in the DLC, we can take his stopping Constellations at face value. Gideon's staff also depicts an image of a galaxy, so again, these things aren't just talking about meteors here. There are "falling stars (meteors)" and very real celestial stars in its cosmology.
another victory for radahnbros :mjpls

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member
he's the benchmark literally carrying the scaling on his back, every other character owes everything to his lore :skully
insane to think he is roughly on the lower end of the high tiers since Malenia, Placidusax, Godfrey, Maliketh, and Radagon should all be stronger than him. Maybe prime Rennala too since she fought Radagon's forces to a standstill?

the one that's really shocking though is Vyke, as he was the closest to becoming Elden Lord before he went full Frenzied Flame. That should be enough to give him the sick-Radahn scaling too.

NostalgiaFan

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
he's the benchmark literally carrying the scaling on his back, every other character owes everything to his lore :skully
insane to think he is roughly on the lower end of the high tiers since Malenia, Placidusax, Godfrey, Maliketh, and Radagon should all be stronger than him. Maybe prime Rennala too since she fought Radagon's forces to a standstill?

the one that's really shocking though is Vyke, as he was the closest to becoming Elden Lord before he went full Frenzied Flame. That should be enough to give him the sick-Radahn scaling too.
Man I can't wait for the DLC to drop, the Lore alone will make for even more copious amounts of memes along with the power scaling for us dweebs.:mjgrin

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member
Something else to note, the Elden Ring world used to have another moon, that was completely destroyed

A black, lightly beguiling stone.
Prized by the sorcerers who produce them.

Increases memory slots.

Said to be a fragment of the black moon that once hung above the Eternal City.

-Memory Stone
This legendary talisman is a treasure of Nokstella, the Eternal City.

Increases memory slots.

This talisman represents the lost black moon.
The moon of Nokstella was the guide of countless stars.

-Moon of Nokstella

We have absolutely no idea what happened to the moon as far as I can tell but it's more direct evidence that there actually are planetary and star level powers at work in the Elden Ring world considering a whole ass moon was obliterated with only tiny fragments left behind

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member
Hm, after listening to a few more videos citing more accurate translations at work, our understanding of the Outer Gods seems to be a bit off

first 6 minutes of this video roughly summarize it, but he has a whole hour long one where he spoke to translators to get a more insightful look at the wording and how the Japanese community understands them

tl;dr
The Outer Gods are not "Outer" in the Lovecraftian sense strictly, they're called that because they're outside the current system of the Erdtree, but they do seem to actually be creations of the Greater Will and more importantly, they are a part of the world of Elden Ring. This is why for example, the Rot Outer God actually is sealed below the Lake of Rot, and the Formless Mother is deep beneath the Earth. This also explains why the Greater Will isn't ever referred to as an Outer God, and it makes Hyetta's dialogue via the Frenzied Flame, where the Three Fingers assert that all things, seemingly including the Frenzied Flame, were made by the Greater Will, and the Frenzied Flame wants to return everything to the oneness that existed before reality was made.

There's a lot more supporting this interpretation cited but those are the broad strokes. This does not mean they aren't still abstract or cosmic in some form. The Rot God still obviously affects the world despite being sealed away, and is also still more powerful than the Demigods are, which would include the likes of Malenia, Radahn, etc. They just aren't of the cosmos or another plane specifically like we thought they were, they are fundamental forces of the world, closer to abstract or conceptual beings than anything else. He does argue the Fairy that aided the blind swordsman in sealing the Rot God was another Outer God but I'm not entirely sure why that is, although the Fairy and it/the swordsman's power is certainly never really explained.

Interestingly, considering the Greater Will is likely not an Outer God, you have four named Outer Gods
God of Rot
Formless Mother
Frenzied Flame
Dark Moon (not specified but almost certainly an Outer God and not a "God" like Marika, the Fell God, or Placidusax' consort)
and one unnamed fifth (God the Deathbirds worship)

Miyazaki has been using this element since Dark Souls 1, 4 Lords and 1 hidden 5th (Furtive Pygmy) and again in Dark Souls 3 (4 primary Lords of Cinder and Ludleth, another Pygmy, as an obscure fifth). The DLC seems like it is going to deal with afterlife or spirit realms (makes sense as Torrent, Ranni, and Melina are spirits), possibly the Helphen, so the fifth unnamed Outer God could play a role?

Paxton

One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds
V.I.P. Member
@OtherGalaxy Remind me where Radahn holding back actual genuine stars is from again?

(I know this thread is only 5 pages long but I'm lazy lmao)

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member
@OtherGalaxy Remind me where Radahn holding back actual genuine stars is from again?

(I know this thread is only 5 pages long but I'm lazy lmao)
it's kinda complicated
"star" is a catch all term in ER, it refers to meteors, actual stars, and entities like the Astel(s) and Fallingstar beasts. At the Starscourge (more accurately translated "Starcrusher") conflict, we see on his Heirloom one of these stars just a meteor falling towards him, which he destroyed. However, he also specifically halted the movement of constellations, as noted by Sellen and Iji, sorcerers who study the stars for a living. Given the actual Sun is referred to as a star in the Eclipse Crest Greatshield, we know that this is unlikely to mean meteors, as those are...not part of constellations, at least not generally. So he stopped both meteors and stars and fate.

One thing to note is in english Jerren says the Radahn fight begins when the stars align but the japanese text originally says something more along the lines of "when the constellations fill"
This is Lokey's explanation of that, though the exact meaning is still not 100% clear as Radahn holding the constellations is still very much why Ranni can't succeed in her plans
Although the localization has him evoke the phrase “stars align”, he actually refuses to let swathes of brave warriors attempt to slay Radahn together until these constellations have “filled” (満ちた) presumably the sky. In other words, the Radahn Festival date coincides with when the most stars actively make their presence known, attempting to influence fate on earth. This would naturally put a greater strain on the seal, thereby putting Radahn at his weakest for a ragtag army of warriors to slay. And when he is slain, the stars immediately restart their flow, one shooting down into Limgrave. Never could they hope to threaten Sellia again, imprisoned in the cosmos.
https://lokeysouls.com/2023/08/22/radahn/

Pretty much unless DLC proves the Sun isn't a sun, then some of those constellations he stopped have to be treated as real stars. We already know moons can be destroyed in Elden Ring as the Black Moon was, and I've gone at tremendous length why Radahn's phase transition involves him moving the world and why other explanations, like it actually being night all along, are untenable. Gideon's staff also showcasing a galaxy shows that sorcerers are aware of genuine cosmic phenomena at large.

Back