• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

The Elder Scrolls Feats and Discussion

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The idea with the skill trees being constellations was to have weapons in one hand, magic in another and look up to the stars to see where you are.
- What was the idea behind designing a skill tree that resembles constellations?

- I worked with the interface and wanted to take a step away from Excel spreadsheets and the typical system we find in RPGs. So I tried a number of options, including one where you look over your right shoulder to look at your weapons, left shoulder to check out the magic and the stars to see who you are. It was the foundation. In the previous Elder Scrolls games, we have also had the asterisk, and we would gather all these into one system.
There are an unlimited number of dragons (although this may be a gameplay thing due to respawns).
- Is there a set number of dragons in the game?

- No, there is an unlimited number of dragons. One of our designers actually put in a random event I encountered, where I ended up being chased by three dragons and I thought "who the hell did this?" I felt like Frodo in Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and was really frightened. So I asked him to remove it. But no, dragons are generated automatically (in addition to that there are a number of specific encounters, of course).

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Yet another reference to how the Vestige (in base, obviously) is weaker than Dovahkiin, and will need help fighting a dragon. It's also mentioned that the dragons in Skyrim are 'bent on the end of the world' while the dragons in Elsweyr are after revenge.
Is Elsweyr’s narrative going to be recognisable for Skyrim fans, or are these two very separate stories?

They’re separate stories, because the story of Skyrim is not about dragons. It’s about Dovahkiin. And in this game, you’re not Dovahkiin. So you are not Dragon Born. There was a civil war going on in Skyrim when they showed up, much like there is in Elsweyr, but the dragons don’t care about that. In Skyrim, obviously, they were bent on the end of the world, and in Elsweyr they are bent on revenge. So different motives, but they both go to interesting places.
Very curiously, the dragons in Elsweyr are refered to as being finite in number, not the full-on invasion seen in Skyrim. Todd Howard has previously refered to there being an infinite number of dragons in Skyrim; however, he meant this from a gameplay perspective (they respawn). So the implication that there might actually be a literal infinity of dragons (or potentially an infinity of dragons) in Skyrim is very interesting.
How easy has it been to bring Dragons to this new location?

This isn’t a dragon place like Skyrim was, where there were temples and a whole culture built up. An unknown number of dragons were trapped in the Halls of Colossus – this giant dungeon which was in Arena – for an unknown amount of time. Unwittingly Abnur Tharn has unleashed them on Elsweyr, and needs your help to fix the situation. But it’s a finite number. It’s not like a full-on invasion, like Skyrim. And the Khajiiti aren’t really equipped to handle them, there’s no culture of dragons there. But once you start playing through the story, you’ll start to learn things about the Khajiit and dragon history, which go to very interesting places.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
House Redoran drove the titanic Emperor Crabs of Morrowind to extinction.

Should any non-Redoran ask you why our arms and armor are inspired by the claws and chitin of gigantic arthropods, just ask them if they've seen any Emperor Crabs lately—you know, those cathedral-sized crustaceans that once roamed the ashlands of Vvardenfell. Where did those go?
We killed them. We, the warriors of House Redoran.

Duty, gravity, and piety: these are our watchwords. We are the wartime defenders of the House Dunmer of Morrowind. Follow the guidelines graven below for crafting in the Redoran style, and do not cut corners, for that would be unworthy of our House.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Ithegleoir is an immortal leviathan who's supposedly said to live in the Eltheric sees, and causes the sands to shift and the depths of the channels to change, and occasionally sinks ships.
What's that? You want to know about the Glenumbra Banks? I thought everyone knew about those shifting sand bars off the northwest coast of High Rock, the narrow islets that make seafaring there so dangerous close to shore. I myself have made a living for almost thirty years as a Daggerfall pilot, guiding merchant ships through the Banks in and out of the city's North Docks. And I'm well paid for the job, but the merchants don't complain—they see the rotting spars and twisted planks of the shipwrecks we pass as we wend our way through the channels.

Those channels are treacherous and ever-changing. When we go out in early Sun's Dawn to meet the first ship coming in to port after the winter storms, there are always numerous visible changes to the waterways—as well as invisible changes to their depths, which we must take care to map out by frequent use of the plumb-line.

But the fact is we must be ever on the lookout for changes in the Banks even in Mid Year and Sun's Height. Now, how is it that the sands shift the way they do, sometimes changing overnight even when there has been no storm? The Herne Current runs far offshore, and in summer the breeze the mariners call the Yokudan Zephyr blows steadily but gently from the west.

And yet, the sands shift, and the Banks change.

Well, stranger, I'll tell you the secret, so long as you're buying the drinks tonight in the Rosy Lion. It's Ithguleoir. Yes, you heard me right—the immortal leviathan of the Eltheric Ocean is no mere fable. Ithguleoir lives, and haunts the far depths of the sea … and sometimes the near shallows of the shore. He fills old channels in the Banks and dredges new ones. And when a ship runs aground on the sands, he rises from the waters and dines on its sailors, one by one.

I suppose you're entitled to look skeptical about that—so long as you buy another round, that is. But listen, I'm not just spinning an old salt's yarn. I've seen the thing. On nights when the moons are full and the sea is calm, you can sometimes glimpse the leviathan's oily back heaving above the surface as the old monstrosity digs his devious traps. Occasionally there's a geyser of sea-mist, like when a whale blows, but then the breeze wafts ashore a demonic stench that smells like it's blown from Oblivion.

So there: now you know. But let's just keep this between you, me, and the tavernkeeper's cat, shall we? The south harbor's too shallow for the big merchantmen, and Daggerfall depends on her sea-trade continuing to find its way in to the North Docks. As do I. And sailors are such a superstitious lot—no point in scaring them away. Eh?

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
An account of a colossal creature encountered on a voyage to High Isle, which describes a monstrousity that dwarves even the largest of the islands in the isles. Said to be able to swallow ships whole, it causes the skies to darken and the winds and seas to still, with an eye bigger than any mortal-made structure. Given the waters around the boat are described as turning black and the description of its colossal eye, it's possible that this was a creature from Apocrypha (which is connected to the seas), if not Mora himself (although the Coldharbour Compact prevents Mora from directly manifesting in the Mundus/Nirn).
On the eve we set sail for High Isle, an old sailor told me to heed this warning. A creature so massive it dwarfed even the largest islands, with a maw so large that it could swallow ships whole, and a presence so mighty it brought forth a stillness that could shake a sailor's very soul was prowling the depths between the mainland and the archipelago. He said they barely escaped this dark monstrosity on the voyage to High Rock, and it was sure to be the end of us all on the return journey.

At first, I was shaken by his tale. After a few ales, however, I laughed it off, thinking this crusty mariner's tall tale was just that—a yarn to scare inexperienced travelers.

As we sailed for the jewel of the Systres and could no longer see the shore, the sky met the water ahead of us. Then, without warning all went still. The wind fled from our sails and the ship came to rest on the flat, unmoving sea.

The uncommon silence clawed at our ears. It was so unbearable that every soul upon our vessel stood paralyzed. The sky darkened, yet there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Rather, a vast darkness, unimaginably large, rose from the depths for what seemed an eternity before once again slipping below the surface.

The shadow now loomed below us, turning the water so black that it seemed to come from the realm of Nocturnal herself. The leviathan beneath loomed ever nearer. Our vessel bobbed in this silent void as the darkness spread to color the sea around us.

A glow from beneath, something bright green, suddenly appeared in that abyss. It took me a moment to recognize it for what it was—an eye so vast, it dwarfed any structure built by man or mer. It peered up, penetrating my very soul. It blinked only once, the pupil a monstrous slit.

Just as quickly as it appeared, the eye vanished. The waters began to shift from inky black to a more natural sapphire blue once more. The darkness receded and this leviathan disappeared into the depths without a trace. The wind returned to fill our sails, and we continued on.

Until the day I perish, I will swear to what I saw. A creature larger than anything you could ever imagine, lurking just beneath the waves.

Waiting.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
A witness says they saw a ship getting smashed to splinters by a tentacles monster from the depths.
We were heading WEST when we spotted a ship on the horizon. Suddenly tentacles emerged from below and crushed the vessel into splinters. The captain ordered us to change course—right into pirate-infested waters.
Tentacles appear as a creature (or attached to an underwater creature) in Redguard.
RG-creature-Tentacle.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
A necromancer ban become a lych by pressing their soul through a phylactery, which allows them to divest body and soul, and access the tremendous power contained within the soul (the removal of these boundaries results in a 'virtually limitless magical horizon').
Vestige: How does it work?
Vastarie:
This is just academic curiosity, right? Because I can't overstate the risks.
To become a lich, the necromancer must press their soul through an arcane vessel called a phylactery. This requires a lifetime of study, mind you, and fierce power of will.
Vestige: How does that make the mage more powerful?
Vastarie:
Souls contain tremendous power, but they place certain checks on mortal will. Divesting the two—soul and mortal form—removes these boundaries. The effect is a virtually limitless magical horizon.
The process extracts a heavy toll, of course.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Rich Lambert says that he refered to the Oblivion Players guide when creating the Blackwood expansion for ESO.
As The Elder Scrolls Online’s Creative Director, Rich Lambert was actually a part of the team that developed 2006’s Oblivion. In preparation for Blackwood, Rich pulled out an old copy of an Oblivion ‘Player’s Guide’ to re-acquaint himself with the feel of that game. Others in the team did the same, albeit in other ways. Some replayed The Elder Scrolls IV from start to finish, others watched Let’s Play videos that ran for several hours. “Across the board somebody on the team knows the answer to pretty much any question that anyone could ask,” Rich explains. “Not just with that game but any Elder Scrolls or what happened in a specific era or place. It's awesome working with a group of people that invested in Elder Scrolls.”

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
An interview with Rich Lamert and Greg Roth, which goes into the details of the Clockwork City. Clockwork City is extraplanar in nature (thus many who end up there get stuck there).

4:17
Greg Roth: So, because Clockwork City is sort of extraplanar, most people get here the old fashioned way. They find a way down to the Vault either by accident or by deliberate exploration. And some of them can't get out. It's very difficult to get out of Clockwork City once you're in.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Another interview regarding Clockwork City from Rich Lambert and Greg Roth. The ideas for the DLC was run by Bethesda, and getting the aesthetic down was challenging.
Broken Joysticks: I love the overall aesthetic of the Clockwork City DLC that has been shown so far. It’s a lot different than anything else you’d find in Tamriel.

ESO Devs: Absolutely, it was so great to work on with our art team. We ran things past Bethesda and getting the aesthetic down was challenging, but I think we pulled it off really well.
Everything that you see in Clockwork City is a fabricated version of something that exists in Tamriel, such as rocks, trees and the very leaves on the trees.
Broken Joysticks: What inspired the direction that you ultimately went with for Clockwork City and what are some of the artistic features that players will notice the first time they visit?

ESO Devs: When we originally drew up the concept art for [Clockwork City] we had a lot of challenges trying to figure out how we’d make a world that is synthetic but not so alien that it was unrecognizable not just to The Elder Scrolls fans but fans of fantasy in general. You’ll notice that the areas are fairly straightforward – there’s some rocks, trees, as you’d expect. As you get closer to objects you begin to realize that everything is made of stone and metal. This might look like a tree but the leaves are made out of metal foil and the bark is fiber metal material. Everything you see in The Clockwork City is a fabricated version of something you would see in the rest of Tamriel.
Everything in Clockwork City is created from a process called sintering, and even the 'skybox' (that is to say, the sky) is artificial.
Broken Joysticks: I’ve noticed in The Clockwork City there were runes or some kind of designs floating in the sky. I can’t really think of another zone in ESO that has a skybox that is this animated.

ESO Devs: Everything in Clockwork City is created from forged metal or a process called sintering. We made this really amazing landscape and if you look up even the skybox is artificial. We did have to be mindful of the number of objects we were animating as it pertains to fixtures. It’s easy to go overboard and keep adding stuff and [jokingly] cause people’s graphics cards to fry. The scene graph makes really large strides possible making the Clockwork City perform well and look fantastic at the same time.
The Brass Fortress is the only part of Clockwork City thats inhabitable for people from Tamriel to live, and it's here that Sotha Sil's priests, scientists, politicians & everyone else lives. Sotha Sil goes into long periods of rest, sometimes for decades or even centuries.
ESO Devs: [Referencing a particular NPC our party was standing in front of] This is a representative of the Clockwork Apostles. They are a combination of Sotha Sil’s priests, scientists and those who run the government in this part of the Clockwork City, known as the Brass Fortress. The Brass Fortress is the only place in the Clockwork City that is safe for people to live. Members of the Clockwork Apostles are very devoted to Sotha Sil even though some of them may not get to see him in their lifetime. Sotha Sil goes into long periods of rest – sometimes decades or even centuries long. His apostles follow his teachings and some even attempt to emulate him by replacing their arms or their eyes with clockwork prosthetics.
The pages of books and even the animals are all mechanical.
Broken Joysticks: [As we enter the Clockwork Basilica] So what is going on in this place?

ESO Devs: Even our [building] interiors, we are able to play around with “what is a world where there is no easy access to wood & food like? Paper isn’t too terribly common, and people do bring it in from the outside sometimes, but what do you make a book look like? All of these are metal plates that have been etched on. Sometimes they bind these plates together into large volumes as well.

Broken Joysticks: I couldn’t help but notice the little minion pet that you had following you..

ESO Devs: Yup, that is one of the things that you get when you have the DLC and you walk into The Brass Fortress for the first time. Dovah-fly being the Tamriel equaling of an Earth dragonfly. It is a cute little thing that flies around and is made completely out of clockwork parts.
The Imperfect is a giant Fabricant seen also in the Tribunal expansion of Morrowind, though the version met in Clockwork City is an earlier prototype. Any martially minded Clockwork Apostles can test their skills against the Imperfect, and Sotha Sil automated the test chamber to collect data automatically. The Imperfect will always be imperfect, no matter how strong it gets.
ESO Devs: There are two new Delves, but there is not a public dungeon in this zone. We do have two full quest locations that are set apart from the main story – each zone has its own plot and resolution. The DLC has two delves, two quest locations, the full main story of everything that happens in the Clockwork City and a whole mess of repeatable content.

One of the two World Bosses is “The Imperfect”. Players may remember from The Tribunal expansion from The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, The Imperfect was a giant Fabricant that you fought in the Clockwork City dungeon towards the end of that expansion. That Clockwork City dungeon was a series of interconnected rooms that didn’t really have much to it. Getting a chance to build this whole zone to kind of show what is beyond that was a challenge.

Our Imperfect is an earlier version of the same creature from Tribunal. We want to make little callbacks like that where we can without retreading old stuff. Players who are familiar [with TES III] will recognize the content and see the prototype that our Imperfect is.

The area that housed The Imperfect has been set aside by Sotha Sil as a testing ground for his creation. Any martially minded Apostles can come and test their skills here and Sotha Sil has automated the test chamber to automatically collect data. He’s always trying to perfect things and he’s never really been satisfied with this particular project, so it’s always going to be imperfect no matter how strong it gets.
The Shadowcleft is a pocket dimension of Nocturnal's Daedric realm, which is designed to look familiar to Tamriel, but exists in a state of perpetual twilight.
ESO Devs: The Shadow Cleft exists as a pocket dimension of the Nocturne’s Daedric Realm, her realm is designed to look a lot like some familiar Tamriel sights but the entire realm is in a perpetual state of twilight. There are her Daedric servants, as well as a new form of Daedra that is exclusive to this DLC, as well as a shadow version of creatures that live in Tamriel.

One of the creatures in The Shadow Cleft, Shrikes, are Nocturne’s answer to the creature that is sort of humanoid forms of the Daedric Princes. Shrikes are big into Shadow Magic [such as] calling in ravens to attack the player or commanding weaker foes to act as their minions. There is one other way creepier Daedra that we won’t be discussing today but you’ll get a chance to see it when you get the DLC. It is also the other World Boss featured in the Clockwork City DLC.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
From Lord of Souls, Hierem places wards to prevent anyone from lockpicking or prying, which can be countered with a soul-maze (such as those made by the Aylieds).
For an awful moment he didn’t think it would work, that Aronil was either wrong about what he faced or that the Ayleid soul-maze was old beyond functioning, but then the daedra suddenly dwindled, formed a stream that flew into the box, and was gone.
Colin closed the soul-maze and put it back in his pocket, silently thanking Aronil for showing him the book. Then he looked around to see what other wards were waiting to kill him.
Hierem laces wards and enchantments on Attrebus & Sulæß prison cells to prevent them both from escaping.
He hoped the minister would just pass through, but he didn’t—he stopped at Sul’s cage and touched the bars, which glowed briefly. Then he stepped back and seemed to examine the unconscious man for a few moments.
“There are more than locks here,” Sul informed them.
“I can see that,” the man replied. “Just give me a few moments of quiet.”
The man studied Attrebus’s cell. He closed his eyes, concentrating on something. Attrebus felt the hairs stand up on his neck.
After a few moments the man seemed satisfied and touched the lock. It clicked, and the door swung open. “Who are you?” Attrebus asked.
“I’m Colin Vineben,” the man replied. “If you’ll just come with me, highness—”
“Sul. Get Sul out.”
Colin studied Sul’s cell. “That will be harder,” he said. “That will require time.”
It takes Colin half an hour to deactivate the wards keeping Attrebus and Sul prisoner.
“Hierem must have really been worried about you,” Colin remarked almost half an hour later, as the last of the wards finally succumbed.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
A Legion consists of around 5000 soldiers.
Takar had about five thousand men with him, mostly mounted infantry and mages. She could see them formed up in a huge field, along with some eight large wagons that might be siege engines of some sort.
Around half of the Legion (including their siege weapons) suddenly fly into the sky to combat Umbriel, while the rest remain on the ground to fight the wormies.
Mazgar heard the distant shock as the front lines met a few seconds after it actually happened, and for a while that was the last time she watched the ground battle—because the air war had begun. Half of the legion suddenly left the ground, along with the wagons, and flew toward the city.
“Oh, yeah!” Brennus whooped, so loudly it startled her almost as much as watching an army fly.
Lightning and flame fills the sky during this battle. However, the forces of Umbriel win, and the army is wiped out.
When they got near Umbriel, she saw something coming to meet them. She had seen them before; they looked like birds, at least from a distance. They would drop down and then appear to dissolve, turning into trails of smoke. Brennus told her that they were the spirits that took over the bodies of the newly dead, and lost corporeal form when they passed through the rim of the bubble of Oblivion the city traveled in.
But the Imperials were now apparently inside that bubble, and the bird-things were smashing into them in swarms. Lightning and flame seemed to fill the sky, and the soldiers with her cheered. But their cheers dropped away when it became clear that most—if not all—of the bodies dropping wore Imperial colors.
It was over in less than an hour; one of the wagons made it as far as the rim, but none of the others even got close, at least not that she saw.
The Synod magic'd almost 3000 soldiers and their siege weapons into the air in order to fight Umbriel, as well as a hundred other magics, but all failed.
“The Emperor can’t be convinced to evacuate, if that’s even possible now. General Takar made a preliminary strike—he took
a legion. The Synod managed to spell almost three thousand of them airborne, but some sort of flying daedra killed them all in short order. Other magicks were tried—I’m told over a hundred—with no result. As if they knew in advance what we were going to do and were prepared for it. So now we know a lot about what doesn’t work.”

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Good news everyone! I found a fantastic interview with Leomon Tuttle, where he goes into lots of deep ideas. To start with, almost all of TES's lore is given from an in-universe perspective, and the bias that comes with it.
A: But how does that perspective, which is incredibly broad, how does that perspective inform how you write about Tamriel? or Nirn, just keep it in broader?

LT: I mean, well, with respect to Elder Scrolls, generally, or specifically, it’s tremendously important because everything that the player gets is through the lens of one of those characters, right? There’s nobody outside of the game saying “it’s XYZ, and that’s just how it is!” or whatever. So you have to have a really solid understanding of how people in that universe think because that’s how you’re getting the information. So it kind of feeds on itself. It’s like you have to know the lore in order for the people in the game, who know the lore to explain the lore. It’s like this weird kind of cyclical thing. But yeah, and just thinking about needing to be able to think about it in that sort of a way.
Following directly from this, this brings about how the Monomyth is the story that everyone is adjacent to, even if there are different interpretations of how it all happened.
A: And what’s that mean for how you think about the process of making lore? This is possibly getting a bit of ahead of ourselves from the questions, but I just thought this was too good a segue to ignore. When you say, “think about what they’re thinking about and how they’re thinking about it”; so one character in the lore says they’re seeing a circle and one character in the lore says they’re seeing a square, right? Is there a cylinder behind that? Is there some sort of… I’m trying to describe, describe something visually…

LT: Are you talking about like, sort of a pan Tamriel, like shared narrative kind of thing?

A: Yeah.

LT: So I mean, there’s, there’s things like the Monomyth that kind of sets the table, it’s sort of the [story] that everybody kind of is adjacent to. You may not necessarily be on the same page with with how it all is laid out, but there is, there’s a kind of a shared basis of basic cosmological ideas that everything kind of taps into. So in that way, even if you’re looking at things, and you’re looking at them in a completely different way. You know, I think that when cultures are able to understand each other, even when those those differences are pretty, pretty big, you know?
With the antiquities system, the team sought to blend gameplay and lore, as well as to show people things that they loved from places & eras ESO hasn't really visited (such as the Alessian Era), as well as showing them something new all together. Some things they'd want to keep a mystery, but they'd always be happy seeing people get excited about certain lore they put in the game.
A: Yeah, yeah. And just thinking about how that truth gets presented, the antiquities system is an absolutely fantastic way of doing that, merging lore and gameplay in a way that we haven’t really seen before in the games. When you were trying to conceptualize the types of lore that you could develop for that, what was the thought processes, and.. I don’t really want to say the word limit. But that’s kind of what I’m getting at.

LT: So we wanted to do two things. We wanted to expand on the stuff that people are really passionate about, and they know a lot about, right, like the Alessian stuff. And the things that people have been have been asking to see for a very long time, but hadn’t actually seen yet. So there was that. And then there was also there’s, let’s show people things that they have never seen before that there isn’t a whole lot of underlying lore behind. And so you’ve got the kind of familiar and the unfamiliar. And you have a lot of people worked on it, Andrew Young actually created most of the the list of the things that we should be looking at.

And, you know, he kind of batted around, saying, oh, this can be this, this can be cool. And this can be cool. And we hope to keep adding to it. So, there’s going to be more and more cool things that you can throw in your house or wear or whatever.

Yeah, so, I mean, in terms of in terms of limits, there are definitely things that we want to keep a mystery as much as possible. So we had, bouncing ideas around and were like “ooh, it could be this!” and then we’re like “no we can’t do that, we can’t do that.” But yeah, I’m happy with the list of things that we put out. I think people really dig them. I remember going on to Twitter, the day after it all came out and everybody was losing their minds like, “Oh my god, did you see the Alessia statue!?” or whatever, and it was really cool, really rewarding. Everybody is really happy.
With TES, they seek to combine the great cosmic issues with the everyday mundane issues (the secrets of the Universe, who are bricks made, etc). Thus, with the in-universe opinions on the antiquities, there are a varying number of opinions on different artifacts.
A: One of the things that fascinated me is that it’s a different type of lore, that’s being put through than things like, well, for this podcast. We’re often framed around the big questions, the “deep stuff” in inverted commas, right? These big, cosmic mysteries and so on. It feels like Antiquities is almost going entirely the opposite direction, going into the day to day details of life, and the kind of day to day “ceremonial” and the way that people’s lives are lived in a way that we haven’t really seen that much before, in how the lore has been presented.

LT: Yeah, I think that’s absolutely right. I was a history major history and philosophy major when I was in college. And I mean, history is all about, you get the big themes, but it’s also all about the mundane stuff, right? It’s because that’s your window into that world, right? So we do it with the “stealies”, too, in terms of just stuff that you find around the house, when you’re robbing somebody blind, whatever they can do to get a look into Tamrielic life. But personally, I really like getting to the kind of like, nitty gritty, hard, specific stuff about like, is the statue of Boethra, or it’s a statue of so and so. And it’s like, that’s cool. But what is it made of? How did they – who made it? What is it? Those are the kinds of questions that I think are really interesting, because not only do they give you a better sense of what’s going on in the world, but they also make things more real, because you’ve got to think about that stuff.

I think it’s sometimes it’s, you want to get into these huge things, and then you’ve got to have that strong foundation at the bottom, or it doesn’t feel real.

A: That’s something that I found that several fantasy universes will kind of skip out. There’ll be creation myths and the big cosmologies, and there’ll be dragons, but at the end of the day, how do they make bricks?

LT: Right. Exactly. And I think there’s two schools of thought. Both are tremendously flawed, like, one of them is, as a writer, “I’m going to focus strictly on these huge themes, and it’s going to be unbelievable, it’s gonna blow your mind!” And then, like you said, there’s no, there’s no floor to that. Or you can do like me sometimes and get so caught up in how do you make bricks, then spend hours looking at brickmaking. And then it’s like, was that was that really relevant? Did we need to know everything about making bricks? I think they inform each other. I think you need both to make a compelling universe, for sure.
There are multiple universities across Tamriel.
A: Are there any other universities on Tamriel, now that I think about it, because I saw the University of Gwylim getting associated with this, and it seems to have its fingers in a lot of pies, all originally developed off the back of one text that talks about the movements of men across Cyrodiil, if I remember correctly, but it seems to be the only real, what I would call academic institution as such on Tamriel. Am I missing some somewhere?

LT: I mean, there’s, you’ve got the College the Sapiarchs, so there are there are other universities. I think that that the the Gwylim guys have universal appeal, which is why everybody’s invited in a way that some of the other universities are a little bit more, you know, at arm’s length.
Leoman Tuttle says that the 36 Lessons of Vivec had an influence on him when writing The Truth In Sequence, although he wasn't just trying to replicate that again. Instead, he presented a series of texts similar to the 36 Lessons, with big cosmological issues within.
A: Then in the 36 Lessons you have “Anu and his double, which Love knows never happened” so I can’t help but see some similarities in there.

LT: Oh, yeah. Yeah, I mean, I would be lying if I said the 36 Lessons had no influence on me. Like I was just doing my own thing. If anything 36 Lessons are so brilliant, that I think if I had said “I’m gonna do 36 Lessons again!”, it would have been a mess. I think that would be a ridiculous attempt. So it’s it’s definitely it’s own thing and we wanted to present you know, big, crazy heady, cosmological issues in it and so I think it’s evocative in ways that are similar to the 36 Lessons, I guess. There’s a lot of you know, kind of like Zen koans and you know, weird stuff going on in there.

So yeah, there’s there’s definitely similarities, but yeah, I definitely did. not go in trying to try to do 36 Lessons: part two, because that would just be a mess. I love I love Love, love, love, love that book series. So, yeah, it’s,
On Argonians, Tuttle says they are his favourite race as they're totally alien in physiology, culture & faith to all the other peoples of Tamriel, and that they'd consider the very idea of revolution to be an illusion (in relation to Dagon, who's spheres include revolution). He also says that Shadowscales are interesting due to their relationship with Sithis.
A: Because you’ve mentioned before, Argonians are your favorite races in all Tamriel? Or maybe the favorite race? Is there a reason for that?

LT: Uh, yeah, there’s a lot of reasons I like that. They’re weird. They’re alien. They have a completely different faith system, a completely different cultural organization, different physiology. They’re just completely other than everybody else on the continent. And I think there’s something really fascinating about that. And then we’re given an opportunity to develop some of the specifics of how that society works. When you take a society and you take the idea of time out of it, like what happens? Everything about the Argonians that we’ve developed, it all comes from that central idea that time is is far less relevant than most people think it is. And you combine that with their relationship with the Hist and you get a really interesting culture. That’s very, very different, and I like different things.

A: Yes. I’d almost say it’s maybe not time, but progress. I was talking with, in the latest Selectives Lorecast that we recorded yesterday, we were going through Mehrunes Dagon, and one of his big things is revolution, I was curious as to what the difference was between what Dagon does and what the Hist have done in relation to Sithis with the Argonians, this idea of there’s no progress, but there’s constant change.

LT: Yeah, exactly. I think Argonians would baulk at the idea of revolution, because that implies that there’s something to revolt against. And for the Argonians, that entire idea is an illusion, there’s nothing, there’s no thing that you’re rising up against. That’s the kind of folly that makes all these other people build these giant castles for no reason, because they’re all gonna fall down. And there’s that time just goes, and you just go with it, and whatever happens happens, and change is inevitable, there’s nothing they can do to really change it, to get in the way of it or to rebel against it, or to do any of that. You just have to flow with it. Sithis is a kind of an avatar of change, I think that’s how they make that connection.

I think Shadowscales are interesting in terms of their relationship with Sithis, but yeah, they just the idea of, not not so much. I don’t know, I feel like “revolutionary” implies that there’s these discrete moments in time, where you have to change course, so you have to do something. And it’s just that’s not at all the case. It’s that all that is an illusion, the only thing that you can maybe say, there was a revolution in history was, the period of transition between the stone building parts of their history, and then the current parts of their history. We don’t know how long that took or why it took place. But I think that that the idea that there’s these giant stone things that last a really long time, I think that’s kind of antithetical to the basics of their whole system
There is no single monolithic Argonian culture, and the Argonians are all divided into different tribes and groups.
A: Yeah: And we’ve got, I think, at least two distinct Argonian subcultures existing in Oblivion in various ways, because we’ve got the ones in Coldharbour and the one and the ones in Clavicus Vile’s realm at the moment, I don’t think they… no, they won’t have broken away and formed Umbriel yet. So there’s definitely all sorts of bits we can dig into with the Argonains since, and again, you’ve been very, very careful to say that all these creation myths are “for one tribe and not otherwise attested”.

LT: Exactly. Yeah, cuz that’s one thing Lawrence, made very clear too, before he left is that the idea that there’s this monolithic culture that all Argonians ascribe to is ridiculous, that just doesn’t work. The only kind of Pan-Argonian idea, I think, is just this idea of change and just having to having to go with it in whatever way seems appropriate. And also this idea of radical forgiveness, which is, if you have a society that’s full of all these tribes with disparate ideas about what you should do, and it hasn’t just collapsed in on itself in constant perpetual war, there must be something there. Which kind of keeps the peace or whatever. And I think the idea of the virtue of forgetfulness, I think is something that that is cool, because people get so caught up in holding on to things and saying things can’t change. And if you just say, no, it’s okay to let that go, let it pass, you know. I think that there’s something profoundly healthy about that. I think the Argonians are kind of the only culture that have figured that out because everybody else gets so stuck. I think.
Certain Argonian factions in the most recent era (the 4th Era) seem to have moved away from the ideals of the older argonians, and in the case of the An-Xileel, are moving more towards conquest of huge swaths of Tamriel. Whichever the reason is, it's either due to the Hist, or a collective ignoring of the Hist.
A: – they seem to be more accepting of outsiders. At the very least I don’t know about acceptance of change as such. Because they’re caught, they’re relatively hidebound to tradition, still. You’ve still got the Silvenar, the Green Lady and that structure. But because everything is perchance with the Bosmer and so on that, again, they they’re edging towards that.

And I think, actually, in the more modern Tamrielic history the Argonians are possibly swinging away from that idea a bit.

LT: Oh, with the An-Xileel and stuff?

A: Yeah

LT: That’s one of those interesting things is trying to try to figure out how that works. How do you how do you go from this… and it’s kind of talked about a little bit in the Blackwater War books, is how do you have this kind of culture that very rapidly, can become very scary. I mean, you have the whole Argonian slave narrative. We definitely wanted to get away from that during Murkmire, we wanted to present Argonian culture separate from that whole part, which has, unfortunately become one of the central pillars of how they identified Argonians was this like, so… But then you think about, once the whole An-Xileel stuff happens, and conquering huge swaths of Tamriel or whatever, you’re like, “Well, shit, where did that come from?” They had it in them, right? Like, I mean the idea that they charged into Oblivion and pushed all the Oblivion Gates closed and stuff. I always thought that was really cool. But yeah, how do you go from fun, pastoral kind of lay in the mud, everything’s cool and groovy, to we’re gonna become this incredibly warlike people, and I think that some of it has got to do with the Hist, right? I mean, either the Hist thought that that needed to happen for whatever reason. Or maybe there was a concerted effort to ignore what the Hist was saying? I don’t know. But it’s really interesting. It’s a very interesting period in Argonian history. I’m really interested to see where that goes if we keep moving forward in the timeline.
The duality (or what seems to be duality but may be much more complext) conflict between Padomay and Anu is brought up in a very interesting way, with Tuttle saying these forces may be bigger than what we think they are.
A: Yeah, I think that’s, that’s pretty much everything I kind of wanted to run through. It feels like we’ve just gone through it out of a break a bit of a breakneck pace. Is there anything else you wanted to go through?

LT: Yeah, well, no, I mean, if we had the whole thing about, in your podcast, I thought it was really interesting that the whole thing about the contrast between kind of the Padomaic values of the Chimer and Velothi stuff versus the Anuic stuff, in Clockwork City so I’m happy to talk about that too, because I thought that I think it’s really interesting.

A: Okay, just to pick up all that whole Anuic-Padomaic thread then. But I think that’s always the time that it’s all it’s always a term that I don’t like the Anuic versus Padomaic side of things. Because in my opinion, Anu doesn’t act Anuic, and Padomay doesn’t act Padomaic

LT: [laughs] In what way?

A: In the Anuad, Anu is desperate to get back to how things were, he wants to recreate Nir, as close as he can, or what Nir created, which was the Twelve Worlds. And so he’s not wanting things to be static, he’s trying to go backwards. Whereas Padomay, he doesn’t particularly want change, Padomay just wants Nir for himself. Being Padomaic is being selfish, in my opinion, if we’re going to go with what Padomay actually did, as opposed to actually wanting change. I don’t know, I’m just not happy with Anuic and Padomaic as descriptive of stasis and change.

LT: I know they’re meant to be cosmic forces, right? It’s tough. I mean, all those dualisms, just by virtue of the fact that the dualisms, 99 times out of 100, it’s BS, right? It’s sloppy thinking, it’s basically saying, “I’m going to take this incredibly complex world or these incredibly complex concepts, I’m going to distill them down to these two opposite things, and then that’s how the world works”. I think it’s always more complicated than that. It has to be. I think it makes complete sense that Anu and Padomay might be behaving oddly, because I think they’re they’re bigger than what we say they are. But I think that stasis and change are important concepts, even if they don’t necessarily correspond with how those forces work in practice, I feel like that there’s two competing ideas [that] really inform a lot of the cultures for sure. So yeah, I think it’s one of those useful binaries that isn’t necessarily true.
Sotha Sil comes from a 'Padomaic tradition' with the Chimer/Dunmer, but eventually came to live by a more Anuic philosophy (although thinking over it, the Clockwork City is Padomaic as well in a way, as it's always changing and being upgraded and changing the world of Tamriel/Nirn/Mundus to reach Tamriel Final). Thus did Sotha Sil bring about his theory that there is no Padomay. Leoman Tuttle also says he had a really hard time getting the idea of Clockwork City to work in a Padomaic context.
A: Yeah, it’s, it’s a useful tool.

LT: Right. Exactly. So with with Sotha Sil, he comes from a quote-unquote Padomaic tradition, because he was a Chimer right, that was their bag. And I think there’s a specific rejection of Azura at one point, where he’s basically like, “we’re done with that, we’re gonna be the gods that you guys can’t be or won’t be” or whatever. I think that in and of itself means turning their back on those forces., I don’t know, I think that that pushes him… I think Sotha Sil’s story, for me, personally, is I’ve always had a hard time reconciling the idea of Clockwork City or the idea of order, or kind of a unified purpose, or any of that stuff. I had a really hard time getting that to work in a Padomaic context. It’s tough. I don’t know how you do that. And, like, I mean, the idea of a clock, right, just like a clock is when I was thinking about it, I was like, that’s a really cool thought experiment for Anu and Padomay, generally, because it’s this thing that always goes in circles, and it doesn’t move of its own accord, but there are things that are always moving in it. There’s change built into the system constantly, but it’s like change that doesn’t change. It’s change that’s reliable, or that just kind of keeps going in circles. And I think there’s there’s something really fascinating about that.

A: It’s a paradox machine.

LT: Yeah, exactly. So that I think that idea gets into most of this stuff with Sotha Sil is this weird kind of paradoxical binding of change and stasis and trying to try to make some sort of coherent whole out of those ideas. Tamriel Final, for me, at least, is the idea of taking a mess and turning it into something that’s whole and perfect and works exactly the right way. And, and I mean, I said that I thought about Republic a lot when I was reading some of the stuff. And I mean, the idea of Republic is a tremendously Anuic enterprise, right? I mean, you can’t have utopia, because if utopia changes is not utopia anymore, right? Like, because it’s already… you can’t get better than that. So I think that just just when you talk about clocks, when you talk about perfect order and things winding and working in the right way, I think that you can’t talk about that without a degree of Anuic language. And I think that, the idea is that you can bind those ideas together if you can pull in a very Anuic idea, but still preserve the idea of change, the necessity of change. you get a cool outlook.
Leoman Tuttle describes Almalexia as someone many people come down hard upon, and he feels bad for her as she's acting like trying to make things better for everyone and cares about what's going on and doing the best for people.
A: Sotha Sil feels to be of that similar mould, a kind of that kind of white villain, if you like.

LT: Yeah, I was surprised by… I mean, I’m not surprised that people like him, because he’s a cool character, but I am sort of surprised that people think he’s such a great guy. You could make an argument that he’s preferable to the other two, kind of, but he’s… I don’t know. I think that he’s tremendously flawed. And I think that some of the things that he does, are not great. Not at all, and it’s always surprised me that people I mean, people come down so hard on Almalexia.

A:
Yes

LT: Like, so hard. I feel so bad for her because she’s she’s busting her ass for so long, trying to make everything cool for everybody, and actually acting like someone who actually cares about what’s going on and trying to do the best for people and stuff. And, and then….
The interviewer picks up on this terminology ("acts like someone who actually cares"), and asks more about that, to which Tuttle brings up how Sotha Sil was ready to let people die in pursuit of what he sees as the greater good, and even though he feels bad about it, he still performs these actions (which is why Tuttle loves the Tribunal, as they're flawed).
A: You said she was acting like she cares.

LT: Yeah, I guess. I don’t know. I’m very keen on Almalexia, I think she gets a bad rap. But I think, if you really think about what Sotha Sil was up to or think about the way that he lives? I think it’s less… I mean, he’s absolutely prepared to let people die in pursuit of what he sees as the good. And I mean, the jury’s out, right. Is what he thinks is the good actually the good? I don’t know. I mean, I can’t see that far into the future. I mean, you know, what happened, the Clockwork City, and what happens with the Dunmer might become instrumental to something at some point. But this washing his hands of all the various crimes that he needs to commit in order to do that. I mean, he’s, he feels bad about it, but he’s still doing it. So I think Almalexia gets a really bad rap, and I think he gets off a little too easy. That being said, I love both of them. That’s part of the reason I love the tribunal so much is because they are so thoroughly flawed.
When asked what a series of texts like The 36 Lessons or The Truth in Sequence would be like for Almalexia, Tuttle says he believes it would be something more for the common people (as she is the guardian of the common people), and she provides a foundation for people to build on. He says that Almalexia is incapable of telling the truth in a way that Sotha Sil & Vivec can, as the truth is scary (such as how you could be infiltrated by Daedric forces at any time).
A: Yeah. I’d almost say I’d like to see what Almalexia’s long form books would be but I think we more or less already have them. We have like the homilies and all the little fables and stuff that get attributed to her. She’s more cultural, if I can put it that way, And she’s trying to get under the skin of your average Joe in a way that Sotha Sil and Vivec don’t really try to.

LT: Exactly yeah, I think she’s of the hoi polloi, right. Like, yes, it’s kind of trying to… and I think there’s value to that, right? I mean, you can’t… as much as I love the 36 Lessons, you’re not going to hand that to some Dunmer kid and say, hey, this is everything you need to know about the world. She’s there to actually provide a foundation for people to build on. The only thing with her is, I think that she’s fundamentally incapable of telling the truth in a way that Sotha Sil and Vivec can. I think partially because the truth is really scary, and also because when you tell if you’re if you’ve appointed yourself to be the guardian of the common people and you live in this incredibly horrifying existence that could be infiltrated by Daedric forces anytime or whatever. you’re not you don’t want to… again, you don’t want to hand that to some Dunmer kid and say “yeah” [laughs]. So, I think that she’s not as she’s not as truthful. But I think that she’s still working her ass off and and really, you know, doing the work. She’s putting in the work in a way that the other two don’t. So I’m very keen on Almalexia, everybody give Almalexia, give her a break!

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Another interview! This one, with fore Loremaster Lawrence Schick. Lawrence Schick says that the lore of TES is delivered from an in-universe perspective, unlike A Song of Ice and Fire and The Lord of the Rings (although in the example he uses with The Silmarilion, this isn't entirely true, as that is also an in-universe mythological recounting of events, and even older versions of the mythos were considered something like older myths IIRC; but I digress).
It sounds like the life cycle of the project is, you're involved in all the stages of it. There's this scenario development where it’s the big picture, a thousand feet above. Then it goes into a nitty-gritty writing phase which you’re also involved in and then once that's wrapped you're on promotion, talking about what this adds to the story.

Exactly. And you know, through all of that, what I'm doing as far as the Elder Scrolls lore is concerned–the world of Tamriel is not like Tolkien's Middle-earth or George R. Martin's Westeros where you've got one lore-daddy who decides everything that happens and what he says is what goes. What's in the Silmarillion and what's in the appendices of Lord of the Rings, this is all ex cathedra, right? This is incontrovertible backstory.

The world of The Elder Scrolls, because it was developed over a period of over 20 years by a lot of people, and a lot of designers have had a hand in it, there been a lot of contributions from fans and it’s a very active community in Elders scrolls fandom. So what you have here, instead of a top down designed world, is you have this sort of collaborative fantasy world that's been built from the contributions of many different people and looked at very differently from all different sorts of fans.

And so we don't present anything in the world of The Elder Scrolls as gospel truth. There's no Tolkien saying, "This is what happened." Everything is presented from the viewpoint of somebody actually in the work. So everything is somebody’s opinion which means that the world can be not just really rich and diverse but even contradictory. Just like in our own world, you know opinions differ about what's true and what's real. And we don't settle those questions. We let those questions be voiced by the characters in the game. So every time we're delivering some kind of lore in the game, you're getting it on two levels. You're getting 'what this place is about?' This person is telling you what the city is about and who runs things here. But you're also getting their viewpoints and their cultural agenda. And you can't necessarily trust everything that you're told by anybody.
When asked for an example of differing worldviews in TES, he brings up how even gods & godlike beings have their own opinions, such as Vivec and Almalexia and Azura. All three have slightly varying versions of the same story (with Vivec sometimes contradicting hirself, and with Azura's version shining a more negative light on the Tribunal for taking the adoration of the people of Morrowind away from her and killing Nerevar). Azura is also noted to come from the outer void of Oblivion, and is a 'divine demonic presence'.
Can you give an example from Skyrim or even from the Morrowind expansion that two accounts from different characters who witnessed the same events might differ?
Right now there's the stories about how Morrowind is ruled by these living gods called the tribunal of Vivec, Almalexia, and Sotha Sil. There are these three dark elves who, by interacting with the artifacts of divine power, were elevated to the level of divinity themselves. And we already met Almalexia in the base game and that is a big part the story of the Morrowind chapter. And we get to see it later. But the origin of how they became divine and what their rules were and who got injured in the process is disputed and comes from several different sources.
So you've got Vivec telling his story and sometimes he contradicts himself–where his powers come from and how he got elevated. And then you've got Almalexia who talks about it slightly differently. Sotha Sil will just not talk about it at all. So you have no viewpoint from him and then you have the viewpoints of the divinities whom they replaced. Before then, the Dark Elves worshipped three of the Daedric Princes which are sort of divine demonic presences of the outer void of Oblivion. And one of those Daedric Princes Azura, who was replaced by the tribunal, got really upset at the way it was done and the way one of her hero worshippers was killed in the process and cursed the entire Dark Elf race, and made them from the Keimer who were these golden-skinned elves into these ashen, red-eyed Dunmer. And she's got her opinion on all this stuff as well and she's also one of the movers and shakers in the in the Morrowind chapter.
So what actually happened there? Well, we'll never know exactly. But was it even one of these stories or was it something else entirely about how these dark elves came to elevate themselves to Godhood? And that's a central part of Morrowind that is very well known to players from Elder Scrolls 3. And we we revisit to a certain extent in our new chapter.

Back