• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

The Elder Scrolls Feats and Discussion

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The idea with the skill trees being constellations was to have weapons in one hand, magic in another and look up to the stars to see where you are.
- What was the idea behind designing a skill tree that resembles constellations?

- I worked with the interface and wanted to take a step away from Excel spreadsheets and the typical system we find in RPGs. So I tried a number of options, including one where you look over your right shoulder to look at your weapons, left shoulder to check out the magic and the stars to see who you are. It was the foundation. In the previous Elder Scrolls games, we have also had the asterisk, and we would gather all these into one system.
There are an unlimited number of dragons (although this may be a gameplay thing due to respawns).
- Is there a set number of dragons in the game?

- No, there is an unlimited number of dragons. One of our designers actually put in a random event I encountered, where I ended up being chased by three dragons and I thought "who the hell did this?" I felt like Frodo in Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and was really frightened. So I asked him to remove it. But no, dragons are generated automatically (in addition to that there are a number of specific encounters, of course).

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Yet another reference to how the Vestige (in base, obviously) is weaker than Dovahkiin, and will need help fighting a dragon. It's also mentioned that the dragons in Skyrim are 'bent on the end of the world' while the dragons in Elsweyr are after revenge.
Is Elsweyr’s narrative going to be recognisable for Skyrim fans, or are these two very separate stories?

They’re separate stories, because the story of Skyrim is not about dragons. It’s about Dovahkiin. And in this game, you’re not Dovahkiin. So you are not Dragon Born. There was a civil war going on in Skyrim when they showed up, much like there is in Elsweyr, but the dragons don’t care about that. In Skyrim, obviously, they were bent on the end of the world, and in Elsweyr they are bent on revenge. So different motives, but they both go to interesting places.
Very curiously, the dragons in Elsweyr are refered to as being finite in number, not the full-on invasion seen in Skyrim. Todd Howard has previously refered to there being an infinite number of dragons in Skyrim; however, he meant this from a gameplay perspective (they respawn). So the implication that there might actually be a literal infinity of dragons (or potentially an infinity of dragons) in Skyrim is very interesting.
How easy has it been to bring Dragons to this new location?

This isn’t a dragon place like Skyrim was, where there were temples and a whole culture built up. An unknown number of dragons were trapped in the Halls of Colossus – this giant dungeon which was in Arena – for an unknown amount of time. Unwittingly Abnur Tharn has unleashed them on Elsweyr, and needs your help to fix the situation. But it’s a finite number. It’s not like a full-on invasion, like Skyrim. And the Khajiiti aren’t really equipped to handle them, there’s no culture of dragons there. But once you start playing through the story, you’ll start to learn things about the Khajiit and dragon history, which go to very interesting places.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
House Redoran drove the titanic Emperor Crabs of Morrowind to extinction.

Should any non-Redoran ask you why our arms and armor are inspired by the claws and chitin of gigantic arthropods, just ask them if they've seen any Emperor Crabs lately—you know, those cathedral-sized crustaceans that once roamed the ashlands of Vvardenfell. Where did those go?
We killed them. We, the warriors of House Redoran.

Duty, gravity, and piety: these are our watchwords. We are the wartime defenders of the House Dunmer of Morrowind. Follow the guidelines graven below for crafting in the Redoran style, and do not cut corners, for that would be unworthy of our House.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Ithegleoir is an immortal leviathan who's supposedly said to live in the Eltheric sees, and causes the sands to shift and the depths of the channels to change, and occasionally sinks ships.
What's that? You want to know about the Glenumbra Banks? I thought everyone knew about those shifting sand bars off the northwest coast of High Rock, the narrow islets that make seafaring there so dangerous close to shore. I myself have made a living for almost thirty years as a Daggerfall pilot, guiding merchant ships through the Banks in and out of the city's North Docks. And I'm well paid for the job, but the merchants don't complain—they see the rotting spars and twisted planks of the shipwrecks we pass as we wend our way through the channels.

Those channels are treacherous and ever-changing. When we go out in early Sun's Dawn to meet the first ship coming in to port after the winter storms, there are always numerous visible changes to the waterways—as well as invisible changes to their depths, which we must take care to map out by frequent use of the plumb-line.

But the fact is we must be ever on the lookout for changes in the Banks even in Mid Year and Sun's Height. Now, how is it that the sands shift the way they do, sometimes changing overnight even when there has been no storm? The Herne Current runs far offshore, and in summer the breeze the mariners call the Yokudan Zephyr blows steadily but gently from the west.

And yet, the sands shift, and the Banks change.

Well, stranger, I'll tell you the secret, so long as you're buying the drinks tonight in the Rosy Lion. It's Ithguleoir. Yes, you heard me right—the immortal leviathan of the Eltheric Ocean is no mere fable. Ithguleoir lives, and haunts the far depths of the sea … and sometimes the near shallows of the shore. He fills old channels in the Banks and dredges new ones. And when a ship runs aground on the sands, he rises from the waters and dines on its sailors, one by one.

I suppose you're entitled to look skeptical about that—so long as you buy another round, that is. But listen, I'm not just spinning an old salt's yarn. I've seen the thing. On nights when the moons are full and the sea is calm, you can sometimes glimpse the leviathan's oily back heaving above the surface as the old monstrosity digs his devious traps. Occasionally there's a geyser of sea-mist, like when a whale blows, but then the breeze wafts ashore a demonic stench that smells like it's blown from Oblivion.

So there: now you know. But let's just keep this between you, me, and the tavernkeeper's cat, shall we? The south harbor's too shallow for the big merchantmen, and Daggerfall depends on her sea-trade continuing to find its way in to the North Docks. As do I. And sailors are such a superstitious lot—no point in scaring them away. Eh?

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
An account of a colossal creature encountered on a voyage to High Isle, which describes a monstrousity that dwarves even the largest of the islands in the isles. Said to be able to swallow ships whole, it causes the skies to darken and the winds and seas to still, with an eye bigger than any mortal-made structure. Given the waters around the boat are described as turning black and the description of its colossal eye, it's possible that this was a creature from Apocrypha (which is connected to the seas), if not Mora himself (although the Coldharbour Compact prevents Mora from directly manifesting in the Mundus/Nirn).
On the eve we set sail for High Isle, an old sailor told me to heed this warning. A creature so massive it dwarfed even the largest islands, with a maw so large that it could swallow ships whole, and a presence so mighty it brought forth a stillness that could shake a sailor's very soul was prowling the depths between the mainland and the archipelago. He said they barely escaped this dark monstrosity on the voyage to High Rock, and it was sure to be the end of us all on the return journey.

At first, I was shaken by his tale. After a few ales, however, I laughed it off, thinking this crusty mariner's tall tale was just that—a yarn to scare inexperienced travelers.

As we sailed for the jewel of the Systres and could no longer see the shore, the sky met the water ahead of us. Then, without warning all went still. The wind fled from our sails and the ship came to rest on the flat, unmoving sea.

The uncommon silence clawed at our ears. It was so unbearable that every soul upon our vessel stood paralyzed. The sky darkened, yet there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Rather, a vast darkness, unimaginably large, rose from the depths for what seemed an eternity before once again slipping below the surface.

The shadow now loomed below us, turning the water so black that it seemed to come from the realm of Nocturnal herself. The leviathan beneath loomed ever nearer. Our vessel bobbed in this silent void as the darkness spread to color the sea around us.

A glow from beneath, something bright green, suddenly appeared in that abyss. It took me a moment to recognize it for what it was—an eye so vast, it dwarfed any structure built by man or mer. It peered up, penetrating my very soul. It blinked only once, the pupil a monstrous slit.

Just as quickly as it appeared, the eye vanished. The waters began to shift from inky black to a more natural sapphire blue once more. The darkness receded and this leviathan disappeared into the depths without a trace. The wind returned to fill our sails, and we continued on.

Until the day I perish, I will swear to what I saw. A creature larger than anything you could ever imagine, lurking just beneath the waves.

Waiting.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
A witness says they saw a ship getting smashed to splinters by a tentacles monster from the depths.
We were heading WEST when we spotted a ship on the horizon. Suddenly tentacles emerged from below and crushed the vessel into splinters. The captain ordered us to change course—right into pirate-infested waters.
Tentacles appear as a creature (or attached to an underwater creature) in Redguard.
RG-creature-Tentacle.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
A necromancer ban become a lych by pressing their soul through a phylactery, which allows them to divest body and soul, and access the tremendous power contained within the soul (the removal of these boundaries results in a 'virtually limitless magical horizon').
Vestige: How does it work?
Vastarie:
This is just academic curiosity, right? Because I can't overstate the risks.
To become a lich, the necromancer must press their soul through an arcane vessel called a phylactery. This requires a lifetime of study, mind you, and fierce power of will.
Vestige: How does that make the mage more powerful?
Vastarie:
Souls contain tremendous power, but they place certain checks on mortal will. Divesting the two—soul and mortal form—removes these boundaries. The effect is a virtually limitless magical horizon.
The process extracts a heavy toll, of course.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Rich Lambert says that he refered to the Oblivion Players guide when creating the Blackwood expansion for ESO.
As The Elder Scrolls Online’s Creative Director, Rich Lambert was actually a part of the team that developed 2006’s Oblivion. In preparation for Blackwood, Rich pulled out an old copy of an Oblivion ‘Player’s Guide’ to re-acquaint himself with the feel of that game. Others in the team did the same, albeit in other ways. Some replayed The Elder Scrolls IV from start to finish, others watched Let’s Play videos that ran for several hours. “Across the board somebody on the team knows the answer to pretty much any question that anyone could ask,” Rich explains. “Not just with that game but any Elder Scrolls or what happened in a specific era or place. It's awesome working with a group of people that invested in Elder Scrolls.”

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
An interview with Rich Lamert and Greg Roth, which goes into the details of the Clockwork City. Clockwork City is extraplanar in nature (thus many who end up there get stuck there).

4:17
Greg Roth: So, because Clockwork City is sort of extraplanar, most people get here the old fashioned way. They find a way down to the Vault either by accident or by deliberate exploration. And some of them can't get out. It's very difficult to get out of Clockwork City once you're in.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Another interview regarding Clockwork City from Rich Lambert and Greg Roth. The ideas for the DLC was run by Bethesda, and getting the aesthetic down was challenging.
Broken Joysticks: I love the overall aesthetic of the Clockwork City DLC that has been shown so far. It’s a lot different than anything else you’d find in Tamriel.

ESO Devs: Absolutely, it was so great to work on with our art team. We ran things past Bethesda and getting the aesthetic down was challenging, but I think we pulled it off really well.
Everything that you see in Clockwork City is a fabricated version of something that exists in Tamriel, such as rocks, trees and the very leaves on the trees.
Broken Joysticks: What inspired the direction that you ultimately went with for Clockwork City and what are some of the artistic features that players will notice the first time they visit?

ESO Devs: When we originally drew up the concept art for [Clockwork City] we had a lot of challenges trying to figure out how we’d make a world that is synthetic but not so alien that it was unrecognizable not just to The Elder Scrolls fans but fans of fantasy in general. You’ll notice that the areas are fairly straightforward – there’s some rocks, trees, as you’d expect. As you get closer to objects you begin to realize that everything is made of stone and metal. This might look like a tree but the leaves are made out of metal foil and the bark is fiber metal material. Everything you see in The Clockwork City is a fabricated version of something you would see in the rest of Tamriel.
Everything in Clockwork City is created from a process called sintering, and even the 'skybox' (that is to say, the sky) is artificial.
Broken Joysticks: I’ve noticed in The Clockwork City there were runes or some kind of designs floating in the sky. I can’t really think of another zone in ESO that has a skybox that is this animated.

ESO Devs: Everything in Clockwork City is created from forged metal or a process called sintering. We made this really amazing landscape and if you look up even the skybox is artificial. We did have to be mindful of the number of objects we were animating as it pertains to fixtures. It’s easy to go overboard and keep adding stuff and [jokingly] cause people’s graphics cards to fry. The scene graph makes really large strides possible making the Clockwork City perform well and look fantastic at the same time.
The Brass Fortress is the only part of Clockwork City thats inhabitable for people from Tamriel to live, and it's here that Sotha Sil's priests, scientists, politicians & everyone else lives. Sotha Sil goes into long periods of rest, sometimes for decades or even centuries.
ESO Devs: [Referencing a particular NPC our party was standing in front of] This is a representative of the Clockwork Apostles. They are a combination of Sotha Sil’s priests, scientists and those who run the government in this part of the Clockwork City, known as the Brass Fortress. The Brass Fortress is the only place in the Clockwork City that is safe for people to live. Members of the Clockwork Apostles are very devoted to Sotha Sil even though some of them may not get to see him in their lifetime. Sotha Sil goes into long periods of rest – sometimes decades or even centuries long. His apostles follow his teachings and some even attempt to emulate him by replacing their arms or their eyes with clockwork prosthetics.
The pages of books and even the animals are all mechanical.
Broken Joysticks: [As we enter the Clockwork Basilica] So what is going on in this place?

ESO Devs: Even our [building] interiors, we are able to play around with “what is a world where there is no easy access to wood & food like? Paper isn’t too terribly common, and people do bring it in from the outside sometimes, but what do you make a book look like? All of these are metal plates that have been etched on. Sometimes they bind these plates together into large volumes as well.

Broken Joysticks: I couldn’t help but notice the little minion pet that you had following you..

ESO Devs: Yup, that is one of the things that you get when you have the DLC and you walk into The Brass Fortress for the first time. Dovah-fly being the Tamriel equaling of an Earth dragonfly. It is a cute little thing that flies around and is made completely out of clockwork parts.
The Imperfect is a giant Fabricant seen also in the Tribunal expansion of Morrowind, though the version met in Clockwork City is an earlier prototype. Any martially minded Clockwork Apostles can test their skills against the Imperfect, and Sotha Sil automated the test chamber to collect data automatically. The Imperfect will always be imperfect, no matter how strong it gets.
ESO Devs: There are two new Delves, but there is not a public dungeon in this zone. We do have two full quest locations that are set apart from the main story – each zone has its own plot and resolution. The DLC has two delves, two quest locations, the full main story of everything that happens in the Clockwork City and a whole mess of repeatable content.

One of the two World Bosses is “The Imperfect”. Players may remember from The Tribunal expansion from The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, The Imperfect was a giant Fabricant that you fought in the Clockwork City dungeon towards the end of that expansion. That Clockwork City dungeon was a series of interconnected rooms that didn’t really have much to it. Getting a chance to build this whole zone to kind of show what is beyond that was a challenge.

Our Imperfect is an earlier version of the same creature from Tribunal. We want to make little callbacks like that where we can without retreading old stuff. Players who are familiar [with TES III] will recognize the content and see the prototype that our Imperfect is.

The area that housed The Imperfect has been set aside by Sotha Sil as a testing ground for his creation. Any martially minded Apostles can come and test their skills here and Sotha Sil has automated the test chamber to automatically collect data. He’s always trying to perfect things and he’s never really been satisfied with this particular project, so it’s always going to be imperfect no matter how strong it gets.
The Shadowcleft is a pocket dimension of Nocturnal's Daedric realm, which is designed to look familiar to Tamriel, but exists in a state of perpetual twilight.
ESO Devs: The Shadow Cleft exists as a pocket dimension of the Nocturne’s Daedric Realm, her realm is designed to look a lot like some familiar Tamriel sights but the entire realm is in a perpetual state of twilight. There are her Daedric servants, as well as a new form of Daedra that is exclusive to this DLC, as well as a shadow version of creatures that live in Tamriel.

One of the creatures in The Shadow Cleft, Shrikes, are Nocturne’s answer to the creature that is sort of humanoid forms of the Daedric Princes. Shrikes are big into Shadow Magic [such as] calling in ravens to attack the player or commanding weaker foes to act as their minions. There is one other way creepier Daedra that we won’t be discussing today but you’ll get a chance to see it when you get the DLC. It is also the other World Boss featured in the Clockwork City DLC.

Back