• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

Which of these sites is the worst with scaling characters?

King of time

Exceptional
Out of the following sites, which do you think has the worst users in how strong it believes the characters to be?

1.spacebattle
2.comic vine
3.reddit
4. Vs wiki

Last edited:

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Tie between Reddit and Comicvine for shit scaling, shit logic, and just pure wank

Cubey

The Formality
Comicvine legit backs everything up with scans, sometimes out of context yes, but mostly not. Y’all buggin.

OrlandoSky

Paramount
VBW or spacebattle
spacebattle’s consensus throws scaling out and goes by character popularity, VBW has the opposite problem where it’s pure vs brain rot. Everyone and their grandmother is universe to outerverse level, they rely on dimension scaling, vague implications as WOG and an inmates running the asylum type of administration. VBW are pretty much the reason why “powerscalers” are looked at as cringey to casual viewers.

Qinglong

Martyrs are the first to Die
V.I.P. Member
Comicvine legit backs everything up with scans, sometimes out of context yes, but mostly not. Y’all buggin.

Yeah at least when it comes to respect threads or people asking for scans Comicvine at least backs their claims up

same for VSB but only if dimensions aren't involved, they actually back up their claims for "street tier" verses, even if I don't agree with their scaling chains

so by default reddit or SB are the worst because they don't do either

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
as weird and hypocritical as this sounds backing it up with scans isn't everything
before you crucify me, it can and has actually been a tactic to push absolute bullshit takes and scaling chains and misinterpretations, and Quora for example is insanely bad with this. This is also how "Omniversal Genis-Vell" got accepted. People see a lot of scans, assume the person knows what they're talking about, and run with it. I've seen CV do things like put Lifebringer Galactus capped at universe level because of this. I wouldn't say CV is the worst, but definitely not great.

Reddit has generally the worst takes I've seen anywhere, lot in common with SB's "lowball everything but my favorites" but taken to somehow even greater extremes in many cases.

Qinglong

Martyrs are the first to Die
V.I.P. Member
Sorry I wasn't here for omniversal genis vell so I never bought into it :mjlol

but usually for example if someone claimed Asura was strong they'd at least show off the Chakravartin fight or Yasha fights and go "see he's this strong"

the amount of unsubstantiated takes I see on places like reddit is insane

SB fucking has threads for cataloguing feats and outright ignores them so they're just as bad to me

Cubey

The Formality
Yeah at least when it comes to respect threads or people asking for scans Comicvine at least backs their claims up

same for VSB but only if dimensions aren't involved, they actually back up their claims for "street tier" verses, even if I don't agree with their scaling chains

so by default reddit or SB are the worst because they don't do either

Agreed. Comicvine respect threads are, ironically, actually respectable.

Reddit’s are barebones minimum work.

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
Sorry I wasn't here for omniversal genis vell so I never bought into it :mjlol

but usually for example if someone claimed Asura was strong they'd at least show off the Chakravartin fight or Yasha fights and go "see he's this strong"

the amount of unsubstantiated takes I see on places like reddit is insane

SB fucking has threads for cataloguing feats and outright ignores them so they're just as bad to me
the thing about Genis is, I eventually stumbled on the original legwork Jakk did for it (because I'll look for old threads to see where a character sits sometimes)
Basically his entire argument was that Genis killed Multi-Eternity, and he uses a comic published like a decade later to reinforce it (not because it's referenced in the plot but due to the wording).

The thing is even though the intro narration does talk about Multi-E, the plot of the comic itself is specifically about one universe, and it says this directly in the pages. Even the intro says Genis' consciousness is merged with the universe not the multiverse.
Despite the other narration mentioning Eternity as the multiverse, Genis himself is still directly stated by it to be a threat to the universe

95% of people arent reading these things closely nor do they always know the context. That's all I mean, it's not that we shouldn't be doing this, but it really needs to be scrutinized because this was genuinely worse than the Getbackers Deception was.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Just going to say, the vast majority of Respect threads on Comicvine are from when it used to be a decent place (up to the mid 2010s) or by the few credible users on there.

There are good debaters on the site, they’re just completely covered by a layer of shit that is the current user base. Hell, most of these dudes have called it quits and left the site for that very reason

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Due to personal experience, I'd say SB. I've seen 'respect' threads there where they'd literally just invent context without siting a single source, and will super focus on low ends while ignoring the same logic for their own series ("it's not scientific, but who cares if my own explanation breaks science?"). Back this up with all sorts of bullying, condescension and mod nepotism. Oh, did I mention I've seen people cosy up to members of the Far Right and the Far Left because said individuals downplayed a certain series? Because I've seen that happen.

VBW suffers a lot from moronic circular scaling (I remember seeing a scaling chain that went something like "Nui > Satsuki > Ryuko > Ira > Ryuko > Nui > Satsuki...") and outright favouritism, but at least when you finally get to the sources, a lot of the times they can actually be worth looking into (although there is a fair share of nonsense).

Reddit is a mixed bag.

I've not used CV in ages.

Flowering Knight

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
VSB pretty much ruined vs debates and reduced them to uni/multi/outer/whateverversal nonsense, bringing in dimensional tiering and not knowing wtf context is, among many other things. Occasionally they're aight though so there's that.

I don't even know what Comicvine is up to nowadays, I don't even know if it's still active lol

Reddit is just "VSB but worse" at r/powerscaling but r/whowouldwin is much bigger and that may as well be Spacebattles but with more series. At least some of the threads have interesting prompts though.

I'd rather have vs debates on 4chan than Spacebattles.

Johan

Just going to say, the vast majority of Respect threads on Comicvine are from when it used to be a decent place (up to the mid 2010s) or by the few credible users on there.

There are good debaters on the site, they’re just completely covered by a layer of shit that is the current user base. Hell, most of these dudes have called it quits and left the site for that very reason
huh, interesting, who are the dudes that called it quit and were rated decently on comicvine? never came around such a person.

Cubey

The Formality
Obviously KMC was the best but ppl like Galan and his DC counterpart dipped. Comicvine not too long ago started going hard with the scans so they at least back their claims up with proof and more often than not it isn’t out of context.

Damn, I can't believe I missed a thread like this...

It's basically a race to see which shit is the hardest to flush down.

Both ComicVine and VSB do tend to back up their sources with scans, but this tends to lead into the opposite problem where you still have the SB-Tier debating style when it comes to CV and dudes just not taking feats into consideration because "It's not all that powerful from how I see it" even if it's right in front of your face.

VSB is godawful when Dimensions come into play or any other feat which can be seen as "conceptual", even if it explicitly has limits or comes nowhere near close.

So that leaves Spacebattles and Reddit. Certain Reddit Subforums tend to be absolutely disjointed messes, their attempts at Respect Threads are terrible because they can either be okay or done while series are in progress, meaning it's effectively meaningless and you just get a worthless thread that ends up outdated. Then you have the issues with Reddit itself and any real attempt to follow a similar custom to doing VS. debates is impossible since you can just get dogged by fanboys until your post vanishes.

But even they are nothing compared to Spacebattles. All of the worst things about Reddit plus the massive condescension, refusal to even use their Respect Threads(And it's not like their Respect Threads are even good), hiding behind "Science and Laws" to pretend their favorites are really strong in their area, and mods basically being absolute neanderthals and you get the absolute worst place around.

Uoruk

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
the thing about Genis is, I eventually stumbled on the original legwork Jakk did for it (because I'll look for old threads to see where a character sits sometimes)
Basically his entire argument was that Genis killed Multi-Eternity, and he uses a comic published like a decade later to reinforce it (not because it's referenced in the plot but due to the wording).

The thing is even though the intro narration does talk about Multi-E, the plot of the comic itself is specifically about one universe, and it says this directly in the pages. Even the intro says Genis' consciousness is merged with the universe not the multiverse.
Despite the other narration mentioning Eternity as the multiverse, Genis himself is still directly stated by it to be a threat to the universe

95% of people arent reading these things closely nor do they always know the context. That's all I mean, it's not that we shouldn't be doing this, but it really needs to be scrutinized because this was genuinely worse than the Getbackers Deception was.

The threat to the multiverse probably also comes from Zemo needing to erase him because in every possible timeline he destroys the universe and it was easier to just delete him

though tbf its because writers had made him to powerful and had no idea what to do with him at that point so rather than deal with it they offed him

Back