WS Community

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon
Fang-kun, what do you think about "hall of Fame" for certain memorable games that the community votes on?
If a consensus is reached, it goes in the HoF Mafia subsection.

Bit like the dumpster, but the qualifications will obviously differ.
Certainly cool with that too, as I expect @Ultra. Poyser, and the others would be as well. We can make these things sticky threads or sub-sections:

- general sub-section archive for all ranked and non-ranked mafia games
- specific sub-section for the hall of fame, most famous/infamous/best games according to the community
- sticky thread for a chronology of all official ranked games
- sticky thread for games in queues along with a list of all past and present games; results, winners, HMs, etc...

Dr. Watson

‣ ↻
Administrator
honestly we may just need a separate subsection to put important and less important stickies

or rather, i can add some button html links to threads that are important to go through

issue is if you have too many stickies its hard to navigate through and find the mafia thread etc
So a subsection that's linked to in the forum descript directing users to go immediately for info before posting might help

Tempest

Leprous Monarch
This all seems so melodramatic
Well this is the merging of an anime community and a wrestling community so that sounds apropos to me!

(Though fwiw I think a lot of us including myself haven't watched wrestling in years that's just where we found each other and started playing Mafia so many moons ago lol)

Poyser

honestly we may just need a separate subsection to put important and less important stickies

or rather, i can add some button html links to threads that are important to go through

issue is if you have too many stickies its hard to navigate through and find the mafia thread etc
So a subsection that's linked to in the forum descript directing users to go immediately for info before posting might help
Def need subsections

- mafia archive subforum in this section
- Probably a subsection that’s like mafia university or similar? Can stick the rankings, host queue etc in there plus any beginner guides/resources. Just sticky the important guides and let people write articles and other miscellaneous guides as threads. Can sticky stuff that ends up getting used a lot

Dr. Watson

‣ ↻
Administrator
T-Pein, do you have something else to add pertaining to these current proposals?

If you don't, this isn't the place for assessing people's reasons for disliking Mafia. That's another matter entirely, really, one that is an issue and matter of personal preference.

I've been thinking about it, since there's been some recent subtle or minor complaints:
Worst case scenario, if there's people that aren't fond of Mafia, an opt-out to being able to view the section may be of use. (I only propose this possibility because I understand some people can't resist the urge to check a category they've collapsed, or simply have poor impulse control. I've been there with other forum sections in places before, too.
Will only prob be used by one or two people in OLF, but I think it helps the ire/view of the level of toxicity it may direct.
(Perspectives differ on toxicity, and if it's too toxic for some, not having to see its existence helps.
I don't particularly see Mafia as inherently toxic, and it's very rare users get cut throat to the point of genuine malice like doxxing or suicide threats which are unacceptable. It's a heated game, but it's because it's a game that many are passionate about. And it's cool users may not agree about it.)

The reason I bring this up is because my understanding is some newcomers and established members have history with one another. History, upon joining this forum, that isn't supposed to be engaged with. That includes gripes, snipes, little things like being in the same presence and it being particularly obvious there's an air of grievance.
If someone has a particularly rocky history with another member in here, I would prefer anyone with no intent in playing Mafia to just use a the theoretical opt-out option so they don't have to see the section or the people in it.

(this is only pertaining to the Mafia section, I understand things come with baggage but it's preferred to burn the baggage and bury it in concrete)

Poyser

T-Pein, do you have something else to add pertaining to these current proposals?

If you don't, this isn't the place for assessing people's reasons for disliking Mafia. That's another matter entirely, really, one that is an issue and matter of personal preference.

I've been thinking about it, since there's been some recent subtle or minor complaints:
Worst case scenario, if there's people that aren't fond of Mafia, an opt-out to being able to view the section may be of use. (I only propose this possibility because I understand some people can't resist the urge to check a category they've collapsed, or simply have poor impulse control. I've been there with other forum sections in places before, too.
Will only prob be used by one or two people in OLF, but I think it helps the ire/view of the level of toxicity it may direct.
(Perspectives differ on toxicity, and if it's too toxic for some, not having to see its existence helps.
I don't particularly see Mafia as inherently toxic, and it's very rare users get cut throat to the point of genuine malice like doxxing or suicide threats which are unacceptable. It's a heated game, but it's because it's a game that many are passionate about. And it's cool users may not agree about it.)

The reason I bring this up is because my understanding is some newcomers and established members have history with one another. History, upon joining this forum, that isn't supposed to be engaged with. That includes gripes, snipes, little things like being in the same presence and it being particularly obvious there's an air of grievance.
If someone has a particularly rocky history with another member in here, I would prefer anyone with no intent in playing Mafia to just use a the theoretical opt-out option so they don't have to see the section or the people in it.

(this is only pertaining to the Mafia section, I understand things come with baggage but it's preferred to burn the baggage and bury it in concrete)
I suggested something very similar at the last place lol. Some staff couldn’t help but keep their nose out, and some members thought the mafia section should be nuked etc lol. Like if you don’t like mafia just don’t go here fellas

Grammaton

Consigliere

there’s one user who I think has said he’ll stop posting cause of me and tpein - I don’t really have an issue with him beyond thinking he’s a bit of a clown

to be honest, this is one for you staff folks to take away - the guys who’ve come here we’ve had our ups and downs with each other over the years but we’re certainly not looking to settle any scores or anything of that nature - if you think there’s users already here who’d benefit then have at it

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon
I'll add this:

If someone comes into this thread to shitpost, cause problems, or try and hamper how we're gonna build up and define this section, the activity of the games going on or in the works, or generally just wants to ruin things for others; they will be reply-banned from this thread after the first warning.

there’s one user who I think has said he’ll stop posting cause of me and tpein - I don’t really have an issue with him beyond thinking he’s a bit of a clown
We, the staff, are well acquainted with who you are talking about.

T-Pein™

The Nexus
Pronouns
They/Them

If you don't, this isn't the place for assessing people's reasons for disliking Mafia.

:biden:

I was just explaining why Mid thinks its melodramatic
Nothing to add tho.
I trust in Poyser

The X

Marvelous
I've travelled across intergalactic channels to play Mafia. So realistically, I'm just here because I love playing Mafia. What Poyser wrote looks fine. I don't really get the unranked games; newbies probably won't care about being ranked.

I'm happy forum Mafia is still alive and I hope you guys build the section to be great. I probably won't have much to say about things, but I might chime in once in awhile. I helped to build Mafia into its own section on TMF (was the first Mafia Mod as well, Ultra was second). I've played this game for a decade on a lot of different sites with a lot of different players. I just want people to know that my opinion does come from experience and I'm not just talking shit. I also NEVER take hard feelings away from the game and if I ever piss someone off in the game, it's not my intention, just me being me or being in the heat of the moment. Judging on the comments and rules already suggested, it seems like maybe there will be stuff that's too serious for me, but I will of course respect the rules and do my part as a player to make Mafia awesome on this site.

Aries

Illustrious
I like the idea of this section having a subsection. When a game finishes you can put it in that sub section. That way it becomes much easier for players to navigate finished games, talk about old games etc

Another thing I propose is for this section to have up to 3-4 big events. These events can give be used to give out temporary prizes to the winners of these game events. Since these new players came from a wrestling forum they must know about WWE and it's big 4 ppvs. (Royal Rumble, WrestleMania, SummerSlam, Survivor Series)

This section needs a similar concept to give players and hosts something to look forward to. FV has Favorites/WG has Weebs. OLF needs it's own version. (I'll think of a name later), A" Mafia Cup " for the hardcore Mafia players that are more competitive and care about rankings and less about bastard or super role madness mechanics.

Since xenos is here I like to bring his community Mafia concept here, each year we can allow up to 5 Mafia theme recommendations and we as a community vote which theme we want as a game. We can add one more Mafia game event but for now i think those 3 would be solid

RDK

Marvelous
I like the idea of this section having a subsection. When a game finishes you can put it in that sub section. That way it becomes much easier for players to navigate finished games, talk about old games etc

Another thing I propose is for this section to have up to 3-4 big events. These events can give be used to give out temporary prizes to the winners of these game events. Since these new players came from a wrestling forum they must know about WWE and it's big 4 ppvs. (Royal Rumble, WrestleMania, SummerSlam, Survivor Series)

This section needs a similar concept to give players and hosts something to look forward to. FV has Favorites/WG has Weebs. OLF needs it's own version. (I'll think of a name later), A" Mafia Cup " for the hardcore Mafia players that are more competitive and care about rankings and less about bastard or super role madness mechanics.

Since xenos is here I like to bring his community Mafia concept here, each year we can allow up to 5 Mafia theme recommendations and we as a community vote which theme we want as a game. We can add one more Mafia game event but for now i think those 3 would be solid
Should have a Money in the Bank briefcase too that you can cash in mid-game for a Meteor Kill

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
What should we call it? "Archived Mafia Games"? "Finished Mafia Games"? "Mafia Game Archive"? :hm

Aries

Illustrious
Should have a Money in the Bank briefcase too that you can cash in mid-game for a Meteor Kill
I'll dub it Role in the Bank where you can cash in a kill shot to any player in the game. This can be used in any game but can only be used once

What should we call it? "Archived Mafia Games"? "Finished Mafia Games"? "Mafia Game Archive"? :hm

I think Mafia Game Archive has a better ring to it then the other two, also more leeway to add more stuff. For those who want a hall of famer type of thing or a yearly mafia ranking thread. Would be also a great place to store them

Poyser

I like the big events. We usually consider xmas mafia to be our wrestlemania. That’s when we usually get the most signups and most people excited to play etc. Doing a section meta game (where the characters are all players from the section) were usually a pretty big deal as well. Could do those once a year and have that be a big one. Not sure what to do to fill the other 2 big slots

Aries

Illustrious
I like the big events. We usually consider xmas mafia to be our wrestlemania. That’s when we usually get the most signups and most people excited to play etc. Doing a section meta game (where the characters are all players from the section) were usually a pretty big deal as well. Could do those once a year and have that be a big one. Not sure what to do to fill the other 2 big slots

Interesting so winter was when your "WrestleMania" games happened, on Fanverse it was always around Summer with Favorites. I have been a host for over a decade on Fanverse formerly known Naruto forums and from my expirence games where players submit characters and hosts make roles for them (ala Favorites/ Weebs) tend to be big draws, I believe MafiaMania should be our WrestleMania of Mafia Games here.

A Members themed Mafia game should be our "SummerSlam" of Mafia games. The second biggest event we can make.

That leaves a royal rumble/survivor series comparison. A game I would recommend making one of the big 4 would be the Mafia Invitational Cups. It's basically just a Mafia game tournament, players join up to 4-5 players and compete in mini light games where players gain points from participation, winning and mvp points. Team with the highest points at the end will be dubbed the Mafia cup champions. This game is a much easier set up than the other two and mostly for the hardcore players

To round out the big four I think either a Community Mafia or a Holiday Mafia would be good. Every year you can have a different themed holiday games. One year you have a Halloween themed game next a Xmas themed game. Etc

Dalton

Distinguished
I've travelled across intergalactic channels to play Mafia. So realistically, I'm just here because I love playing Mafia. What Poyser wrote looks fine. I don't really get the unranked games; newbies probably won't care about being ranked.

I'm happy forum Mafia is still alive and I hope you guys build the section to be great. I probably won't have much to say about things, but I might chime in once in awhile. I helped to build Mafia into its own section on TMF (was the first Mafia Mod as well, Ultra was second). I've played this game for a decade on a lot of different sites with a lot of different players. I just want people to know that my opinion does come from experience and I'm not just talking shit. I also NEVER take hard feelings away from the game and if I ever piss someone off in the game, it's not my intention, just me being me or being in the heat of the moment. Judging on the comments and rules already suggested, it seems like maybe there will be stuff that's too serious for me, but I will of course respect the rules and do my part as a player to make Mafia awesome on this site.
I think its more to allow people who are inexperienced hosts to "make mistakes" in their first games and not have those botched games distort the rankings tbh.

Back