Akira Toriyama/ Dragonball remembrance/respect thread

Xadlin

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member
0e76154eb151c447295e909ead66ad53.jpg
Mods can come and tell me if this is wrong but I feel this is the right thing to do.
(Haha maybe this is my priest in me acting, but who cares. Old habits)

The point of this thread is to share our memories of dragonball or about toriyama himself.
Sure I had its bumps, but in the End we cannot deny the Genius and energy that Toriyama portrayed and showed through his work.

When it reached greatness, and touched peoples hearts and dreams and just like the Spirit bomb, gathered the powers of people across the world.

It’s good to talk. Focus on your favorite or best memory of your relationship and bond with Dragonball

Xadlin

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member
I’

I live in Sweden. We had a manga rush somewhere after the big Pokémon rush happened. In 2005, on my birthday, I was gifted a manga pocket, my first one.
I had always loved reading. I had been reading fantasy books, sci-fi, comic books, everything from Donald Duck, to local comics and everything in between.
Tbh I didn’t think much of it.
Didn’t read it since it didn’t look to appealing to me. But after maybe a month, I caught a glimpse of it again and started reading it.
I enjoyed the humor, the dynamic shots, the martial arts, the characters.

I can’t say I was “hooked” but I didn’t stop reading. I tried to get the other volumes but they came out a slow speed. And soon I had moved on to other books like one piece, shamanking and naruto.

Life moved on and I spent more time reading other stuff then dragonball.
Then when I explored the internet and actually, when I came to the OBD, I got eyes up for how big dragonball really was.

I had no idea that it had continued! I thought that it had ended where my volumes had ended! Dragonball Z? GT?
What was this?!
. I think dragonball is a good manga and it follow ups are good in their own sense.
Akira Toriyama was truly the father of fighting Shonen, influencing and inspiring so many to create their own Gokus.

His spirit is now free, and I bet he’s up there with god, laughing at us all for debating who can beat Goku

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Where do I even get started? Dragon Ball alongside Gundam defined my world and childhood throughout the early 2000s.

I still remember the daily struggles of a kid hauling ass from school every day to get home and make sure all my homework was done in time to enjoy the rest of the evening watching Toonami

I’d also wager that around the time I got my PS2, a good half of the entire time spent playing it was all the amazing Dragon Ball Z games I’d play over the years that to this day in 2024 I still go back on

There’s really no denying the creative mind of this one man brought endless joy to whole generations of children all across the world with his work not only shaping anime but even felt across entertainment in general

Where do you think Sonic gets his golden Super form from? Where do you think Shounen characters like Naruto, Luffy, Natsu, Shiki Granbell, etc. are inspired from? Where do you think rival characters like Sasuke, Hiei, or Shadow are inspired from other than Vegeta?

Hell, some modern writers for comic books in America look to Dragon Ball for inspiration

And you know what, I think throughout the 2000s and 10s where Toriyama really saw the results of his wonderful work become the multinational cultural icon it became, he saw that same endless joy he made for himself.

The man already had more than enough money and work as it is with being the lead designer for Dragon Quest and he was known for never going back to previous works, the same case here for Dragon Ball he concluded in 1995

He didn’t need any more money, he could easily just retire. And yet he decided to make one of the greatest comebacks in anime with what first started as a few new Dragon Ball films in the mid 10s that quickly escalated into another fantastic saga of memorable battles with Dragon Ball Super, allowing old fans to once more enjoy their childhood and opening the series to a newer generation of fans in the long run.

I really believe Toriyama did that for no other reason than to spread more of that same joy he did all those years ago and he succeeded. I wish his successor Toyotaro nothing but success in anything he decides to do for the future.

Blocky

Illustrious
Dragon Ball has always been apart of my childhood and I would love it as a kid every time i see it on TV during Toonami or on old school Youtube whenever there were Dragon Ball videos to cosume for my kiddy mind.

DB Super has even become a big part of my teenage years and it made me love the franchise even more. I will always appreciate Toriyama's work rather it was modern or classic. Thank you Toriyama. May he rest in peace.

El Hermano

Acclaimed
My interest in the franchise died down with DBS...

But only now I realize how much I owe this man for some of my greatest, most cherished childhood memories. From playing BT with friends, dressing as SSJ4 for Purim(pretty much Jewish Halloween)and watching it on a regular basis with my dad growing up...these memoried are so vivid for me, it says everything on how big of a role this franchise played in my childhood.

Thank you, Mr. Toriyama, for an incredible childhood and precious memories.

Mondak

Preeminent
I remember watching DBZ back in '02 and '03, catching it on Toonami when I got back from school. The first time I saw it was in the middle of the Namek Saga. I didn't know what was going on at first, but I knew it was the most badass shit I'd ever seen

Last edited:

DoflaMihawk

Paramount
I remember DBZ being one of the first anime I watched as a kid. Specifically the Buu arc, the episode where Vegeta sacrificed himself to kill that fat purple fuck. I didn't realise cartoons could go that hard. I eventually went back to experience the full series, and the rest is history. I often think about how my past choices have led me to where I am now, and I may not have joined online forums if not for that experience, and so may not have met my partner if not for Akira Toriyama.

May the man rest in peace.

Back