Chrono Trigger respect & lore thread

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
A demon creates an illusion of a flood of slugs (which Serge and Kid can actually feel as well as see).
aGBI9Xn.jpg
TSpupIe.jpg
Serge and Kid run down the corridors at high speeds to escape the illusionary slugs.

Magil pushes Serge into a ghost so as to defeat it easier, using Serge as a conduit to attack the ghost from the astral plane (a battle with magic spells would have taken much longer). When in the ghost, Serge can feel his life force being drained.
jXQIKht.jpg

GHYe2um.jpg

XC9ee0g.jpg
A science fiction book in the library makes reference to the Neo Epoch (which seems to be more of a ship than the Neo-Epoch we see in Chrono Cross).
aDlVwtk.jpg
ttbs13R.jpg
There's also a romance novel which directly references Serge.
G3dVDBu.png
There's another book talking about the theory of Nihil Space.
Tzit6Yq.jpg
The way to deactivate the trap of the fountain filled with piranhadons is by putting a special plate into the Mouth of Truth, which contains the ultimate truth of the universe on it (much to Kids annoyance).
2zBYAKF.jpg

tN71sv7.jpg
A griffin disguises as a mouse to fool the intruders (however, it's starving so it's humbled easily).
SGa2Za7.jpg

Grox74Y.jpg
After being spared, it turns back into a mouse and flees into a hole in the wall.
rh6MRsG.jpg
Magil bends the metal bars of a prison cell so they can enter.
Dc1MqJZ.jpg

qFcAGR6.jpg
The entire main hall of Lynx's manor serves as an elevator.
Ft913D4.jpg
ieGh7cI.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The Frozen Flame is said to be able to guide people and change history itself.
wzuTJev.jpg
The Frozen Flame has some connection with Lady Riddel, and it would be snuffed out if she were to die (which is why Lynx has kept Riddel alive).
NOtTDr6.jpg
Kid's behaviour and mannerism change dramatically as they draw closer to the Frozen Flame.
GGEJg2t.jpg

v3aVbcE.jpg

XsujhaE.jpg
As they approach the Frozen Flame, Kid and even Magil don't seem to be themselves.
6mINYQo.jpg
Magil reveals the the Frozen Flame is from an ancient lost kingdom, and can cure all wounds, heal all illnesses and grant eternal life. Originally it was part of a massive rock which fell from the sky long ago. He doesn't reveal how he knows this though...
eTOP1Dj.jpg

TIRMd7f.jpg

jGPkSq8.jpg

hNuY4Fg.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The Radical Dreamers find the location of the true Frozen Flame, which is hidden in the ancient ruins of the forgotten Kingdom of Zeal.
mtd8ily.jpg

UPY1v0u.jpg
This was all a trap set by Lynx, who wants the Time Egg off Kid.
Fr9R601.jpg
Lynx deflects a knife from Kid without even touching it.
Xi882hj.jpg
Kid and Lynx fight, being able to jump through the air and dodge attacks impressively.
0hKHpIb.jpg
Magil flies like a bolt through the darkness as part of the shadows to strike Lynx, but then Lynx is able to bind Magil with his magic.
vZKAja3.jpg

sSSRYHM.jpg

NQHq5AO.jpg
Lynx wants the Time Egg from Kid. The Time Egg is a compressed space, and using it with the Frozen Flame, one can rewrite space and time. Lynx wants to use it to undo mistakes of the past.
LdEKNQU.jpg
Kid claws Lynxs face and seemingly destroys one of his eyes and draws blood.
kvZV0AN.jpg
Lynx picks Serge up by his neck and chokes him.
3m1a2ge.jpg
The power of the Frozen Flame and the Time Egg begin to mingle...
D8CLJtQ.jpg

tPpClZH.jpg

sccSBXg.jpg
Kid remembers that she was once Schala (or that she came from Schala), how she wished to die and cease to exist, but the stone saved her and send her through time as Kid. The stone is also said to have a will of its own.
uhFZ7k7.jpg

R4a6OgX.jpg

uhpDqSH.jpg

7m02T7m.jpg

eTdCc4c.jpg

syMsFSl.jpg

BAPfqUZ.jpg

RN37Zqj.jpg
The Time Egg shatters and the world around them drifts away, sending Serge, Kid & Magil into a black vortex...
KwtwRuz.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Serge ends up in a strange place with islands, planets and etherial images of animals (both living and extinct) floating in the sky.
TXHOVQW.jpg
In this place the world drifts, and time is a blur in an endless and unknowable sea. This is where time begins and ends, and all life finds peace.
Oe6B2w5.jpg
Serge sees himself young and old, and countless versions of him walking the intricate corridors of time as ghosts, in a place where countless worlds and infinite dreams overlap.
7cgvHcw.jpg

lokoxDZz

Acclaimed
V.I.P. Member
[/SPOILER]
Kid remembers that she was once Schala (or that she came from Schala), how she wished to die and cease to exist, but the stone saved her and send her through time as Kid. The stone is also said to have a will of its own.
uhFZ7k7.jpg

R4a6OgX.jpg

uhpDqSH.jpg

7m02T7m.jpg

eTdCc4c.jpg

syMsFSl.jpg

BAPfqUZ.jpg

RN37Zqj.jpg

This make me think of the possibility that the one that allowed Schala to hear Serge cry was the Frozen Flame in CC, in a way its tries to find a way to get someone to put down the Time Devourer regardless if its a will for the "greater good" or because the Time Devourer would also cause the extinction of the Lavos race so it was a instinct of survival

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
When Lynx is defeated and Porre comes in to claim the Frozen Flame, Magil teleports everyone to safety. Kid and Magil leave Serge, but promise they'll meet again one day.
FGxZxWL.jpg
You finish reading your grandfathers diary, who laments that maybe in another time in another world he'll meet Kid and Magil again. You're mother then tells you your friend is here, and a girl with a familiar accent says there's an abandoned manor in the North to be explored...
m6iPoxe.jpg

Zblo086.jpg

dSA7zU5.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
So the most fascinating of the translation differences is that the Time Egg in the original isn't just said to contain a compressed space, but a tiny condensed universe.
"Hand over the Chrono Trigger, Kid. Little do you know, but that rock is
actually a tiny, condensed universe. When combined with the Frozen Flame, it
gains the power to bend space-time, allowing its owner to reshape history. This
all could have never happened, if you merely wish it..."
The original Japanese version.
おまえは知るまいが、時の卵は、凝縮
された、ひとつの小さな宇宙なのだ。
(Machine translation)
You don't know it, but the egg of time is one small, condensed universe.

It is one small universe.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Now, for the first alternate ending; the Space Police ending! This one is quite silly, and has a few 4th wall breaks in it.
"Ah, hell, it's just the Assistant Director," she says. "Ya bumblin' crew...
Always gettin' in the way!"
The Assistant Director tries to explain, but is cut off by Kid.
"Yer gonna make me screw up my lines!" Kid continues. "And besides, can't ya
see we're right in the middle of a great find here!? And get me an Evian for
cryin' out loud!"
But then, something catches my eye. Over in the back of the room, behind the
Claire Bible and Ideonite that the Assistant Director had knocked over, a
shimmering red light streaks out, barely visible behind all the items.
There's also a point they bring up how fridges haven't been invented yet (even though you can see several fridges in 1000AD in Chrono Trigger).
"Kid, let's think for a minute," Magil says. "How could this be a
refrigerator box, if refrigerators haven't even been invented yet?"
Good call, Magil...
"Oh yeah, I forgot. Well uh... It looks an awful lot like a... uh...
non-electric refrigerator... box... thing... er..."
When Magil sees a certain painting, he starts to emit a powerful aura, as if he can violate the second law of thermodynamics and causes a thermonuclear reaction (this sequence actually causes some red and blue flashes, though alas I don't have the screenshots of this).
I look back at him, and suddenly realize what's going on. Usually, I'm at a
loss to what he's thinking. Up until now, that was the way it was.
But at this very moment, I completely understand him.
A slight glow has started to radiate all around him. It seems like his fury
has somehow tapped into the force of Maxwell's Demon, allowing him to
violate the second law of thermodynamics.
Actually, no, it's as though the helium and hydrogen free atoms drifting
around the area are somehow causing a thermonuclear fusion reaction. The
neutrinos of a reaction like this could be visible even in a cup of water.
Fascinating...
Lynx in this world is a giant alien octopus mage from Mars called Ooloo Ooloorooloo.
vTmP3hF.jpg
Ooloo weighs over 10,000 tons, but despite this he can easily float.
wnF1tGG.jpg
Magil is a part of Space Police in this timeline, and has been chasing Ooloo for 500 years, and his real name is Whammybar Starspangle.
9vnzmEM.jpg
Ooloo was forced to eat his entire spaceship.
izSzdtv.jpg
Ooloo starts bringing down the entire manor.
8WBf5tv.jpg
The entire manor begins to collapse like 'a star collapsing into a blachole'.

wcMyP3M.jpg
Ooloo and his goblin henchmen escape in a pedel-powered spaceship/flying bike.
cy5V2xj.jpg
The grandson finishes reading his grandfathers diary, the latter reminiscing about how one day he'll see Kid, Magil and the Martians again.
IVCe0Ap.jpg
This path ends with a bunch of UFOs flying by.

V2IEu6v.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Now onto the next path; the Sunflower path. Serge, Kid and Magil come across a mandrake, which Kid cuts at, but it just regrows...
hvVnQB0.jpg
Serge says he has no hope of outmuscling Kid.
cWDZYNI.jpg
Magil warns the others not to cut, and certainly not to pull out of the ground. But he took to long remembering, and Kid pulls it out of the ground...
sJpmWPz.jpg
The mandrake monster changes, bringing down trees and ripping up the ground. As the ground heaves, Kid vanishes into a crevice...
oQvJvSz.jpg
Magil flies Serge to safety.
wq86YEa.jpg
The mandrake monster merges with Kid in a new terrifying form...
RNgwG7n.jpg
Description of Mandrake Kids form.
1KQOhQB.jpg
Mandrake Kid is 7 or 8 times taller than Serge (if Radical Dreamers Serge is the same height as Chrono Cross Serge, 5'7" or 170.18cm tall, that would make Mandrake Kid around 11.9126m or 13.6144m tall).
QVtkSNE.jpg
Kid is trapped by a monster created from her rage, and if she's not freed from it she will die.
3nobbzB.jpg
In order to be free of the monster, Kid needs to be free of her anger.
InBhjCo.jpg
Kid needs love to free her from this monster. Magil warns Serge that Kid cannot be allowed to use magic in this form.
UJulghS.jpg

u45bpby.jpg
Kids fireball spell instantly turns three goblins into ashes.
t5acf7i.jpg
Serge notes that Kids fireball spells are bigger than Magus', and she casts the spells effortlessly.
UqlEgXe.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Proon and a group of goblin guards have a huge cannon that's 4 times Serges length (once again, going by Serges height in Chrono Cross of 5'7" or 170.18cm, this makes the cannon 6.8072m long).
OakPzAM.jpg
This is the hypermagic canon which can shoot powerful fireballs.
HzwKU04.jpg

eVZaP1c.jpg
The hypermagic cannon hits Monster Kid full on, causing a powerful explosion...
jX7jb0L.jpg

yp4i5w9.jpg
However, Monster Kid is completely unscathed (the fires are also noted to be bigger than Monster Kid).
CxirTCf.jpg
Monster Kid casts a dark spell of great power called Phantom Break (by invoking a being known as Archemist the Fallen), which erases Lynx manor and creates an unbelievably deep pit into the ground.
S1K2Eft.png

pZhUkji.png

oTRK3zH.png

MzATnUS.png

akxOunA.png

HZXxxOi.jpg

ztjDusp.jpg

3xa7NVJ.jpg

Kid withstands the effects of the incantation, but Magil doubts she could do it a second time.
IMFHNb5.jpg
Magil casts a spell of flight on Serge.
OBUKEiS.jpg
Magil gives Serge a knife that can absorb souls incase his kiss fails, for a worst-case scenario.
bCA2aUq.jpg
Serge flies down to save Kid.

The clouds part as Magil falls to the ground as he flies down to destroy the monster (now Serge has saved Kid from it).
GbmbolL.jpg
Magil flies towards the ground at great speeds.

Magil attacks the monster with the Demon-Slaying Heel of Her Lunar Majesty.
I8Auxqd.jpg
Magil's invokation causes the monster to implode on itself.
xJcZeCQ.jpg
Kid punches Serge with enough force to send him flying into the air some.
eTbtSBE.jpg
Even now back to herself, Kid can still cast magic,
yruj4SR.jpg
Magil says this is because she always had a latent ability for spellcasting (also likely due to her true origins as the princess of Zeal, opr a clone of her).
MkP9uXn.jpg
The path ends with Serge Senior reminiscing about how he'll meet Kid, Magil and Proon again in another time and another world.
H52azDM.jpg

lokoxDZz

Acclaimed
V.I.P. Member
Now onto the next path; the Sunflower path. Serge, Kid and Magil come across a mandrake, which Kid cuts at, but it just regrows...
hvVnQB0.jpg
Serge says he has no hope of outmuscling Kid.
cWDZYNI.jpg
Magil warns the others not to cut, and certainly not to pull out of the ground. But he took to long remembering, and Kid pulls it out of the ground...
sJpmWPz.jpg
The mandrake monster changes, bringing down trees and ripping up the ground. As the ground heaves, Kid vanishes into a crevice...
oQvJvSz.jpg
Magil flies Serge to safety.
wq86YEa.jpg
The mandrake monster merges with Kid in a new terrifying form...
RNgwG7n.jpg
Description of Mandrake Kids form.
1KQOhQB.jpg
Mandrake Kid is 7 or 8 times taller than Serge (if Radical Dreamers Serge is the same height as Chrono Cross Serge, 5'7" or 170.18cm tall, that would make Mandrake Kid around 11.9126m or 13.6144m tall).
QVtkSNE.jpg
Kid is trapped by a monster created from her rage, and if she's not freed from it she will die.
3nobbzB.jpg
In order to be free of the monster, Kid needs to be free of her anger.
InBhjCo.jpg
Kid needs love to free her from this monster. Magil warns Serge that Kid cannot be allowed to use magic in this form.
UJulghS.jpg

u45bpby.jpg
Kids fireball spell instantly turns three goblins into ashes.
t5acf7i.jpg
Serge notes that Kids fireball spells are bigger than Magus', and she casts the spells effortlessly.
UqlEgXe.jpg

Proon and a group of goblin guards have a huge cannon that's 4 times Serges length (once again, going by Serges height in Chrono Cross of 5'7" or 170.18cm, this makes the cannon 6.8072m long).
OakPzAM.jpg
This is the hypermagic canon which can shoot powerful fireballs.
HzwKU04.jpg

eVZaP1c.jpg
The hypermagic cannon hits Monster Kid full on, causing a powerful explosion...
jX7jb0L.jpg

yp4i5w9.jpg
However, Monster Kid is completely unscathed (the fires are also noted to be bigger than Monster Kid).
CxirTCf.jpg
Monster Kid casts a dark spell of great power called Phantom Break (by invoking a being known as Archemist the Fallen), which erases Lynx manor and creates an unbelievably deep pit into the ground.
S1K2Eft.png

pZhUkji.png

oTRK3zH.png

MzATnUS.png

akxOunA.png

HZXxxOi.jpg

ztjDusp.jpg

3xa7NVJ.jpg

Kid withstands the effects of the incantation, but Magil doubts she could do it a second time.
IMFHNb5.jpg
Magil casts a spell of flight on Serge.
OBUKEiS.jpg
Magil gives Serge a knife that can absorb souls incase his kiss fails, for a worst-case scenario.
bCA2aUq.jpg
Serge flies down to save Kid.

The clouds part as Magil falls to the ground as he flies down to destroy the monster (now Serge has saved Kid from it).
GbmbolL.jpg
Magil flies towards the ground at great speeds.

Magil attacks the monster with the Demon-Slaying Heel of Her Lunar Majesty.
I8Auxqd.jpg
Magil's invokation causes the monster to implode on itself.
xJcZeCQ.jpg
Kid punches Serge with enough force to send him flying into the air some.
eTbtSBE.jpg
Even now back to herself, Kid can still cast magic,
yruj4SR.jpg
Magil says this is because she always had a latent ability for spellcasting (also likely due to her true origins as the princess of Zeal, opr a clone of her).
MkP9uXn.jpg
The path ends with Serge Senior reminiscing about how he'll meet Kid, Magil and Proon again in another time and another world.
H52azDM.jpg

Do you think with the nature of dreams in the series shoulds these non-sense endings including some of CC and their "what if" should be treated as canon ?

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Do you think with the nature of dreams in the series shoulds these non-sense endings including some of CC and their "what if" should be treated as canon ?
Originally the story about the golden bug and the sunflower was told by Serge to Esmeld the goblin (either misrerembered or made up on the fly), plus the main path says that infinite dreams & infinite worlds overlap, so I think that's a safe bet to say.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The spookiest path yet. In this timeline, if you look at the glowing light on your way in then the history of Lynx's manor and Kids backstory changes. There's no life in the manor save the Radical Dreamers, not even goblin guards (there are only the undead). Instead of piranhadons, the pool in the atrium has fish with the souls of humans, born from cruel experiments by Lynx drawing back the souls of the dead. They can move faster than the eye can see.
669z1h0.jpg

MTZ1R37.jpg

nIpsvuw.jpg

8Dn9WWs.jpg

Ia1LdPP.jpg
Kid knows a special breathing technique that will decrease her weight.
KTXNeFb.jpg
In this world, Lynx has a complex automated trap involving robotic mermaids (or sirens) and seas of gems.
FF7bsri.jpg

DBwIffE.jpg

jBmwI65.jpg

WBiM6wy.jpg

WBiM6wy.jpg
The key to this ghastly mechanism is a corpse. Destroying it stops the trap.
jfVPrDJ.jpg

BT4MFXV.jpg
This mechanism casts a curse when active to affect the victims perceptions and wits, making it harder to break out of the trap.
jAYsL2W.jpg
Lynx puts a curse on his manor so the exit vanishes and the corridor loops endlessly.
EHw6pMn.jpg

o4srdcN.jpg

vtROksM.jpg

yslp6KN.jpg

ovmzqzU.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Lynx is dead in his room, with the assassin who killed him.
tmFKnPd.jpg
As Lynx is well known and powerful, his death should have been common knowledge.
8ZZfc2D.jpg
When a person dies, their mind/will/soul leave their body, but their life essence remains and dissipates as the body breaks down.
QhJrJJq.jpg
Magil cannot detect any life essence in Lynx corpse, or evidence that there was ever any life essence in the body to begin with.
htrOsOC.jpg
Serge suggests that Lynx was killed by a vampire, but Magil says that a vampire would still have a soul, and wouldn't hunt the way that Lynx died.
eLLSFso.jpg

YjeEaBw.jpg
Lynx was slain by the assassin, but he lives on trapped in the magic circle, preserving his soul in the form of a jewel (the Frozen Flame).
n896Wi0.jpg
Lynx is trapped in a magic circle that consumes souls so as to unbind him. For it to work, he needed the soul of a blood relative; in this case his daughter Felicia (In this timeline, Felicia is the one who raised Kid instead of Lucca). As the assassin slew him, his soul bound with Felicia's and the Frozen Flame was created. But even after consuming all the souls in his manor and his domain, it was not enough to break free, so he lured thieves in.
yhGM8Cb.jpg

lBDZsAo.jpg

tifp55T.jpg
Breaking the Frozen Flame is what Lynx wants, as then he could consume Kids soul and break free.
llbb8Bl.jpg
This story too ends with Serge (Senior) reminiscing and saying he'll meet Kid, Magil and Felicia again in another time and another world.
tl1c6cB.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Just as Crono and his friends went across time to save the World from Lavos, so do we save this to the Archive so people in the future can see the version in the past it was meant to be, just in case Imgur continues to ruin everything. It also seems someone else had the good idea to archive this thread too, so thank you very much (to whomever you may be)!

Back