• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

Circus of Humorous & Humiliating Arguments Part 1: OBD 2027 prologue edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
I remember trying to struggle through Spoony's "review" of Final Fantasy XIII.

"How does Lightning know she can beat this machine (first boss) with a sword. Don't give me that super soldier shit, even SOLID SNAKE needed a rocket launcher."

Firstly Snake has beaten people who can fuck with Metal Gears bare-handed. Second I don't care how much you want to suck Snake's dick, he's not some imaginary top end for how strong a super soldier's allowed to be.

And thirdly Light's own words are "It's not a question of can or can't. There are some things in life you just do." Basically she DIDN'T know, but that wasn't gonna stop her from trying to save her sister.

Then there's the shit with Snow and the Behemoth and him bitching about where he got his emblem from (it's stated to be an army surplus item on it's in-game description) or him surviving falls. 🤣

And of course the big one "This game doesn't explain anything"! YES IT DOES and (unless it's myth/lore related), you don't need to look in the datalog for it either. Everything relevant is explained in the cutscenes if you're paying attention. :maybe

Last edited:

Paxton

One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds
V.I.P. Member
Yeah I believe the "Illusion" shit was literally just fan shit, not even something Squenix stated which is even worse when later games, side games and titles have them do nonsensically bullshit feats on a constant basis and it's still just ignored... somehow.
Sephiroth's Supernova MUST be an illusion, given that he's used illusions plenty of times in the series. Otherwise, it'd completely screw up the consistency of the cast's level of power. :maybe

Power creep? What's that? :mjlol

I remember trying to struggle through Spoony's "review" of Final Fantasy XIII.

God don't even begin to remind me. People wanked that bullshit to the cows came home because it was "cool" to mock XIII at that point(and then pretend XV and the VII Remake "saved the franchise"... my fucking ass).

"How does Lightning know she can beat this machine (first boss) with a sword. Don't give me that super soldier shit, even SOLID SNAKE needed a rocket launcher."

This is so fucking retarded when Barret and Cloud killed a similar Spider-Mech in FFVII, you know? The Final Fantasy game he loves to covet till the cows come home? And don't tell me they spammed Materia on it till it fucking died, gameplay don't matter worth shit to the story unless it specifically does so.
And funny, Solid Snake needed a Rocket Launcher to deal with a... Metal Gear? It's like that maybe, Snake, Cloud and Lightning cannot be fucking compared to(This is hilarious when Big Boss can lift a Metal Gear even bigger than REX on his own and Snake would be equal to him).

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
God don't even begin to remind me. People wanked that bullshit to the cows came home because it was "cool" to mock XIII at that point(and then pretend XV and the VII Remake "saved the franchise"... my fucking ass).
At least the X-2 one was funny, I had to stop the XIII every time he said something bafflingly stupid.

Like when he admitted that Sabin suplexed a train (showing superhuman strength in a Final Fantasy character is a thing) but refused to give Snow the same benefit saying "he couldn't shine Sabin's boots" or some such shit.

I think his logic was Snow not having formal training or something and...yeah so what. The dude's a brawler, not a martial artist. He's still established as leading his own paramilitary organization and fighting monsters on the regular before the game so his superhuman abilities and combat proficiency make perfect sense.
This is so fucking retarded when Barret and Cloud killed a similar Spider-Mech in FFVII, you know? The Final Fantasy game he loves to covet till the cows come home? And don't tell me they spammed Materia on it till it fucking died, gameplay don't matter worth shit to the story unless it specifically does so.
He didn't even acknowledge that the Warmech was an obvious callback to the Spider-Mech. Right down to it being fought by "female Cloud" (sort of, given that Light did indeed develop into her own character IMO but's another topic) and a "black man with guns". So why is one okay and the other isn't? :maybe
And funny, Solid Snake needed a Rocket Launcher to deal with a... Metal Gear? It's like that maybe, Snake, Cloud and Lightning cannot be fucking compared to(This is hilarious when Big Boss can lift a Metal Gear even bigger than REX on his own and Snake would be equal to him).
It's like the whole thing where they need it spelled out in the game that the characters are superhuman and why, or anything superhuman the characters do is just written off as bad writing. Despite that not being how that works.

You don't need an explanation unless the game or series makes a big deal about humans having similar limits to us (which Final Fantasy games don't). In that position, the fact they have superhuman feats should be explanation enough.

Cloud gets a pass on that because SOLDIER and such. Yet even becoming a l'cie doesn't seem to justify it for the XIII characters, despite it basically being the same thing of humans being buffed by being given power from another source.

Last edited:

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
https://www.fanverse.org/threads/fkt-byakuya-vs-r1-ulquiorra.1260011/page-4
How the fuck has this thread reached five pages, last I checked people there at least MOSTLY agreed Byakuya got...
In the face of someone who knows how to read, this wouldn't even be a debate. Sablés is only arguing all this because of his nature of just arguing in the first place (and I have to be blunt about it... Byakuya is part of this which encourages him further) and goes with the "logic" that is least applied when powerscalling someone (feats/showings, etc) and not portrayal (which he still tries to shift how it is).
Oh Jesus Fucking Christ. :breh

This Grimm6Jack moron is literally saying that portrayal >>>> actual feats when it comes to scaling characters. Never mind that portrayal is a nebulous term and is often open to interpretation, what he's essentially arguing is we ignore actual feats that he thinks don't make sense.
Just saying Byakuya got stronger... Yeah, totally makes sense.
Indeed it does as that's what his feats indicate.
I mean, can you imagine? A side-character, not even part of the main-cast or anywhere near, to grow massively stronger than a main character who got a whole new power-up and was developing at a very fast pace to Aizen's liking?
This same "side character" got more time to shine in the FINAL arc of the series than that main character did. And also Aizen was only satisfied with Ichigo's progress by FKT, at which point he DOES have better feats than Byakuya. You realise he kept getting stronger throughout the arc right?

Byakuya's a fucking fan favourite and he's a massive prodigy who made Captain (from being a literal CHILD) in less than a century. After suffering what was likely his first ever loss, you think he's not gonna train like a madman to prevent that shit from happening again? He's never had a real incentive to train hard before this point.

So yes I can imagine it.
In just the span of a couple of months or so when Shinigamis, even the absolute geniuses, don't grow this much stronger over time or just training unless it's some special notable training (RG)?
Since fucking when?
  1. Hitsugaya had Bankai before he even finished his academy training.
  2. Renji went from not being able to see Byakuya's Senka - physically turning to block him in a matter of DAYS.
That's two examples off the top of my head and there's a lot more. Including the one you're trying very hard to deny by just ignoring feats at this point.
Ichigo himself trained like hell in the past month and stated exactly as much to Grimmjow... But no... Byakuya, who only trained on his own (no battles and no one to train with him) was able to outpace, by leaps and bounds, this... Saying this is biased is an understatement.
It's hardly biased when he blatantly keeps up with a faster Espada on panel and can wound a much stronger Espada with the basic version of his Bankai.

What's biased is trying to ignore this in favor of a mythical portrayal argument, which the series itself directly contradicts.
Imagine, Byakuya being the only Captain (aside from Kenpachi, but him getting stronger after every fight is canon confirmed in the final Arc, regardless if it's badly written or not) to grow this much stronger?
He and Kenpachi are the only ones with the blatant feats to show for it, so yeah, it's not hard to imagine.

Yes we can assume the other younger captains got stronger as well but we don't have clear points of comparison to show how much.
The only Captain that would baby slap any Espada that Sui-Feng, Hitsugaya, Shunsui couldn't?
Soi Fon and Hitsugaya yeah.

Shunsui fuck no, that part IS Sables just legitimately being biased and dumb as fuck

Dead Lock

Marvelous
Banned Member
https://www.fanverse.org/threads/golden-amazo-dcau-vs-god-emperor-doom-marvel.1260481/#post-64535519
pepe-the-frog-pepe.gif

At least the X-2 one was funny, I had to stop the XIII every time he said something bafflingly stupid.

Like when he admitted that Sabin suplexed a train (showing superhuman strength in a Final Fantasy character is a thing) but refused to give Snow the same benefit saying "he couldn't shine Sabin's boots" or some such shit.

I think his logic was Snow not having formal training or something and...yeah so what. The dude's a brawler, not a martial artist. He's still established as leading his own paramilitary organization and fighting monsters on the regular before the game so his superhuman abilities and combat proficiency make perfect sense.

It's funny because Snow literally has Strength Enhancement as the Coat he's wearing(Which is why he doesn't get gloves as a weapon but various Coats) which can be easily found out... by wondering why is Snow's main weapon is his fucking COAT and not his GLOVES.

His weapon is a special coat developed by the government which can alter the strength of the wearer. His Eidolon is the Shiva sisters, Stiria and Nix.

Again, FFXIII is the least bullshit series to make these complaints on as it's the literal fucking future.

He didn't even acknowledge that the Warmech was an obvious callback to the Spider-Mech. Right down to it being fought by "female Cloud" (sort of, given they Light did indeed develop into her own character IMO but's another topic) and a "black man with guns". So why is one okay and the other isn't?

Of course he didn't, because it would be obvious the dude has a bias.

It's like the whole thing where they need it spelled out in the game that the characters are superhuman and why, or anything superhuman the characters do is just written off as bad writing. Despite that not being how that works.

You don't need an explanation unless the game or series makes a big deal about humans having similar limits to us (which Final Fantasy games) don't. In that position, the fact they have superhuman feats should be explanation enough.

Cloud gets a pass on that because SOLDIER and such. Yet even becoming a l'cie doesn't seem to justify it for the XIII characters, despite it basically being the same thing of humans being buffed by being given power from another source.

L'Cie are literally buffed by the fucking Gods of the setting to do the job they are assigned to do and are seen as monsters and a menace and explicitly can use Magic which no one else cannot without Magitec...
If he reviewed Type-0, he most likely would have lost his shit with the stuff L'Cie there can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back