Death Battle Discussion

OrlandoSky

Paramount
Whelp so much for that
0i0ICz9.png

OrlandoSky

Paramount
Everyone in the subreddit is unusually optimistic about it the mentality of "They made it work before RT, they don't need the company to make more" is a prevailing opinion there :really I don't think they realize DB was apart of SA and Full screen I don't think they realize it's more than just a fun collaboration with a bunch of people, this was their employment and livelihood, they need a budget to keep not only this ship running but sustain an affordable income. Like Chad lives in a house with two kids to raise. Even if they all do come together and collaborate as their collective brain child with this they need an employer because splitting youtube sponsorships among several dozen people per episode isn't a sustainable idea. That's why Luis and DJ are pretty much confirming their unemployed and looking for work, it's why Chad's vague tweet was pretty much summed up as "whelp, we'll do our best to keep this going but it's been a good run while it lasted"

Gofundme/fan fundraisers per season is their best bet and It's tough to even say how available they'd all be once they get jobs somewhere else unless someone buys the DB brand.

Top59

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Yes, it is complicated, and since it is very expensive, I doubt that another YT channel will copy that format.

OrlandoSky

Paramount
War happened to his wife
He’s married with his wife but I don’t know what her job is and I don’t think it’s enough to sustain a family of four, I hope he finds a new job soon. With RT gone a lot of the online market is in LA and moving there is so expensive it’s pretty much out of the option for most people in Texas.

Great Potato

Preeminent
Unfortunate news, hoping the best for them. Death Battle is a staple of this niche space of internet versus debating we occupy, it managed to transcend the sphere and reach a casual audience.

Watching the evolution from it being universally mocked on the forums to slowly gaining more and more respect with banger animations and actual thought out research has been a treat these past years. If this ends at S10 with their most requested match-up as their final battle then that's a hell of a way to go out, but it's a pity to have the rug pulled out from under them coming off that momentum.

Claudio Swiss

Luminous
V.I.P. Member

Donkey Kong VS Crash Bandicoot- Talked about again because they forgot they already did. Liam says it makes a lot of sense, and he’s pretty sure that DK stomps. They all agree that the fight would be fun and goofy.

Buggy the Clown VS Arataki Itto (One Piece VS Genshin Impact)- Liam loves Buggy and supports any MU for him. After John explains that Itto has a similar shtick to Buggy (constantly failing upwards), Sam says it’s fun and he likes it.

Sonic VS Spider-Punk (Sonic Underground VS Marvel)- Liam and Erin are both into it, with Liam calling it “cute”. Erin notes that the two characters have very different art styles.

Krillin VS Bandanna Waddle Dee (Dragon Ball VS Kirby)- John says it’s very close, but everyone thinks Bandanna Dee probably wins via scaling to Kirby, which disappoints Sam, who wants Krillin to “have his day in the sun”. Liam notes that people who aren’t super familiar with Kirby would probably be confused by the title and assume that Bandanna Dee is just a Waddle Dee variant and not an actual character.

General Grievous VS Doctor Nefarious (Star Wars VS Ratchet & Clank)- Liam loves Grievous, and is disappointed that he sucks in everything other that the Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars series. There’s more discussion about Grievous, but not really any on the MU (Side note: This was the MU that I submitted…).

Larryboy VS Bibleman (VeggieTales VS Bibleman)- They all think that it’s excellent.

Luke Skywalker VS Paul Atreides (Star Wars VS Dune)- Sam reveals they’re about to do it on the Cast. Liam notes Paul’s one insane speed feat (where he processes everyone in history’s thoughts at once), but doesn’t think that Paul has much else. Erin mentions that the aforementioned feat makes Paul’s brain insanely fast, but he probably couldn’t move that fast, and Sam agrees that Luke is probably faster physically.

Baki Hanma VS Tokita Ohma (Baki the Grappler VS Kengan Ashura)- John calls it a classic. Liam says it seems really cool, and likes episodes that focus on actual martial arts. John notes that Baki used to stomp, but it’s a lot closer nowadays. Sam suggests putting it on the “Cast to-do list”.

Vash the Stampede VS Vincent Valentine (Trigun VS Final Fantasy)- They joke about the connections not being super strong (“they have guns and they have red coats”), but call it a classic regardless. Sam talks about how Vincent’s powers are very vaguely defined, though John says that more recent material has been expanding on Vincent, so “we might get something”. Sam ultimately says it would be pretty fun.

Gordon Freeman VS Isaac Clarke (Half-Life VS Dead Space)- Glossed over because it’s been talked about a lot. Sam calls it a banger, and Erin says it’s in the “matter of time category”.

Kirby VS Nanoha (Kirby VS Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha)- They don’t know who Nanoha is, but Sam says he’s always on board with more Kirby.

Peridot VS Zim (Steven Universe VS Invader Zim)- They don’t have much to say on the MU itself, but Liam says that Zim is a perfect character to have on DB.

Kumagawa Misogi VS Klarion the Witch Boy (Medaka Box VS DC)- Sam calls Klarion “a DC deep pick”. Liam says that Kumagawa is insanely OP. He doesn’t know how powerful Klarion is, but guesses from the connections that he might be a Lord of Chaos, which would make him insanely powerful. Sam says chaos stuff is usually fun, and is “sure there’s something in here that would make a great episode”. John says it’s “got a unique card”.

Moro VS Tirek (Dragon Ball VS My Little Pony)- After a lengthy side tangent about Moro’s design, Liam says that it seems cool. John agrees that he likes it, and assumes Moro wins because of Dragon Ball scaling. Sam thinks Dragon Ball VS MLP is an interesting crossover.

(They gloss over Mysterio VS Scarecrow because it’s been talked about a lot).

Kid Goku VS Dai (Dragon Ball VS Dragon Quest)- Sam initially isn’t sure that DQ could stand up to Dragon Ball, but the others point out that it should be a fairly close MU since it’s specifically using kid Goku, with Liam and John arguing that Dai probably wins. Sam says it’s cool and fun.

Gon Freecss VS Kabane Kusaka (Hunter x Hunter VS Kemono Jihen)- None of them have heard of Kemono Jihen (even John, who usually knows whatever anime gets brought up). John does say that the connections seem strong, though.

Zoro VS Kenpachi (One Piece VS Bleach)- They talk mostly about the stuff Zoro has been up to in the recent chapters, but say that it’s a good fight at the end.

Lupin III VS Sly Cooper- Sam calls it a “real, genuine cheek-clapper”. They all love it, and found the Cast debate fun.

Omni-Man VS Bardock (Invincible VS Dragon Ball)- Sam calls it a banger. John says that it could go either way, “unlike the last fight Omni-Man had”. Sam jokes that they get a lot of requests for “dad battles”.

Blixer VS Flowey (Just Shapes & Beats VS Undertale)- John says the track would be interesting because of the rhythm-based nature of Just Shapes & Beats.

Nora VS Kyoko (RWBY VS River City Girls)- Liam thinks that River City Girls is great, and is rooting for Kyoko. Sam prefers Nora VS Poppy, but thinks Nora VS Kyoko makes sense regardless.

First matchup for the next Ballot Banter is Clive Rosfield VS Velvet Crowe (Final Fantasy XVI VS Tales of Berseria).

Back