Dungeons & Dragons Feats and Lore General

Flowering Knight

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
damn I ain't expect that :rock

oh is there any difference in editions for the Tarrasque? I used the 3E pic because that's the "iconic Tarrasque" in my mind
Usually editions consist primarily of mechanical changes, and have little bearing on lore by themselves. What does have bearing are the lore changes that are made when transitioning between editions, such as Vecna ascending to godhood from 2e to 3e, or how Faerun went through the Spellplague to explain the mechanical changes that 4e brought (and were later retracted in 5e).

Usually certain monsters will have differences throughout editions and the like, such as dragons gaining their intelligence and spellcasting starting from 3e for example, or the Tarrasque having absurd regen and kill conditions in 3e and its Earthbinding Aura in 4e. But usually these are all mechanical changes, and the lore tends to stay the same.

Flowering Knight

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member

This will be either really good and pull in a whole new audience or bogged down depending on how greedy they get with MTX if they implement it
Seems like a good idea but I'd also rather not have to pay extra for individual minis or for books I already own. Also worried the whole One D&D thing might become a subscription service, I don't want to have to pay 10 bucks a month to get together and pretend to be elves with the boys :wow

If they do it right and go easy on the microtransactions and other nonsense (or at least let me use my physical books and sheets), this could probably be one of the best VTTs on the market. If they fuck it up though then at least other alternatives exist.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Seems like a good idea but I'd also rather not have to pay extra for individual minis or for books I already own. Also worried the whole One D&D thing might become a subscription service, I don't want to have to pay 10 bucks a month to get together and pretend to be elves with the boys :wow

If they do it right and go easy on the microtransactions and other nonsense (or at least let me use my physical books and sheets), this could probably be one of the best VTTs on the market. If they fuck it up though then at least other alternatives exist.
Exactly. I don’t want to get nickel and dimed for everything assuming this becomes available on PlayStation

Is Pathfinder a part of DnD or is it its own thing? :hm
Pathfinder is an offshoot or a continuation of D&D 3.5e, but it's owned by Paizo instead of the Wizard of the Coast. Paizo was the publisher of Dragon magazines and Dungeon magazines. They had all the in-house writers, artists, and editors. Then Wizard of the Coast decided they would go with an online format and cancelled its relationship with Paizo. Wizard of the Coast thought they could do the content support in 4e. Paizo responded by using the OGL under the 3.5e rules set to create Pathfinder, a D&D 3.75e, to keep its creative team working.

Pathfinder is technically its own thing, with its own universe, lore, gods, etc. With some things taken from D&D. Though, the Critical Role setting has Sarenrae as a deity who is a Pathfinder deity.

Flowering Knight

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
So in a few threads I've mentioned a few more stuff on how epic tier characters can go all the way up to planet/star level. Never actually posted it in this thread (bad habit of mine lol), but better late than never I guess.

So other than the whole deal with godly avatars scaling to the leviathan, which can destroy the planet if awoken, epic level characters can straight up fight Allabar, who is a literal planet.

Furthermore, epic characters can fight against Lolth herself. It's also explicitly Lolth's true form, as her aspect is given an entirely different (and much weaker) statblock.

This isn't the only time epic characters are able to fight and defeat legitimate gods, as 4th Edition's Last Breath of the Dragon Queen module in Dungeon Magazine (itself part of the Scales of War adventure path) pits the party against Tiamat herself.
xeuHd8C.png

The beginning of the adventure even clarifies that this isn't an aspect or avatar, but the real deal, even stating that Tiamat is at the height of her power during this time.
mxVohS2.png

Since the power level for gods varies from setting to setting, and 4th Edition doesn't have a distinction between lesser or greater gods, it's safer to go off the star level feats associated with lesser gods, posted earlier in this thread. Though many deities who are often greater gods were slain within the Dawn War, such as Nerull and Io. Said deities were also slain by other deities, primordials, or even demon princes (such as Orcus, Demogorgon, and Rimmon slaying the god Amoth, or Yeenoghu slaying Gorellik). So epic level characters at their highest end are likely star level+ to maybe universe level. This should also scale to demon princes within the Nentir Vale, overall bringing in another big boost.

Flowering Knight

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
@Flowering Knight @Papa Nier How powerful is Borys from Dark Sun? :hm
Probably the one character in Dark Sun who would actually scale from all the other shit in D&D, honestly. In addition to all of his broken spells and psionics, the guy was on the higher end of epic tier in 4e, only slightly below the true forms of Tiamat and Lolth, and even in 2e he was 30th level which is unheard of. So more than likely in the same ballpark of star+ to potentially universe level.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Probably the one character in Dark Sun who would actually scale from all the other shit in D&D, honestly. In addition to all of his broken spells and psionics, the guy was on the higher end of epic tier in 4e, only slightly below the true forms of Tiamat and Lolth, and even in 2e he was 30th level which is unheard of. So more than likely in the same ballpark of star+ to potentially universe level.
Thank you. I really love his vibe.
ih8rXZn.jpg

Elminster’s statblocks. In 3e he is level 35 (Wizard 24, Archmage 5, Cleric 3, Rogue 2, and Fighter 1) with a CR of 39.
UAlmDbQ.jpg

qNx8rZF.jpg

MaibFiw.jpg

IeI8DLM.jpg

Mordenkainen is a level 27 Wizard and CR 27 in 3e. He knows all wizard and sorcerer spells.
JFM2K59.jpg
bJcbibD.jpg

In 1e as a pre-generated playable character Mordenkainen is a level 12 magic-user.
5FEz8uc.jpg

Strahd had a fierce battle against Mordenkainen which ended with Strahd turning Mordenkainen crazy and hurled him away towards Tser Falls. Mordenkainen and Elminster are friends even though they both come from different worlds. 5e Mordenkainen has been nerfed to a level 18 spellcaster using the Archmage from the Monsters Manual as his statblock with a few altercations from Curse of Strahd.
Mev6qKc.jpg
OZLSUuq.jpg
7iHGOkO.jpg
6335ZTI.jpg

Flowering Knight

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
There are numerous mentions of the collective D&D cosmology within each setting as being the multiverse. It also refers to the Material Plane as being the most Earthlike, operating under the same rules as the real world according to 3.5e's Planar Handbook.
pXyejP8.png

The Material Plane isn't limited to just Earth, thanks to the confirmed existence of outer space and everything within it (special mention goes to Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, which features a crashed spaceship). Barring a few exceptions, one could argue that many of the other planes within the Great Wheel cosmology (and probably the World Axis, too) are at least somewhat comparable in size.

Partially related (for now): Fiendish Codex I makes a direct power comparison between demon lords and lesser gods. Normally these types of comparisons were reserved for the big boys (usually Orcus, Demogorgon, or Lolth), but this implies that most if not all demon lords are comparable. Which is consistent with demon lords being able to slay gods during the Dawn War (even though that's a Nentir Vale-specific thing, the intent is there).
3EMcoVl.png

Though I posted this in another thread, it's worth posting here, not just because of the statement that such beings can supposedly "alter the Abyss to suit their whims" (which depending how you interpret that can be huge), but because the direct power comparison to lesser gods is a ridiculously massive boost, so much so it's not even funny. Legit, this means anyone who scales to a demon lord (or is otherwise comparable to one) is receiving the scaling that would normally be reserved for the strongest possible epic characters and monsters. We're talking, even Solars are star level+, potentially universe level depending on how some of this shit is interpreted.

Maybe I'm just tired (and I am), but I swear I thought I had this all figured out, and then me thinking about this one line completely changed everything. What the fuck.

The planet Earth exists in D&D multiverse. Elminster goes there for the pina coladas and to purchase German beer and sell it to his friend. Also invites Mordenkainen.
wM08gYz.jpg

37p3CJj.jpg
K2S093R.jpg

Elminster has tried Australian beer
sXu9r0n.jpg

A mug of cocoa
jByfdjJ.jpg

Bailey’s Irish Cream
G37B377.jpg

Mayonnaise
aksv53h.jpg

Pizza
3b4YdO4.jpg

Pumpernickel
C4pOe9G.jpg

Cola and root beer.
7MolBwv.jpg
xVNkiy2.jpg

All kinds of cheese
HniJEsE.jpg

Ice cream, tequila sunrise, Amaretto, Writers Tears whiskey, Aero bars, Kit Kats, and Mars Bars

Phaethon's capabilities and CR rating is 34. "Phaethons are the progeny of fire gods. No fire burns hotter than the rage personified by a phaethon. Gargantuan blots of sentient magma, phaethons burn their way through the belly of the earth. When roused, they burst to the surface, creating miniature volcanoes as they exit, only to sweep toward the closest flammable object or creature, a tsunami of red hot liquid rock. Many worlds contain phaethons locked away at their heart, unable to break the compulsion laid on them by higher powers. The heat at the core of some worlds is sometimes altogether due to a supernatural phaethon (or brood of phaethons), trapped and raging for eons. Sometimes a phaethon breaks its eternal geas for a day or a season, during which time it incinerates anything it can flow over and smother."

The Leviathan is huge enough to encircle the entire world, when it wakes the oceans will boil and rage, whole continents will slide into the abyssal deeps, and the entire world will shudder. When fully awakened will destroy the world.

Runelords in Pathfinder somehow survive and tank the Starstone falling onto them. The Starstone shook the world and drove the seas across continents that, nearly extinguished the light of humanity.
UaUc75X.jpg
WcppbhK.jpg
xFsCQmP.jpg
CgleBHQ.jpg

According to James Jacobs, the creative director of Pathfinder, some of the powerful Runelords, at their prime, are in the CR 26-28 range.

Pathfinder has Cthulhu, whose CR is 30. He can put creatures in maddening dreams, similar to the Nightmare spell, with the additional effect of making them insane. Can survive in outer space's void and fly through outer space at incredible speeds. A trip within the solar system typically takes between 2 hours to 12 hours. A trip beyond usually takes between 2 days to 12 days. He can't indeed stay dead. With his unspeakable presence, Cthulhu can kill creatures that are not immune to fear. Cthulhu is colossal in size. Colossal size creatures are usually 64 feet tall or more and weigh 125 tons or more.
DkPOiS2.jpg
BeOjaxt.jpg

bA4RukX.jpg

Oma, a CR of 16, can survive in the void of outer space and soar through the vacuum at incredible speed. A trip between two planets within a solar system takes between 3 days to 60 days. While a trip to another system takes between 3 weeks to 60 weeks. Oma usually feeds on cosmic materials strained from planetary rings and atmospheres with their energy baleen. A typical Oma is 150 feet long and weighs 250 tons.
BeXcTpx.jpg

UPVLTPG.jpg

Mi-Go, a CR of 6, can survive in the void of outer space and can fly through space at incredible speed. A trip within a single solar system takes between 3 months to 60 months, while a trip beyond takes between 3 years to 60 years. Mi-Go are usually scientists and colonists. They possess the ability to create strange items that combine technology and magic.
9Xr9is5.jpg
y9jCBEA.jpg

Flowering Knight

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Turns out star level stuff exists for non-epic beings such as Father Llymic :mjgrin

Father Llymic causes the sun itself to vanish as he's about to awaken as part of his sign. Elder Evils describes signs as "the physical, magical, or psychological imprint of the elder evil", further stating that the effects of a sign may be "nearly as devastating as the elder evil itself". It even says that by the time the elder evil in question is about to arrive (which is where overwhelming sign effects come in) the player characters are capable of easily resisting all but the worst effects.
tLK8hWz.png

cIpPr9p.png

It's stated that Father Llymic's power growing is enough to cause the sun to dim and eventually "grow dark".
b1NeCfr.png

When Father Llymic approaches his full power, the sun itself loses the ability to contain him in his prison, which is how he's able to cause it to disappear in the first place.
jihKw1f.png

It's also stated multiple times that only after Father Llymic is defeated that the sun may rise again.
G4lNjFl.png

5GGXH3H.png

The real kicker to all this? Father Llymic himself is only CR 18, meaning there are dozens of other beings stronger than him who may be able to scale from all this.
ivSQYfK.png

I swear I'm not boosting this series intentionally :hestonpls

Back