Dungeons & Dragons Feats and Lore General

In Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus 5e campaign book, you have a Dragonborn Paladin of Tiamat by the name of Arkhan the Cruel from Toril via Forgotten Realms setting who had a brief visit to the world of Exandria (the same world where Critical Role and The Legend of Vox Machina takes place) where he came into the possession of an artifact Hand of Vecna.
5zbPyP5.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
A few notes I took of my own a while back (all from 5e).

The tsunamu spell allows for the creation of a tsunami 300 feet tall and wide and 500 feet thick.

A wall of water springs into existence at a point you choose within range. You can make the wall up to 300 feet long, 300 feet high, and 50 feet thick. The wall lasts for the duration.

When the wall appears, each creature within its area must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 6d10 bludgeoning damage, or half as much damage on a successful save.

At the start of each of your turns after the wall appears, the wall, along with any creatures in it, moves 50 feet away from you. Any Huge or smaller creature inside the wall or whose space the wall enters when it moves must succeed on a Strength saving throw or take 5d10 bludgeoning damage. A creature can take this damage only once per round. At the end of the turn, the wall's height is reduced by 50 feet, and the damage creatures take from the spell on subsequent rounds is reduced by 1d10. When the wall reaches 0 feet in height, the spell ends.

A creature caught in the wall can move by swimming. Because of the force of the wave, though, the creature must make a successful Strength (Athletics) check against your spell save DC in order to move at all. If it fails the check, it can't move. A creature that moves out of the area falls to the ground.
The gods of Dragonlance are bound to that setting alone, and exist as constellations.
These deities have been called by many different names and held in varying levels of esteem by different peoples and cultures through the world’s history, but they are the only gods of this world—their place fixed in the stars as constellations.
One can also control the weather 5 miles around them, including creating storms and reducing the temperature to Arctic conditions, should the caster desire it.
You take control of the weather within 5 miles of you. You must be outdoors. If you move to a place where you don't have a clear path to the sky, the spell ends early.

When you cast the spell, you change the current weather conditions. It takes 1d4 x 10 minutes for the new conditions to take effect. Once they do, you can change the conditions again. When the spell ends, the weather gradually returns to normal.

When you change the weather conditions, find a condition on the table and change its stage by one. When changing the wind, you can change its direction.
Heavy rain, hail, or snow 5 Cold 5 Storm
6 Arctic cold
You can also create your own demi-plane 30 feet across, and access it again in the future.
You create a shadowy door on a flat solid surface that you can see within range. The door is large enough to allow Medium creatures to pass through unhindered. When opened, the door leads to a demiplane that appears to be an empty room 30ft in each dimension, made of wood or stone. When the spell ends, the door disappears, and any creatures or objects inside the demiplane remain trapped there, as the door also disappears from the outside. Each time you cast this spell, you create a new demiplane, or have the shadowy door connect to a demiplane you created with a previous casting of this spell. Additionally, if you know the nature and contents of a demiplane created by a casting of this spell by another creature, you can have the shadowy door connect to its demiplane instead.
Blue dragons can create thunder storms within 6 miles of their lair.
The region containing a legendary blue dragon's lair is warped by the dragon's magic, which creates one or more of the following effects:
  • Thunderstorms rage within 6 miles of the lair.
  • Dust devils scour the land within 6 miles of the lair. A dust devil has the statistics of an air elemental, but it can’t fly, has a speed of 50 feet, and has an Intelligence and Charisma of 1 (−5).
  • Hidden sinkholes form in and around the dragon’s lair. A sinkhole can be spotted from a safe distance with a successful DC 20 Wisdom (Perception) check. Otherwise, the first creature to step on the thin crust covering the sinkhole must succeed on a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw or fall 1d6 × 10 feet into the sinkhole.
The kraken can control the weather within 6 miles of its lair, and cause water elementals to coalesce within 6 miles of the lair, and mind control unintelligent aquatic creatures within 6 miles of its lair.
  • The kraken can alter the weather at will in a 6-mile radius centered on its lair. The effect is identical to the control weather spell.
  • Water elementals coalesce within 6 miles of the lair. These elementals can’t leave the water and have Intelligence and Charisma scores of 1 (−5).
  • Aquatic creatures within 6 miles of the lair that have an Intelligence score of 2 or lower are charmed by the kraken and aggressive toward intruders in the area.
The krakens once served as fierce warriors of the gods, and can create or stop storms to its will, and they can breathe air as well as water.
Beneath the waves, the kraken sleeps for untold age~,'' waiting some fell sign or calling. Land-born mortals who sail the open sea forget the reasons their ancestors dreaded the ocean, even as the races of the deep ignore strange gaps in their histories when their civilizations nearly vanished after the appearance of the tentacled horror. Leviathans of Legend. At the beginning of time, krakens served as fierce warriors of the gods. When the gods' wars ended, the krakens shrugged free of their servitude, never again to be bound by other beings. Whole nations quake in fear when the kraken emerges from its dark demesne, and even in the middle of the deepest oceans, storms rise or abate according to its will. The kraken is a primeval force that obliterates the greatest achievements of civilization as if they were castles in the sand. Its devastating attacks can destroy ocean trade and halt communication between coastal cities. An ominous darkness presages a kraken's attack, and a cloud of inky poison colors the water around it. Galleons and warships vanish when its tentacles uncoil from the deep, the kraken breaking their masts like kindling before drawing down ships and crew. Not even landlocked surface dwellers are safe from a kraken's wrath. Krakens can breathe air as easily as water, and some crawl up rivers to nest in freshwater lakes, destroying cities and towns along the way. Adventurers tell of these monsters !airing in the ruins of lakeside citadels, their tentacles twined around leaning towers of disintegrating stone.
The Far Realm exists beyond the known multiverse, and may be its own seperate multiverse with its own laws.
The Far Realm is beyond the known multiverse. In fact, it might be an entirely separate multiverse with its own physical and magical laws.
The DnD multiverse contains endless worlds, and all DnD settings and player campaigns.
The worlds of the Dungeons & Dragons game exist within a vast cosmos called the multiverse, connected in strange and mysterious ways to one another and to other planes of existence, such as the Elemental Plane of Fire and the Infinite Depths of the Abyss. Within this multiverse are an endless variety of worlds. Many of them have been published as official settings for the D&D game. The legends of the Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Greyhawk, Dark Sun, Mystara, and Eberron settings are woven together in the fabric of the multiverse. Alongside these worlds are hundreds of thousands more, created by generations of D&D players for their own games. And amid all the richness of the multiverse, you might create a world of your own.

Flowering Knight

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
In Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus 5e campaign book, you have a Dragonborn Paladin of Tiamat by the name of Arkhan the Cruel from Toril via Forgotten Realms setting who had a brief visit to the world of Exandria (the same world where Critical Role and The Legend of Vox Machina takes place) where he came into the possession of an artifact Hand of Vecna.
5zbPyP5.jpg
Seeing this reminds me of how Spelljamming and stuff involving the Plane of Shadow could both also be used to travel to different settings. Or how Dragonborn were literally transported from the Nentir Vale to the Forgotten Realms.

Makes you wonder about the scaling implications.

Flowering Knight

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
In 4th Edition, both Balors and Pit Fiends are considered epic tier monsters. Which, in the context of 4E specifically means anything from levels 21 to 30.

5c0UW0C.png

UT0aLAE.png

V0NfrlF.png

The interesting part about all this? They're on the same level as abominations such as Phanes and Atropals. This isn't to say every balor or pit fiend scales to them, but the top tier ones would easily. So while the majority of them would sit around city level as normal, the absolute highest end balors/pit fiends would certainly rank around continent level. Personally I'd put the original six balor demons and the Dark Eight here as well.

Here is Joe Manganiello’s character Arkhan, the Oathbreaker Paladin Berserker Barbarian Dragonborn, after betraying Vox Machina by stealing the Hand of Vecna and teleporting away. The same Arkhan from Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus 5e campaign, that campaign setting is a prequel to Larian Studios Baldur’s Gate III. Arkhan resides in his tower in Avernus the first layer of the Nine Hells of Baator, with his two other companions his Minotaur bodyguard Torogar Steelfist, and his Tortle Death Cleric Krull. Arkhan also has his own Manticore Chango and can summon his Chimera Asojono.

ZeEVSGF.jpg
kDlBK1W.jpg
eH6wF01.jpg

Last edited:
So I thought that each setting had its versions of the same-named deities, but it turns out they all might be one and the same. Depending on what setting, they have different power rankings. Like they could be a lesser deity in one setting and a greater deity in another setting.

D&D deities can be worshipped in multiple spheres/settings. Depending on the number of worships and the nature of those spheres, they have different levels of power and understanding. They could even be referred to as other names and have different alignments depending on the setting. Belief plays an essential role for them like, say, for example, Mystra. In Toril, via Forgotten Realms, they believe that Mystra knows everything regarding magic and is classed as a greater deity in that setting. In Krynn via Dragonlance, magic has nothing to do with her, and she would have to start at the bottom ladder as a lesser deity to work her way her influence.

On Hallowed Ground, an accessory book for the Planescape setting is the source for powers and pantheons. Planescape is a setting that bridges multiple D&D worlds together. Here is a more in-depth explanation.
VRZSRR7.jpg
X2Kz1PP.jpg
ZVKLLPc.jpg
Q3ljAU9.jpg

Here is a section from 2e Faiths and Avatars, "Multispheric Powers, or Is Tiamat Dead or Not?". Takhisis and Tiamat may be either the same entity or separate entities.
057Iz8U.jpg
XVl6qy3.jpg

9ngsi19.jpg

Flowering Knight

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Got around to playing Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone again, a fun little hack and slash in the same vein as the LOTR Return of the King game. Being part of the Forgotten Realms setting, it also provides us with some decent stuff.

In one of the cutscenes, Khelben Arunsun, an epic level wizard and archmage, explains that the two main antagonists of the game, the Githyanki Cireka and the Slaad Lord Ygorl fought each other within the eponymous Demon Stone, before saying that either one of them would end up destroying Faerun if set free.
98WSa24.png

x2wYbF6.png

Ygorl later ends up fighting Khelben later on in said cutscene. In a later cutscene partway through the mission, Ygorl ends up winning handily.

Also, Drizzt Do'Urden shows up in a later mission, and proves to be just as competent as the rest of the protagonists, if not moreso. He even comments that he'd help the others deal with Ygorl and Cireka if he wasn't needed at Mithral Hall.
x3NKMKE.png

So yeah, even without putting Slaad Lords at the same level of power as Demon Lords and Archdevils, it's still more evidence for country/continent level epic level characters.

Atem

King of Games
V.I.P. Member
Got around to playing Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone again, a fun little hack and slash in the same vein as the LOTR Return of the King game. Being part of the Forgotten Realms setting, it also provides us with some decent stuff.

In one of the cutscenes, Khelben Arunsun, an epic level wizard and archmage, explains that the two main antagonists of the game, the Githyanki Cireka and the Slaad Lord Ygorl fought each other within the eponymous Demon Stone, before saying that either one of them would end up destroying Faerun if set free.
98WSa24.png

x2wYbF6.png

Ygorl later ends up fighting Khelben later on in said cutscene. In a later cutscene partway through the mission, Ygorl ends up winning handily.

Also, Drizzt Do'Urden shows up in a later mission, and proves to be just as competent as the rest of the protagonists, if not moreso. He even comments that he'd help the others deal with Ygorl and Cireka if he wasn't needed at Mithral Hall.
x3NKMKE.png

So yeah, even without putting Slaad Lords at the same level of power as Demon Lords and Archdevils, it's still more evidence for country/continent level epic level characters.

I remember this game. The soundtrack was a banger.

Flowering Knight

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
So I took another look at some of these, and I noticed a few things
Some potential FTL feats found in 4e.

Warlocks are capable of forming pacts with stars, and are able to call upon the powers of said stars.
FUHC6ek.png

This is further supported by warlocks being able to call down beams of sunlight from as early as level 3. It even provides benefits for Star pact warlocks, which pairs well with the implication that this originates from another star.
owA6mdT.png

Sorcerers are also capable of casting similar spells. The spell in question is also capable of being amplified if the sorcerer in question is a cosmic sorcerer. For context, sorcerers gain their powers (at least in 4E) through an instinctive or innate connection to a specific source of power.
jCy7eT3.png

Context on cosmic sorcerers.
Ci52vRI.png

A small but important detail about the latter spell is that it can't be avoided via reflex, but will. Despite this, there are still certain abilities that could let characters react to the beam outright.

(Context on the 'square' term: 4E replaced all instances of conventional distance with 'squares', but for all intents and purposes it should still be the same as other entries, and therefore 1 square=5 feet)
7ubtwsV.png

t40ChpX.png

KtbsaxE.png

Pretty sure these feats should scale to just about everyone.

Turns out some of those are against Will defenses, meaning defending them wouldn't count as reaction feats. Which would render them void... if this wasn't 4th Edition where everyone and their mother had abilities that count as reaction feats. Not just the ones also posted above, but I found multiple more within the basic PHB:

And these are just a small amount of such abilities, I could post way more if I wanted to. And to think, most of these are low to mid level abilities, not unlike the aforementioned star feats. And if we assume that said stars are a similar distance to our equivalent closest star? We might just be looking at MFTL feats for everyone, not just the top tiers. Between this and the epic tier scaling, it's funny how the most divisive edition would end up giving the series the biggest boosts.

Flowering Knight

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Warlocks can BFR foes by straight up throwing them into a "remote and terrible corner of the cosmos"
xpnazuI.png

Also, more spells involving attacking with starlight. 4e seems to really like shoving in FTL feats
Rkt8eKc.png

ijrNjZm.png

Who knows, I might do a calc with one of these so we can get some concrete numbers. :maybe

Flowering Knight

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member

Easy stuff to work with but I figured it might help if we got some actual numbers out of all this.

Flowering Knight

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
how strong is this nigga
the_15_most_powerful_monsters_in_dd_2_0.jpg
"Not as strong as the dragons from Game of Thrones" -SB

Nah but for real though: probably a lot stronger than I thought, for one. At least the Tarrasque should be continental+ when scaling from other epic-tier monsters and characters. At the same time, he's consistently comparable to several godly avatars and aspect, such as those of Tiamat and Lolth, as well as being only slighly below or equal to demon princes such as Orcus. Who themselves are often comparable to godly avatars. In addition, he should be comparable to Allabar, who is a literal planet.

So it's likely that, in addition to receiving the MFTL+ scaling that nearly everyone gets, the Tarrasque might actually be legitimately planet level.

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
damn I ain't expect that :rock

oh is there any difference in editions for the Tarrasque? I used the 3E pic because that's the "iconic Tarrasque" in my mind

Last edited:
Back