God of War Discussion, Lore, Feats, & Analysis Thread

Top59

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Just out of curiosity, is it possible to calculate the feat of freezing Thor's lightning bolts?

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
My playthrough of Ragnarok continues...
The Norns see the lives of any who approach them.
lTYGk9T.jpg
The parts of your mind that the Norns make you see are also real.
ju5NvY9.png

11qNGUE.png
The Norns can seemingly open realm tears.

Kelpies are water horses. In Mimir's lands, they tell children to stay away from the lochs incase a kelpie drags them underwater, whereas a kelpie would only do that if it's disrespected (this would also imply some kind of connection between the Norse and Celtic pantheons/mythos).
uMIJEL9.png

I9V1YkO.png

A115scU.png

FtBcvF7.png

ztLUNaG.png
Kelpie's can walk on water (and swim under the water).
G7f6r7b.png
qQlpLiM.jpg
Kratos says he has killed gods greater than Heimdal, which Mimir doesn't doubt.
aN6YYXK.jpg

N62WH8C.jpg
With Nidhogg dead, her young have spread out across the Nine Realms, and if left unattended they could devour the Nine Realms entirely. As such, you have to bring them back to Ratatskor for him to raise (you capture them in a special device Ratatskor gives you).
TJ3ldwT.jpg

5bm1Kob.jpg

RZsjrvp.jpg

rNgm7FD.jpg

cMt8Shb.jpg

h5ReIu5.png

4xhRrcf.jpg

vTcOZYh.jpg

KnQ4fNL.jpg

kehmBKM.jpg
Dwarven magic is about the intangibles, and how the nature of something is more important than its form.
ZGTy41Y.jpg

KyrHhew.jpg

XJaijyV.jpg
The Lady's forge is a forge of nature rather than of form.
MMyzUaV.jpg%27

5bGNLVK.jpg
Kratos attaches a rope to Draupnir and throws it far.

(To be continued...)

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
(...Continued from above.)
Atreus deducts that the place where the rift is in Asgard is where Odin killed Ymir. In turn, Odin says that Ymir was more a force of nature (or vessel of power) than a physical being, and Odin saw in that the opportunity to create something more.
lx6sHTC.jpg

aYEIdr3.jpg

tJQ3fTM.jpg

spAk2G4.jpg

XUaOzjG.jpg

EbaaHkg.jpg

Hg5md9W.jpg
Odin says that after he slew Ymir, he looked inside the rift (the possible birthplace of reality) and saw something looking back. He heard things he could not comprehend but knew where true. He thought he would never see inside it again, until he saw the mask.
3xgSrE2.jpg

FU3YMSr.jpg

FSY1iri.jpg

lXgO8DG.jpg

nqSUPMa.jpg

RqwAuaI.jpg
Not knowing what it's capable of, Atreus and Thrud free Garm, who is capable of chewing through the fabric of the Nine Realms, and can chew holes between realms.
KboSwoZ.jpg
Odin says that they are safe from Garm in Asgard, but the other realms are not safe from the chaos that will ensue (and has already begun).
io3kbHF.jpg

SWQRid3.jpg
Garm damages the fabric of the realms to the extent that realm tears even appear outside Brok & Sindri's home.
kaVusEP.jpg
Garm will munch through the fabric of the realms, and that Hel-Walkers would be just the beginning.
FSymA2L.png

REOGC7D.png

pBY2ja1.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Also some thoughts on Ymir...
Even if Ymir's body is just Norway/Scandinavia, that's still huge. A quick search reveals that Norway is 1100 miles long (or roughly 1170km), with it's coastlines being even longer.
Norway is a very long and narrow country situated at the northern tip of Europe. It extends 1 770 km/1 100 miles from south to north, a distance equal to that from Oslo to Rome or from New York to Miami, crossing the Polar Circle at about 2/3 of the length.

Its ragged coastline measures 19 950 km/12 400 miles and once upon a time inspired the Vikings to name the country Norway, i.e. the way to the North.
Then there are also the other Nine Realms to take into account too (which may or may not have been fashioned from Ymir's body, though Utangard encompasses different realms, and the place which Ymir was slain in was Asgard).

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Some quite impressive feats and a whole ton of hype.
Garm destroys several stone structures, both by physically crashing into them and with ice attacks.

Even after defeating Garm, it comes back again. If they aren't able to stop Garm, it would keep opening Hel-tears and flooding the Nine Realms with the dead, which would eventually cause the Nine Realms to collapse.
AQRwRE2.jpg
Atreus accidentally put Fenrir's soul into his knife. As Garm doesn't have a soul (and therefore can't be killed), Atreus put Fenrirs soul inside Garm.
sM6DXnl.png
iPFfNkP.png

qhKlyhB.png

uGhdXY6.png

CGoBzmT.png
They succeed, and when Fenrir is told to go home, he opens a giant portal to go (to what I assume is) Kratos & Atreus' home in Midgard (he also seems to do this by ripping the fabric of space with his claws).

Hraesvelgr is the current Hel, and there have been at least nine other beings with this title before her (her titles also include Swallower of the Dead and Author of the Winds).
QvmVuLU.jpg
Hraesvelgr says there are six realm tears to close, and says not to expect thanks (as this is Atreus's fault which he must fix).
S6TZoIV.jpg
The Mask wasn't made by the giants, and suspected it was a way to gaze into the secrets of Creation itself. It's also the key to becoming one with a source of infinite knowledge.
F4cSiMh.jpg

JpRD4aU.jpg

ogzId0C.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Now we finally reach a point of considerable hype and wonky cosmology.
Skoll & Hati are asleep as the Moon has been stolen and put into a box by the Einherjar, so as potentially to distract Odin's enemies while he prepares for Ragnarok.
yJjQzeF.jpg
hVVfnjP.jpg
C61lR6a.jpg
arW1tMY.jpg
When the Moon is released from its magical box, it returns to the sky in it's full form (also noticably growing bigger).
IqX8sTu.jpg
LC7z9vs.jpg
The Moon flies into the sky and returns to its normal size and causes an eclipse.

Atreus shoots at the eclipse with a special arrow, and Skoll chases after the Sun, turning day into night. This kicks off Ragnarok.

Skoll is much smaller than the Moon (despite the Moon in its trapped state being smaller than Atreus who was dwarved by Hati and Skoll).
i0axTpi.png
Hati bestows Kratos & Atreus with an artefact that will let them summon Skoll and Hati to change night to day or vice versa at celestial shrines.
OSDVfY9.jpg
An example of this in action (this also causes certain trees and plantlife to shift incredibly).

Whenever an Einjarhar is killed, they return to Valhalla to continue training and fighting.
K7v4Lfz.jpg

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
@Papa Nier @Astaro @Claudio Swiss Let's get a consensus; what's happening when Skoll & Hati chase the Sun & Moon?
Personally, I wouldn’t take it as a literal sun and moon. Each Pantheon has their own sun it seems, with the Greek Sun falling down from the sky in the same way as this one did.

3:54 for the Greek Sun being brought down and 5:41 for what it is: A temple / chariot that Helios rides on with his Steeds that serves as the sun for Greece

The Temple on which Kratos stood, was the sun chariot of Helios. The very chariot that the Fire Steeds pulled across the sky every day, allowing the brilliance of Helios to shine down upon all mankind.

The Essence of Hyperion channels the powers of a portal in order to dash. Here is what it looks like in-game.
6KW0cPy.gif

Here is how Zeus’s dash is portrayed in God of War 2.

Zeus’s version doesn’t create a portal.
XGnMTwX.gif

In God of War 2 manual, Hermes can deliver dreams to every mortal as well as delivers every dead soul down to the Underworld.
6cxp4GZ_d.webp

UYfP78z_d.webp

rzR0tXf_d.webp

This concept art shows how many souls are entering Underworld at once.
RRZO8jG_d.webp

In the novel, Kratos sees hundreds of people falling into the River Styx at once.
EBpR0BS_d.webp

In God of War 3 after Kratos killed Poseidon caused a massive population to die by the flood. It's assumed Hermes led them all into the Underworld right away.

In the comics, Hermes can run from a mountain range on the horizon all the way to the screen and fills the cups of wine before Poseidon is able to even finish a sentence.
HvfCQuzg.jpg

The Sisters of Fate monitor and micro-manage the threads of fate of the entire world (just referring to Greece) of every mortal via including animals and fish. Can control the destinies of even the land, as they altered the thread of a volcano to make it erupt
YxhgyXC_d.webp

b2OHbXK_d.webp

sKtCke9_d.webp
xbJ7ds7_d.webp

In the game, Clotho states that it is through her threads that all forms of life are born

A harpy can fly from the Underworld to halfway up Mount Olympus in only six seconds, and Mount Olympus is so tall that it would take a person three full days to fall from its top.

A Geryon via a technological monster uses technology instead of magic to attack with lightning blasts and move at lightning speed. Kratos can fight a bunch of these.
kxhVpRF.png

Zeus flying up to the sky in several seconds.

Zeus in his younger days in his giant form while creating the Blade of Olympus generates a lot of lightning and a massive tornado.

Zeus with the Blade of Olympus, creates a tornado the height of a mountain, generating winds that affect Titans several miles away and banishes the Titans to Tartarus with a gigantic blast.

In God of War Ascension is capable of fighting Lightning Sirens that can generate lightning.

Kratos can channel the lightning of Olympus through his blades in God of War Ascension.
DudQ4Qg.png

In the God of War novel Kratos while in the air uses Zeus's Fury via throws a lightning bolt at Ares's hand and then rushes to Pandora's Box before Ares understood what had happened.
eVklLQ9.png

In God of War Chains of Olympus Persephone reacts and blocks this beam of light from the Light of Dawn.
KDUVgbC.gif

Also looks like Kratos reacted to this light from Persephone's death, looks like Kratos raise his arm forward.
n0VTjqM.gif

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
More God of War: Ragnarok feats...
Heimdall can slow down time.
j937Esx.png
Th Emblem of the Nine Ralms empowers those capable of shifting realms.
B36rLWJ.jpg
In the crater in Vanaheim there is a frozen lightning bolt similar to the one created by Thor and Kratos in their clash.
1sOu7eh.jpg

Y5xhcTX.jpg

9FsrKCc.jpg
Something happened in this valley which caused it to explode.
UPUMR7N.png

SvY7vpY.png

Hm9k2Kg.png
One of the victims of this calamity which destroyed the valley had his spirit torn in two, and you have to fix him.
gT1Z3L5.jpg

3T1EI4Y.jpg

YyLs9qz.jpg
Gjallarhorn harmonizes the space between all Nine Realms if blown by a god, and if blown in Tyrs Temple it can connect all gateways at once.
7ZwomT6.jpg

RQzQQdw.jpg

fFD0dz1.jpg

WXpmgf0.jpg
The Stags of the Four Seasons are mystic creatures who live in the Realm Between Realms feeding on Yggdrasil.
ZfPb3JX.jpg

8SCEPGv.jpg
The Stags of the Four Seasons help keep Yggdrasil in check and prevent overgrowth (which could lead to the collapse of the Nine Realms if its branches get too heavy).
jhCB266.jpg

ifPXMRR.jpg

VyBlxbR.jpg

Y6LCKvp.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
More from my God of War: Ragnarok playthrough.
Sindri alters Atreus' Yggdrasil key with a single tap of his hammer, and Freyr notes that Lunda one made breast-plate armour made of dog barks.
SeP4toQ.png

0aAbxip.png

MiU3yKM.png

jxcXluQ.png
The Stags of the Four Seasons are theorized to have evolved from the primordial dwarves who embodied the winds.
ZXhxct1.jpg
The Mask contains (or is the key to) infinite knowledge.
8bnx501.jpg

eDqjPn9.jpg
The reason why Thor doesn't fly Atreus everywhere is because he doesn't want to.
fiaw8B3.png

h0PdKqf.png

tHVmwq2.jpg
In Niflheim, we see the bones of some massive creature.
As55LEP.jpg

ajYcTos.jpg
Sigrun is desribed as being the most lethal enemy faced by Kratos & Atreus in their prior adventures.
QRQQSaM.jpg
Slaghorn likes burrowing underground.
QXzskIo.jpg
Draupnir is desribed as being able to duplicate itself an infinite number of times.
R5MvwLp.jpg
The Rond of the Nine Realms can cause time to shift as it contains sap from Yggdrasil.
Em2ZEN6.jpg
Travellers are sent to explore the Nine Realms and beyond.
JUe2v7f.jpg
Yggdrasil is implied to hav a will of its own by Ratotoskr, who was on an ordinary squirrel.
nKSquPb.jpg
Kratos and Thors' clash created a considerable crater of ice.
mTXX2Qt.jpg
There is a Realm Tear where you fought Thor the first time
BTEbfHZ.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
We reach some more big end game stuff...
Surtr detects primordial fire in Kratos' blades.
cbYX2D5.png

3zQHW5J.png

The Spark of the World is where Musphelheim and Niflheim meet in Ginnungagap, where the first of the Realms where born.
h2s4JNS.png

6yrfIab.png

mbM50g3.png

s3sOXKk.jpg
The Spark of the World is a vast cosmic expanse where two primordial realms meet filled with flames and ie.
miqJMqf.jpg

oQMvkxY.jpg

NYCoZq6.jpg

rWpkuO1.jpg

ZQ6P9S6.jpg
Surtr merges with the flames of the Chaos Blades and becomes Ragnarok, a realm destroying Fire Giant.
bRE0dhl.jpg
Freyr is able to temporarily hold bak Ragnarok's blade, and Atreus is hit by the explosion which destroys Asgard and survives (abet he is knocked unconsious).

This explosion sends fragments of Asgard flying into the other realms (keep in mind that each realm exists in it's own dimension).
tqybPTc.jpg
kUXkcQq.jpg

And with that, I have finished the main story of Ragnarok! I still have some post-story sidequests to play, but that is the big story done.

Last edited:

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Now to look into the Realms some more (borrowing some from Niers post). If you walked in one Realm to the equivilant of Egypt, you could reach it, as each is it's own dimension.

Midgard is Skandinavia on Earth, while the other Realms are parallel dimensions that overlap the same physical space.

The different pantheons of different lands have different powers over their own segment of the world, and have power over their own 'universe' (though the universe as a whole hasn't been explored yet).

Each of the Nine realms has its own outer space.

So the Realm of Midgard is the size of Skandinavia, though each dimension expands beyond just the size of Skandinavia. The Asgardian Pantheon would at the very least scale to the area of Skandinavia in each at minimum. Make of this all what you will.

OrlandoSky

Paramount
If the GOW verse is just a macrocosm of pocket dimensions for different region pantheons would this be a downgrade for Greek God death feats like flooding the entire world and globally blocking out the sun? Since it didn't literally cover the whole world just Greeze's pocket dimension of the world? I saw Gamespot (of all channels) bring an interesting point and show clip in Ragnarok where an NPC actually references PS All-Stars...so...is that canon to the GOW cosmology too?

EDIT: here's the link

OrlandoSky

Paramount
So wait, if they're real stars that he shot down, is the Scandinavian dimension just the size of Scandinavia or is it much larger? Because at this point this is where I figured we would go by Final Fantasy/Mario rules where if the dimension in question has stars than it's Earth-Sun distance in size and not just country sized dimension with fake stars.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
So wait, if they're real stars that he shot down, is the Scandinavian dimension just the size of Scandinavia or is it much larger? Because at this point this is where I figured we would go by Final Fantasy/Mario rules where if the dimension in question has stars than it's Earth-Sun distance in size and not just country sized dimension with fake stars.
They say that you can reach the equivilant of Egypt if you keep walking, so said dimensions are bigger than Scandinavia, though they seem to refer to the realms as being the parts which overlap Scandinavia as being the Nine Realms.

The issue is that as it's based off mythology and a lot of old time cosmologies were a lot different to modern times (sometimes much smaller, though in some cases they were still vast if not outright infinite).

Basically (from what I'm reading of this), each Realm is the size of Scandinavia (at minimum), but the dimensions these Realms exist in are bigger.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
A few more notes from Ragnarok...
The destruction of Asgard shakes the World Tree to its very roots, shaking free a great number of realm seeds.
QslL9zn.jpg

rKb1F89.jpg

rXoeSJd.jpg
Several Einjarhar (as well as the true Tyr) are able to survive the destruction of Asgard, and land with the fragments in the surviving eight realms.

Back