- God of War: Betrayal
- God of War 2
- God of War 3
- God of War 4 or God of War (2018)
- God of War Ragnarok

Calcs

Rev97

Illustrious
Depends on how far you take things like Yggdrasil holding all of creation or time and space within it

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Playing God of War Ragnarok now. As I play through I will post all I can, though obviously beware of spoilers, and please don't spoil stuff for me. If I am mistaken about something I will correct myself on it later.
Freya screaming triggered a massive avalanche/landslide/explosion, and she was unable to pass through the ward made by Kratos and Atrius. Atrius with his god/giant powers awakening turns into a giant bear. Atrius later seemingly fixes the ward, but Odin and Thor get in anyway, Odin offers peace (though he's obviously up to something), and Thor and Kratos fight. Thor notes that Kratos is holding back for the fight, and only at the end does Kratos knock one of Thors teeth out, and Thor leaves, considering his vengence for killing his sons complete.

Fimbulwinter is messing with the Nine Realms, and manifests differently in each of the Realms (this is the reason some of the magics of Kratos and Atrius have been lost).
nGp0plA.jpg

nrAE3l2.jpg
Fimbulwinter affects all of the realms, and the gateway between worlds at Tyr's Temple no longer works.
xyfWWSi.jpg

U8uzZfY.jpg

The first fight between Kratos and Thor create what looks like some kind of fissure in reality (or maybe a root of Yggdrasil).
VL0LP8w.jpg
The full force of Thor's attacks are as heavy as any Kratos has ever felt, and Mjolnir only compounds his power.
Ulj5x4Y.jpg
Skoll & Hati are said to have the power to chase night into day and day into night by chasing the Sun and the Moon around.
Hdu9aU9.jpg
Sindri and Brok have a home in the Realm Between Realms, safe from both Fimbulwinter and the eye(s) of Odin. It's built into Yggdrasil, and is surrounded by "shimmering grey voids."
31k2KRe.jpg

pt4659T.jpg

tDwYfvr.jpg

2paXTH7.jpg
Odin has been tampering with the natural order in the Nine Realms.
Q5JagzH.jpg
Fimbulwinter strikes in different ways in different realms; in Midgard it manifests as a freezing Winter, while in Svartalfheim it manifests in the form of geysers, gas & earthquakes.
0YjPbdj.jpg

WhO3r30.jpg

D0MLya5.jpg
The Lyngbakr is an enormous creature that Mimir trapped back in the days when he still worked with Odin, but regretted this and wanted to set it free.
usgjYkD.jpg
Going by the in-game compass, the Lyngbakr is around 320m long (the quest marker is to it's eye, so actually a bit longer).
4HzCE3N.jpg

zqBbtDL.jpg

Eos statement of her brother Helios: "Helios holds within him the power of the sun, a power so great, it can destroy the world."

The world of Greece was implied to be flat, like a disc.
unknown.png

In this interview, the game devs confirm that the different worlds of Pantheons all exist on the same planet. Kratos got on a boat and went north to Midgard. This is either a retcon or the devs are just inconsistent.

In God of War Ascension, the Hammer of Atlas states to have the weight of the world behind this hammer.
maxresdefault.jpg

Atlas says: "The war between the Titans and the Olympians forged the landscape of the mortal world".

Eos states: "Without Helios, the life-giving light of the world cannot be sustained. If you do not find him, only darkness and death awaits all of us."

God of War 1 describes the Underworld as "a scarlet chasm of immeasurable magnitude", and the interview with Cecil Kim, the Concept Artist of God of War III, seems to imply the Underworld is infinite.
WWyd1ku.png

Uranus has stars coming out of his body while fighting against Ceto, apparently creating the universe.
PEmpuMEfrrAwI9TQIU0jAv-Q2YyxKG-WaWjCfzGOh1wiM1_-UKXqk76SaSwOYLf_tsmIJRitNwtK=s0
a4oPQ5QSBuPTBV0VXJnt10DsMhHKIJzSeqVD9M8NJvclUg9ihszl_cXtRuw6T-OB6eHGNjuXjMrW=s0
f9Kia6UhOtCr2BYq4Lkn57ZuR0fYbtUmwElzeqo414jEmeOhX1-X9Y_ciB8ImyxY_yfVKC_yvvMm=s0

His son Cronos overthrew Uranus.
MnP818L.png

5p42K7V.png

GNsMYd8.png

The fight between Cronos and Uranus was like the combination of the Primordial War and the Titan War, which apparently would be cosmic in scale.
uFQCfc9.png
SI9fu3F.png
1FRS7pT.png

In God of War Ascension, the Hyperion Spear appears to be forged in the Sun's core and bears the weight of the cosmos
no6bwCl.png
rZRoqxQ.png
SeIZfWv.png

The Pandora's Box is stated to be the most powerful weapon on Earth or Olympus.
unknown.png

Ariel Lawrence, the writer of God of War 2, stated that Cronos's birth led to the very birth of time.
ByFED0X.png

The Titan War lasted for hundreds of years.
unknown.png

Titans consider time meaningless.
3SmT6UQ.png

Helios is stated to banish Nyx from the night sky.

A dimension that Nyx inhabits an eternal night with a moon.
1OXSGTK.png

Warriors of Zeus can temporarily move at the speed of light with a dash move.
RPGeRaC.png

Kratos >>> Warriors of Zeus. The Warriors of Zeus's dash move is inspired by Zeus's dash move.
xH0i1FM.png

Hermes can dodge Helios's solar flare and sun beams.
oFqLaYx.png

Hercules reacts to Helio's solar flare and sun beams.
DMyRkcg.mp4

Last edited:

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Yggdrasil connects all of the Nine Realms together, and supports all of creation. It transcends time and space, and birth, death and rebirth are interwoven into the world from its life energy (from the 4th God of War).
The Tree of Life is bound to the fate of the world, just as we are bound to it. The tree nourishes our soils. The dew from its leaves feeds our valleys and rivers. The tree's very existence supports all of creation among its boughs, its life energy interwoven into the tapestry of life... birth, growth, death, and rebirth... every strand, transcending time, transcending space. Everything comes back to the tree.

Thor’s first fight with the World Serpent could be felt across all the realms.

Thor and the World Serpent clash shook the World Tree so much that it splinters.

Yggdrasil is so large that it exists in all Nine Realms at once, the realms are merely constructs within its branches.
9Ig1Aog_d.webp

The Realm Between Realms is the very center of the spiritual cosmos. This is the official artwork for Yggdrasil.

Kratos opens the Mystic Gateway that leads directly into the Realm Between Realms. The narrator states that Yggdrasil’s branches stretch out infinitely.
FhnoSWf_d.webp

Interview with Cory Barlog regarding Kratos, Cory Barlog states the God of War mythology could be better summarized as being similar to the Hubble telescope image, except you’d have to wrap it up around the Earth.

Matt Sophos, the head writer of the Norse game, states that all creation myths and their interpretations exist at the same time, in their own history separate from the linear chronology of real history.

Cory Barlog states all the Pantheons when referring to the universe, are referring to their domain or what they have dominion over.

God of War promotional page confirms that Kratos entering the Norse pantheon was him entering a new realm, this also implies that the Greek Pantheon was also considered a separate realm.
0dM2Uoe_d.webp

Santa Monica clarifies that geographical regions and realms are not the same. When Freya or some other god states Kratos is not “from this realm” is not referring to Kratos being from another country but from another world.
u0Px4Dd_d.webp

Mimir states if Odin could, he would control all the realms within every world and every land. Mimir is Puck or Robin Goodfellow most likely from Celtic Mythology.

This triptych has four symbols circled in red in each corner to represent the specific Pantheons that exist in the God of War world, aside from the Norse Mythology. From top to bottom, we have the Eye of Horus, which symbolizes Egyptian Mythology, the Omega, which symbolizes Greek Mythology, the Yin-Yang balance, symbolizing Shinto Mythology, and the Triskelion, which symbolizes Celtic Mythology which Mimir is most likely from. The depiction in the middle is Tyr holding the Unity Stone while he is on one of the branches of the World Tree Yggdrasil. Can see stars and galaxies.
latest
nCLKCiz_d.webp

Mimir states the Unity Stone is what enables Tyr to travel between the nine realms and even other lands.

Last edited:
Mimir explains in the beginning, there were no realms, only Primordial Forms, fire, and ice, all inhabiting a cosmic void named Ginnungagap, from which Ymir the first giant sprung forth. Ymir’s body gave rise to everything that came after, all gods, man and beasts came from his flesh.

After Ymir came, the Fire Giant Surtr followed him. Born within Mullspheim, the realm of fire, Surtr was the one who created the Sun and all the stars, bringing heat to the primordial cosmos from which all nine realms are built upon.

The Bifrost is used to traverse between the realms, explores their fractured reality.
image0.jpg

Matt Sophos further clarifies the nature of the realms, he repeats that all of the realms are separate dimensions existing within the same physical space.

There are these black rifts in space which are officially called “Realm Tears”. There are twenty-one in the game, and Kratos is forced to close the rifts by himself. The official guidebook alongside Atreus’s journal, reveals that these rifts are actually holes in the fabric of reality.
VRoHS3O_d.webp

w1gLwOq_d.webp

it is stated that each of the nine realms' time flows differently from each other.
IMG_1390.png

Kratos with the Unity Stone is able to traverse Yggdrasil. When you jump off one of these branches while wielding the Unity Stone’s power, you spend a minute falling into the void, passing several constellations and distant dots, and when the fall finally reaches its end you step onto what is merely another branch of Yggdrasil.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
My playthrough continues, and thus more to share with you all (of course, be aware of spoilers)...
I wasn't able to properly get screenshots of this, but due to a forge accident, Brok died in the past, and Sindri went to Hel to get him back, swimming through legions of dark spirits. However, he was only able to bring back three quarters of Broks soul.

The Einherjar can use the skies to travel between realms, and cause some considerable explosions when landing.

VJmPaSx.png

nzOx1Hb.png
Ratatoskr is the squirrel who tends the branches of Yggdrasil, and has several spectral aspects.
Gkap9FK.jpg

hq7Knbi.jpg

VOV5xWw.jpg

sDu7Tyk.jpg

qN2HROG.jpg

2ESBAdX.jpg
nDFz99l.jpg
2jz4yqW.jpg
Niflheim is an ancient realm.
TAcgWIo.jpg
Tyr has been to the Western Lands, where he picked up the idea for a dream charm to absorb nightmares (this is quite similar to a dream catcher, which implies that Tyr has been to America, as the ancient vikings did).
ry25cMs.jpg
Freyr used his divine powers to settle peace between the light elves and the dark elves.
2Bk306U.jpg

Byco7Zp.jpg
Light elves and dark elves were once the same race, before they discovered the power of light.
wiVelO1.jpg

yFjJ14g.jpg

FT3yCVx.jpg
Fimbulwinter is affecting the Lake of Souls, causing it to become volatile.
TKl0cON.jpg

5KsITnL.jpg

hL59Yi7.jpg
The Lake of Souls is a place of birth and rebirth, where souls gather waiting to be born. After the creation of the Nine Realms, souls began to gather in this lake. When the elves discovered the power of the Lake of Souls, they built the temple to harness it's power, though many grew addicted to the power, and thus the light elves where born.
tKr3CSK.jpg
U5JfhdG.jpg

zFNddiW.jpg

t34oSgn.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
More feats and lore from Ragnarok (beware spoilers once again)...
The light elves used Alfheims light to make the temple stronger.
jApm3dU.jpg
Freyr had the power to heal the land and calm its peoples.
E2wVijg.jpg
Hafgufa's are colossal jellyfish-like creatures found in Alfheim. Sometimes the creatures get stuck underground because of the dark elves hive matter trapping them.
dl7e5Ys.jpg

UC7gB5S.jpg
Hafgufa's burrow underground, which allowed them to become trapped by the dark elves hive matter.
9Susczk.jpg
The hafgufa is causing the sandstorms by singing the Song of Sands.
5jdD65b.jpg

0KGWTMu.png

pAlwxkK.png
When the hafgufa is freed, it flies into the sky easily (which would show that the hive matter is harder to break through than sand and rock for these creatures), and the sandstorm aboveground ceases, as the creature is content.
aTMOClv.jpg
There is another sandstorm, which would mean another hafgufa is trapped underground (although I can't access that area yet, so I'll get back to you on that one).
9V5A9AL.jpg
The poem "Celestial Construct" refers to a new dimension. Make of it what you will.
lqJLGIN.jpg
You fight the exact same draugr in at least two seperate realms.
tuvnPWA.png

ckuZpqV.png

C8ElOAT.png

0jIfYDf.png
After defeating this draugr, you get Dust of Realms, which are formless ashes found within realm tears, unnatural branches between realms.
wRcAiNB.jpg
Nidhogg and her brood help keep the ecosystem of yggdrasil in check along with Ratatoskr; Ratatoskr tends to the branches above, while Nidhogg chews at the roots below to prevent overgrowth (also the implications that a tree that exists outside time and space which spans multiple planes of existence can have overgrowth).
Wy2J4qC.jpg

xsqZaKp.jpg

PdDpxHF.jpg

F1qUpTc.jpg

srloo9H.jpg

YsiAk72.jpg

Last edited:

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
From the Art of God of War (the fourth one). Yggdrasil is the tree which grows out of the Lake of Nine and connects the different worlds, and can be used to travel between realms. The artists had to give a physical form to these non-physical objects (regarding both Yggdrasil and the Lake of Nine).
XDAd0Z6.jpg
Mimir is a god of immense wisdom. Being too valuable to kill, Odin kept him prisoner and enchanted his mind and eyesso that he can never lie (which means all the stories he tells are the truth).
fZuB4UM.jpg
The temple of light in Alfheim represents birth and rebirth.
oNMjsJd.jpg
An idea for the Temple of Light in Alfheim was that it was where the souls of beings waiting to be born across the Nine Realms waited, and because of the Dark Elf invasion of the temple there were many more stillbirths during that time.
XbwSix8.jpg
Skoll and Hati are the two wolves who chase the Sun and moon around endlessly (this will be important for Ragnarok).
zcVkEVH.jpg
The gods of the Norse Pantheon take on smaller aspects than appeared in previous games, manifesting as shadows that run past the players in the woods and other manifestations (as well as of course their main forms that you fight).
m1DMoRU.jpg
Musphelheim is a volcanic world with giant volcanos, and is the place where Surtr creates his sword, which is said will burn the world during Ragnarok.
P6NcTQf.jpg

He doesn't want to remember Sackboy kicking his ass :skully
Sackboy is no slouch, in kart racing, Sackboy defeated the Trash Monster who exploded. His explosion destroyed the planet they were on and Sackboy survived unscathed. In the second game upon defeating the Negativitron created planet-sized creations. The LittleBigPlanet games can make your own worlds and levels in Create Mode. :hestonpls

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
@Stocking Anarchy So, with all these feats and statements, would Kratos be higher than continent level?
We really getting into this discussion? Oh dear... Remember you started this. :smugnon

The biggest one I know would be Thor and Jormungar fighting shaking the Nine Realms and splintering Yggdrasil (each realm being in its own plane of existence with its own timeflow).
Kratos and Thor looked liked they caused a similar fracture in their first fight.
Baldur hurts Jormungar at the end of GoW4, and Kratos kills Baldur.

The issue I think is the size of each realm, as GoW seems to have a lot of basis of ancient world models (like the Greek World being flat). Even with that said though, there are at least two statements of the cosmos being infinite (infinite sky from one of the novels and the developer comment of there being infinite distance visible in the underworld). Even in several models of ancient cosmologies where the Earth is geocentric or flat, the concept of infinite space can still exist (and this is something I myself have lots of experience with, having done TES lore for years).

For the Greek games, it would depend if Kratos scales to any gods who control/create the infinite sky.

Even ignoring universal/multiversal Kratos arguments for now, going by the huge size of the Greek world, it should likely be more (though the below calc doesn't take into account that Kratos did stop to get water a few times).

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
@Stocking Anarchy That thing made at the aftermath of Kratos and Thor’s first fight is actually a frozen lightning strike from a combination of Mjolnir and Leviathan Axe (Ice) when they clashed

There is a Realm Tear in that location also present that you could argue was made as a result of Kratos and Thor’s battle

Back