God of War Discussion, Lore, Feats, & Analysis Thread

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Some real shit if you already played Ragnarök lol

Thor squared up with Faye (Krato's baby momma) and got his fat ass handed to him... cause how could she have survived getting smacked with that hammer? :skully

I think I'm more shook about Faye than I am with Kratos at this point :mjlol

You also see how and why that OP ass axe could 1v1 that slump of a hammer lol

Gordo

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Friendly reminder

F69-ADDDF-8307-401-B-86-CB-8-A9-AB42-B154-D.png

Zeus > Baldur

yet there are people who argue otherwise

• Wow
Reactions: Ral

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Baldur would still win due to this immortality though and being more than comparable enough in stats

Gordo

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Baldur has no way of putting down Ghost Zeus if he (manages) to get that far in the fight though

he can still be incapacitated

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Why not? As shown in Ragnarok, Aesir like Thor regularly beat the shit out of Einherjar in bar fights, so touching a ghost is nothing special

And when has Zeus put anyone in a pocket dimension?

• Skully
Reactions: Ral

Gordo

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Einherjar are undead people, not disembodied spirits like Zeus was

the bar fight started because one got hit in the head with a mug

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Friendly reminder

F69-ADDDF-8307-401-B-86-CB-8-A9-AB42-B154-D.png

Zeus > Baldur

yet there are people who argue otherwise
Yeah it's almost like there are conflicting statements on this particular issue that cast doubt on that idea.

Like how the director of the game says Old Kratos (who Baldur was a match for) EASILY beats Young Kratos (who beat Zeus twice).
Or the novelization straight up stating Baldur is the strongest opponent he's ever fought.

Ragnarok doesn't exactly help here since in that, Kratos notes directly that Thor's blows (not even counting the hammer) are as heavy as any he's ever felt.

At the very least, I think it's safe to say top tier Aesir are PHYSICALLY superior to the Olympians, even if the Olympians have more going for them in terms of hax.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Einherjar are undead people, not disembodied spirits like Zeus was

the bar fight started because one got hit in the head with a mug
Their the souls of those slain in battle and claimed by the Valkyries to be taken to Asgard, not their bodies. As Mimir explains the various afterlives.

Zeus Ghost was hardly tangible either, physically strangling Kratos and Kratos catching a fist from him with his bare hands

Gordo

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Yeah it's almost like there are conflicting statements on this particular issue that cast doubt on that idea.

Like how the director of the game says Old Kratos (who Baldur was a match for) EASILY beats Young Kratos (who beat Zeus twice).
Or the novelization straight up stating Baldur is the strongest opponent he's ever fought.

Ragnarok doesn't exactly help here since in that, Kratos notes directly that Thor's blows (not even counting the hammer) are as heavy as any he's ever felt.

At the very least, I think it's safe to say top tier Aesir are PHYSICALLY superior to the Olympians, even if the Olympians have more going for them in terms of hax.
Kratos beat Zeus because of better divine equipment and the Hope power-up that would stomp everyone else in the setting (including the Aesir)

The writers probably just changed their mind about Old Kratos being stronger. Ragnorak seems to imply it too

Their the souls of those slain in battle and claimed by the Valkyries to be taken to Asgard, not their bodies. As Mimir explains the various afterlives.

Zeus Ghost was hardly tangible either, physically strangling Kratos and Kratos catching a fist from him with his bare hands
But they don’t behave like ghosts. They might be dead, but they have some tangible body

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Kratos beat Zeus because of better divine equipment and the Hope power-up that would stomp everyone else in the setting (including the Aesir)

The writers probably just changed their mind about Old Kratos being stronger. Ragnorak seems to imply it too

But they don’t behave like ghosts. They might be dead, but they have some tangible body

So does Ghost Zeus. And you got Kratos even at his weakest, literally having given up all his powers and magic to be with Caliope through a deception by Persephone in Chains of Olympus, murdering souls in Elysium with his bare hands to regain his status as the Ghost of Sparta

Kratos isn’t weaker in that video, he just can’t perform any of the magic spells he could perform that weren’t from equipment (I.e. Poseidon’s Rage, Atlas Quake)

The video specifically says magic from the Greek World is what Kratos can no longer use from destroying everything in it, not power. Magic that’s easily replaced with the magic he picks up in Yggdrasil

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member

They're specifically talking about magic and abilities he may have had tied to it. Which was lost when his homeland was destroyed (because magic is bound to the land according to Freya), they aren't talking about him being outright weaker. It's the same shit as them losing the Runic magic they got in the last game because Fimbulwintr is screwing with everything.

Again the same game also has kratos himself note that Thor's blows are as heavy as any he's ever felt, even WITHOUT the hammer. The game is clearly pushing the Aesir as at least physically superior to the Olympians, with the Olympians perhaps having more tricks up their sleeves.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Cory was also pretty clear in Kratos’ current problems. Norse Kratos is full-on god now as opposed to the demigod he was in Greece and stronger to boot. But he was also rusty in his abilities from centuries of hiding his godhood and fighting and limiting himself to a normal human to do so

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
@Adamant soul Model of 2018 Kratos without the beard and a direct comparison to his Greek self

jats8obnyy711.png

Beard makes him look older than he actually physically is. He hasn’t changed much.

Unless you mean Old Kratos from the countless years he’s lived between GoWIII and the Norse Saga

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
@Adamant soul Model of 2018 Kratos with a direct comparison to his Greek self

jats8obnyy711.png

Beard makes him look older than he actually physically is. He hasn’t changed much.

Unless you mean Old Kratos from the countless years he’s lived between GoWIII and the Norse Saga
Nah just "Old Kratos" is how he's referred to most of the time, I think even Cory himself has called him that at one point. I think largely owed to baldur mockingly calling him "slow and old" in 2018.

Obviously it's not like he's physically degraded with age or anything, it's just what people call that version of the character.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
I haven't played the original GOW trilogy, but I remember hearing Kratos had a boost to fight Zeus (Power of Hope). So IMO it should be something like Power of Hope Kratos >/= Zeus > Old Kratos > Baldur > Young Kratos.

With that said, more from my God of War Ragnarok playthrough, with some big stuff to say to y'all...
Atreus ends up in the Utangard and sees unhappy memories of his past.
eSXK5Rf.jpg
Atreus is stabbed by a memory of himself from the past.
UaT2sz6.jpg
The trees of the Ironwood store memories of the past and the future.
mXfp53t.jpg

rOQbk1I.jpg

AC9C0ek.jpg
Odin destroyed Ymir to make the world long ago, but one part of Ymir remains; his dreams, which are the Utangard (the Utanard is where the giants true prophecies are kept, and how Atreus ended up in Ironwood).
dxtFuE2.png

fBsk6hG.png

dmNcWMH.png

CJLkSQh.png

N9KW6BK.png

Gxa5CSa.png
Atreus has a soul in his knife (which Angrboda is able to detect).
Adl8sly.jpg
Angrboda's wards keep out wild animals, but would not work against the Aesir.
Zz5Vp1T.jpg
Angrboda's grandmother Grylaahas a cauldron which she uses to cook and consume the souls of animals.
eS1KLEP.jpg
Angrboda tells Atreus to return home by saying home, but he returns to his home in Midgard instead of the Realm Between Realms.
WdMwBWG.jpg
Though less than a day has passed for Atreus, two days have passed for Kratos. Atreus and Angrboda can also return giant souls (which are stored in marbles) to creatures which have had their souls removed. Atreus returns a soul to a giant snake, which Angrboda later says has started to grow (this snake will likely become Jormungandr).
More below...

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Kratos killed regular Zeus fair and square and you could tell in several QTE that he could overpower Zeus

Zeus resurrected from the corruption of Fear (the spectral ghost thing) to overpower Kratos which required Kratos to unlock Hope to counter it but as it stands:

End of GOWIII Kratos Pre-Hope > Zeus from winning at least two times throughout the boss fight

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Now in defense of Zeus, while Baldur did give a stronger Kratos hell, said Kratos is rusty from years of not using his true power and effectively being out of shape.

Kratos still beat Baldur several times over throughout the fight had it not been for his invulnerability

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Continued from above, with some more very noteworthy stuff indeed...
Thanks to Fimbulwinter, a lot of the curses are weakening, but Odin's curse on Freya binding her to Midgard still remains strong. However, thanks to Kratos and Atreus discovering realm travel, Freya has found a way around this; she turns into a bird (although this form is very limited). They travel to Vanehaim together to lift the curse.

Forest Ancients are formed from the magic of the Vanir, and unlike proper Ancients, form and fall apart in the span of a single season.
vvPsIyh.jpg
The Shatter Star Shield bathed in the light of a thousand dying stars and is a force of the cosmos. This interestingly enough, let's us know some more on the nature of the stars (there are dying stars, though if these stars are giant balls of plasma & gas or something else entirely is still unclear).
jGQ2ipq.jpg
The Glaive of Dodher is said to be able to cut through any surface and is synonymous with death.
NUn7Hxe.jpg
Nidhogg can open tears in the fabric of space, which she does whenever she needs to appear somewhere the roots of Yggdrasil are under threat (Odin uses this to his advantage to protect things, such as the curse binding Freya).
is0PcEq.jpg
CO6B0o0.jpg
Nidhogg draws in energy into her stomach to attack.

R2D9MrR.jpg
Nidhogg can open realm tears at will to attack through them.

epP5IIs.jpg
Wisps are powerful manifestations of runic magic. They are impervious to physical attacks unless hit with a special kind of magic.
0KuDMOQ.jpg

7PR0F3y.jpg
Freya used to be able to remember the faces of all of her worshippers.
YcOnm5a.jpg
This at absolute minimum would include thousands of people.
l7c7hAE.jpg
Soul Eaters are soulless Ancients who eat souls.
SFpO5NV.jpg
The Seal of the Falling Star is the seal of a great warrior who was renowned for dropping down on his enemies with the might of a falling star. This also helps to further reveal the nature of the stars (there are indeed falling stars & meteors).
kh5B19q.jpg
Like Sindri and Brok, Linda can also (somehow) travel between realms.
X2nA0Nu.jpg
It wasn't just through diplomacy that Freyr stopped the fighting between the light elves and the dark elves; his very presence as a god also helped keep a (fragile) peace.
Y03TiFe.jpg
Hati chases the Moon, turning night into day.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
A few more notes...
A wight is 'furious sentient magic.'
tM25bxs.jpg
Odin can use a storm of ravens to teleport himself and others to different locations, including between realms.

Huginn and Muninn can turn into Odin's tattoos.
DSTDy8I.jpg
Gjallarhorn allows for travel between any number of realms simultaneously, not just connecting two realms like all other known methods.
0bhcSPH.jpg

Back