• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

Kuwabara Kazuma (Genkai's Tournament Arc) Runs a Baki (Anime) Gauntlet

Edward Nygma

Illustrious
This isn't a comprehensive list, nor is it in exact order. I just kinda wanted to break the fighters up into blocks.

Brawlers
Shiba
Hanayama
Jack Hammer
Oliva

Athletes

Igari
Toba
Yuri
Kureha
Alai Jr.
Gallen
Iron Michael

Soldiers, Pros, and Killers
Hector
Spec
Gaia
Mr. 2

Masters
Alai Sr. (Prime)
Koushou
Ryuuoku
Katsumi
Motobe
Gouki
Doppo
The Kaiou: Retsu, Kaku, Dorian, Jyaku, Ryuu

Grapplers
Baki
Yujiro

Last edited:

ChaosTheory123

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member

Know nothing about Baki. Kuwabara is some sort of supersonic and multi block (Byakko's attack is substantially beyond pulverization, molecular destruction is his game with his shout projectile) at this time in the manga though.

Edward Nygma

Illustrious
Know nothing about Baki. Kuwabara is some sort of supersonic and multi block (Byakko's attack is substantially beyond pulverization, molecular destruction is his game with his shout projectile) at this time in the manga though.
Breh. Why can't YYH be normal and just have arcs? It's gotta have arcs inside of "sagas" (a word too short to mock with RanDomIzEd capitalization, tragically).

I thought Yusuke's life up till he trained with Genkai constituted the entire Spirit Detective Arc. That's why I chose it; because it immediately precedes Baykko and his MCB bullshit. But, apparently, Spirit Detective Arc is not a thing. The Spirit Detective Saga runs from Chapter 1 until the team's first encounter with the Toguro bros. This saga consists of 5 arcs: Yusuke's Ordeal, Artifacts of Darkness, Genkai's Tournament, The Beasts of Maze Castle, and Rescue Yukina.

Tl;dr -- This should actually be Kuwabara in the Genkai's Tournament Arc. Not him at the end of the whole Spirit Detective Saga.

ChaosTheory123

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member
That's harder to peg, the floor and ceiling for Genkai's Tournament is anywhere from wall level to the same multi block from the Saint Beasts as Rando is compared with Suzaku in the same breath, suggesting he's at least comparable to or more powerful than the other 3 Saint Beasts.

Let's just place it all on the table though.

Yusuke is powerful enough to draw blood from Rando with even the last dregs of his power and does effectively endure Rando's attacks (the whole spinning web bullshit and the last punch I already linked)

Rando also notes his strikes are weak compared to before during his time as Shorin/Shaolin when Yusuke briefly got a second wind due to rage as Rando barely felt those initial strikes. Not because Rando's power grew (which it did), but rather Yusuke's fatigue was getting to him now. It implies a fresher Yusuke would have probably performed at a level consistently around his last punch on Rando at least.

Thus for Kuwabara?

Kuwabara was giving Shorin/Shaolin trouble. (I'm not sure why Kuwabara references the batting cages, maybe he just hasn't noticed his reactions and perception of movement has increased like he does by Rescue Yukina?) and its not like Yusuke reduced Shorin/Shaolin to viscera, his punches just hurt more.

Less roundabout in the anime, where they have Rando just wholesale vaporize a pond for no reason other than to flex that he can.

Edward Nygma

Illustrious
is compared with Suzaku in the same breath
Chaos-kun, are you wanking your boi Yusuke in public? :maybe

None of those panels compare Suzaku to Rando. The two keep getting brought up in the same sentence because people are talking about Yusuke's performance thus far in the series; those are literally 2/3 of the demons Yusuke has actually killed at this point.

One of the dudes who evokes Suzaku and Rando even mentions that part of what's impressive is that the killings were done by humans. It isn't just the power of those two demons.

The most praise Rando is given is to be called a "demon of considerable stature". Even being generous and rewording "stature" to "power" (which might not even be legit, they could be talking about their standing in demon culture. Suzaku was the leader of the Saint Beast, and Rando's massacre of psychics was infamous), there's still no comparison going on.

A lion and an elephant are of "considerable power/stature", and both are worth bragging about if you just killed one barehanded. That doesn't make them comparable.

ChaosTheory123

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member
Chaos-kun, are you wanking your boi Yusuke in public? :maybe

None of those panels compare Suzaku to Rando. The two keep getting brought up in the same sentence because people are talking about Yusuke's performance thus far in the series; those are literally 2/3 of the demons Yusuke has actually killed at this point.

One of the dudes who evokes Suzaku and Rando even mentions that part of what's impressive is that the killings were done by humans. It isn't just the power of those two demons.

The most praise Rando is given is to be called a "demon of considerable stature". Even being generous and rewording "stature" to "power" (which might not even be legit, they could be talking about their standing in demon culture. Suzaku was the leader of the Saint Beast, and Rando's massacre of psychics was infamous), there's still no comparison going on.

A lion and an elephant are of "considerable power/stature", and both are worth bragging about if you just killed one barehanded. That doesn't make them comparable.
You’re missing the forest for the trees here dude

The first scan defines the context of their mention, that by defeating the powerful Yusuke becomes a target for those seeking glory for their name. Both Rando and Suzaku are contextually that former powerful.

The Saint Beasts as a collective are infamous, yet the pair of demons that stood out in terms of overall notoriety were Suzaku and Rando. Hell, the fact the demons trying to gain entry to the Dark Tournament considered Rando’s reputation and subsequent defeat at his hands in the same breath as Suzaku’s as making it for them speaks about the other Saint Beasts being Suzaku’s hanger ons if anything.

Genbu was explicitly a hanger on, little more than the door man :maybe

Same guy almost disemboweled Kurama, who was at worst comparable to Kuwabara.

If Rando’s a scrub compared to the guy the rest of the collective scoffed at as a doorman, there’s no reason to bring him up as something to prop up Yusuke’s reputation in terms of his power.

You’re letting conservation of energy and lack of collateral color your impression, which is kind of ironic given your push for the MCU at all levels including the street :maybe

Last edited:

Edward Nygma

Illustrious
Both Rando and Suzaku are contextually that former powerful.
Powerful enough that it's noteworthy when they get fucking ganked by a mouthy 15-year old human?

Phew, lad. Scaling to Suzaku isn't half enough for that kind of hype. Best scale him straight to UI Goku.

Bro. For serious. Yusuke hadn't even gone through any training when he beat Rando. You wanna talk context? How strong do you really have to be before it's noteworthy that you got your shit rekt by a rookie, human child?

If Rando’s a scrub compared to the guy the rest of the collective scoffed at as a doorman, there’s no reason to bring him up as something to prop up Yusuke’s reputation in terms of his power.
Yes, there is. And it's so obvious (and also I mentioned it), I can't help but feel you are ignoring it on purpose.

Those comments are from the end of the first saga. Rando and Suzuaku are two of the ONLY names that Yusuke's various hypemen can drop. What, they gonna shake in their boots cause he killed fucking Gouki? If they had mentioned Gouki in that same sentence, would you be over here arguing for MCB+ Artifacts of Darkness arc?

It's a fucking callback to the antags of previous arcs. One that makes no assertion as to how the two compare powerwise.

You’re letting conservation of energy and lack of collateral color your impression,
I'm not making any judgments on how powerful the Genkai Tournament Arc can be. I'm only saying that you cannot support scaling Rando to Suzaku with those scans. There's is no direct comparison of their power. Only a clear implication that they are powerful enough that most people didn't think they'd get killed by a 15-year old.

the demons trying to gain entry to the Dark Tournament considered Rando’s reputation and subsequent defeat at his hands in the same breath as Suzaku’s as making it for them speaks about the other Saint Beasts being Suzaku’s hanger ons if anything.
Anybody who thought Suzaku or Rando was worth mentioning at all was too stupid to ever make it into the DT in the first place.

Like...they would both get fucking unmade by 95% of that tournament's roster (feel free to BTFO me on this, but I remember a mad gap between the end of the SD saga and the start of the DT saga). Anybody who considered those wins a flex for Yusuke at that point was just wrong. DT prelims were full of plebes. Shocker that they were impressed by anybody with clout.

Edward Nygma

Illustrious
Wait...I just said something important.

YUSUKE HADN'T TRAINED.

So...6 months at Genkai's only to fare marginally better than his last fight with someone of the same power level?

As a Genkai simp (puts a new G in GILF), I don't know that I care for what you are implying about the effectiveness of her training.
ufdup.png

ChaosTheory123

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member
Powerful enough that it's noteworthy when they get fucking ganked by a mouthy 15-year old human?
You're seriously bringing up age? In a shonen, or just power fantasy fiction in general?

Size, age, length of time? All meaningless as actual realistic progression is never represented. Seeing real results takes weeks to months to get the ball rolling, let alone the notion of getting stronger in the span of minutes because of some bullshit mental growth.
Phew, lad. Scaling to Suzaku isn't half enough for that kind of hype. Best scale him straight to UI Goku.
You're better than a strawman, or at least I'd like to think so dude :maybe
Bro. For serious. Yusuke hadn't even gone through any training when he beat Rando. You wanna talk context? How strong do you really have to be before it's noteworthy that you got your shit rekt by a rookie, human child?
So what? Its shonen. His biggest power boost was dying and suddenly multiplying his power by a mind numbing order of magnitude.

The entirety of the manga occurs over the course of a couple years. His training with Genkai was 2 weeks. She just reshaped his already considerable foundation from his original resurrection that he got random power boosts through power of friendship.
Yes, there is. And it's so obvious (and also I mentioned it), I can't help but feel you are ignoring it on purpose.

Those comments are from the end of the first saga. Rando and Suzuaku are two of the ONLY names that Yusuke's various hypemen can drop. What, they gonna shake in their boots cause he killed fucking Gouki? If they had mentioned Gouki in that same sentence, would you be over here arguing for MCB+ Artifacts of Darkness arc?

It's a fucking callback to the antags of previous arcs. One that makes no assertion as to how the two compare powerwise.
No, I'm not ignoring it, I'm just incedulous you're ignoring the sheer order of magnitude gulf between the pair that doesn't warrant name dropping Rando if Rando wasn't within some kind of spitting distance to Genbu, let alone Suzaku. Literal Elephant to Ant comparison if we take the collateral differences at face value.
I'm not making any judgments on how powerful the Genkai Tournament Arc can be. I'm only saying that you cannot support scaling Rando to Suzaku with those scans. There's is no direct comparison of their power. Only a clear implication that they are powerful enough that most people didn't think they'd get killed by a 15-year old.
You are though? Because the reason for incredulity that they were defeated was because they were considered to be imfamously powerful

Not Yusuke's age, not being some random unknown, but the fact they were powerful underworld figures and they fell to someone else at all.

"In their world, the law of the jungle prevails. One who overthrows the powerful is to be feared, but he also becomes the next target to beat."

While this thought was spurred to mind by "but there were some who scoffed at Suzaku's ineptitude and kicked themselves for fearing him" they're a minority of the criminal element in Ningenkai as "many expressed concern".
Anybody who thought Suzaku or Rando was worth mentioning at all was too stupid to ever make it into the DT in the first place.
No? Excluding Rando for the moment, Suzaku wouldn't have been out of place on a given team that appeared in the DT. Kuwabara had only just found himself able to catch fleeting glimpses of Yusuke and Hiei at the start, and Yusuke closed the 2 times gap Hiei had on him. That's about it.

They'd have been worthless beyond the first couple or rounds, but Suzaku wouldn't have been out of place at all.
Like...they would both get fucking unmade by 95% of that tournament's roster (feel free to BTFO me on this, but I remember a mad gap between the end of the SD saga and the start of the DT saga). Anybody who considered those wins a flex for Yusuke at that point was just wrong.
Only team explicitly beyond the rest of the competition in participation was Toguro's at the start of the DT. Hiei was operating at 60% capacity after Zeru (nsanely early on) until the finals against Bui where he finally healed and mastered the DotDF. Yusuke literally had to absorb most of Genkai's power, and continue to train with bullshit spiritual weights to fully catch up to Toguro. Kuwabara received some weird as fuck sword from Suzuki that gave him an amp that put him in a league of power comparable to Elder Toguro, the second most powerful on the Toguro team. Kurama had to abuse some time reversing plant agent that let most of his past life's power bleed into his human form to catch up to Karasu.
Wait...I just said something important.

YUSUKE HADN'T TRAINED.

So...6 months at Genkai's only to fare marginally better than his last fight with someone of the same power level?

As a Genkai simp (puts a new G in GILF), I don't know that I care for what you are implying about the effectiveness of her training.
ufdup.png
Anime only dude

Of which the anime makes it look much worse as Rando's pond vaporization shits on literally everything performed in the Saint Beasts arc (anime had a chance to one up it, but they add some random filler bullshit to explain why the teacher failed to kill Keiko at the last second as opposed to just having the final exchange between Yusuke and Suzaku occur in the span of his downward stab like in the manga).

Last edited:

Edward Nygma

Illustrious
You're seriously bringing up age? In a shonen, or just power fantasy fiction in general?
Yes, I am bringing up age in a discussion regarding a shonen character's perception of another shonen character.

Elric bros, Baki, Child Emporer, Goku, Gon & Kilua

All of these characters (and literally all pre-college age protags) have their age repeatedly highlighted as a factor for why they are impressive. This is often driven home by the fact that while older characters of the same power can be (in)famous and respected, they aren't fawned over like the younger generation.

This rhetorical deflection might have flown if I were legitimately arguing that Yusuke, as a character, shouldn't be this strong because he is young. All I'm saying is that people in his universe wouldn't expect him to be this strong. Demons already look down on humans as non-threats 99% of the time. I don't see how losing not only to a human but to a human child, doesn't add to that embarrassment. Be the difference between getting killed by a feral cat or a newborn kitten.

So what? Its shonen. His biggest power boost was dying and suddenly multiplying his power by a mind numbing order of magnitude.

The entirety of the manga occurs over the course of a couple years. His training with Genkai was 2 weeks. She just reshaped his already considerable foundation from his original resurrection that he got random power boosts through power of friendship.
You aren't going to build half your foundation on shonen tropes and then pretend that a training arc flashback does not DEMAND a noticeable zenkai.

FFS, I know we have both seen people look at two comparable characters in something like DBZ and go, "Well, their stats are basically equal, but this one did that one-week training at Douchbag-sensei's house and the other one didn't.", and then give the latter a vague +1 because training = power boost. You know, so long as there is any implication that the training has been effective.

You're better than a strawman, or at least I'd like to think so dude :maybe
I think we are both better than to muddy the water calling out obvious banter as a legitimate use of logical fallacies.

No, I'm not ignoring it, I'm just incedulous you're ignoring the sheer order of magnitude gulf between the pair that doesn't warrant name dropping Rando if Rando wasn't within some kind of spitting distance to Genbu, let alone Suzaku. Literal Elephant to Ant comparison if we take the collateral differences at face value.
The killing of an elephant and the killing of an ant are extremely comparable, in the context of hype, if you initially believed the killer to be a microbe.

This is the context you seem hell-bent on limboing under.

A human killing a demon at all is, generally, extremely impressive. We see more of it because that's the story we are following. Yusuke, Genkai, Shinsui, and the psychic kids are the exception to the rule. And, like, a month before killing Rando, Yusuke was just an average human.

No, Toguro's comment is clearly not talking directly about that in his pannel. He's using Yusuke's past achievements to gauge the odds of his fighters. So... Suzaku and Rando > Toguro's men? That's literally what he's saying: "If they can beat these two, they can beat my guys."

Cool. So the weaker of Suzaku and Rando can scale to the strongest fighter on this dude's security detail. Was that the trans(?) chick or the optical illusion punches dude? :maybe

Not Yusuke's age, not being some random unknown, but the fact they were powerful underworld figures and they fell to someone else at all
This is bullshit. Your own supporting quotes imply the exact opposite...

"In their world, the law of the jungle prevails. One who overthrows the powerful is to be feared, but he also becomes the next target to beat."

While this thought was spurred to mind by "but there were some who scoffed at Suzaku's ineptitude and kicked themselves for fearing him" they're a minority of the criminal element in Ningenkai as "many expressed concern".
Would these demons be "kicking themselves" for fearing Suzaku if he'd been killed by fucking Yomi? No. Obviously fucking not. Who killed him is clearly relevant.

It's almost like they aren't commenting on the two's relative power, but on both of them failing to meet what should be an easy benchmark. Not getting merc'd by humans.

I'm not skipping your comparison of Suzuaku to the DT, I'm just taking your word for it.

ChaosTheory123

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member
Yes, I am bringing up age in a discussion regarding a shonen character's perception of another shonen character.
For this to be relevant, by all means actually point to a quote in any of the scans I linked that would lend to suggest it matters

As, beyond Tarukane's musing about them being school children being a descriptor rather than his fixation? I'm not really seeing where you're drawing your rant from.
This rhetorical deflection might have flown if I were legitimately arguing that Yusuke, as a character, shouldn't be this strong because he is young. All I'm saying is that people in his universe wouldn't expect him to be this strong.
No, your tangent about his age would be relevant if that was actually alluded to in the text as to what makes Rando and Suzaku toppling so impressive. You spent a lot of time saying a bunch of nothing when you haven't even established the premise you draw for your conclusion exists in the text.
You aren't going to build half your foundation on shonen tropes and then pretend that a training arc flashback does not DEMAND a noticeable zenkai.
I'm not pretending anything. I'm not ignoring the training. I'm saying most shonen offer an illusion of substantial growth when the fact of the matter is the massive leaps are few and far between. Was also correcting your anime only reference to the general time frame of the training.

Shit, you have the Triad, Toguro's underlings that Tarukane was confident he could safely make money off gambling on their defeat at the hands of Yusuke and Kuwabara because of their toppling of Rando and Suzaku (his ultimate goal was to have them fall to Toguro as he was the only one he thought was vaguely aware of his powers, Sakyo kind of continuously did the exact opposite of what he wanted the entire time though), distinctly not being reduced to gore without Kuwabara having to chop their asses up. Notable being that Yusuke didn't just one shot them, he used a combination of punches for every demon, and as we see with Kuwabara mincing them to giblets and Yusuke's previous vaporization of the first demon with a Reigan, they're clearly employing lethal force. Same deal with the... rather poorly aged fight with Miyuki (he didn't go easy on Miyuki because he considered her a man), the Shotgun used on Inmaki and his ability to slice them (when we know what happens when you're excessively more powerful spiritually [Kuwabara vs Elder Toguro]), and the pair of drop kicks used on Gokumonki (all 3 of them in particular are still alive in the next arc FYI). This is them at the end of the SD Arc (they kind of invited Genkai to the DT and all). Rando and Suzaku are either peer or beyond these scrubs.
I think we are both better than to muddy the water calling out obvious banter as a legitimate use of logical fallacies.
Me pointing out your argument was a strawman and lightly teasing you for it hardly compares and is valid to point out so you don't continue down that rabbit hole.
The killing of an elephant and the killing of an ant are extremely comparable, in the context of hype, if you initially believed the killer to be a microbe.
Which falls apart when between the ant and the elephant are a trio of bears to further muddy the comparison. Hell, Byakko was uniquely famous for his yoki technique in the same way the Saint Beasts are in general.
He's using Yusuke's past achievements to gauge the odds of his fighters. So... Suzaku and Rando > Toguro's men? That's literally what he's saying: "If they can beat these two, they can beat my guys."
Refer to just about every feat I have for why you're just helping emphasize my point :maybe
This is bullshit. Your own supporting quotes imply the exact opposite...
No it doesn't though? Please, I might very well be tired, but maybe break it down yourself for me to see what I missed.

Not that it matters at this point given I also dressed the issue down with how the minions by proxy act as a useful gauge for Suzaku and Rando in kind.
Would these demons be "kicking themselves" for fearing Suzaku if he'd been killed by fucking Yomi? No. Obviously fucking not. Who killed him is clearly relevant.
The why of them kicking themselves isn't actually established. It can be as banal as run of the mill arrogance at seeing someone untarnished being brought lower than they anticipated. Fact of the matter was is that its a minority opinion of a collectively arrogant and glory seeking bunch. They're not even a vocal minority, rather a silent and underhanded minority that figured they could bolster their reputations by acting like opportunists.

Last edited:
Back