• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

Mafia General Discussion

Ratchet

I think this place is honestly the best place to play mafia. You guys actually keep track of the points unlike NF where we need to keep track of our own points. And the color schemes at WG just hurt my eyes, the avy and sigs are super dramatic and so distracting.
Definitely worth disabling sigs in Worstgen, though I do agree in general it's very cluttered.

T-Pein™

The Nexus
Pronouns
They/Them
Blue I think had a massive signature in WG and then for that admin changed the sizes I think.

Refuses to join here cuz avatars are small

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Blue I think had a massive signature in WG and then for that admin changed the sizes I think.

Refuses to join here cuz avatars are small
I think people forget that not everyone can afford good Internet and a very large avatar and signature still accumulates data usage by the KB. They are fools to think that big avatars and ridiculously populated signatures are also appealing in this day and age :pepesip

T-Pein™

The Nexus
Pronouns
They/Them
I think people forget that not everyone can afford good Internet and a very large avatar and signature still accumulates data usage by the KB. They are fools to think that big avatars and ridiculously populated signatures are also appealing in this day and age :pepesip

The forbidden admin gave us a small and a big size version of avatars of the default skins.
Doable for people with unlimited fast data.

Reactions: Ral

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
The forbidden admin gave us a small and a big size version of avatars of the default skins.
Doable for people with unlimited fast data.
We may allow for larger avatars in the near future, but they will look ugly on skins that only show smaller avatars due to resizing and dimension issues. That's why you see such wonky avatars on WG, especially those who don't even use one, and they get a letter representing the first letter of their username to form an identity.

T-Pein™

The Nexus
Pronouns
They/Them
We may allow for larger avatars in the near future, but they will look ugly on skins that only show smaller avatars due to resizing and dimension issues. That's why you see such wonky avatars on WG, especially those who don't even use one, and they get a letter representing the first letter of their username to form an identity.

He just edited the default skin and called it (default - xl avatars ) or something.
But yeah.
He wasnt concerned about avatar file size.
Default was big.
My avatar is 50kb in wg.
Here is 12kb.

4422.jpg

I think people are loading gifs and sigs thousands of time's bigger.

• Agree
Reactions: Ral

RDK

Marvelous
He just edited the default skin and called it (default - xl avatars ) or something.
But yeah.
He wasnt concerned about avatar file size.
Default was big.
My avatar is 50kb in wg.
Here is 12kb.

4422.jpg

I think people are loading gifs and sigs thousands of time's bigger.
That's a good avatar

I like his bad news Barrett gimmick

Dr. Watson

‣ ↻
Administrator
Can we do something where it gives the option to link to imgur so it isn't on us?

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
I think they used this sort of thing back in the day on NF to avoid going over data limits with sigs and avatars
Avatars still had to be cached and whatever is loaded on the page is saved locally to all devices unless you clear your cache (or turn off avatar and signatures in your account preferences)

Can we do something where it gives the option to link to imgur so it isn't on us?
We're not on a position where we'd get in trouble for hosting avatars lol it's more so the ridiculous sizes that predate the modern browser era where mobile is always first now and companies lean towards trends to keep up with the times.

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon
Avatars still had to be cached and whatever is loaded on the page is saved locally to all devices unless you clear your cache (or turn off avatar and signatures in your account preferences)

We're not on a position where we'd get in trouble for hosting avatars lol it's more so the ridiculous sizes that predate the modern browser era where mobile is always first now and companies lean towards trends to keep up with the times.
I think we can still do better then what we have now. Most modern smartphones have displays minimum at 1080p to 4k resolutions and mobile views for websites anyways.

Dr. Watson

‣ ↻
Administrator

I mean I agree but mummies like Fang are comfortable with pre-mobile era and most were spoiled by extremely huge avatars for so many years
It's a hard adjustment to make for users that aren't primarily mobile (like me; which is why I am pretty much where you're at)

Dr. Watson

‣ ↻
Administrator
The biggest issue for me - since the code for responsive avatars on mobile was solved - is the quality that XF has that automatically downgrades the bigger avatars, giving it a jpeg tier look

And that really is difficult to work around and even googling on XF and how to go about it requires effort and tweaks that aren't 100%

What I think I guess I *could* do is follow those tweaks to a T and make a "desktop friendly" version of the upcoming revamped main skin? (That I also want a dark/light add-on installed for both)

Dr. Watson

‣ ↻
Administrator
I have a job interview I have to reschedule for tomorrow so my availability is less uncertain now, I sort of started slacking on OLF stuff. I can try to occupy my time with skin stuff.

Back