• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

MCU discussion thread: The beginning of the Endgame edition.

Gordo

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
MCU Nerds fear him
sykes3.jpg

Makes top tier movies and played the pufferfish in Shark Tale

what a chad

Gordo

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
When was the last live action Superman movie again?

Nine years? Eight?

last time something like this happened it was because of Superman 4
Casuals aren’t big fans of Superman, it’s why he’s been appearing in ensemble superhero films more recently

that’s not franchise killing though

Casuals aren’t big fans of Superman
yeah the literal face of superheroes doesn’t have big fans at all

its not like there was a huge pop-culture argument about Superman snapping Zod’s neck back in 2013…

that’s not franchise killing though
you ever heard of hyperbole?

Sequel Trilogy for Star Wars was also termed franchise killing.

not because it LITERALLY killed the franchise, so much as it is because there is an obvious franchise lull because of the divisive nature it took foward.

the fact that you actually believe casuals don’t like fucking Superman proves my point on its own merits, considering this would never even be taken seriously pre-2013

Last edited:

Gordo

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
yeah the literal face of superheroes doesn’t have big fans at all

its not like there was a huge pop-culture argument about Superman snapping Zod’s neck back in 2013…
What part of casuals don’t you understand?

unless you’re living in a basement reading comics 24/7, people don’t care much for Superman. He’s a mascot, that doesn’t mean people are going out of their way to see his movies. Batman is considered more popular among casuals, and even then he’s just a mascot too

you ever heard of hyperbole?

Sequel Trilogy for Star Wars was also termed franchise killing.

not because it LITERALLY killed the franchise, so much as it is because there is an obvious franchise lull because of the divisive nature it took foward.

the fact that you actually believe casuals don’t like fucking Superman proves my point on its own merits, considering this would never even be taken seriously pre-2013

It’s not my fault if you don’t like how the DCEU is going, but the franchise is doing fine

They don’t care about reception, they only care if they make profit off of it. That’s always how business worked and that’s never changing

why do you think shitty movies get sequels? Because they made bank

Gordo

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member

Do you think that was The Living Tribunal in that promotion
FRNlSn4XwAIeAoT

People think it is:hm

I thought you were pointing at the guy falling

I didn’t even see the Living Tribunal until it was pointed it out. They should have just left him out of the trailer entirely and made him a surprise appearance in the film

Impulse

Illustrious
Neither of those were franchise killing
You don't think at least Justice League didn't damage it

For a movie that was supposed to be Avenger Level in both the box office and critics

It is deemed to be a huge flop by everyone

Gordo

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
You don't think at least Justice League didn't damage it

For a movie that was supposed to be Avenger Level in both the box office and critics

It is deemed to be a huge flop by everyone
I guess if you’re trying to make an Avengers level movie then it didn’t perform as well as anticipated, yeah

Regardless it didn’t really hurt anyone’s rep in the long run (well Whedon is pretty much blacklisted because of allegations but aside from him everyone else is fine :maybe)

What part of casuals don’t you understand?
What part of ITS FUCKING SUPERMAN do you not understand?

dude has been twice as famous than any Marvel hero not called Spider-Man for longer than the MCU has existed
unless you’re living in a basement reading comics 24/7, people don’t care much for Superman. He’s a mascot, that doesn’t mean people are going out of their way to see his movies. Batman is considered more popular among casuals, and even then he’s just a mascot too
Comics are irrelevant in this context because print media has been niche for YEARS

How the hell is the fact that Casuals still go to see his movies NOT evidence that they do give a shit? That’s some backwords logic
It’s not my fault if you don’t like how the DCEU is going, but the franchise is doing fine
If you mean the Superman franchise? No. Its in a lull.

wonder woman franchise? Her recent movie bombed and the series that was planned got cancelled

The Flash has been in development hell years now

DC has been doing good relative to how dogshit they did before, but certain individual franchises aren’t thriving.
They don’t care about reception, they only care if they make profit off of it. That’s always how business worked and that’s never changing
Reception affects how much profit they make. Superman Returns and Man of Steel both made more money than Batman Begins, yet their sequels are non-existent because they weren’t recieved as positively
why do you think shitty movies get sequels? Because they made bank
Suicide Squad got a sequel as a course correction to “fix” the problems it had.

Masterblack06

Man of Atom

Do you think that was The Living Tribunal in that promotion
FRNlSn4XwAIeAoT

People think it is:hm

maybe a few years ago i would jump at the chance of galactus or LT showing up in movies, but they turned my boys to jobbers in the comics so I don't even wanna know what would happen to them in the shitshow that is the MCU

Impulse

Illustrious
maybe a few years ago i would jump at the chance of galactus or LT showing up in movies, but they turned my boys to jobbers in the comics so I don't even wanna know what would happen to them in the shitshow that is the MCU
That is true

I also worried that MCU will change thing about them for no reason or for simplicity

I honestly thought keeping the cosmic stuff out of Thanos' backstory for mcu was good because there was just no way they would be able to build it up right

Big feeling they gonna fuck up the landing here :wow
It included Eternals Lore and Mutants Lore + his obsession with Death

i think his obsession with Lady Death could have worked. But there was no way they were gonna include the mutant stuff when they didn’t have Fox at the time

Gordo

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
What part of ITS FUCKING SUPERMAN do you not understand?

dude has been twice as famous than any Marvel hero not called Spider-Man for longer than the MCU has existed

Comics are irrelevant in this context because print media has been niche for YEARS

How the hell is the fact that Casuals still go to see his movies NOT evidence that they do give a shit? That’s some backwords logic

If you mean the Superman franchise? No. Its in a lull.

wonder woman franchise? Her recent movie bombed and the series that was planned got cancelled

The Flash has been in development hell years now

DC has been doing good relative to how dogshit they did before, but certain individual franchises aren’t thriving.

Reception affects how much profit they make. Superman Returns and Man of Steel both made more money than Batman Begins, yet their sequels are non-existent because they weren’t recieved as positively

Suicide Squad got a sequel as a course correction to “fix” the problems it had.
Casuals watch them because they are movies

They are for entertainment. Not everyone who watches is a superhero fan. Many bring their kids to watch or they watch because they’re bored and want something new to see

You keep calling them dogshit, so you’re clearly disappointed in how the DCEU is going. Problem is companies don’t care as long as they get their profits in

Also, this is probably my last post on the manner because, you know, MCU thread

Last edited:

xenos5

Objectionable Objection
V.I.P. Member

They are for entertainment. Not everyone who watches is a superhero fan. Many bring their kids to watch or they watch because they’re bored and want something new to see

You keep calling them dogshit, so you’re clearly disappointed in how the DCEU is going. Problem is companies don’t care as long as they get their profits in

Also, this is probably my last post on the manner because, you know, MCU thread

Except, even by that metric Justice League made more than 200 million less than Batman v Superman on a 50 million higher budget. So it failed to break even resulting in a loss.

And hell there’s also the massive drops BvS had following its opening weekend leading to it having one of the worst multipliers of any Superhero movie (1.98). That was already a massive red flag even before Justice League came out.

Sequels being on a massive downward trend is the exact opposite of what you want to see with a cinematic universe. As it means rather than building anticipation, interest is being lost.

And it’s not like the losses ended after Aquaman came out either as the same happened with WW84.

So no the DCEU isn’t really making profits high enough to tank negative critical and audience perception and keep going forward. They in fact know they’ve fucked up but in their attempts to course correct have still managed to fuck up even more.

Not a single movie would bomb if this were the case.

Boomer dads and Gen X’ers that are bringing their kids probably grew up with Superman anyhow. You’re not really proving anything here.

BvS, Birds of Prey, JL Suicide Squad and WW84 were all box office dissapointments too.

So me saying they’re dogshit isn’t simply just a minority.

Back