• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #13: Return to Crab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Lock

Marvelous
Banned Member
tumblr_mwfeirtHYE1rhjbado2_1280.jpg
JqOHB87P_0805210610151gpadd.jpg

So I watched Dr. Strange: Multiverse of Madness today... and I was entertained. Like it's definitely better than recent Marvel movies but that isn't saying such but I do have my good points and bad points about the movie(and other hangups)

The Good:
- It definitely wasn't the typical Marvel Movie(which is honestly it's biggest plus yet) and actually had some real bite to it. Characters actually felt alive for once(well most of them) and it didn't feel like they was just reading off scripts and scenes.

- Benedict Cumberbatch still is a great Strange(It's kinda weird for me to hear people really don't like him considering he was the one of the few good parts of Into Darkness) and Chavez didn't want me to strangle her while she existed. And Olsen did what she could with what they gave her with The Scarlet Witch(which I'll get into later). It's funny that the "Sorceror Supreme" didn't really feel like he should have that title but that's an issue I've always seen with Marvel Live Action for how much "better" they are than the DCEU, they always fell short on actually showing that power on screen)

- The Multiverse actually felt like a Multiverse with real issues that would happen due to it and the consequences from it and the scene of the first Multiversal Traversal was A+

- While I wasn't a fan of how we got to it, I did like how Strange having to sacrifice his happiness for the good of others be his defining characteristic, especially when it's due to his own insecurities on top of that.

- Puppeted Undead Strange using the Hellspan as his "cape"? Will ALWAYS be badass and will never not be badass

The Bad:
- While it's an okay movie to watch on it's own, if I HAVE TO watch multiple different movies and T.V. Shows to even understand how we got to this point... what the fuck is the point? There's a reason why EUs exists and they aren't required reading to watch the next movie, only bring in context.

- Okay, it really IS hilarious how they forced in Chavez's backstory... and then have it where she "apparently" killed her "Moms" with her same power... and it's literally a random scene where it's just forced in, makes no real sense and it's there just for representation points and the movie at the end then has Strange say "PARENTS" when at that scene, they say "Moms". It's clearly obvious that for the countries that didn't ban it outright, they will remove the S(As it's real obvious they was saying it the way they did for easy editing) and go with parents after that.

- And even then, we got America Chavez. She's not going into "The Ugly" because she's nowhere near as bad as her Comics Counterpart... but she's still pretty bad as her powers feel WAY too convenient at the end where Strange explains it...
Especially when she never used her powers that way to FIND HER PARENTS! If she can unconsciously go to where she wants to go, then why can't she just automatically find them then? Why it took her this long just to get to this Strange when it should have been immediate?

- The Shuma-Gorath/Living Tribunal fakeouts... do I really need to say anything more?

The Ugly:
- Wanda Maximoff/The Scarlet Witch... Okay seriously, the fuck happened?! I heard of WandaVision but how the hell we seriously get from "Woman whose deluding herself so badly, she would hold a town at ransom to live her happy life" to "Will damn the entire Multiverse for her happy ending"? And this isn't my only problem with Wanda because even if we go "lolDarkholme", how the fuck she gets to levels that even THANOS HIMSELF WITH THE INFINITY GAUNTLET looks pathetic? This isn't MCU Wanda, this is Comics Wanda! How the fuck this power spike happen when she can make the Sorceror Supreme, someone who can also be such and virtually most of their magical disciples look like bitches?! How did she make Captain fucking Marvel look pathetic and weak? Instantly make Mister Fantastic and Black Bolt look weak? But this would be... just dumb on it's own until..

- Why the fuck did you have to include Multiversal Theory now?! If we are somehow saying that the Multiverse is Infinite and there are many different versions of the characters... then why the hell is there only ONE Wanda who doesn't have kids? Shouldn't there be an infinite number of Wandas who don't have kids? Just like how there are an infinite amount of Strange's that never get together with his crush? They even go against this by pointing out that Strange always loses his little sister in every Universe which AGAIN goes against Multiversal Theory(hell, there being a Strange that always becomes what he is also breaks it). Yeah it's a movie but holy shit, account for these things.

- Of course, The Big One:
Why is Strange being questioned upon giving Thanos the Time Stone... at all? The entire point of that was that Strange explicitly went through numerous different timelines to see if they can stop Thanos AT ALL, not something simply minor at all. By presenting that there was ANOTHER WAY out of their fucking asses(which obviously didn't matter for this movie, see later), they are stupidly trying to force in more nonsense so that Strange can have a character arc he never needed.

There are probably other big issues I have with the movie so I'll probably add them in later.

EDIT: Remembered one already
-Wasn't there a huge scene in the first Dr. Strange where he was transported to many different Universes? Why is he so incredulous about a Multiverse when he was already knows it exist through the 1st movies' biggest setpiece?

I don't hate this movie and I enjoyed it... but enjoyment =/= good.

Last edited:

Darth Nihilus

Lord of QUALITY
V.I.P. Member
I'm surprised everyone wasn't done after Endgame. Well except No way home but that's just to see Tobey and Andrew again more than anything. I might just travel the seven seas to see that movie. Almost came close one time and the movie was in Spanish :mjlol .
I still haven't seen that. I'm saving that for a good time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back