• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #20: I am Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
That awkward moment where a Dead Space remake and a brand new IP done by the original creator of Dead Space are both coming out at the same time.

Got to give it to the Callisto Protocol taking a slight edge with its gameplay being more modern and varied to help itself stand out

Better melee combat, the option to be stealthy and shiv monsters like the Last of Us, the zombies fucking mutating in real time the longer the alive or depending on the kind of damage they take, etc.

Callisto is both coming out first and is available on PS4 so I’m getting it first too

Masterblack06

Man of Atom

Now this is a remake I’m excited for. Hopefully if this does well, we’ll get a brand new game. Wasn’t a fan of the direction they took the series in the 3rd entry which also is what killed this series to begin with

IIRC they killed the series that way so that EA wouldn't fuck around with it
:LexLul:

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
IIRC they killed the series that way so that EA wouldn't fuck around with it
:LexLul:
I feel like Dead Space 3 had EA meddling involved.

They were trying to appeal to a wider demographic of gamers by throwing in stuff popular at the time: Co-op, dumbed down and simplified ammo and crafting to make OP weapons and no regard for managing your inventory carefully by giving you loads of ammo that worked for any gun to go nuts, loads of not-scary human enemies shooting back at you, cover system like Gears of War and Uncharted, and just an overall focus on action.

All the above took away from the survival horror aspect and led to predictable results: The core audience was turned off by Dead Space becoming more like any other generic shooter and the dudebros playing Battlefield or CoD weren’t about to try something else over buying their next yearly entry.

Limu&Doug

Acclaimed
V.I.P. Member
FeZqVjjWAAYfNyj

FeZqVjjWAAA_Hvp

FeZqVjkXwAQmnMb

FeZqVjnWYAAZy6S

@mitsuguisoda really like their work

Vespa Crabro

Stellaron Hunter
V.I.P. Member
DS3 def had EA meddling involved

shame because the game had some neat ideas, just needed to be balanced a bit better. I liked the Co-op system and the ability to splice together guns was pretty neat even if it ended up breaking the game.

Biggest L was losing the dope as hell atmosphere the first 2 games had

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
DS3 def had EA meddling involved

shame because the game had some neat ideas, just needed to be balanced a bit better. I liked the Co-op system and the ability to splice together guns was pretty neat even if it ended up breaking the game.

Biggest L was losing the dope as hell atmosphere the first 2 games had
The crafting was neat but it led to some ridiculously unbalanced guns as mentioned.

And the co-op for me didn’t work. It feeling of isolation that added to the survival horror is gone when you got a buddy with you providing witty banter

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
That’s why I’m not all that hyped for Bleach. Animation looks great and I’m sure the fights will be stellar, but it’s still a boring as hell show that doesn’t hold to most other anime

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Final fight of Ichigo vs Yhwach was one of the worst fights in the series.

Yhwach’s poorly defined LOLnope Almighty basically kills any chances of fights with the character being interesting.

Much like Vs Debates with him

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
I did like Ichibei vs Yhwach a lot. Last fight of Yhwach before Almighty was a thing, Ichibei himself was fun and had a cool Zanpakto ability, and the fight was a good back and fourth between the two

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Most of the fights in that arc were pretty shit though, Ichigo vs Mustache was just the top of the shit pile for it.
I can’t even remember most of the Shinigami vs Sternritter fights other than the ones. Just the ones with the Elite 4 since their the only Sternritter besides Quincy Hitler himself people bother with in Vs Debates

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
only decent one was Mayuri fight with big hand
Eh I thought that one was pretty bad too, then again I don't think Bleach ever had another good fight after Stark vs Seniors and Vaizards. That was the last genuinely good fight.
I can’t even remember most of the Shinigami vs Sternritter fights other than the ones. Just the ones with the Elite 4 since their the only Sternritter besides Quincy Hitler himself people bother with in Vs Debates
Just a whole lot of meh.

Improving the fights (slightly) is about the only thing I can reasonably hope for in terms of the anime version. Even top tier animation isn't gonna help if the content itself isn't very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back