• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #23: The Light Always Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top59

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
@Blade, @Top59, @shade0180, @lokoxDZz, @Masterblack06

GOH afterword just dropped.

Tbh I probably like GOH more than everyone here, but now that it's ending, eh I don't really feel anything, it's just a series I like ending.

The last arc also being shit is probably another reason why I don't get much emotion out of it.

Onto the afterword itself, eh, Yonje seems to already know the problems with his series, (he said the same thing in the s5 afterword) yet never seems to try and act on it.

Then again, Yonje also seems to have the problem of trying to be an overachiever(well I don't think overachiever is the right word for it but its all I got rn) and putting goals to high to complete (wanting to wrap everything up in s6 causing it to be as like as the 5 other seasons).

I'll read Yonje's next webtoon. But I don't think I'll reread GOH its just way too long.
He focused so much on making an "epic" match between Jin and Mubong that he forgot everything else and the plot was torn apart.

Uoruk

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
@Blade, @Top59, @shade0180, @lokoxDZz, @Masterblack06

GOH afterword just dropped.

Tbh I probably like GOH more than everyone here,
Now yeah, a few years ago I would have counted it among my fav martial arts manga, but the author forgot everything that made his series good in the first place.

but now that it's ending, eh I don't really feel anything, it's just a series I like ending.
Because it's been bad for a while now

Onto the afterword itself, eh, Yonje seems to already know the problems with his series, (he said the same thing in the s5 afterword) yet never seems to try and act on it.

Then again, Yonje also seems to have the problem of trying to be an overachiever(well I don't think overachiever is the right word for it but its all I got rn) and putting goals to high to complete (wanting to wrap everything up in s6 causing it to be as like as the 5 other seasons).

I'll read Yonje's next webtoon. But I don't think I'll reread GOH its just way too long.

Him trying to overachieve has nothing to do with it tbh he was just a mess. He abandoned or retconned a bunch of things he was setting up in the past and decided to timeskip right when his characters reach the apex of their development. In their place we get a bunch of really dumb plot threads like Jung Mori which dragged on far far longer than it had too. Couple that with the cramming of Mubong's backstory down our throats in an attempt to make him a sympathetic villain which got old fast and all you have is a string of loosely related plots that just barely make a coherent story.

All of that I could have lived with if it weren't for part 2 marking the death of the strongest aspect of the series. The fights and fight choreography. Even if the other shit was trash if the fights looked good no one would have cared. But instead we get a bunch of copy paste attacks and an ambiguous flow to the fights that make them annoying to follow as compared to pre timeskip where it looks like he at least planned how fights would go from the start.

Demonic Spirit King so far is scratching an itch old GoH used to. The fights and the choreo are good on top of the story being just as campy as GoH at the start.

lokoxDZz

Acclaimed
V.I.P. Member
I liked Mori transformations in the last fight, but mubonk asspulling at every moment to deal with Mori got old fast as fuck

Blade

Peace
V.I.P. Member
Ultra Perm Banned Instinct V-2
89bd160111c7b974f93d7f103c39e8c4.png

UQFVIZIMNZAF5DL5XBO4QSW3BE.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back