• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #36: The Orca Scrolls Academia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Nihilus

Lord of QUALITY
V.I.P. Member
CapitalAptJaguar-size_restricted.gif
Best Dracula besides Christopher Lee

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member

Honestly I agree with the general points, there are definitely things to like about X-2's story. Paine and the three faction heads are decent characters, how FFX character stories are continued work pretty well for the most part, Shuyin is one of the few genuinely sympathetic antagonists in the series and the happy-go-lucky tone the game starts with kind of lulls you into an effective false sense of security before slapping you with the seriousness again.

However it definitely does have its problems. The tension between the Youth League and New Yevon being resolved by a simple concert was a very rushed and ham-fisted solution for a complicated problem, Tidus coming back at the end kind of clashes with one of the game's main themes (ie not being too hung up on the past) and the convenience of random Al Bhed Shuyin inventing a system of using spheres in battle which allows Lenne to appear through the songstress dressphere is a little much.

I'd still overall say it was good though personally I wouldn't say any mainline FF story is outright bad, just some have more problems than others.

What I will say though is it seems a bit weird to harp on FFXII being "a thinly veiled Star Wars knock off" when FFIV takes almost as much if not more from Star Wars. Hell Golbez is arguably a more direct Darth Vader knock off than Gabranth is.

lokoxDZz

Acclaimed
V.I.P. Member

Honestly I agree with the general points, there are definitely things to like about X-2's story. Paine and the three faction heads are decent characters, how FFX character stories are continued work pretty well for the most part, Shuyin is one of the few genuinely sympathetic antagonists in the series

I like Shuyin isn't just another nihilistic dude, man spirit just went insane after having to relive his final moments and the tragedy of seeing his loved one dying

Story aside i still think FFX-2 have one of the best gameplay in the series, when i was young i got the international version that was in japanese,and i spent hours and hours knowing nothing just trying to get my team of monsters and shit to work out in he colliseum tournament :skully

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
I like Shuyin isn't just another nihilistic dude, man spirit just went insane after having to relive his final moments and the tragedy of seeing his loved one dying
Add on top of that 1000 years stuck in a cave with little to do but dwell on his and Lenne's deaths and it's easy to see why he'd want to nuke the land responsible for it off the face of the map.

Even Yuna has no ill will for him, hence attempting to reason with him before hand and the clear note of pity she has in her voice for him when you actually do defeat him.

As opposed to Seymour whom, despite having a backstory informing why he was the way he was, took such pleasure in what he did that he just disgusted Yuna. Still one of the best villains in the series but for completely different reasons.
Story aside i still think FFX-2 have one of the best gameplay in the series, when i was young i got the international version that was in japanese,and i spent hours and hours knowing nothing just trying to get my team of monsters and shit to work out in he colliseum tournament :skully
It's hard to argue against X-2's gameplay, I think most people agree that it's a stand out in the series in that regard. :maybe

Blade

Peace
V.I.P. Member
Ultra Perm Banned Instinct V-2
aOhuHlr.jpg

@Uoruk

nobu is actually underrated s class levels in quality, he part of the top 25 jp va's, check the list of chars he voices, now lets make a proper list

- jann lee
- og guts
- axel (srw)
- ban (gb)
- basara
- anji (ggear)
- lee (shaman king)
- leon belmont
- ss camus
- souther (hnk)
- nasu lancer (cu)
- maxi (scalibur)
- lol nnoitra
- ryo takatsuki (project arms)
- kaze (ffantasy anime)
- hayato kanzaki

Blade

Peace
V.I.P. Member
Ultra Perm Banned Instinct V-2
Just beat Control now I'm trying up some loose ends from side missions

This game was a lot better than I thought for a third person shooter

alan wake and control verse take place in the same universe, in the control game, it is confirmed that, control provides context and answers for many of these mysteries by establishing the nature of what occurred in bright falls and the hiss and the dark presence both share similar, menacing abilities and operate by corrupting innocent people. Like the dark presence, the hiss also has the power to manipulate perceived reality.

The hotel jesse crosses realities to enter can also be seen as an extension of the cabin beneath cauldron lake, with alan making reality adjacent cameos in this space during jesse’s visits. (there is more to this, but its a convo for another time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back