• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #49: I RECEIVE YOU

I genuinely expected the typical E-Atheists in the twitter section but apparently, it's dudes who agree that the trope is long tired, people giving their actually pretty decent ideas on how to use the "Religious Order is Evil" Trope and even an Atheist who says the trope is long tired and it's more the difference of how people use it vs. how Marxists use it(With the guy using Japanese usage of it as not being evil... which is true as Japan tends to have a neutral take on religion of all kinds rather than it just being evil for the sake of evil).

Cubey

The Formality
Ordered silent magician and swordsman, gandora and gandora-x, all the galaxy-eyes except cipher and full-armor, shark drake + veiss and red-eyes with its retrained fusions

@Astaro

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member

And? What else are you doing with them?

And I say that as someone whose favourite game of all time is Final Fantasy X which does indeed have a central religion as the primary antagonists for much of it. The thing is X actually does something interesting with this as we see figures involved with this religion on all ends of the spectrum, be they the monks of Djose Temple who took in even injured Al Bhed following the disastrous Operation Mihen, corrupts assholes like Kinoc who is just out to advance himself and people like Yunalesca and Mika who acknowledge how shitty the situation is but still see it as the right thing to do.

It's still generally portrayed as a bad thing because the whole core of the religion is based on lies but they were still allowed to show followers of that religion actually being decent people or at least not being completely evil as well, right down to most of the main characters being or having been followers of that religion.

There's nothing creative about just making a religion evil unless you do something interesting with it. By comparison the circle of malius/crystaline orthodoxy from FFXVI is much more just blandly evil than something like Yevon.

Derpmaster9000

Balor Béimnech
V.I.P. Member
I genuinely expected the typical E-Atheists in the twitter section but apparently, it's dudes who agree that the trope is long tired, people giving their actually pretty decent ideas on how to use the "Religious Order is Evil" Trope and even an Atheist who says the trope is long tired and it's more the difference of how people use it vs. how Marxists use it(With the guy using Japanese usage of it as not being evil... which is true as Japan tends to have a neutral take on religion of all kinds rather than it just being evil for the sake of evil).
The trope is so overused now, that we're at the point, where unironically portraying a religious organization/God/Angels as completely and wholly good and righteous would be a breath of fresh air. Me thinks we should get more of it. Media(right now, it's solely going to be indie stuff/Japanese, because ain't no way the leftie western industry will do it, with their hate boner for Christianity, because it's primarily that which gets dogged on) could do with giving us some wholesome shit for the divine(while also keeping the metal as fuck imagery that biblically accurate angels are supposed to have. Seriously, imagine having a giant, fuck-off eyeball with wings and wheels spinning around it, blasting flames with countless eyeballs in them too, what you'd think is pure nightmare fuel, ending up being just a wholesome servant of God, lol.) :mjlol

And I say that as someone whose favourite game of all time is Final Fantasy X which does indeed have a central religion as the primary antagonists for much of it. The thing is X actually does something interesting with this as we see figures involved with this religion on all ends of the spectrum, be they the monks of Djose Temple who took in even injured Al Bhed following the disastrous Operation Mihen, corrupts assholes like Kinoc who is just out to advance himself and people like Yunalesca and Mika who acknowledge how shitty the situation is but still see it as the right thing to do.

It's still generally portrayed as a bad thing because the whole core of the religion is based on lies but they were still allowed to show followers of that religion actually being decent people or at least not being completely evil as well, right down to most of the main characters being or having been followers of that religion.

There's nothing creative about just making a religion evil unless you do something interesting with it. By comparison the circle of malius/crystaline orthodoxy from FFXVI is much more just blandly evil than something like Yevon.

That's precisely the problem with most Western Based Media that has to do anything with the Church or worse, the Judeo-Christian God because most of these niggas became E-Atheists due to hating being dragged to Church on Sunday.
So all they do is do the same old shit they always do without fail every time... which is basically the exact same stale playbook you see all the time:

"Church Bad, Christianity Bad, Religion Bad, Be Atheist! Worship Government!"

The last one is legit unironic and it's why you see Twitter legit worshipping political figures and go completely crazy... there's a reason why NO religion allows you to worship "False Idols"...

The trope is so overused now, that we're at the point, where unironically portraying a religious organization/God/Angels as completely and wholly good and righteous would be a breath of fresh air. Me thinks we should get more of it. Media(right now, it's solely going to be indie stuff/Japanese, because ain't no way the leftie western industry will do it, with their hate boner for Christianity, because it's primarily that which gets dogged on) could do with giving us some wholesome shit for the divine(while also keeping the metal as fuck imagery that biblically accurate angels are supposed to have. Seriously, imagine having a giant, fuck-off eyeball with wings and wheels spinning around it, blasting flames with countless eyeballs in them too, what you'd think is pure nightmare fuel, ending up being just a wholesome servant of God, lol.) :mjlol

It is and I think alot of indie writers recognize that as well. The demand hasn't diminished at all, there's just no supply options because all of the mainstream sources refuses to have them be around at all.
So you end up with indie sources, other countries and otherwise that will give some actual nuanced takes or straight up just doing the breath of fresh air option.
Basically give the True Final Boss/Bonus Boss Energy entrance to an Archangel appearing... just to say hi and basically tell you what God wants you to do before going back to Heaven... leaves a forever impression on folks.

Adamant soul

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
That's precisely the problem with most Western Based Media that has to do anything with the Church or worse, the Judeo-Christian God because most of these niggas became E-Atheists due to hating being dragged to Church on Sunday.
So all they do is do the same old shit they always do without fail every time... which is basically the exact same stale playbook you see all the time:

"Church Bad, Christianity Bad, Religion Bad, Be Atheist! Worship Government!"

The last one is legit unironic and it's why you see Twitter legit worshipping political figures and go completely crazy... there's a reason why NO religion allows you to worship "False Idols"...

It is and I think alot of indie writers recognize that as well. The demand hasn't diminished at all, there's just no supply options because all of the mainstream sources refuses to have them be around at all.
So you end up with indie sources, other countries and otherwise that will give some actual nuanced takes or straight up just doing the breath of fresh air option.
Basically give the True Final Boss/Bonus Boss Energy entrance to an Archangel appearing... just to say hi and basically tell you what God wants you to do before going back to Heaven... leaves a forever impression on folks.
Stellar Blade is actually a good example of at least using a religious allegory positively.

Given Adam and Eve together are able to at the very least create a circumstance where they can start to put their world back together (obviously it sets up a sequel so that story's not done yet), right down to Eve getting an angelic form in the good ending.

It's one of the many things about the game that is refreshing to see because we're so used to seeing religious shit treated negatively nowadays.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Sweet. Caulifla and Kefla will both be two of my mains along with Broly and Whis so far

Claudio Swiss

Luminous
V.I.P. Member
GNsdv-CXMAED9FL

TrueG 37

Acclaimed

That's my problem with it. People don't even try to execute this concept well or with any amount of creativity or nuance anymore.

FF Tactics looking around nervously

Tactics is actually good though :mjpls. Orlandu and Calculators being broken as shit as well as Cloud sucking if you bother getting him be damned :skully.

Masterblack06

Man of Atom
10 Reasons The NCR Is The Right Choice In Fallout: New Vegas
10. The NCR Has The Resources To Rebuild
9. The NCR Is The Only Faction That Cares About The Future
8. Caesar's Legion Has Slavery
7. The NCR Has Infrastructure Similar To Pre-War Society
6. The NCR Would Work With The Followers Of The Apocalypse
5. Uniting The Mojave Is Realistically Achievable
4. Caesar's Legion Will Fall Apart After His Death
3. The NCR Is A Democracy
2. Mr. House Cares More About Himself Than The Good Of The People
1. Independent Vegas Is Unsustainable
As factions grow in the wasteland, an independent Vegas will not have the firepower to survive. Someone would come along and eventually take over the strip, and hopefully, it wouldn't be a faction like Caesar's Legion. The NCR is the only faction that would put New Vegas to good use, and be able to defend it from others. When considering all factors of the choices in Fallout: New Vegas, the NCR stands out clearly as the correct option.

CBR what the fuck are you talking about

Back