• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #8: Still New Year, Lets go full force for the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vespa Crabro

Stellaron Hunter
V.I.P. Member
crop.php

NostalgiaFan

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
I mean....The Big 3 no longer means what it did back than seeing as how many other big Shonen titles have come along. Just look at Black Clover, MHA, and JJK and plenty of other titles that have reached the same popularity. AOT replacing Bleach does not make sense since those other titles have already done that so even on that note it makes no sense.

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
i feel like big 3 as a title somewhat also made sense because OP Naruto and Bleach were kinda similarly centered on their mc's journey, with varying degrees of success

aot and JJK aren't similar at all, there's nothing to compare outside of popularity

CrossTheHorizon

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
In the first place, "Big Three" is not some kind of awarded position. It didnt refer to "the biggest three mangas", it referred specifically to Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece because they were all leaps and bounds ahead of everything else in popularity and sales for like a decade straight.

It's not something to be inherited or passed on, it's just an indicator of something unusual that happened.

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
It didnt refer to "the biggest three mangas", it referred specifically to Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece because they were all leaps and bounds ahead of everything else in popularity and sales for like a decade straight.
That's the same thing though?

DmtCxxJVsAA3LI_.jpg

If they were more popular and gathered more sales than any other anime or manga at the time. That meant they were big. Big as in famous and well-known.

That's the same thing though?

DmtCxxJVsAA3LI_.jpg

If they were more popular and gathered more sales than any other anime or manga at the time. That meant they were big. Big as in famous and well-known.

You don't understand the context behind it.
One Piece, Naruto and Bleach was huge... like fucking HUGE and they still are.
Even Bleach's waning popularity at the time(before the Anime's revival) was still outstripping ongoing anime and manga for years in terms of merch alone.
Boruto is literally carried by Naruto's name alone and that series basically defined Manga in America.

Manga in America, Japan and otherwise never reached the Zenith the Big 3 have until after it happened. It's a cultural landmark, it's not just hitting a certain sales mark in the slightest. It's the sheer timing and how Manga wasn't as huge even with DBZ at the helm until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back