Soulsborne Discussion, Feats & Analysis

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
I'm guessing it'll provide a new ending or further context like Ringed City added the Painting as a possible escape from the cycles. An entire new ending would be cool though.

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member
Hm, after listening to a few more videos citing more accurate translations at work, our understanding of the Outer Gods seems to be a bit off

first 6 minutes of this video roughly summarize it, but he has a whole hour long one where he spoke to translators to get a more insightful look at the wording and how the Japanese community understands them

tl;dr
The Outer Gods are not "Outer" in the Lovecraftian sense strictly, they're called that because they're outside the current system of the Erdtree, but they do seem to actually be creations of the Greater Will and more importantly, they are a part of the world of Elden Ring. This is why for example, the Rot Outer God actually is sealed below the Lake of Rot, and the Formless Mother is deep beneath the Earth. This also explains why the Greater Will isn't ever referred to as an Outer God, and it makes Hyetta's dialogue via the Frenzied Flame, where the Three Fingers assert that all things, seemingly including the Frenzied Flame, were made by the Greater Will, and the Frenzied Flame wants to return everything to the oneness that existed before reality was made.

There's a lot more supporting this interpretation cited but those are the broad strokes. This does not mean they aren't still abstract or cosmic in some form. The Rot God still obviously affects the world despite being sealed away, and is also still more powerful than the Demigods are, which would include the likes of Malenia, Radahn, etc. They just aren't of the cosmos or another plane specifically like we thought they were, they are fundamental forces of the world, closer to abstract or conceptual beings than anything else. He does argue the Fairy that aided the blind swordsman in sealing the Rot God was another Outer God but I'm not entirely sure why that is, although the Fairy and it/the swordsman's power is certainly never really explained.

Interestingly, considering the Greater Will is likely not an Outer God, you have four named Outer Gods
God of Rot
Formless Mother
Frenzied Flame
Dark Moon (not specified but almost certainly an Outer God and not a "God" like Marika, the Fell God, or Placidusax' consort)
and one unnamed fifth (God the Deathbirds worship)

Miyazaki has been using this element since Dark Souls 1, 4 Lords and 1 hidden 5th (Furtive Pygmy) and again in Dark Souls 3 (4 primary Lords of Cinder and Ludleth, another Pygmy, as an obscure fifth). The DLC seems like it is going to deal with afterlife or spirit realms (makes sense as Torrent, Ranni, and Melina are spirits), possibly the Helphen, so the fifth unnamed Outer God could play a role?

do want to add that it's not 100% known the Great Will isn't an Outer God, nor do we directly know the Elden Ring resulted in the other outer gods so much as the original text connotations are not the same as them being from out in the cosmos and Hyetta's dialogue and the Frenzied Flame seeking to return everything to the "One Great" make more sense with this interpretation in mind, rather than the "warring cosmic forces" conclusion most westerners have come to.

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member
this is pure speculation but I am also fairly sure if we follow the Great Will=made the Outer Gods line of thinking, the Flame of Frenzy is actually responsible or trying to return everything to the Crucible. For as important as the Crucible was, I haven't see anyone really mention that a crucible is literally a melting pot. It's a symbolic name for the Erdtree's original form, as the Crucible was where all life was one and originated from, but the Flame of Frenzy is now trying to burn out "all that distinguishes and divides", essentially melting down everything in the world, or possibly existence, and returning it to one unified form devoid of suffering.

Ironically its means of accomplishing this involve a LOT of suffering.

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member
Interesting quote from a ghost at the church of the Eclipse I missed
Lord Miquella, forgive me. The sun has not been swallowed. Our prayers were lacking. Your comrade remains soulless... I will never set my eyes upon it now. Your divine Haligtree.
So part of Miquella's plans to restore Godwyn's soul seem to have involved swallowing up the sun. I know this just means causing an eclipse, but it becomes harder and harder for me to think the Demigods are not supposed to be cosmic forces with every bit of information I learn about. Trying to cause something that blocks out the sun at all obviously means the demigods have some means of affecting celestial objects and aren't barrel level or whatever people argue.

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member
here's the description from the website

The Land of Shadow.

A place obscured by the Erdtree.

Where the goddess Marika first set foot.

A land purged in an unsung battle.

Set ablaze by Messmer’s flame.

It was to this land that Miquella departed.

Divesting himself of his flesh, his strength, his lineage.

Of all things Golden.

And now Miquella awaits

the return of his promised Lord.

https://en.bandainamcoent.eu/elden-...rdtree-the-expansion-elden-ring-arriving-june

The last line is the strangest to me, as we have never had any indication until now that Miquella was searching for someone else. New ending inbound maybe? This being the first place Marika set foot (Numen are rumored to have come from another planet so that's a possibility) but then being 'obscured' by the Erdtree is also strange.

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member
@OtherGalaxy

Other than Radahn’s shit, any bit feats to look at? Don’t remember all the destructible environment or attack types in Elden Ring

No promises, but might bother at least with all angles of Radahn if I feel like it.
Radahn's the only straightforward raw power thing I'm aware of, Fallingstar Beast's craters might be bit feats but we don't see them land on screen, same thing with the various meteors. A lot of the rest of it is stuff mostly explained offscreen like the Black Moon being destroyed, Miquella trying to cause an eclipse, etc. I'll try and think of any other straightforward DC feats I'm just blanking on anything other than Radahn. We have a lot of meteor related spells but I'm not sure those even need to be calced (minus KE maybe?) given we can just use an assumed speed since they're summoned directly from space.

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member

Miyazaki's recent Famitsu interview was translated

Some interesting notes
-not set in past or future, concurrent with main game timeline
-no new ending (surprised by this actually, given the site talking about Miquella waiting for his Lord)
-Shadowed Land is 'sundered' from the main one and hidden away. Marika being able to just...separate an entire part of the world from everything else is another shot in the foot against people thinking these characters are sword level or whatever. Even weirder considering it seems to be the main world, people have spotted what look like aspects of Caelid, Liurnia, and Leyndell in the trailer.
-"Lion Dance" boss is from a culture predating the Erdtree, which we will get to see here. May tie into above notes about visually similar areas?
-No more DLC planned. Not the definitive end of Elden Ring, but much like DSIII Miyazaki always keeps the door opened. It doesn't sound like there is any intention for a sequel though.
-You have to beat Mogh and Radahn to access the DLC. Mohg obviously makes sense, but Radahn is a bit surprising because you can actually reach Mohg without killing Radahn, so I wonder why specifically this is? Has to be some lore reason.

Last edited:

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member
rannis-great-rune-is-not-on-the-moon-v0-0r0rb6atyaea1.png

No real clue what to make of this but it's come to my attention you can see what appear to be arcs of the Elden Ring carved into the moon????

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member
Something non-canon to note, but interesting

The spirit that talks of Miquella's eclipse, in patch 1.0 of the game originally said this
Lord Miquella, I still cannot make pilgrimage to the Haligtree. Our glorious sun remains held in thrall.

This is non-canon now, but it very directly states the sun was being held, so in the original game at least Radahn was explicitly holding back the sun. Wish this was still in the game as it would be the nail in the coffin in the "stars are all just meteors!!" argument, but given Radahn is a requirement to enter Shadow of the Erdtree I'm near certain this or a similar plot point will come back up. The subtext is there even in the current version of the game, but this line was much more direct about it, and it provides a more feasible motive for Malenia fighting Radahn to begin with even if I find it hard to believe he wouldn't be willing to work with them to help Godwyn's progeny (I don't buy the jealousy argument, Radahn hasn't been written that way). Mohg framing Radahn is also likely, but this provides more motive for Malenia, who it's pretty out of character for given her and Miquella want to save everyone.

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member

Compiled all the star level relevant info here
I was actually wrong about Radahn moving the world this whole time, but the reason I was wrong actually backs the scaling more? Since the night post-bossfight is coming from the Dark Moon, and it and Ranni’s plans are what he was interfering with etc.

Really Sellen and Iji saying he stopped constellations is all we needed but the Dark Moon showing up specifically as he is dying is very telling

Back