Spoilers: Final Fantasy VII - Rebirth

I don't recall them mentioning Dyne going insane because Jenova cells. I plan on rewatching the thing though.

Yeah, I looked through it and that's not there but they did pussify him real bad by basically having him just want to kill Shinra at any and all costs and even treats Barret like a friend till he sees Cloud but that still comes off very shit compared to his original take where he turned utterly psychopathic after what he went through.

Shera shit is whatever if only because that whole thing in the original was peak dumbassary on every level. Them making Cid overly nice, hapily flying everyone around and knowing Aerith's mom and shit bothered me more.

The Shera shit was stupid as fuck and I won't deny that(Primarily because it really didn't matter compare to Cid's wish of going to space which he did get fulfilled) but removing alot of Cid's hostility and basically turning him into KH Cid is just too much. Having him know Aerith's mother just shrinks the world of FFVII even moreso(I guess we can't have someone just be in the party without any affiliation with the cast anymore, especially as Yuffie knew Zack since Crisis Core...)

Everything involving Lucrecia is hilarious as shit. I don't even like Vincent like that but the dude deserved better than some lady leading him on and getting with the scientist version of Satan partly out of spite :mjlol.

It is but I can guarantee they will either make the Lucrecia shit even more retarded in an attempt to not make her such a fucking tool...
Like it was never a good idea to have Vincent be tied to Lucrecia in the first place if this was the result.

TrueG 37

Acclaimed
Zack's been hitting too much of the Mako juice mentioning SOLDIER in that fight with Sephiroth. Just saying :skully.
Yeah, I looked through it and that's not there but they did pussify him real bad by basically having him just want to kill Shinra at any and all costs and even treats Barret like a friend till he sees Cloud but that still comes off very shit compared to his original take where he turned utterly psychopathic after what he went through.
Tbf he did want Shinra dead if I recall. But it went beyond that cause he's gotten so tramautised that he pretty much wants to kill everything including Marlene. Which for obvious reasons Barret wasn't going to let happen.
The Shera shit was stupid as fuck and I won't deny that(Primarily because it really didn't matter compare to Cid's wish of going to space which he did get fulfilled) but removing alot of Cid's hostility and basically turning him into KH Cid is just too much. Having him know Aerith's mother just shrinks the world of FFVII even moreso(I guess we can't have someone just be in the party without any affiliation with the cast anymore, especially as Yuffie knew Zack since Crisis Core...)
It isn't just that honestly. I'd like to expect that supposed genius pilot and aeronautics engineer Cid Highwind would actually work with his subordinate to check for any problems. Yeah I'd be upset that my dreams got shattered but simple logic could have changed everything. No one even bothered checking that thing during the huge materia shit either :mjlol.

Yeah I just don't see any point for him knowing Aerith's mom. He doesn't even show up in that ff7 novel focusing on Aerith's background from what I remember either.
It is but I can guarantee they will either make the Lucrecia shit even more retarded in an attempt to not make her such a fucking tool...
Like it was never a good idea to have Vincent be tied to Lucrecia in the first place if this was the result.
I mean they tried in Dirge and unintentionally made her look like an even bigger asshole to the point that it's kinda funny. Hojo's comments on the entire deal is straight up unhinged, "you've finally come to your senses and chose me" never gets old, man casually just cucks Vincent with ease:jordangif.

TrueG 37

Acclaimed
Honestly at this point Shinra may as well just cause brainrot Mako or otherwise.
Shera and Reeve are the exceptions just for having moderate amounts of common sense :skully.

lokoxDZz

Acclaimed
V.I.P. Member
I don't recall them mentioning Dyne going insane because Jenova cells. I plan on rewatching the thing though.
Its not said but he grows tentacles on the fight while saying stuff like "I can't remember" so i assumed they wanted to imply he had jenova cells, but maybe it could be mako poisoning too :skully

Gordo

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Is Lucrecia a useless character to the plot?

As far as the story is aware, Jenova is Sephiroth’s “mom”

It feels like FF7 has a ton of useless side characters

It's weird because Lucrecia herself isn't worthless, the problem is that they expanded on her one off appearance of being Sephiroth's mother who loved Vincent but basically backstabbed him and ran like a bitch when Hojo betrayed her and sealed herself away... into being absolutely unlikeable in most cases to the point you fully believe she and Hojo deserve each other.

So basically, she isn't a worthless character in a vacuum but a worthless character in the grand scheme of things that they try and make very important for Vincent's development post FFVII.

TrueG 37

Acclaimed
Its not said but he grows tentacles on the fight while saying stuff like "I can't remember" so i assumed they wanted to imply he had jenova cells, but maybe it could be mako poisoning too :skully
Looking back at it just looks like some technology stuff from his arm cannon. He conjured all the junk around him to form that thing.

I mean not really. Most of the Jenova Cell bullshit is also largely her fault, Vincent's simping be damned. Sephiroth considers Jenova his mom in the sense that he has her cells and her legacy of screwing over other planets gives him a higher sense of purpose that makes him above humanity and gives him justification for destroying everything for the sake of his newfound god complex.

Lucrecia being with the absolute Giga chad Hojo is pretty important and that's not counting all the Omega/Chaos shit that is guaranteed to come up in the remake one way or the other.

TrueG 37

Acclaimed
Wait hold up Barret got short changed on arm cannons. Barret just gets infinite bullets meanwhile Dyne gets not only bullets but the ability to be Magneto :skully ? I'll just assume that's a limit break or something cause that's kinda crazy if it's just a function of his arm cannon.

CrossTheHorizon

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Wait hold up Barret got short changed on arm cannons. Barret just gets infinite bullets meanwhile Dyne gets not only bullets but the ability to be Magneto :skully ? I'll just assume that's a limit break or something cause that's kinda crazy if it's just a function of his arm cannon.

I think Dyne got Jenova cells so that's probably why? :hm

TrueG 37

Acclaimed
I think Dyne got Jenova cells so that's probably why? :hm
The "tentacles " are just a bunch of pipes from his gun and he combines it with the junk from the junkyard. They also just disperse back into junk when he finishes one of his techniques. Doesn't look anything like Jenova Cells and nothing about them is mentioned. Just looks like an ability/limit that he has for some reason. He's angry as shit during that part of the fight and has resolved more than ever to kill Barret so that would make more sense. He's somehow able to shoot fireballs and electricity in this game and in the og game despite essentially being just some dude from a backwater mining town. Not like it's any more weird than Zack's limit break copying limit breaks, Sephiroth creating supernovas or Cid's inexplicable ability to jump 5 billion feet in the air for his limit breaks because they're apparently powered by his love of the sky according to an early ff7 guidebook that I stumbled across:mjlol.

TrueG 37

Acclaimed
Not joking about the Cid thing in case you were wondering. You can check on that stuff here

Certain things are early in development (Reno is called Leno, Cloud's blade beam is called Mako blade etc.) But it shows where the developers heads were at with how things work and most of this is still in the game anyway.

Edit for Cid's limit statement:

"Cid's unfulfilled love of the skies and his passion to sail them is the Raison detre and driving force for all he does. The skills he uses in combat are no exception to the rule.

TrueG 37

Acclaimed
So there's certain things that I just noticed reading the guidebook again.

Clouds ability as an "ex-soldier" is stated to be so strong that he can cleave space time with a simple sword swing. I assume they're talking about cross slash there given the picture.

Also Barret's gun arm is in fact limit less in ammunition. Not exactly surprising but still.

Gordo

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member

Imagine if Zack woke up Vincent and managed to get him to team up, I wonder how different things could have been

Punchsplosion

Limit Breakdancer
Some things that I noticed feat-wise in my playthrough.

Shinra metallurgy is far above traditional metals and even rare magical metals such as mythril. This explains why SOLDIER's and powerful fiends can be downed by concentrated gunfire from Shinra Infantry. (Start of the video, Dialogue between Barrett and the party):

Odin's Zantetsuken is powerful enough to cut space/time (think Yamato from Devil May Cry, Talked about @ 3:35, Shown using Spatial Distortion @ 13:45):

Tifa kills a red dragon with a non-Limit Break flip kick:

This entire sequence is ridiculously awesome. Jenova Lifeclinger be firing off lasers that seem to look and function like actual lasers (@11:25). Group proceeds to fight Jenova while falling down the chasm created from the laser spam. Cue sequence where party works in tandem to nullify Jenova's attacks, including a part where Cloud reacts to one of the lasers and blocks it. Jenova tanks 3 Limit Break-esque moves at once during the cutscene, but it puts her on the backfoot.

lokoxDZz

Acclaimed
V.I.P. Member
Some things that I noticed feat-wise in my playthrough.

Shinra metallurgy is far above traditional metals and even rare magical metals such as mythril. This explains why SOLDIER's and powerful fiends can be downed by concentrated gunfire from Shinra Infantry. (Start of the video, Dialogue between Barrett and the party):

I like when they add new "materials" i find it so silly some works that will have world ending threats but then they are using random iron swords :skully

Punchsplosion

Limit Breakdancer
Other stuff.
Many other dimensions exist. Gilgamesh obviously being the prime example of an outside coming in. However, the GI are from an entirely other dimension that they migrated from. The Cave of the GI is a boundary between the two worlds (@29:00).

Gi stole the greatest materia of thousands of years ago, far predating Jenova's arrival. They did this because they could not join the afterlife. After they would die, they would just become wandering spirits that required true release. Having not been born of the Lifestream, they cannot return to it and thus suffer eternal penance. They took that materia and poured their collected sorrow, rage, and desires into it. This created the Black Materia. Which can truly give them the solace that they crave. It will destroy their spirits. However, it also has the possibility of destroying everything else (the world, souls, and the Lifestream) if used for that purpose.

The moogles also live in (at least) little pocket dimensions.

Also, retcon to the whole just the world dying thing when the Lifestream is taken away from the planet. It actually (at bare minimum) kills the nearest star (possibly the entire solar system). Bugenhagen (and one other scene I believe with the Cetra) states that the Lifestream is the source of the star's power.

Other stuff.
Many other dimensions exist. Gilgamesh obviously being the prime example of an outside coming in. However, the GI are from an entirely other dimension that they migrated from. The Cave of the GI is a boundary between the two worlds (@29:00).

Gi stole the greatest materia of thousands of years ago, far predating Jenova's arrival. They did this because they could not join the afterlife. After they would die, they would just become wandering spirits that required true release. Having not been born of the Lifestream, they cannot return to it and thus suffer eternal penance. They took that materia and poured their collected sorrow, rage, and desires into it. This created the Black Materia. Which can truly give them the solace that they crave. It will destroy their spirits. However, it also has the possibility of destroying everything else (the world, souls, and the Lifestream) if used for that purpose.

The moogles also live in (at least) little pocket dimensions.

Also, retcon to the whole just the world dying thing when the Lifestream is taken away from the planet. It actually (at bare minimum) kills the nearest star (possibly the entire solar system). Bugenhagen (and one other scene I believe with the Cetra) states that the Lifestream is the source of the star's power.

That last one unironically weakens the Lifestream considering it ultimately doesn't work with the fact that Sephiroth ultimately wants to absorb it yet at his full power, Super Nova, isn't enough to do enough damage to summon all of the Lifestream into one place like Meteor can.

It also doesn't make sense if we are taking the fact that the connection to multiple timelines is connected to Earth which makes less sense The Lifestream is weakened to it being connected to the Star.

lokoxDZz

Acclaimed
V.I.P. Member
That last one unironically weakens the Lifestream considering it ultimately doesn't work with the fact that Sephiroth ultimately wants to absorb it yet at his full power, Super Nova, isn't enough to do enough damage to summon all of the Lifestream into one place like Meteor can.

It also doesn't make sense if we are taking the fact that the connection to multiple timelines is connected to Earth which makes less sense The Lifestream is weakened to it being connected to the Star.
Lifestream is all over the place at this point, with multiple timelines and shit might as well make it closer to some universal force that is more densely at certain places

Back