Spoilers: Final Fantasy VII - Rebirth

Lifestream is all over the place at this point, with multiple timelines and shit might as well make it closer to some universal force that is more densely at certain places

That's where it should be but placing it where "It would only rob the Star of it's energy" hilariously makes it weaker than it should be by Remake/Rebirth's own statements of how Multiverse Theory works and the Whispers apparently being tied to the Lifestream.

In the original, The Lifestream was the reason for why things even existed and further makes sense with things like Materia, WEAPONs and so on and so forth and fit with how strong Meteor and Holy is. Kinda feels like it's somehow both a step up and a massive step down at the same time.

Punchsplosion

Limit Breakdancer
That last one unironically weakens the Lifestream considering it ultimately doesn't work with the fact that Sephiroth ultimately wants to absorb it yet at his full power, Super Nova, isn't enough to do enough damage to summon all of the Lifestream into one place like Meteor can.

It also doesn't make sense if we are taking the fact that the connection to multiple timelines is connected to Earth which makes less sense The Lifestream is weakened to it being connected to the Star.
Nah it just means that some fraction of the Lifestream's presence keeps the star lit. It's not the Lifestream's overall cap or a low-end. It just a by-product of the Lifestream existing in the first place. As the life on that planet required a star to live, so the Lifestream most likely keeps that star going/created it in the first place.

It's still creating multiple timelines, dimensions, universes, etc in the OG and this series of requels.

TrueG 37

Acclaimed
Nah it just means that some fraction of the Lifestream's presence keeps the star lit. It's not the Lifestream's overall cap or a low-end. It just a by-product of the Lifestream existing in the first place. As the life on that planet required a star to live, so the Lifestream most likely keeps that star going/created it in the first place.

It's still creating multiple timelines, dimensions, universes, etc in the OG and this series of requels.
Yeah that's about what I got from it. The Lifestream just keeps the planet and everything else around it going. Stars and shit are a portion of it's power to maintain life. Pretty sure that's how it worked in the original. Now all the timeline, alt universes and dimension shit on the other hand is a bit flimsy. Shits potentially connected to the void/interdimensional rift or whatever now:mjlol.

Punchsplosion

Limit Breakdancer
Loving that lots of confusion within the original timeline and obviously problematic questions are being tackled in this game such as:

"Why would the Lifestream create a materia that can destroy itself?"
It didn't. There was a particularly powerful materia that the Gi essentially Sauron'd into the Black Materia.

"How could regular bullets kills Zack if FF7 characters are so strong?"
They aren't regular at all. The weapons created by Shinra are made of magical metal alloys and enhanced by materia.

"What happened to the Cetra? Why did they die off if they were so strong?"
Humanity, most likely influenced by Jenova, turned on the Cetra and hunted them down after they were already greatly diminished by their initial conflict with alien shapeshifter. In OG, it was implied that Jenova nearly killed all of the Cetra.

Although it is suggested by the Gi that the Cetra were selfish, jealous, ignorant, and liars, they were 100% correct in thinking that the things that cannot join the Lifestream seem to be the biggest threat to existence. The creation of the Black Materia (Gi couldn't die and got pissed enough to try and do something about it), Jenova (couldn't truly die and just hibernated until Shinra discovered her, creating...), Sephiroth (fucker refuses to be diffused into the Lifestream and comes back to cause all of this), etc.

Sephiroth actively says that he is going to take over infinity. His next statement directly confirms that he means all the new universes created by unbound fate and unwritten stories. It seems that he is implying that he will do this by merging all timelines.

"My fragmented mother, these errant worlds... All shall be one again."

Now for some other stuff:

We see that Sephiroth (& another version of Aerith - OG/Advent Children version most likely) has the ability to travel between these universes/timelines freely, can send people between universes/timelines easily (does it to Zack twice, separates Cloud from the party, etc), but is the only one shown that doesn't seem to have multiple versions of himself existing (might be like a shared consciousness type of thing or if not then like dreamwalking in the MCU where he can take over a version of himself that already exists in that timeline).

Cloud seems to be some type of nexus point for these alternate worlds. Zack could perceive Cloud in another timeline and when Zack touches him it brings them into the same universe together. Cloud is able to take the white materia from another universe and bring it into the Rebirth timeline. He can see Aerith when no one else can.

There are two reunions. The OG explanation of Jenova's shit coming back together AND the coalescing of timelines. While that is happening, Sephiroth seems to have a specific goal in mind that pertains to his true self in-between worlds. The Black Materia is the focal point for this. He seemed to have orchestrated/set his sights on a timeline where the White Materia was neutralized and then didn't seem happy when Cloud brought another one into play. OG/AC Aerith is actively working against him through multiple timelines.

For interesting power-scaling purposes, we see that Sephiroth sends a Bizarro version of himself against everyone through multiple timelines. When it is defeated by Cloud solo, it moves into the timeline with the rest of the party present. When it is defeated there, it moves over to deal with Zack (aided by Aerith) in another timeline.

Cloud >= Zack (aided by Aerith) >= Rest of the Party > Bizarro Sephiroth.

Also, Cloud and OG/AC Aerith are able to pressure and put AC Sephiroth on the backfoot. It actually shows him going down to one knee before he flies off and then laughs.

I think the main difference in AC Sephiroth's motivation this time around is that he going to actively use the Black Materia to destroy the Lifestream and not just to injure the planet and try to absorb the spirit energy. He actively states that this was this desire in Advent Children. He probably realized that fucking around with half-measures isn't going to work. He has a near-equal in the timeline with Aerith. The Lifestream is defending itself with all of its resources. And Cloud & Company are actively trying to fuck his shit up at the same time. Now throw in Zack as another agent working to ensure his demise.

Punchsplosion

Limit Breakdancer
Another thing to note. The game actively confirms that the Black Materia is the strongest materia. It was the "greatest materia" before it was transformed as per the Gi and the Cetra's confirmation. This means that the Black Materia is greater than all summons (including KotR & Zirconiade) and the Protomateria (Used to summon the powers of Chaos and Omega WEAPON). This was inferred (labeled as the strongest destructive magic) previously but has been outright confirmed in Rebirth.

Punchsplosion

Limit Breakdancer
Prediction: Name of the last FF7 requel.

FF7: Remission

Meaning: Cancellation of a debt/charge/penalty. Diminution of the seriousness/intensity of disease/pain; a temporary recovery. Forgiveness of sins.

Also, repeating the ending mission...a re-mission. Stopping the Black Materia/Sephiroth/Jenova.

TrueG 37

Acclaimed
Prediction: Name of the last FF7 requel.

FF7: Remission

Meaning: Cancellation of a debt/charge/penalty. Diminution of the seriousness/intensity of disease/pain; a temporary recovery. Forgiveness of sins.

Also, repeating the ending mission...a re-mission. Stopping the Black Materia/Sephiroth/Jenova.
Imagine not expecting ff7: reunion. Couldn't be me smh :wow

Gordo

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Is the Promised Land the Lifestream?

To this day I never really got what it was, they’re very vague about it

Is the Promised Land the Lifestream?

To this day I never really got what it was, they’re very vague about it

The Promised Land is meant to actually just be metaphorical and not really a physical place.
The Promised Land is meant to be where you believe you should be, whether you belong there or you deserve to be there. Shinra and Sephiroth believed it was somewhere attainable but that's not the case.

TrueG 37

Acclaimed
I would if they didn't already use it for the latest Crisis Core. Literally Crisis Core Reunion. So, I don't think they are gonna do it twice.
Ah but consider SE doing this
5uuvtk.png

:skully

Gordo

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member

How do you hype up a villain like Genesis only to have him lose to Zack in CC?

Weiss is stronger than Zack, yet Genesis is treated as the Bigger Bad? If they ever do follow up on this, they’re gonna need to give him a big power up

ChaosTheory123

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member

How do you hype up a villain like Genesis only to have him lose to Zack in CC?

Weiss is stronger than Zack, yet Genesis is treated as the Bigger Bad? If they ever do follow up on this, they’re gonna need to give him a big power up

When is Weiss stronger than Zack? Especially now that he fought Sephiroth Reborn about as well as a Cloud that was already a coin toss vs Weiss in Midgar per Nomura.

Gordo

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
When is Weiss stronger than Zack? Especially now that he fought Sephiroth Reborn about as well as a Cloud that was already a coin toss vs Weiss in Midgar per Nomura.
Lore-wise Cloud is the same strength throughout the entire story. There is no Midgar Cloud, it’s just Cloud

The recent stuff from Rebirth does boost Zack to Weiss’ level, I will admit

Though the Cloud = Weiss thing should be just for base Weiss. Omega Weiss is definitely stronger

ChaosTheory123

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member
Lore-wise Cloud is the same strength throughout the entire story. There is no Midgar Cloud, it’s just Cloud

The recent stuff from Rebirth does boost Zack to Weiss’ level, I will admit

Though the Cloud = Weiss thing should be just for base Weiss. Omega Weiss is definitely stronger
Omnislash hasn't even reared its head yet lore wise, what you talking about? :maybe

Climhazzard/Ascension was Cloud's peak in Midgar, looking like Finishing Touch is Cloud's peak circa Temple of the Ancients.

Omega Weiss is just a power up akin to a final Limit Break given that's effectively how Chaos is treated. We know Chaos Vincent isn't some major game changer, he was Chaos in the final battle with Hojo and he still nodded to Cloud in ACC. DoC guidebook also refers to Cloud as the strongest for that point in the time line IIRC.

Chaos Vincent is vaguely WEAPON+ as is Omega in general. Doesn't make them able to match Omnislash or better.

Back