Subnautica feats, power & lore discussion thread

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Subnautica is a science fiction survival game set on an alien underwater planet. You play as Ryley Robinson after crash landing on Planet 4546B, and unfolds the mystery of said world, as you try to survive aquatic monsters, alien ruins and starvation. There is also a sequel called Subnautica: Below Zero.
tyoz0zX.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Fabricators can rearrange matter (both organic and inorganic) on an atomic level, and forms the backbone of society.
Fabrication technology is the power to rearrange matter at the atomic level. It was the catalyst behind the great expansion, and remains the backbone of the modern world.

Fabricators come in all shapes and sizes, but the most common are small enough to be wall-mounted, and are used for everything from constructing everyday implements to cooking dinner. It is common today for households to keep a store of generic base materials on hand for any eventuality.
Repair tools can stitch back wires and seems on an atomic level.
The repair tool can be targeted at any common device - control panels, habitat modules, radios etc. - to stitch wires and seams back together at the atomic level. All good technicians keep one of these under their pillow.
Most people don't care why it works, just that it saved their life that one time - but in case you're curious, it combines scanner and fabricator technologies to determine the proper specifications for the targeted object, and then rearranges the available physical material to match the original specs.
'The Alterra Repair Tool: Get your fix.'

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
You are capable of pushing around and even lifting boulders.

Reefback Leviathans are plankton feeding creatures that can grow over 30m long, with small ecosystems on their backs. IT's thought that their shells are so hard that anything capable of hunting them has gone extinct.
This vast lifeform is in excess of 30m long and has been designated leviathan class. Fortunately it feeds exclusively on plankton-like lifeforms in the water.

1. Chitinous Shell:
Most of the lifeform's topside and some of its underside is protected by a thick, layered exoskeleton. This suggests an evolutionary path quite different from other organisms on 4546B, most of which are vertebrate in nature. The reefback species has likely been able to grow far larger than other herbivores because anything large enough to break through its shell has long since gone extinct.

2. Enzyme Pods:
Similar in appearance to the algae glands of the gasopod, these organs on the reefback's underside serve some unknown purpose in its digestive system, and are capable of expelling small quantities of stomach enzymes into the surrounding waters.

3. Local Microcosm:
An array of different barnacle and plant species grow on the reefback's shell, thrusting their roots into ancient scars in the chitin, and taking advantage of their mobility to avoid predation. Nonetheless reefbacks will often be pursued by the faster, hungrier herbivores, and thus this leviathan species is a mobile microcosm worthy of years of study in itself.

4. Lifecycle:
Reefbacks's lifespans likely extend through many centuries, should they survive their initial growth cycle. For the first few decades their smaller size would make them vulnerable to carnivorous leviathans. Sociable, seen traveling in small pods and communicating by an echoing call, behavior is consistent with low-level sentience.

Assessment: Harbors plants, small fish and metal-rich barnacles

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Floaters can cause boulders to float, even boulders much bigger than themselves.
Two species living in symbiosis, which attach to and attempt to feed on any objects they come into contact with.

1. Dominant Lifeform:
The pink main body and inner suction jaw is the dominant creature. Once attached to an organism or other stable surface it will attempt to leech nutrients in order to grow.

2. Microorganism Membrane:
The outer, gel-like substance is a mesh of microorganisms capable of forming a sealed vacuum around the creature's jaws.

3. Helium Buffer:
A thin layer of helium is stored within the outer membrane, providing buoyancy to the floater and anything it is attached to.

Assessment: May aid in flotation of sunken objects
tpsxtdA.jpg
Ancient Floaters are even bigger colonies of creatures, and not only can they levitate much larger rock formations, but they can also attach to leviathans and in groups force them to the surface, then feast on the rotting carcass until it sinks to the bottom. If that's not enough, they can also keep entire land masses bouyant.
Biodata suggests these vast floaters have matured in an ingenious symbiosis with the land they have attached to.

- The attached landmass is raised in the water, increasing sunlight and encouraging plantgrowth
- As older plants decay, organic residues and nutrients seep into the rock and are consumed by the floater
- These circumstances must have held for thousands of years for a floater to reach this size

Lifecycle:
Immature floaters are borne near the surface, from where they sink to the seabed, attaching to any stable surface they find on the way. Those individuals fortunate enough to attach to a digestible nutrient source will grow in size, thus increasing their buoyancy and drawing whatever they are attached to closer to the surface.

In extreme circumstances a number of floaters may attach to a leviathan class lifeform, forcing it to the surface and effectively asphyxiating it. The body will be consumed over a number of months until eventually dissolving, leaving the floaters free to attach to a new host.

Those creatures which successfully raise a landmass to the surface are rewarded with a burgeoning and permanent food supply, allowing them finally to reproduce and begin the cycle again.

Assessment: Incredible
Q7FzNvZ.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Humanity has spread out across the Universe, with there being small trans-govs on the far side of the Andromeda galaxy.
xKqulAp.jpg
This is Sunbeam. Y'know, Aurora, we're from a little trans-gov on the far side of Andromeda, and we have a saying there.
There's no bad without the good, no good without the bad.
Sounds like you tasted a bunch of the former, but that only means you're overdue a whole lot of the latter.
Might just be we're it.
We're scanning for somewhere to park as we speak, we'll be in touch when we find it. Sunbeam out.
It takes the Sunbeam a week at sublight speeds to cross the star system to your location.
sBBjyMe.jpg
Solar panels are the most prevalent power sources in the galaxy.
36tvC1l.jpg
The Cyclops submersible is the most popular in the galaxy, and comes with its own on board AI.
w50LAwJ.jpg
The Auroras initial mission was to install a phasegate in the Ariadne Arm.
GUVit2I.jpg
The Aurora's engine undergoes a quantum explosion, causing the nearby ocean waters to become irratiated.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Warpers are artificial creatures that were created by an ancient alien race called the Precursors, who can warp themselves and others through space via portals.
An aggressive creature with the ability to teleport itself and others in space. No genetic crossover identified with indigenous lifeforms. Demonstrates no recognized defensive behavior.

1. Head:
Mechanisms located in the head region provide its warping capability, which it uses to stalk its targets.

2. Torso:
Appears to hunt other lifeforms, but no digestive organs have been identified. Internal structure considerably more complex than other known organisms. Unable to distinguish whether organic or artificial in nature.

Assessment: Further research required
wTK4TLO.jpg
Vc8eDGq.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The Doomsday Device contains enough energy to destroy not only the entire planet, but most of the star system. Thankfully, it has malfunctioned.
wLG2aTH.jpg
The Doomsday Device is small enough to be held in your hands (although you cannot access it).
jYnrp6o.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The AI that assists you can roughly translate new alien languages, which says that no infected individual can turn off the security system, as the entire planet is under quarentine.
gGvXZ13.jpg

f0uYyqw.jpg
The schematics of the Precursers exists across multidimensional space, which when mapped to three-dimensions says that the structure is made of an unknown ultra-hard substance, and is powered from a plant somewhere else on the planet.
mXHlqck.jpg

VRiAoDD.jpg
Ion Cubes are alien high energy sources.
XFXesuW.jpg
The Precursor cannon destroys the Sunbeam.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The Warp Cannon can manipulate gravity to attract and repel objects.
sEMKqJ9.jpg
The Propulsion Cannon can punch a hole through the wall of a spaceships cargo bay.
per07yv.jpg
The Grav Trap creates artificial gravity to attract small objects and creatures.
ud4yYEb.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
A creature (a warper? a Precursor?) appears before you and asks you what you are (and another example of shattering a rock).

Last edited:

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The Stasis Rifle can warp local physics and slow down time for the target to the point it appears that the target is frozen.
5hXCQcO.jpg

Kt04vvc.jpg
Several large ancient floaters keeping an entire island afloat.
VfCuzIC.jpg

4qjhFCH.jpg
The Warp Cannon in action against a living target.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The Vehicle Construction Bay creates a vehicle from atomic components in seconds.

Stalkers can lift metal salvage and swim with it.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Reaper Leviathans can grow over 55m long and their maniables crushing power exceeds the durability of the Seamoth.
LTaujEj.jpg

pUEyhu8.jpg
A Reaper Leviathan destroys a Seamoth submersible.

The Stasis Rifle can temporarily freeze a Reaper Leviathan in place.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
When you create and equip the Stasis Rifle, you learn that someone called Craig McGill survived crashing into the acid swamps of Boreal-9, fought of arachnid kidney-poachers and hijacked a tame starwhal.
uiv0Zlr.jpg

GgUyt3F.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The Water Filtration System takes undrinkable water and splits it into its component atoms, outputting water and salt which are fit for consumption. However, it has substantial power requirements.
tLPHnNF.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Thermal Plants convert heat energy into power, and can take temperatures of 800 degrees.
YxwJtrp.jpg
Ampeels can generate a powerful electrical current to incapacitate prey.
2kFTdJV.jpg
The Mongolian States are a minor (inter)galactic power on the edge of the China Territories.
eEUjGDR.jpg
Crabsquids can unleash an EMP, which they do whenever they see lights or technology.
p6qnKp8.jpg

gDqG8nV.jpg
An example of a Crabsquids EMP in action.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Reaper Leviathans can rip through metal lifepods that can withstand atmospheric re-enty.
1pk5ay8.jpg
The damage to the life pod in question.
ezsQ6R5.jpg

X8Uhm9C.jpg

V94NAZz.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Sealing the damage to the drive core on the Aurora will prevent an extinction level event (though this could be due to radiation as well).
OI3XoaX.jpg

Back