• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

The Elder Scrolls Feats and Discussion

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Looking over more official descriptions from the official Bethesda store and finding more things of interest. The Elder Scroll necklace describes an Elder Scroll as a 'glimpse of infinity.'
Mysterious. Unfathomable. Irresistible.

Wear a glimpse of infinity around your neck with your Hinged Elder Scrolls Necklace.
The Elder Scrolls are fragments of creation which contain knowledge of the past, present and future, and are unbound by time or mortal understanding.
This fragment of creation contains knowledge of the past, present, and future‚ unbound by time or mortal understanding. It is as beautiful as it is dangerous.

But the allure of beholding it far outweighs any peril it may bring.
Namiira is the Daedric Prince of the Scuttling Void, and the Mistress of Decay.
Raise your Elder Scrolls Online Namira Banner and sate your appetite for the blessings of the Mistress of Decay.
Show your faith in the Daedric Prince of the Scuttling Void. This flag bears the symbol of the bat that represents Namira, lord of sundry, dark, and shadowy spirits. She offers her blessings to those shunned by society: the diseased, the repugnant, and those who indulge in dreadful taboos.
The Necrom Lithograph depicts the same image as the official Shadow Over Morrowind desktop background, but with more added context; above the seas past Necrom lies the shadow over Morrowind (Hermaeus Mora).
Legend has it that a god-king slew a great and powerful beast, and from its remains rose the City of the Dead. So begins the rich history of Necrom in the eyes of those who worship the Tribunal. And now, in the latest yearlong chapter of The Elder Scrolls Online, a Daedric Prince turns its gaze upon the city.

This large and high-quality print presents a breathtaking view of the Dark Elves’ necropolis. The artwork’s composition leads your eye to the heart of the city, with its lofty walls and gleaming white towers. Around them are steep white cliffs surrounded by beautiful flora. Beyond them, the glimmering waters of the ocean. And above… is the shadow over Morrowind.
Shadow-Over-Necrom.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The Dawnbreaker Necklace refers to Meridia as the Lady of Infinite Energies.
  • Faithful to Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. This delicate item features the authentic, beautiful, and intricate design of the Dawnbreaker sword, complete with the weathered hilt and the guard’s fiery center. It’s as if it was granted to you by the Lady of Infinite Energies herself.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Now ain't this a haul? The Skyrim 10th anniversary lithograph features the same artwork as the desktop screensaver, but with a very description; the Last Dragonborn looks over the beautiful Skyrim night as a dragon flies distantly, and the three guardian constellations drift in the skies above, watching Dovahkiin and Skyrim and protecting their charges from the serpent, Alduin.
Gaze upon the night sky, the three guardian constellations watch over their charges; protecting them from the Serpent, Alduin the World Eater. The Mage, the Warrior, and the Thief stand watch in vigilance.

The limited production lithograph features artwork from the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. The constellations watch over Skyrim and the dragonborn. In the foreground, the dragonborn stares up at them as a dragon soars through the sky in the distance. The 10th anniversary logo shimmers in the foreground with a gold finish. Ready to frame, the lithograph is printed at a standard frame size.
Sky10-Ann-Hero-Mobile-bg.jpg
This would mean that Alduin is a threat not only to Nirn, but the very stars and constellations themselves (or at least the lesser constellations). It may also arguably tie Alduin to the Serpent Constellation.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The Forgemaster is a particularly powerful Dwemer Centurian which guards the Aetherium Forge. It can withstand boiling lava and shoots intense blasts of fire from its mouth.
If you survive the initial waves, the Forgemaster clambers up out of the lava pool to one side of the forge. Check the compass so you know which side he's coming from.
(Skyrim Prima, page 453)
VVtT0hs.gif

The Forgemaster is even bigger than a regular Centurion (being about 3 times the size of a person rather than just 2 times bigger).
Skyrim-20240117182052.jpg
The Forgemaster can swing it's hammer fist fast (which is a solid metal hammer bigger than a person).
gBkbW4V.gif

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Within Pinewatch (specifically in the Pinewatch Bandit's Sanctuary, in the tunnel after the sarcophigus chamber; which is visited as part of the Thieves Guild quest Silver Lining) is yet another iron dagger embedded into the wall, stabbed in place by Rigel Strong-Arm (there are also various other notes stuck into wooden walls too).
Skyrim-20240118174905.jpg

Skyrim-20240118174915.jpg

Skyrim-20240118174852.jpg
Warning said:
You've all been warned about trying to break into my treasure room, but Roars didn't think I was serious.

Now he's dead.

You've all had your cut of the take already, and if I catch any of you dung lickers trying to break in again, I won't let the traps kill you. I'll do it myself!

-- Rigel Strong-Arm
While this is just one of a long list of growing examples of embedded blades in stone I've found in Skyrim, it's so far only one of two weapons stuck in stone I've found which cannot be attributed to a legendary (or potentially legendary) figure, and out of those two, it's the only weapon which isn't enchanted; Rigel Strong-Arm is merely the chief leader of bandits. The Skyrim Prima
Skyrim Prima - Page 917 said:
Read one of the many notes that are pinned to the wall on your way to this area - it confirms the treachery hinted at before, as does another note on a table here.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
In the past is a prelude to the end of the world; the sky is a deep firey red, and rages of dragons take to the skies.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQP0nuwbuTM
a4ef7238-4f13-4483-80f4-9d06367bc6c4.gif

Skyrim-20240115162723.jpg
Skyrim-20240115162708.jpg
One of Alduin's allies says that today is the day that Alduin will reclaim his lordship.
Skyrim said:
Hakon: Gormlaith! We're running out of time! The battle...
Dragon: Daar sul thur se Alduin vokrii. Today Alduin's lordship will be restored. But I honor your courage. Krif voth ahkrin. Die now, in vain.
Hakon: For Skyrim!
Gormlaith: Know that Gormlaith sent you down to death!
Gormlaith has killed four dragons this day, but even to such mighty warriors Alduin would prove a threat, as Alduin cannot be slain like a lesser dragon, and Felldir believes Alduin to be beyond their strength.
Skyrim said:
Hakon: Why does Alduin hang back? We've staked everything on this plan of yours, old man.
Felldir: He will come. He cannot ignore our defiance. And why should he fear us, even now?
Gormlaith: We've bloodied him well. Four of his kin have fallen to my blade alone this day.
Felldir: But none have yet stood against Alduin himself. Galthor, Sorri, Birkir...
Gormlaith: They did not have Dragonrend. Once we bring him down, I promise I will have his head.
Felldir: You do not understand. Alduin cannot be slain like a lesser dragon. He is beyond our strength. Which is why I brought the Elder Scroll.
Even with Dragonrend, the ancient heroes aren't able to defeat Alduin, and Felldir uses the Elder Scroll to banish Alduin from time.
Skyrim said:
Hakon: No, damn you! It's no use! Use the Scroll, Felldir! Now!
Felldir: Hold, Alduin on the Wing! Sister Hawk, grant us your sacred breath to make this contract heard! Begone, World-Eater! By words with older bones than your own we break your perch on this age and send you out! You are banished! Alduin, we shout you out from all our endings unto the last!
Alduin: Faal Kel...?! Nikriinne...
Arriving back in the present, Alduin has seen your attempts to read the Elder Scroll, and attacks. Paarthunax attempts to intercept him, but is cut down.
Skyrim Prima - Page 226 said:
Something black and jaggad arcs through the blizzard. Alduin has seen your attempts at reading the Elder Scroll but returns too late to prevent you from learning the Shout that may be is downfall. Paarthunax attempts to intercept Alduin's attack but is cut down and lands heavily near you. He tells you to use the Dragonrend Shout if you can.
Alduin is completely invincible except when he's affected by Dragonrend.
Skyrim Prima - Page 227 said:
Waning! Alduin is completely invincible except when he's affect by Dragonrend!
However, you cannot slay him here, and Alduin, who is the World-Eater, arch-dragon and firstborn of Akatosh, flees, weakened by his battle with you.
Skyrim Prima - Page 227 said:
Alduin collapses to the ground after you deal him a particularly impressive blow. But the arch-dragon isn't some common serpent; he is the firstborn of Akatosh!
After defeating him the first time, Alduin will admit that you have become strong, but he is the firstborn of Akatosh, and cannot be slain here. This and the above highlights that Dragonrend in and of itself isn't enough to defeat Alduin, as the legendary heroes were still unable to deal such harm to him. In addition, one must also possess the power to bring harm to Alduin.
Skyrim said:
Alduin: Meyz mul, Dovahkiin. You have become strong. But I am Al-du-in, Firstborn of Akatosh! Mulaagi zok lot! I cannot be slain here, by you or anyone else! You cannot prevail against me. I will outlast you... mortal!

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
I somehow haven't posted this yet...when the Aedra sacrificed themselves to create the world, they made the laws of the world, such as Akatosh creating time. Magic is when someone (or something) channels magical energies and forces their will on reality, even if temporarily and locally. However, beings of mythological levels can change reality in big ways, such as a Dragonbreak, a planesmeld, an Oblivion Crisis or Alduin returning from the depths of time.

29:20
ESO Guild Summit 2014 - Writing and Lore said:
Lawrence Schick: It's not just Earth with some magic guys casting spells, right. The nature of reality is fundamentaly different in the world of Nirn, because it's based all the natural laws come from the sacrifices that the Aedra made when they made the world. So Akatosh, when he put himself into the world, he made time happen, right, and so forth and so on with all the different gods. So you've got this really seriously interesting mythological background about the nature of reality and how it was created, and how it can be changed, because it's not set forever. It can be further changed by those who can channel magicka and force their will upon it. Right, that's what magic is. Changing reality locally...sometimes locally usually temporarily but you're changing reality, and creatures and characters and beings of mythological levels can change reality in big ways! And that's what happens when you get a Dragonbreak, or a planemeld, or an Oblivion Crisis, or Alduin coming back from the depths of time. You've got reality changing in big ways. At the same time, you've got all of these people who unlike in sorta your standard medieval setting, they look at things in a very logical and scientific and organised fashion. You've got all these sages, you've got the mages guild researchers, you've got the scholars, and they're all breaking stuff down, and it gives a way...

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
I'm not sure if I've posted this before, but a huge interview about the making of Skyrim, which reveals and confirms a ton of information.

The developers chose to make Skyrim in Skyrim as they had more developed lore on Skyrim than other places.
1:16
The Making of Skyrim said:
Kurt Kuhlmann: One of the reasons we did Skyrim is because it had more developed lore than some of the other places. We've written more about it, there's more references in books. So we knew more about it, we had more of a starting point, and also, we thought it was cool.
4:08
Todd Howard: We haven't had dragons in the Elder Scrolls. We've had one in Redguard, but that game is set in the past. So they've kinda become these mythical creatures that people talk about, but you never quite see.
Alduin is a dark god, and he's returning to eat the world, not rule it.
Kurt Kuhlmann: The Nords have this god in their pantheon, Alduin.

Todd Howard: Alduin, who is this...I don't want to say evil, but dark, god, in the Elder Scrolls lore. He is a dragon.

Kurt Kuhlmann: In the ancient times he sorta ruled over the humans in this part of the world.

Bruce Nesmith: Alduin's Wall is sort of a history in stone, of the last time that dragons were seriously resisted by the human beings of the world, and it tells the story of how Alduin was defeated the first time.

Todd Howard: And the prophecy goes that "he will return and eat the world" ...well that's what happens in Skyrim!
Each dungeon has a story to tell, some a lot more subtle than others.
27:37
Ashley Cheng: Every dungeons going to tell some sort of story whether visually or through notes or books or the loot.

Kurt Kuhlmann: You might get literally a quest...where it's put in your journal. In some cases it's more of a freeform...you know you follow the clues, or you just learn the story of the dungeon by playing through it.

Bruce Nesmith: The implied stories to me are the ones that are some of the most interesting, 'cause there's not a word of dialogue spoken. There's just the environment, speaking speaking to you. So you go in, you see a body laying on its back, with an empty bottle clasped in it's claw and the bottle's in it's mouth and it's just laying there.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
In Hircine's Hunting Grounds, there is a red sun, rivers of what may literally be blood and large distant grazing creatures (from The Infernal City).
They burst into open sunlight and bounded over a stream as theyleft the forest behind and plunged downslope to a grassy savanna. Ared sun was just touching the horizon, painting bloody the river thatmeandered across the flatland. Of course, this was Oblivion, so itmight be blood. Off to what he presumed was the south, he saw a herd of some large beasts, but before he could figure out what they were,they were on the plain and he couldn’t make them out anymore.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
From The Infernal City, Sul and Attrebus travel across multiple Oblivion planes to reach Morrowind faster than Umbriel. Usually this multi-planar path starts in Azura's realm of Moonshadow and ends in Morrowind, but by using the remains of an Oblivion gate they were able to start in Dagon's realm of the Deadlands (in the middle of the trek). One of these realms is an infinite palace of coloured glass. Although this isn't the first time a realm of Oblivion is refered to as infinite, it's the first time (that I know of) where third person omniscient refers to a realm of Oblivion as infinite (and it certainly won't be the last).
“Stay together!” Sul shouted. He took a step, and again the unimaginable sensation, and now they were in utter darkness—but not silence, for all around them were chittering sounds and the staccato scurrying of hundreds of feet.
They were in an infinite palace of colored glass.
They were on an icy plane with a burning sky.
They were standing by a dark red river, and the smell of blood was nearly suffocating.
They were in the deepest forest Attrebus had ever seen.
He was braced for the next transition, but Sul was suddenly swearing.
“What?” Attrebus said. “Where are we? Is this still Oblivion?”
“Yes,” he said “We’ve been interrupted. He must have sniffed out my spoor and laid a trap.”
“What do you mean?”
“This is part of a trail I made to escape Oblivion,” he said. “It took me years to make it. It starts in Azura’s realm and ends in Morrowind. I used the sympathy of Dagon’s gate to enter his realm at the point my trail crossed it, so we really started in the middle. A few more turns and we would have been there. Now …”

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
First of all, credit to bendtome from CV for finding this...

There is actually a sidequest in ESO where you have to find the remains of someones partner after they were sent flying by a giant.
Feluf: Kyne's mercy … I'm so cold. You're not one of those giants. Run, before you wind up like me.
Vestige: I'm looking for Nelfthea.
Feluf:
Hmph, Magreta sent you, didn't she? Coward picked a perfect time to turn her backs on us. Not Nelfthea though. She stuck by us when we needed her. A Frostbite Raider to the end.
Vestige: Is she dead?
Feluf:
I don't know for certain. She was holding her own against those half-giant bastards, but the last thing I saw before they wrecked my lookout was a gods' honest Giant smash her clear off the docks. If that did her in, she's in Sovngarde for sure.
Vestige: Where did she fall?
Feluf: Northeast.
Where these monsters landed. You're a fool to go looking, but I hope you find Nelfthea alive. If not, I'll tell her you tried when I reach the Hall of Valor.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The book Twin Secrets recounts how Brarilu Theran defeated a dragon with his great skill at pyromancy in Vvardenfell, but let it live in exhange for knowledge on more secrets of enchanting. This is of note as it once again shows that dragons can be found outside Skyrim (people have brought into question why there are dragons in Elswyer, when even in Skyrim the shrines on the way up to High Hrothgar say that dragons seek to dominate the Mundus, and the first dragon we see in a TES game is in Hammerfell).
In my life, I've traveled widely. I've seen Summerset Isle, communed with Psijiics, walked the shores of Akavir. I had hoped to see lost Atmora before I passed, that is not to be. I have even done the unthinkable. I have spoken to a dragon.

Dragons are said to be gone from the world. Yet I found one. Sheltered in the smoking ruins of Vvardenfell, I came upon it. My magic proved to be sufficient to defeat the beast. If that gives you cause to wonder, I will not deny that I was once a pyromancer of great skill.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Odahviings flyby grab at a guard is enough to bring up a dustcloud (without even touching the ground). This should give us some insight to how much a dragon would weigh.
xaY2wSW.gif

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The website ESO Model Viewer allows you to see how big a character or creature is via their in-game model (as a note, X is across, Y is up and Z is back).

Mehrunes Dagon's avatar is 20.2m tall.
X 10.8 m・Y 20.2 m・Z 6.42 m
Green wamasus are 8.55m long including their tails and 5.18m long without them (and 2.20m tall).
Dimensions (with tail)
X 3.68 m・Y 2.20 m・Z 8.55 m
Dimensions (without tail)
X 3.68 m・Y 2.20 m・Z 5.18 m
Stone Husks are 5.14m tall.
X 5.94 m・Y 5.14 m・Z 1.83 m
Shadow Colossus are 4.03m tall.
X 2.56 m・Y 4.03 m・Z 1.82 m
Lurchers (of the blue variety) are 3.71m tall.
X 3.86 m・Y 3.71 m・Z 1.50 m
Iron Atronachs are 5.09m tall.
X 3.64 m・Y 5.09 m・Z 2.03 m
Inferniums are 4.66m long and 2.55m tall.
X 2.25 m・Y 2.55 m・Z 4.66 m
Fire Dragons are 9.45m tall, 31.80m long, 15.50m long without their tails and have a wingspam of 45.90m.
Dimensions (with wings and tail)
X 45.90 m・Y 9.45 m・Z 31.80 m
Dimensions (without wings and tail)
X 5.76 m・Y 9.45 m・Z 15.50 m
Haj Mota are 4.91m tall and 11.20m long with their tails, and 7.01m long without their tails (curiously, this also refers to this example as a small Haj Mota..
Dimensions (with tail)
X 4.87 m・Y 4.91 m・Z 11.20 m
Dimensions (without tail)
X 4.87 m・Y 4.91 m・Z 7.01 m
Frost Atronachs are 5m tall.
X 3.20 m・Y 5.00 m・Z 2.20 m
Dwemer Colossus are 6.19m tall.
X 6.28 m・Y 6.19 m・Z 3.77 m
The Aspect of Alkosh (seen in a strange ethereal realm) is 401m long, 164m tall and 242m wide.
X 242 m・Y 164 m・Z 401 m

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Odahviing flies you from Dragonreach in Whiterun to Skuldafn Temple in around 20 minutes (19 by my own reckoning, and even less when you take into account letting him finish talking).
jSn3Otk.gif

Screen-Shot-2024-01-24-at-12-28-33-pm.png

Screen-Shot-2024-01-24-at-12-28-36-pm.png
According to the Arena Manual, Tamriel is 3000km to 4000km East to West and 2000km to 3000km North to South.
The world of Tamriel is vast, roughly three to four thousand kilometers east to west and two to three thousand kilometers north to south.
Going from an in-universe source, Red Mountain can be seen from the city of Almalexia (or Mournhold) 250 miles (or 402.33600km) to the South.
The vast Volcano of Tamriel, this giant mountain dominates the north of Morrowind. It is a small continent all to itself, riven from the rest of Morrowind by the remains of a colossal crater. On a clear day (an exceedingly rare event), the peak can be seen from Almalexia, 250 miles to the south.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
UESP has transcribed a bunch of the Twitch streams I use as sources in full (although they've cut out some of the ums and ers and the questions from fans seem to be summerized, but for the most part it looks accurate to what I wrote out all so many years ago). Thank you for your incredible hard work!

Sotha Sil based his memory storage not so much on the Celestial Avatars, but to on the concept of constellations themselves, and how they can be used as a mnemonic to remember things (comparing it to the Method of Ioci). Lawrence Schick then concludes that Sotha Sil needs the entire astronomical cosmos for his memories (meaning that Clockwork City is astronomical in scope).
"Why did Sotha Sil design his memory storage after foreign gods, by which he means the Constellations, the Warrior, Mage, and Thief Constellations."
Lawrence: Okay, well if you think about it, it's not so much that these are references to the animated versions of the constellations that you meet in Craglorn, for example, but that the concept of Constellations themselves, a constellation is a memory device, it's a way to think about that organization of stars, and what does that represent, and how can you use that as a mnemonic. So constellations are actually, in themselves, a device for memory, and so using them as an application occurred to Sotha Sil, as a method of storing his own. It's kind of similar to the medieval memory mansion approach to just storing memories mentally by conceiving of this mansion that has different rooms, and you put different memories in different places in these different rooms. Sotha Sil needed the entire astronomical cosmos for his memories, so that's why he's chosen the star fields.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Vivec stopped the Ministry of Truth (Baar Dau) from crashing into Vivec City for centuries. After the fall of the Tribunal, and Vivec either died or vanished, the meteor remained, with its incredible velocity magically intact. When the ingenium exploded, Vuhon (and Sul) were hurled into Oblivion and Vvardenfall was destroyed.
Sul went rigid. “We will not speak of her,” he said in a low, dangerous tone. “There was once a place in Vivec City—the Ministry of Truth.”
“I’ve heard of it,” Attrebus said. “It was considered a wonder of the world. A moon from Oblivion, floating above the Temple District.”
“Yes. Held there by the power of our god, Vivec. But Vivec left, or was destroyed, and his power began to fade, and with it the spells that kept the velocity of the ministry in check.”
“What do you mean?”
“It fell from the sky, you understand? It was traveling quickly, more quickly than you can imagine. Vivec stopped it with the power of his will. But the velocity was still there, ready to be unleashed. Do you see what that meant?”
“You’re saying it would complete its fall as if it had never been interrupted.”

“That’s what our best feared, yes. And one of our best was Vuhon. Along with others, he built an ingenium, a machine that continued to hold the ministry aloft. But there was a … cost.”
“What cost?”

“The ingenium required souls to function.”
Attrebus felt pinpricks along his spine.
“Umbriel—Annaïg says it takes the souls of the living …”
“You see?”
“But what happened?”
Sul was silent for so long this time that Attrebus thought he wouldn’t speak again, but he finally sighed.
“The ingenium exploded. It hurled Vuhon into Oblivion. Then the ministry crashed into the city, and Vvardenfell exploded.”
The Ingenium was powered by souls, and in return Vile puts forth energy from his realm to keep Baar Dau aloft.
“The ingenium used souls to keep a sort of vent into Oblivion open, specifically into the realm of the daedra prince, Clavicus Vile. You know of him, I assume?”
“Of course. He has a shrine not far from the Imperial City. They say you can make a pact with him, given the right cantations.”
“That’s true,” Sul agreed. “Although a pact with Vile is one you’re likely to regret. He’s not the most amiable of Oblivion princes.”
“And yet he allowed Vuhon to draw energies from his realm?”
Sul cracked his neck. “Vile has a thing for souls,” he said, “and if he noticed the rift at all, he probably enjoyed what was coming through more than he missed the energies going out. It’s even possible that Vuhon made a formal bargain with the prince. I just don’t know.”
Clavicus Vile changed the nature of the boundaries of his realm to prevent Umbra from escaping, but Umbra found a loophole with the rift to the ingenium. He (or it) tried to enlarge the rift, but with no success, so when Vuhon and Sul came through Umbra threw the sword through. Umbra stole a large part of Viles power, but not enough to make him stronger than Vile, or to escape his realm after Vile changed the rules to keep it in.
"Clavicus Vile circumscribed his realm to change the nature of its barriers, trapping Umbra within. However, Umbra found a loophole and escaped.
“He called himself Umbra, and like Vile, he had a thing for souls. He’d been attracted to the rift by the ingenium and had even tried to enlarge it, with no success. So he’d cast a fortune and learned that a day was coming when it would briefly widen, and so there he was.”
“Apparently. Umbra took us captive—he was powerful, almost as powerful as a daedra prince. In fact, it was the power of a daedra prince—he’d somehow managed to cut a piece from Clavicus Vile himself.”
“Cut a piece? Of a daedra prince?”
“Not a physical piece, like an arm or a heart,” Sul clarified. “Daedra aren’t physical beings like you and me. But the effect was similar—Vile was, in a sense, injured. Badly so. And Umbra became stronger, though still not so strong as Vile. Not strong enough to escape his realm once Vile circumscribed it against him.
“Circumscribed?”
“Changed the nature of the ‘walls’ of his realm, made them absolutely impermeable to Umbra and the power he had stolen. Understand, at all costs the prince didn’t want Umbra to escape. The circumscription was so strong he couldn’t even go through the rift himself—but the sword could.”
“Again, why the sword?” Attrebus wondered.
“Umbra claimed to have once been captive in the weapon. He feared that if Vile got his hands on it, he would return him to it.”
“This is making me dizzy,” Attrebus said.
Umbra used his stolen power to hide himself from Vile in one of the cities on the fringes of his realm, but he still couldn't escape. So, as a loophole, they twisted the fabric of the realm around them and escaped, still technically in Viles realm (of the Fields of Regret).
“But you wanted to hear everything, remember?” Sul snapped. “Well, let’s keep it simple then, shall we? Clavicus Vile was nursing his wounds and hunting for Umbra. Umbra used his stolen power to conceal himself in one of the cities at the fringe of Vile’s realm. But he still couldn’t escape. Vuhon promised him that if Umbra spared his life, he would build a new ingenium, capable of escaping even Vile’s circumscription. Umbra agreed, and I suppose that’s what they did.”

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
After Sul escaped, Vile made it so no one could escape his realm at all and tightened his grip even further. As such, Vuhon uses a new ingenium powered by Umbra and warped the fabric of Viles realm around it, and twisted it until it broke away like a bubble. Umbriel drifted through realms beyond even Oblivion, and Umbriel becomes a tiny pocket universe into itself, using the ingenium as a way to take them through the long spaces between worlds.
“Vile had made it impossible for Umbra to leave his realm, and after your escape, Sul, he tightened his walls further so that I couldn’t leave either, even if I’d had the means.The only way to escape was to circumvent his restriction, to remain in his realm, at least in a way. I built my ingenium, I powered it with Umbra and the energies he had stolen from Vile. I turned our city, wrapped those circumscribed walls around it. Twisted it like a sausage maker twists a casing to form a link, the way a child might an inflated pig’s bladder to form a double ball. Twisted it until it broke loose, like a bubble.”
He bit one of the caterpillars, and it exploded into a butterfly, which he caught by the wing and devoured.
“That was a long time ago,” he went on. “We’ve drifted through many realms and places beyond even Oblivion. We cannot leave the city—Vile’s circumscription still surrounds it. Nor would I want to leave it—I’ve come to love this place I built. To survive in those long spaces between the worlds, we had to become a little universe of our own, a self-sustaining cycle of life and death and rebirth, a continuum of matter and spirit—all powered, manipulated, mediated by my ingenium. We’ve moved beyond the inefficiency some call ‘natural,’ and in doing so approach perfection. Everything here is in a real sense a part of everything else, because all flows from the ingenium.”
Beyond the Mundus Umbra and its inhabitants required little to no sustenance, but on Nirn they require much more. Despite this limitation, they came here as it's the one place Vile cannot follow with his full power.
“Not so self-sustaining,” he countered. “Your world feeds on souls from the outside world.”
Vuhon nodded. “I said we ‘approach’ perfection. Beyond Mundus, our need for sustenance is minimal. In some places, not necessary at all. Here, on this heavy plane of clay and lead, much more is required.”
Then why have you come here?”
“Because this is one place that Clavicus Vile cannot pursue us, at least not in the fullness of his power.”

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Umbra is a bubble of Oblivion in the Mundus.
No, we remain a sort of bubble of Oblivion in Mundus, and as such we’re vulnerable. But I’ve found a way to change that, and to be free of Clavicus Vile forever.”
Vuhon tells Attrebus to tell his father the Emperor to abandon the Imperial City so that Umbra can reach the White-Gold Tower and seperate itself from Clavicus Vile.
"Regrettably, I must attack the Imperial City. I suspect they will resist.”
“Why must you attack the city?”
“I need the city,” Vuhon said. “Specifically, I need to reach the White-Gold Tower. Then all of this can end. The dying can stop, and I can bring Umbriel to rest somewhere. If you want to save lives, all you need do is convince your father not to fight—better yet, to evacuate.”

Back