• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

The Elder Scrolls Feats and Discussion

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
I may have mentioned this before, but it's super cool so I'll bring it up again; the Aylieds had airships.
ZNZsDND.jpg
You can actually visit the remains of this ship.
kFefLk4.jpg
You even speak with the undead captain of the ship (Captain Nym), who describes the experience of chasing Star Teeth across the skies.
Captain Nym: The Chieftain kept a Star Tooth in the chest near him. If you have all seven now, then you are ready to challenge the last corruption of shadow, the Umbra' Keth in the Crypt of Hearts.
Soul of Conflict: I have seven.
Captain Nym:
They are fire gods, fire gods from the night sky. You haven't lived until you have chased them…
Clouds beneath your feet, wind to your back, crew racing the rigging as you pursue that brilliant flare descending toward the horizon.
But the fire is yours now. I am proud it is with someone so worthy. I will be content with the decks of my ship now.
Soul of Conflict: Goodbye, Captain.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Mercer Frey knocks down a massive stone tower, which he is able to do with the Skeleton Key unlocking the powers within his mind.
XxdHW9z.jpg

dAw443O.jpg

jJv6HEZ.jpg

U8N9Q3U.jpg
Mercer Frey causes an earthquake that shakes the entire room containing the statue of a pre-fallen Falmer, causing boulders to fall from the ceiling, pipes to break and the stone platform you're standing on to collapse.
EJsfMix.gif
e7RDKtC.gif
Mercer does this via a "shock-wave-type spell" which disrupts and destabilizes the massive chamber.
Although Karliah and Bryniolf attempt silence, Mercer Frey finishes prying out the statue's massive eyes, notices you all, and casts a Shock-Wave-type Spell that disrupts and destabilizes the massive chamber. The pipes in the ceiling burst, and water floods the Chamber to about ankle depth. There's an immediate rumbling as you tumble down from the ledge, which splits apart, leaving your brethren stranded.
(Skyrim Prima, page 300)
By using the power of the Skeleton Key, you are able to move into the Twilight Sepulcher's Inner Sanctum proper; your surroundings dissolve and you end up in a murky otherworldy room.
ugSvkdu.gif

The Skyrim Prima confirms that this place is an alternate version of the pit chamber (which seems to exist somewhere between Skyrim and the Ebonmere).
You seem trapped but are soon whisked away to an alternate version of the pit chamber by the magic of the Skeleton Key that you posses.
(Skyrim Prima, page 907)

As a final note for now on the Thieves Guild questline, Karliah's Bow, which has been used as so many downplays against Dovahkiin (who's not yet at full power), is not only made of ebony, but it's enchanted.
FhiB2ep.jpg

Last edited:

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
TES has aliens! And not just mentioned in a book or a OOG text, but encountered directly in the games! On the Moon of Massar (plane of Jode), you can see strange blue glowing plants, as well as grass with similar glowing blue flowers and strange ferns & vines.

3d6mERS.png

04l4uoS.png

VxDGA34.png

7W4QXk5.png

Nx3xWJ2.png

WxqeZqe.png
There are also mysterious entities called Moon-Sentinels on the moon, which appear to resemble Khajiit.
The Moon-Sentinel's Arc is a powerful bow of such entities.
A mighty bow wielded by the ancient and mysterious Moon Sentinels on the Plane of Jode.
Nixids can also apparently be found on Jode/Massar.

Could the Khajiit have been responsible for the Moon-Sentinels? Could they have seeded life on Jode with their ancient lunar colonies? Or could life in Elsywer or even Nirn as a whole have been seeded from Jode/Massar or another plane(t)?

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
This is not the only example of interplane(t)ary settlements; the rogue plane(t) of Baan Dar houses the Five Fingered Dance, which has been settled by worshippers and demigod children of Baan Dar. Life on this world appears much closer to that familiar with in hotter regions of Nirn (perhaps Baan Dar himself made it to be so to make it easier for his worshippers), with oasis's palm trees and other plantlife, and even chickens! At a guess, I'd say the flora was most likely made by Baan Dar himself for his worshippers, other else seeded by his worshippers.
ON-place-The-Five-Finger-Dance.jpg

iPUQBHf.jpg

WfzmoTf.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Because the original links were fucked with, Hircine turns Secunda red during the Bloodmoon (which later returns to its natural state). Also the entire glacier is destroyed.

Hircine-turns-the-moons-red.gif

Glacier-destroyed-1.gif

Glacier-destroyed-2.gif

Glacier-destroyed-3.gif

Bloodmoon-fades.gif

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
ESO isn't the only story coming to the TES universe next year; Betrayal of the Second Era is looking very promising. As with every TES spinoff, the creators have been working closely with Zenimax and Bethesda to make sure everything is approved of; infact, almost 99% of the lore that's been submitted has been directly approved, with only a few bits left to iron out with guidance from Zenimax and Bethesda. They are also considering even more expansions in the future.
November/December/Holiday Update!: More great progress :-) said:
If you don't care to read the entirety of the update, here's the quick synopsis:

• Major progress on art
  • Playtesting set to wrap by or before the end of January
- 99% of the game has been seen and either approved by Bethesda/ZeniMax, or received guidance on how to bring to an approvable state
  • We demoed the game publicly for the first time at PAX Unplugged
  • UX/graphic treatments for all game materials are approved
  • We hope to have a full working rulebook (meaning with graphic treatments and near final text) and How to Play book around the end of January
Approvals

We've been submitting ALL the things to Bethesda/ZeniMax, and by "ALL the things," we truly mean ALL.

Given the game is content complete (see last update), we are really getting into the final stages of the approval process. No longer are we asking for approval on ideas, broad strokes, and story themes. Now, we are submitting the entirety of the game's text, storyline, quests, side quests, and flavor text. It's a lot. Thankfully, as we've gone further through this process, things have gotten a heck of a lot smoother. We're very excited to report that Bethesda has now seen the entirety of the game's text (aside from a handful of town descriptions, which honestly are the smallest and easiest bits). At this point, roughly 98% of the game has either had an initial approval or had guidance given on what needs to change to gain approval. That is a HUGE hurdle that we've cleared.

We also have received approval on nearly all of the UX/graphical treatments for things like encounter cards, race cards, class cards, etc. You'll see some examples below - though we'd note that the text and icons on all of these should be considered placeholder, as our designers have not yet started moving final approved text to final components just yet (with a few exceptions). Perfect example: The class card below is labeled "Quartermaster," but no such class exists in the game. The name was used because it's a class name we're considering in a future expansion release, and we wanted our graphics designers to know what the longest possible class name might be. The abilities, meanwhile, are taken from earlier draft versions multiple actual classes that will be in the core box.
This will also be the case with all of the art for the game, of which there are hundreds of new pieces.
Art

This. Game. Has. So. Much. Original. Art!

Looking at the hundreds of unique art pieces required for this game, we still question now and then if we weren't slightly out of our minds for not simply using existing game art, but we felt very strongly that as incredible as that art may be, we're not trying to simply bring a video game to the table. We truly want BotSE to add additional new and rich layers to the world of Tamriel and The Elder Scrolls franchise as seen through our designers, developers, and artists eyes. To do that, we knew from the outset that original art was necessary. And the teams at Bethesda and ZeniMax have been amazing at working with us to guide that desire in a way that is true to the world they've created.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
There is an enchanted dagger embedded into the brickwork near a sacrificial circle in the Midden. This is the first example of an enchanted sword in stone that I've found.
Skyrim-20231224195251.jpg

Skyrim-20231224195234.jpg

Skyrim-20231224195318.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Clues for the next ESO expansion are being unveiled! Different people of great reknowned in the TES community got a different fragment of a wheel of symbols (including something similar to the Mages Eye associated with the Mages Guild and the Mages College, the Eye of Hermaeus Mora, the Symbol of Fargrave, Symbols resembling that of Jephre, trees which perhaps represent the vanished city of Falinesti, a symbol similar to that of the Order of the Hours, another which resembles the helmpiece of Mephala and what looks to be the symbol of Meridia in the centre).

The letter itself makes reference to Bosmer who have abandoned the Green Pact, who's plans are related to the fragments above, with the meeting to be in Graftwood (a region of Valenwood).

Adventurer.

Gather your allies and head for the southwest coast. I'm investigating a band of my kin that has abandoned the Pact and I require your assistance. They're well-armed and clearly dangerous, so be careful.

From what I could discern of their plans, is has something to do with the fragment included with this letter. Examine it closely and report your findings back to me personally in Grahtwood. Perhaps we can solve this puzzle together.

Don't allow any would-be emperors or Saliache ruins to delay you. And don't tell my sister. She's perfectly capable of finding trouble without your help

Beragon
This chapter will conclude the story that began with Necrom, and from the looks of it includes more Princes, the Greenpact, the Earthbones and more. This is going to be a big year (with things that seem to have been built up for as long as ESO has been around perhaps being revealed). More will be revealed on the 18th of January, so stay tuned!

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
From The Infernal City. The Thalmors ultimate goals are to bring about another Merithic Era, which has been known to the Empire for some time.
“Why not? They’re vicious enough, and we have information, do we not, that they are supplied and funded by our ‘quiet enemies’?”
“You mean the Thalmor, majesty.”
“They are in everything, these days.”
“And yet I don’t see how killing your son advances their aims.”
“Who are you to say what their aims are?” Vel snapped. “You’veonly been an inspector for a month.”
“Yes, sir, that’s true. But my training focus was the Thalmor.”
“Which does not include—by any means—everything we knowabout them. Their aims are obscure.”
“I respectfully disagree, sir. I may well not be privy to many details,but their goal is clear—the pacification and purification of all of Tamriel—to bring about a new Merithic era.”
“We have an inkling of their long-term goals, Inspector, but their intermediate plans are less scrutable.”
Attrebus is ambushed, and half of his men are set ablaze by blue flames (Attrebus has 52 people with him, so the fire hits about 26 automatically).
He was still thinking about that an hour later when he heard a dull whump and half of his men caught fire. For a moment he could only stare, as if watching a theatric. He saw Eres and Klau staggering, beating their hands at the blue flames that engulfed them, their mouths working to produce sounds unrecognizable as human. There was Gulan, not burning but trying to beat the fire off of Pash, but then he suddenly had strange quills growing from his back.
It finally settled through to his brain that they were ambushed, andhe drew his sword, looking wildly for the enemy as arrows came whirring from every direction. Radhasa was still next to him, her own weapon drawn and an odd look of joy on her face.
Looking over the devastation from the ambush attack later, it's noted that a sizable fraction of those travelling with Attrebus had been immolated by what is presumably sorcerous flames.
Most had been struck by arrows and had either died of that or of having their throats very professionally slit later. A sizable fraction had been immolated, presumably by sorcery. The attackers, interestingly, either hadn’t had any casualties or—if they had—didn’t leave them behind.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The inhabitants of Umbriel (formerly of the Fields of Regret), don't recognise what stars are, so Annaig tells her that some people believe the stars to be holes in the Mundus leading to Aetherius, while others believe them to be fragments of Magnus who was the architect of the world (though the two theories are usually put together, it's interesting in this case it's holes in the sky or fragments of Magnus).
“To the palaces? No. But it is my dream to.” She looked up and her forehead wrinkled. “What are those?” she asked.
Annaïg followed her regard up to the small patch of night sky.
“Stars,” she said. “Haven’t you ever seen stars before?”
“No. What are they?”
“Depends on who you ask or what books you read. Some say they are tiny holes in Mundus, the world, and the light we see is Aetherius beyond. Others believe they are fragments of Magnus, who made the world.”

Last edited:

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
An attack from an upper kitchen on a lower one (to capture Annaig), during which the door is vaporized into a drifting vapor, and a monster like a lion the size of a bull with a thousand eyes on squirming stalks comes through, which is them itself disintergrated by the packages the chefs laid as explosive traps around the doo (turning into fire, cold, force and vitriol).
The door glowed white-hot for an instant, then turned into a drifting vapor.
“Ready!” Qijne repeated.For a few heartbeats nothing happened.
Then a monster leapt through the door. Annaïg’s first impression was of a bull-sized lion with a thousand eyes set on squirming stalks. She had no second impression, for the packages Qijne’s people had scattered in front of the door suddenly revealed their natures and became variously fire, force, cold, and vitriol. The monster, whatever it was, was disintegrated.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Yet another example of a blade embedded in stone! This example is a Forsworn Axe, and can be found at Lost Valley Redoubt, where it had been used to execute unfortunate Nord prisoners.
psZJzNd.jpg

LE76StM.jpg

cxX5UP1.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
At the top of the Throat of the World, you can find the Notched Pickaxe embedded into the stone.
EiBsA9a.jpg

VMlpOUk.jpg
Just below the peak is a vein of rare Malachite (Glass) ore, and a unique pickaxe is imbedded in the rock way up for a nice little bonus for completing your epic climb!
(Skyrim Prima, page 866)

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
From The Infernal City, Khajiit were once believed (and still are believed) to be a type of Mer, and their physiology is directly affected by the phases of the Moons. Attrebus and Sul meet multiple khajiit of different forms, ranging from Senche to Ohme.
The Infernal City said:
Attrebus had known many Khajiit, of course. Some of his guard had been of the cat-people, and they were common enough in the Empire. But he had never seen any quite like this.
What struck his eye first were their mounts—monstrous cats that stood as high as a large horse at the shoulder. Their forelimbs were asthick as columns and half again as long as their rears, giving them an apelike appearance. Their coats were tawny, ribboned with stripes the color of dried blood, and their feral yellow eyes seemed to promise evisceration—and that was only to start with.
Two of the riders seemed hardly less bestial, although they wore shirts that covered their torsos, and cravats around their necks. Where their fur was visible, it was pale yellowish-green spotted with black. Their faces were altogether more catlike than any Khajiit he'd ever met, and they slouched forward on their mounts.
The third rider was more like what Attrebus was used to, with features that were more manlike, although still unmistakably feline. And the final rider had such fine, delicate features, she might easily have been of merish blood, had her face not been splotched with irregular black rings.
The Infernal City said:
"I am Lesspa," she said. "Our clan is F'aashe." She motioned with her knuckles toward the Khajiit to her left. "She is M'kai, my sister.There is Taaj, my maternal cousin. There is Sha'jal, my brother …"
Attrebus blinked. She seemed to be indicating one of the mounts.
He remembered something now, from his lessons as a boy—or was it the story his nurse had told him, about the four Khajiit and theriding kite?
He didn't know anything about these people at all, did he?
The Infernal City said:
"Lesspa doesn't look like she's all that different from us."
Sul snorted. "Some used to think that the Khajiit were another variety of mer. But it's the moons—the phases they're in when the kitsare born determines how they turn out."
"So the mount—that really is her brother? They had the same parents?"
"Yes. But I'd stay away from that subject, if I were you. It's too easy to say the wrong thing."

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The Synod intended to repurpose the Dwemer Orrery at Mzulft to find artifacts of great power. However, only two showed up on the map of Tamriel; the Eye of Magnus and the Staff of Magnus.
Paratus Decimius: Years of work, finally going to pay off… …but what's this? These results… They're not at all what they should be. This projection should be lit up like the night sky… Something is creating an incredible amount of interference. Something in Winterhold, it looks like. What are you playing at? Is this some attempt to stall my work?!
Paratus Decimius: I can't explain the details. That would be giving away many secrets the Synod have learned over the years. Also, I doubt you'd be able to comprehend the details. Have you ever seen the Orrery in the Imperial City? It was the inspiration for this idea. Instead of projecting the sky, we project all of Tamriel, and then harness the latent energies to overlay the positions of… What's important is that all of this work was designed to reveal to us sources of great magical power. Purely to help safeguard the Empire, of course. And yet, in the end, only two locations have been revealed to us. One is your College. The other… Well, that can only be Labyrinthian.
Paratus Decimius: Go wrong? Go wrong? Everything is wrong! Everything! Whatever you have at that College has completely interfered with out work here.
Dovahkiin: I don't know what you're talking about.
Paratus Decimius:
You show up here, just as our work nears completion, and now I can't get any results from this because of something at your College. Do you think me a fool? Do you think I'm too stupid to make the connection?
How did you do it?
Dovahkiin: I haven't done anything, I swear.
Paratus Decimius:
But it must be something you're doing. There's no other explanation…
Dovahkiin: I don't understand why you're so upset.
Paratus Decimius:
Just look! This should be lit up brighter than the night sky, and it's not! Clearly you've interfered somehow. Or…
You have something at your College, don't you? Something immensely powerful. Beyond anything I'd anticipated. What is it?
This map includes almost all of Tamriel expect the Southern parts, including most of Elsywer, Valenwood, Summerset and Black Marsh, as well as Southern Cyrodiil.
Skyrim-20231228221110.jpg
The implication behind this is that the Eye of Magnus and the Staff of Magnus are the most powerful artifacts in (Northern) Tamriel (or at least the most infused with magic, which is the same difference). This would include at least two Elder Scrolls, Keening & Sunder, the Bow of Auri-El and almost every Daedric Artifact. Although a case can be made for some of these artifacts not being at full power (such as Dawnbreaker), others still do have powerful effects (the Elder Scrolls effects on time, Azura's Star having an entire ethereal realm of seemingly infinite extent inside it and the Bow of Auriel having the power to cause the tyranny of the Sun).

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
ESO: Gold Roads has been announced! The first new Prince since Jyggalag! Jungled Cyrodiil! Continuing the story from Necrom, Ithelia's return is a threat to reality itself! Although this story is a follow on from Necrom, it can also be played stand alone.
A secret long held by Hermaeus Mora has been uncovered and the existence of the Forgotten Prince has come to light. Now, Ithelia’s return puts reality itself at risk.
The two dungeons which prelude to Gold Road, which include a training ground for the followers of Malacath and a secret vault within Fa-Nui-Hens demi-realm of Maelstrom.
These dungeons allow you to explore a training ground for the followers of Malacath and a secret vault within the Oblivion demi-realm of Maelstrom. Both dungeons help set the stage for the upcoming Chapter in their own way, but their storylines can be enjoyed individually, too.
In the West Weald, (seemingly) overnight, the jungles of Valenwood have replaced a third of the regions temperate climates.
Ruled by the Colovian Count Calantius, this province is an independent nation allied to the Imperial forces occupying nearby Cyrodiil. However, seemingly overnight, the sweltering jungles of Valenwood have replaced a third of the region, and the Count seeks answers to avoid losing any more of his realm.
Ithelia herself now walks the West Wead, and reality itself hangs in the balance.
While her followers cause chaos in her name, many mysteries remain. Why does she now walk West Weald, and what are her Scions’ plans for her return? Reality itself hangs in the balance! While it continues a narrative that began in 2023, like Scions of Ithelia, Gold Road tells its own stand-alone tale and does not require having played the Necrom Chapter.
The Forgotten Prince may soon return to power, and fate itself trembles in anticipation.
The Forgotten Prince may soon return to power, and fate itself trembles in anticipation. What impact will you, a mortal adventurer, have on West Weald and its myriad threats? You’ll have to play Gold Road to find out!
Returning to the West Weald for the first time since Oblivion, the region has been thrown into chaos, with the very landscape itself changing.
Recently, strange happenings have thrown the region into turmoil, changing the landscape in bizarre ways and introducing new threats you’ll have to contend with. In the southeast lies the Gold Road, a temperate environment similar to that found on the Gold Coast. It's home to the region’s capital city, Skingrad, the bustling center of the zone and lynchpin for the Colovian Imperials who call the province home.
Toward the southwest, you will find Dawnwood. Formerly under Imperial control, this area is now home to the encroaching jungles of nearby Valenwood. There, you’ll discover a dense wilderness and the Wood Elf settlement of Vashabar. Even more alarming is the Wildburn, a dangerous area that separates Dawnwood from the Colovian Highlands and Gold Road, comprised of sickened, magically twisted land and even more warped beasts.
While the land itself is changing, it is also under attack from a host of new, unfamiliar foes, bringing all-new dangers to West Weald’s adventurers.
Gold Roads will also introduce Scribing, in which you can customise your powers and abilities (such as to better suit your roleplaying needs).
With Scribing, you can manipulate the nature of magic itself by collecting and customizing special skills, granting you even more ways to tailor specific builds and play your way.
When designing this new system, the team focused on improving opportunities for roleplay and choice for ESO’s adventurers by providing greater agency when it comes to selecting and adapting the skills that are right for them. What exactly does this mean for you and your characters? Scribing introduces Grimoires, which are new types of skills for your existing skill lines. You can customize these Grimoires beyond their basic functions, transforming them into exactly what you want on your action bar.
Of course, a new ESO chapter means a new cinematic trailer! Torvesard uses a powerful staff to free Ithelia, and teleport to where her prison was located.

The Nord Champion lifts a fallen stone pillar/slab of rock bigger than himself.
Nord-lifts-pillar.gif

The Nord hero is pushed off the cliff, and shatters part of the rocky path as he falls with his fist.
Nord-hero-shatters-path.gif

Ithelia herself makes her first appearence.
Screen-Shot-2024-01-19-at-9-28-49-am.png
Screen-Shot-2024-01-19-at-9-29-08-am.png
Finally, some screenshots I took from the announcement event! For some of these I should go back and get more context, but a lot of it will be revealed more throughout the year. Let's start with a repeat of the fact that reality itself is under attack.

eqxKUtS.png
Ithelia is believed to have a connection with the Aylieds.
vuprVhy.png

io4uG4B.png

tmiRnN5.png

0Rxphm8.png

Z4Pw3pA.png

PzuQ7PL.png

anOskWo.png
New Daedra associated directly with Ithelia are prowling the West Weald, including Shardborn and aspects of Ithelia hailing from the mysterious realm of Mirrormoor (which we can only assume is the Reallm of Ithelia).
Screen-Shot-2024-01-19-at-8-21-36-am.png

Screen-Shot-2024-01-19-at-8-21-39-am.png

Screen-Shot-2024-01-19-at-8-21-43-am.png
Later this year will see more housing updates and two new companions, as well as a PvP update. More news as the story unfolds!

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
If more confirmation is needed, Ithelia's realm is Mirrormoor.

The flavour text to a statue of Ithelia says she's able to reshape reality to her whim and holds the Threads of Fate in her hands.
Ithelia—the Unseen, Mistress of the Untraveled Road, the Prince that was forgotten—is now remembered. In her hands, the Threads of Fate bend and flow. Reality changes at her whim. She was Hermaeus Mora's best-kept secret, her memory erased even from the minds of other Daedric Princes. Until now.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Gold Road will feature 'supernatural threats on the same scale of Summerset and Greymoor' and 'assaults on the West Weald as powerful as any firey dragon attack in Elsweyr'.
CdGcdrs.png

3iOHUaI.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Ancano with the Eye of Magnus has the power to unmake the world at his fingertips.
Skyrim said:
Ancano: You've come for me, have you?, You think I don't know what you're up to? You think I can't destroy you? The power to unmake the world at my fingertips, and you think you can do anything about it?
The Skyrim Prima confirms this, saying Ancano taps into the full and incredible power of the eye, and Tolfdir's fireball does nothing to him before Ancano paralyzes him and any followers who've come with you for the duration of the fight.
Skyrim Prima - Page 266 said:
Upon arriving at the Hall of the Elements, Ancano is well aware of your presence. The mad elf spots you and Tolfdir, taunting you and crowing that he's so far beyond your pitiful attempts at magic that you cannot even touch him. Unfortunately, this is true, as you both find out when Tolfdir's aimed fireball dissipates harmlessly. The old mage has just enough time to tell you to bring out the Staff of Magnus and use it on the Eye before an enraged Ancano strikes him - and anyone else (such as Followers) in your vicinity - with a Mass Paralysis spell, leaving you standing alone. Ancano decides to finish you himself, opening the Eye of Magnus and tapping into its full and incredible power.

Defeating Ancano: While Ancano opens the Eye, he's still invincible. Wait until the Eye is fully open. Wheti this occurs, a casting from your Staff of Magnus absorbs its energy, and the Eye begins to close. Now is the time to thwart Ancano! Strike often and hard, because eventually the Eye reopens and Ancano becomes invincible again. When the Eye is pried open a second time, several Magic Anomalies are also let loose. Although you must deal with them, their presence has the potential to be very useful, as the Soul Gems they drop can recharge the staff if it is out of charge.
The guide further confirms that the Eye has the power to destroy the entire world, and Quaranir and two other Psijic monks will secure it and take it beyond the confines of Tamriel (assumably back to Artaeum).
Skyrim Prima - Page 267 said:
Now that the Eye has grown unstable, it may not only destroy the College, but also the entire world! Ancano's actions proved that this world is not ready for such power. Quaranir prepares to secure the Eye. The Psiiic Order will maintain the Eye for now, and he summons his brethren, Gelebros and Tandil, to perform a binding ritual. The monks and the Eye soon disappear from this world.
The Mages College radiant quest Aftershocks further confirms this, with a rupture in the fabric of reality appearing somewhere in Skyrim thanks to Ancano's meddling with the eye, and you have to defeat the anomalies which appear and seal shut the rift.
Skyrim Prima - Page 271 said:
Once the events of the Eye of the Magnus have subsided, converse with Tolfdir. He informs you there have been reports of some kind of magic anomaly appearing in Skyrim. He fears this may be a side effect of Ancano's meddling with the Eye of Magnus and requests that you find out what is going on. He also recommends bringing along the Staff of Magnus.

Journey to the outdoor location with the perceived rift (which can be anywhere on Skyrim's exterior surface, in any Hold), and battle any entities you see prowling the area close by. Brandish your Staff of Magnus, and destroy the three Magic Anomalies surrounding the rupture. This seals il away and restores what passes for normality around these parts.

Back