Chrono Trigger respect & lore thread

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Masamune is the only weapon which can hurt Magus.
mCcfBRq.png
Only magic can hurt Heckran.
M8PDdDj.png
Heckran controls the power of water.
uqFyp6m.png
A monster that controls the power of water. In addition to taking a counterattack posture from time to time, when your remaining HP is less than half, you will start using "Hah!."
Heckran will send a big wave towards you if you attack it when it's blocking.
J8r3GJ.gif

Ogans can cause earthquakes by hitting the ground with their hammers.
Ogz3Qr.gif

K1etKGm.png
Ogan with a wooden hammer. In addition to hitting with a hammer, it uses a "Quake Hammer" that strikes the ground and causes an earthquake.
Crono and his friends are the only ones outside Cyrus who are able to beat Masa and Mune.
M2YB2kE.png

5bMEKsQ.png

FF8P6Qq.png

d8P61wk.png

CZ0jy36.png
Masa and Mune are the manifestations of the Masamune.
dYIjjuw.png

7hlsDK6.png
Masa & Mune carry you safely to the bottom of the mountain on their winds.
5VGMODZ.png
sW2_YL.gif

Ayla's fighting abilities far exceeds those of normal humans.
yj8dbD4.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Magus zaps Cyrus, and burns him away (to what looks like nothing).
gpNAL9.gif

Magus turns Glenn into a frog.
qQmOY3.gif

eoOXGQi.png

d0IKm0Z.png
Spekkio grants Frog Water Magic as he's a frog (which implies that Spekkio can chose the kind of magic he bestows).
vACfVdm.png
gMZSSL5.png

6tN1dhG.png
The monsters in Magus's army can't match his arcane magic.
VBlfpSC.png
Nizbel causes earthquakes by jumping.
z6y1v7.gif

N0W3AXq.png
A giant dinosaur with the ability to discharge electricity. In addition to setting up a body hit, it jumps small on the spot and causes an earthquake.
Though electrocuting Nizbel will lower its defences, it will eventually unleash this electrical energy back at the attacker.
Ou0wwQ8.png
The people of the Ioka tribe can make Stone Age guns.
5tLe035.png
nD9zfaV.png
The Masamune represents considerable power, and using it could save or destroy life.
IdiSfbW.png

RvlC2uk.png
Lucca helps Melchior repair the Masamune.
P2LCzUK.png
6gv2hNm.png
The mountain frog cut in half as seen from the world map (this may be a gameplay abstraction, but it's also worth pointing out that you can see chunks of stone fall from above when he cuts the mountain in half).
yzpixsW.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Flea makes several enemies appear to look like people that the heroes know (such as Crono's mother, Marle's father, Queen Leene for Frog).
YqsaSUU.png

86AHWfs.png

ifodjR8.png
mOO5Eij.png

xLvj2NY.png
8EPySAV.png
Pxa5ykl.png

bnP8o3s.png
Flea can change shape, such as into a bat.
w0vXKg.gif

Flea makes the battlefield into a starfield that contains entire galaxies. Unfortunately, I can't find anything that helps confirm what he actually did here.
k2NGrr.gif

WCHsLrl.png
Sorcerers can use a magical ability called destructive zone which causes a considerable explosion that rips up rock and shakes the ground.
57XmAA.gif

Using the Masamune on Magus decreases his magical defence.
Xtgan0M.png
Magus comments that Frog wielding the Masamune seems to have made it even stronger.
pbdROTz.png
Magus explains that he didn't create Lavos; only summoned it, and that Lavos has been living in the inner Earth and eating its power to grow stronger.
6vbk4lr.png
OzES2xh.png

Last edited:

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Lavos's power causes a huge time gate to open which sucks everyone in and sends them to different time periods (Crono, Frog & co to 65,000,000 BC and Magus to 12,000 BC).

Ayla carries everyone she finds at Mystic Mountain back to her camp, and mentions travelling up there because of a strange dream.
sAIwgtc.png
6gphUcO.png
Azala can use psychic powers, such as to throw around members of the party and to teleport boulders in to attack her foes.
kEYLO1G.png
x6wYVE.gif

ACy6zmD.png
EqmJZ4.gif

Lavos flies through space at great speeds.

Lavos falls from the skies and causes a massive explosion which wipes out the dinosaurs.
36Pkj9.gif

tHxhRhg.png
Lavos is noted to be huge, as well as weaker, as it had yet to feed on the planet (even in this weaker younger form though it still easily survives the fall from space and causing an extinction level event).
MXmUXFU.png

v3s8h2O.png

tZaEtas.png

IiXmIpd.png
Even right after landing, Lavos is now deep underground.
zo1S6K4.png
Tyranno Castle before Lavos falls...
Myb7zlP.png
...and after.
HTy3yQa.png
Robo speculates that Lavos's power is creating the time gates.
LyxGw3e.png
fmYG85D.png

Last edited:

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Azala prophecizes the coming ice age.
EEwBm7a.png

07b9Xo8.png
Lavos's impact not only caused a huge crater, but also caused a global shift in climate which brought around the Ice Age.
F2f0N6K.png
YikdE2Q.png
Bcc4SBR.png
DnzDz7W.png
Even just after Lavos's fall, clouds are already starting to blot out the sky and snow is falling where it's never fallen before.
eZrzvPb.png
gRXPoc6.png
Zeal is the magical floating kingdom where dreams come true...but at what price?
BrtjeKG.png

oOnYoYe.png
Gaspar the Guru of Time is working on a device called a Chrono Trigger.
1jS4NxF.png

KzJ5RZm.png

Kajar is located on the Western floating continent, and it's the city where magic is researched and experiments are done (the western continent is also where the Blackbird is kept).
ElrdLMc.png

yNaeyiB.png
9dBJ02M.png

JUqF0tx.png
Janus (young Magus) makes a prophecy that one of you will soon die.
LhqEHzB.png
The Guru of Life bestowed a magical sapling for planting with the the power to cure the environment.
oTkGdU7.png
The completion of the Ocean Palace will supposedly allow Zeal to last forever.
VBTDStD.png
The Ocean Palace is said the be the source light which sustains all living things (this may be in reference to drawing on Lavos's power).
cFHGUKC.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The Mammon Machine is what draws out Lavos's infinite power and magnifies it to supply to the Kingdom of Zeal .
QLhvHvQ.png
k7oTvTZ.png
XI3F9h9.png
The Mammon Machine was made by the three Gurus from the red rock of the royal family.
UWsEJH8.png
When the Mammon Machine is moved to the Ocean Palace, it will be able to draw upon even more energy. With this power they will be able to achieve immortality and eternal youth.
PcbUPI6.png

0wRIqAD.png

VKq0WS9.png
Marle's pendant is made of the same material as the Guru's rock.
qyJTjEA.png
Masa & Mune appear in the past, making them over 12,600 years old when you meet then in 600 AD.
WU5fyIP.png

ELP8v6U.png

Sa3w2aQ.png

CJuT3Ld.png

k4lKTtD.png

Last edited:

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
After the activation of the Mammon Machine, the Queen changed overnight.
0nMc9FK.png

gwFZGwS.png
The world used to be powered by the Sun Stone (which is implied strongly to draw energy from the planet itself), but after the discovery of the red rock and Lavos, the Sun Stone was sealed away.
r5gN3YY.png

wRMgYU0.png

43jwNUV.png
Should they defeat his golum, Dalton seals the heroes in an energy field.
BrjDOQ.gif

After being forced to by the Prophet (Magus), Schala seals the time gate Crono and his friends came through.
lKdMBiY.png

AgbCmud.png

1gpEUXg.png

RC0tuxf.png
r2nPML.gif

This not only seals the portal in Antiquity, but also in the Prehistoric Era.
ckOhkoU.png
K8vPm8.gif

If that's not enough, even at the End of Time the gateway is sealed. As such, they'll need another way of travelling through time...
dWxx8IR.png

TOsEzEU.png

RpKkuZz.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Ayla can't use magic as she lived before magic came to be (Spekkio also changes forms as you grow stronger).
KelFeCR.png

KBwHgJt.png
Belthasar leaves his last words. Long ago he was the Guru of Reason, but after a calamity he was thrown into the far future by Lavos. He recounts how long ago Lavos fell from the Heavens, and has such existed for many time periods throughout history. It then burrowed into the Earths core and fed for millions of years.
1qQHFJs.png

GPNS7Jo.png

XsgVnJo.png

Je0U7xF.png

66XVisR.png
Interestingly enough, Lavos was noted to have briefly vanished in 600 AD when Magus summoned it.
rtskYMl.png
In 1999 AD, Lavos rose to the surface and claimed it, and now resides atop Death Peak. Lavos continues to replicate and consume the world.
ivDTeYu.png

R3DE16J.png
Belthasar uploaded his mind into the Nu and teaches Crono and his friends how to transcend time.
hVjjFf1.png

1DBEuNd.png

ilsyWrJ.png

UJI9IXt.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Ozzie can use a hand-powered winch to work multiple conveyor belts and falling scythes (I couldn't make a gif of this one I'm afraid).

2300 AD has huge craters everywhere.
YXAslpA.png
An avian rex carries in a terasaur.
BrjD9Q.gif

Someone in Zeal says that beings who are born of dreams must return to them, and that Lavos has the power to create dreams (I don't know how important this is or if they're just being fancy, but given fiends are made from magic it might have some bearing).
yjQhSKt.png

ZmsLoUq.png
The Sunstone combined with the Rainbow Shell would make incredibly powerful weapons. But the use of elemental magic is forbidden by Queen Zeal.
kETNUgg.png

LvEHpUe.png
Not even the Enlightened Ones can open the sealed doors.
i144Xfz.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
After being sucked through time to the past (from the Middle Ages to the Pre-Historic Era), Crono sees a vision of what might be the future where he is married to Marle.
D9xGKgd.png

mWnHlQq.png

RLutp0b.png

fl9oCk6.png
BMcD9bx.png
The Nintendo Player's Guide refers to this as a Dream World.
ly88XRY.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Robo has a time gyro, which let's him know they've appeared in the year 12000 BC.
FyGHblC.png
An Enlightened One senses that Crono and his friends have an aura of kindness, and that their magic is different to that of Zeal.
2y3qu3X.png

mEyxaMR.png
Despite the fact that Zeal is taking energy from Lavos (and energy enough to levitate entire continents indefinately) Lavos has not gotten any weaker.
695i9OM.png
Another Enlightened One says that Crono & his friends magic is primitive compared to theirs.
O9y9wAj.png

7hrv6g6.png
The Enlightened Ones sense that the Prophets aura is filled with sorrow and hate.
icp7TZF.png
An Enlightened One says the truth exists in dreams (I've a feeling dreams may relate to something metaphysical, so it's worth taking note of I feel).
FYkXMHp.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Ayla can toss small to medium-sized enemies (including ones bigger than her) into the air.
MZAQvP.gif

Melchior's seal will vanish when Giga Gaia appears to fight.
58XX3Oc.png

Qft01kT.png
Giga Gaia's Gaia Magnitude causes a considerable explosion which sends boulders flying into the air.
gpEL0D.gif

Giga Gaia is the one who sealed Melchior (or Bosch in the Japanese version) at the top of Mount Woe.
nOAmAHh.png
The monster that sealed Bosch at the Summit of Mt. Nageki. It only revives when the left and right arms are destroyed, and does not attack.
Breaking the seal on Melchior's prison will cause the Mountain of Woe to collapse fall.
C3txKms.png
(I'll add a gif of this later)

Schala's power keeps the Skyway open.
ckUoclg.png
Schala is infact stated to create the Skyway.
veYc08Z.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Lavos sleeps within the Earth's core while feeding on it.
BgrqZMo.png
BewdZ2e.png
Masamune is made of the Royal Red Rock, and embodies Melchior's dreams. Originally it was a knife.
kYE38L5.png

O2oYuRu.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Lavos defeats Crono and his friends with a single attack.
r2o26L.gif

Lavos destroys Crono.
Vvjv9o.gif

Lavos drains Magus of power.
MhQfciu.png
Magus's attacks fail against Lavos.
cKcSMie.png
Schala uses the last of her pendants power to send the heroes to safety.
tZvX851.png
Lavos awakening destroys Zeal and brings it crashing down.
K8y8kJ.gif

Z8n8o8.gif

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
When Lavos appeared, Janus and the gurus were sucked into a mysterious black portal (a time gate).
3IVBBnF.png

5KtIFzQ.png

S44gWO0.png
After Lavos's time portal sent Magus to the Middle Ages, he tried to find ways to return, but afterwards found that no one could match the terrifying power of Lavos, and to do so would be to meet their doom.
fXiqU25.png

ZFS3p0a.png

7OX5fBy.png
Gaspar knows how to restore lost time streams.
LV5o6KF.png
When Lavos awakens, a dimensional warp occurs due to its uncontrollable power and everyone is pulled in to meet Lavos.
CQcTitT.png

9yyLZoS.png

Dp12xYc.png
Within the dimensional warp, Janus and the gurus are sucked into several time gates to end up in different time periods. As this happens within the dimensional warp and is something different, that would imply that the strange ripple place in which Lavos is fought is in a dimensional distortion of sorts (which according to the DS rerelease is Time's Edge).
PcjW1Ry.png

Au8kU7B.png
Gaspar arrives at the End of Time, and it's very interestingly devoid of anything (unlike when you visit it and there's fences and brickwork).
QmRQakY.png

roW58oZ.png

vBlRAEN.png

KOWNVeL.png
Magus's knowledge on Shadow Magic is so great that Spekkio says that even he could learn a few things from Magus.
Tz21Pqp.png

eDSjUI1.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
When taking off in the Epoch, the Chrono Trigger theme starts to play, but then Dalton orders the music to stop, so more fitting music for the situation plays, which Dalton approves of (there are other 4th wall breaks like characters talking about tutorial info, but this is the most blatant).

N50t31b.png
The Epoch's lasers cut through the Blackbird.
jYK0B5.gif

gpEny9.gif

Robo says he's able to connect his CPU to the Epoch.
GIKvPco.png
By charging it with sunlight for a very long time, a moonstone can be transformed into a sunstone.
PnfiTKE.png

94ccQrE.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The Chrono Trigger is pure potential, and by unleashing a specific order of events it can have a powerful effect on time. It represents a possibility, which may or may not hatch. The power of the Chrono Trigger is equal to the efforts that those who wish to hatch it are, and as long as they have Crono in their hearts they can bring him back.
K0zipO0.png
RMDrwFH.png

9BNqmw9.png

8f5qZ4a.png

PY1ON3o.png

aPBDQSq.png

rJ4h5V6.png
The Chrono Trigger will only work for someone who is important to the space-time continuum, and they need a clone (or doll) of the person they wish to bring back. Nolstein Beckler is a magician who can make a clone easily, and he can be found at festivals (given this is in the post-apocalyptic future and Belthasar is talking to time travellers, it's possible that Nolstein Beckler knows how to travel across time).
KApLhmO.png

edum7fF.png

5PaVhpP.png

MAkdtGv.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
I've bought and downloaded Chrono Cross. I'll play it and Radical Dreamers after I finish Chrono Trigger, but there's a few things from the official description alone worth noting.

Chrono Cross takes place across (at least) two parallel universes, and is an RPG that "transcends time and space."
CHRONO CROSS is an RPG that transcends time and space, unfolding across two interlinked parallel worlds.
With over 40 party members to meet, people and dimensions will intertwine in this epic drama about the planet itself.
Radical Dreamers is what would become the basis of Chrono Cross, and is an alternate version of the story set in a parallel world.
RADICAL DREAMERS - Le Trésor Interdit -
"RADICAL DREAMERS - Le Trésor Interdit -" was released in 1996 as a standalone game, and has not been easily accesible for play in recent years. Players can experience the story that went on to become the basis for CHRONO CROSS in an audio novel format. Here, an alternate story of the RADICAL DREAMERS, a group of three thieves - Serge, Kid and Magil - unfolds in a parallel world.

Back