Chrono Trigger respect & lore thread

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
In alternate paths to Lavos, you can ram the Epoch through Lavos's outer shell. Lavos' energy levels continue to rise.
ロボ「エネルギー値、100!
   200……! まだ上がり続けマス!
Robo: Energy readings at 100!
200...! Still CONTINUING to rise!
Robo: Energy value at 100!
200...!
And increasing!
Lavos' combat ability is immeasurable.
ロボ「戦闘能力値、計測不可能!?
Robo: Combat ability level immeasurable!?
Robo: Unable to calculate attack level value!?
Lavos's outer armour and the Epoch have roughly equal strength.
ロボ「ラヴォスの外かくと
   シルバードの強度は、ほぼ同等デスガ
   ワタシ達が突入のショックに
   たえられるかドウカ……
Robo: Lavos's outer shell and the Sylbird
HAVE roughly equal strength, BUT as far
whether WE will be able to withstand the
shock of entry OR NOT...
Robo: The Epoch's
strong enough to penetrate Lavos's
armor...but we may not be strong
enough to survive the shock...

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
It is indeed the Lavos cores perfoming the space-time shifts.
AkL1SkN.png
Huge bit of Lavos, centrally located. He is in charge of the attacking role, and performs various techniques while performing "space-time conversion."
7VvRBgc.png
"Evil Light" is a technique thatis only used when is a collection of three Lavos cores after changing the era to Ancient Times.
epObjX1.png
Center bit
Use "Time and Space Conversion" to change your surroundings to one of the Eras, and uses the next action to create a technique that corresponds to each her. His biggest threat is the "Grand Stone" he uses in the Primitive Age. When you see the background of the forest, fill up your HP and prepare for the "Grand Stone."
E373YR5.png
"Space-time conversion" response to changing times and backgrounds
Primitive - Place similar to Karinomori
Ancient Times - A place similar to the Undersea Temple
Middle Ages - A place similar to the Fiendlords Keep
Present Day - Place similar to Leene's Plaza
Future - Place similar to Ruins No. 32
Lavos' inner form has the genes of all life that has ever existed.
K2pgI0l.png
The main body of Lavos, which has the genes of all life that has ever existed. At first, he doesn't do anything and starts his activities in the middle of the battle.
Also I wasn't able to get a screenshot of it, but Lavos is also able to cast Time Stop and Muddle during the final battle.

Last edited:

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The Lost Sanctum is a village of friendly reptites that resides in an alternate dimension.
6OxAThc.png
A gate leading to another dimension that appeared in the Primeval and Medieval times - beyond that, the dinosaur people lived quietly. Crono and his friends, who gained their trust by chance, will receive various requests from the dinosaurs living in the village.
Ayla talks about how it's good there are friendly dinosaurs, and how humans and dinosaurs can live in peace, but these dinosaurs need protecting as they can't fight for themselves.
YjP4LCX.png
Ayla
Save the Dinosaur Village!
Dinosaur people weren't broken! There are a few survivors in the Dragon Sanctuary!
But Ayla is happy. Dinosaur people who are a little different from Azala. Kind-hearted people who had nothing to do with humans. The settlement between Ayla and Azala is also set. So if you are allowed to live in the earth in that place, you will never perish. If humans and dinosaurs can live harmoniously on this Earth, that's fine.
But the dinosaurs here aren't very good at fighting. When monsters appear, they just shut themselves up in their nests and hide. Can you help Kuro? I want to help Ella too. They are also friends who live on the earth. If you are in trouble, I want to help you!
The power which connects our dimension to the dimension of the Lost Sanctum is the Black Omen.

sErY3nd.png

jVkVQlN.png

tmvCCjE.png

jqmZqdr.png
It's also very important to note that although the Black Omen rises in Antiquity, the portals to the Lost Sanctum appear in the Primeval Era and the Middle Ages, meaning the Black Omen warping space and time (as stated by Robo) happened across tens of millions of years.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Lucca says that the power to alter history is a very powerful force (even if done for the better), one that should not be used recklessly, and thinks that it's a power allowed by the planet just to defeat Lavos.
XpVGUIN.png
We can change history. A little action in the past world can bring about more changes than you can imagine in the future. This time, Robo has helped Fiona try to turn the desert into a forest for the rest of the Middle Ages. For Robo, it's been 400 years, but for us, who have transcended time, it's a blink of an eye. In an instant, the barren desert was transformed into a verdant forest. Altering history - this is a very powerful force. However, it is a power that should not be used recklessly. I think it's a power allowed by the planet to defeat Lavos. Even so...it makes me thing. If I could go back to that day...if I could go back to the moment when my mother lost her ability to walk, I would...

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Lucca uses her time wand to bring people from the past and future to talk to the King of Guardia to explain how Crono & Marle and their friends helped save the whole world.
nocosrz.png
These people are Marles ancestors (including Ayla and Kino) and descendants.
LktGV2s.png
The King says that he's happy that his daughter and Crono saved the past, present and future.
85wLHQd.png
With Lavos defeated, the Time Gates are weakening and about to close, so everyone must go home to their own eras.
ロボ「ラヴォスが死に
  ゲートの力が弱まってイマス。

ルッカ「ゲートが閉じる前に
  さよならを言わなきゃ。
Robo: Lavos is dead, and the power
of the Gates IS weakened.

Lucca: We have to say goodbye
before the Gates close.
Robo: The Gate has grown weak...

Lucca: We've got to say our goodbyes before the Gate closes.
After everyone has returned to their own eras, Lucca and Marle say that they feel the Entity is now at peace (the planet is now safe, so it can rest easy).
7rbl4uJ.png
Qjihe49.png
Im5HY8Z.png

peWNHnM.png

If you don't perform the sidequest to restore the forest and camp out and revisit Lucca's past, then a different line of dialogue plays out, how Lucca says she feels that the portals weren't opened by Lavos but another vast warm being who wished to show them all those eras.
ルッカ「ゲートはラヴォスの力で
  生まれたものと思っていたけど……
  今思うと違ってたのかもね。

マール「どういう事?

ルッカ「もっと違う……
  あたたかく大きな存在が
  いろんな時代を私達に
  見せたかったんじゃないかな。
Lucca: We thought the Gates were
born from Lavos's power... but now
I think maybe we were wrong.

Marle: What do you mean?

Lucca: I wonder if some other...
some vast, warm being
didn't want to show us
the various eras.
Lucca: I thought Lavos made the Gates...But I guess I was wrong.

Marle: What do you mean?

Lucca: I think a greater force wanted us to experience those events.
As you fly around the world and across time and space to save Crono's mother, you see many landscapes and towns that you didn't see on the world map.

NUNP5v9.png
Finally, as you see the planet from space, all of the continents are the same as the world map.
QZFi8yx.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
From V-Jump (or I think this is V-Jump), Lavos' biology is discussed by a Nu and Spekkio. First off, we have an incredible cross section of Lavos.
iCRlAOH.jpg
6IkuyFT.jpg
The inside of the outer shell is intricately intricate with countless tubes. These pipes draw in the energy of the outer world of fire into the main body, and send "flames pouring down from the heavens: into the thorns on the surface of the outer shell of the fireball. It plays the role of shooting 12 shots. 1. Energy bag. Accumulates offensive energy chikuseki sofugyi and emits the amplified one from the front mouth. When the main body comes out from the outer shell, it is a hollow passageway.
Lavos is powerful enough to destroy the Earth in one blow.
Vi5LHtJ.jpg
g9CybCA.jpg
"Even if you can do it, you won't do it. That's what it is." Nuu. "I wonder if you can imitate my mop attack. The attack power is also extraordinary. The Earth was destroyed in one blow." Enough energy to live Because I have a model, I can imitate the attack. What's more, it copies the behavioral and attack patterns of living creatures over tens of millions of years from the complete Mamo gene so it's horochigeti! Tokyo Kansen
There are many hundreds of millions of Lavos across the Universe, and the Lavos race can actually wriggle around in outer space and aim for prey planets (implying that they can alter their trajectory in space).
UmsuBMK.jpg
Akahono Lavos, who turns into a red flame and wanders the Universe. Thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of millions of Lavos are wriggling in all of outer space, aiming for the next prey planet.
Lavos searches space for planets with new genetic genes.
a2ETPfY.jpg
While wandering through space, Lavos sets about parasitic work, hoping to find a planet with a new genetic gene. It descends towards the planet, crashes into the surface connected to the ground, and burrows inside.
Without slowing, Lavos buries through the planet, crushing bedrock and mantle layers with it's hard shell until it reaches the core. We also see diagrams that help confirm Lavos is smack bang in the middle of the planets core.
saGPt0w.jpg
Without slowing down, we dive towards the center of the planet. While crushing bedrock and mantle layers with its hard shell, it stops when it reaches the core.
Lavos abosrbs energy such as heat and gas while also absorbing the genetic information of the organisms which live on the planet.
volDa3e.jpg
It absorbs the energy and energy of the planet, such as heat and gas, and sustains life activities. On the otherhand, it catches and incorporates the genetic information of living organisms living on the planet.
Lavos can reach outer space by jumping.
9Hg4oUn.jpg
Oh, and I will continue to travel in search of new planets, new life

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Lavos flies across space.
J89Zq2.gif

The Black Omen rising warps space and time and causes portals to an alternate dimension to open up in different time periods.
RlVgoq.gif

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The anime cutscene for the PSX version of Chrono Trigger has Crono's death (?) take place in the same strange otherworldy dimension as the game.

0HflAds.png
xT0MAwy.png

7OcAR62.png

In the introduction anime, we can see just how huge the floating islands of Zeal are.

mxS0Yxe.png

Luccas gun penetrates robots, and Robo punches out several roots.
lR9Ox5.gif

The Black Tyranno can shatter stone.
jY92ZR.gif

Zenan Bridge is a lot higher up than is apparent in the game.
FEbynNt.png
Crono jumps good while Marle and Lucca cast Antipode, which results in the giant snake being cut in half and vaporized.
r2l08E.gif

Ayla jumps good.
ywv8o7.gif

Crono and Frog jump and slash at Zombor whileLucca blasts it, causing a large explosion.
J89Zy2.gif

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Several calcs by myself and others. To start with, a calc from Taccocat (archived here by Papa Nier) and several by myself. I may add on more calcs too.

Three of Vivi's surviving calcs from the Archives, one for the speed of Frogs sword beam and the energy to levitate Mount Woe, the other the Meteor Shower from Chrono Cross.

A calc from Chrono Compendium of levitation the Kingdom of Zeal (the yield is around 7 exatons).

Last edited:

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Now that I've finished replaying Chrono Trigger, it's time to compile feats to argue that even in Chrono Trigger there are universal/multiversal feats.

Some great force is putting pressure on all of time, with more and more distortions in space-time appearing. There are two beings that this would most likely be referring to; Lavos or the Entity, in which case Lavos is killing the Entity so it would scale in anycase.
(Original Japanese kanji)
老人「違う時間を生きる者が、4人以上で
  時空のゆがみに入ると、次元の力場が
  ねじれてしまう……。
  しかし、この所、時空のゆがみが
  多くてな。
  お前さん達の様にフラリとここへ
  あらわれる者もいる……。
  何かが時間全体にえいきょうを
  およぼしているのかも知れんな……。
(Literal translation)
Old Man: When four or more people who live in different times enter a space-time distortion, the dimensional field warps... But there have been so very many space-time distortions recently. There are even those, like you, who pop up here... Perhaps something is having an effect on time in its entirety...
(Original English SNES translation)
OLD MAN: When 4 or more beings step into a time warp, the Conservation of Time theorum states that they will turn up......at the space-time coordinates of least resistance. Here. Disturbances in the space-time continuum have increased recently. Far too many folks are just popping in here...I fear something is having a powerful effect on the very fabric of time...
This Entity is the planet itself, which is able to create Time Gates to allow the heroes to see different time periods and maybe even defeat Lavos as Lavos drains its life energy and its life flashes before it.

10:33

The Black Omen activating and rising shakes the space-time continuum.
ロボ「シルバードの時空ジャイロが
  大きくみだれてイマス!
Robo: The Sylbird's timespace gyroscope IS going crazy!
{Robo}: The {Epoch}'s space-time compass has gone haywire!
In the DS version, this causes two portals to be opened in the Middle Ages and Prehistoric Times to an alternate dimension which contains the Lost Sanctum, what's more is that this is done from Antiquity, another time period all together.
RlVgoq.gif

6OxAThc.png
A gate leading to another dimension that appeared in the Primeval and Medieval times - beyond that, the dinosaur people lived quietly. Crono and his friends, who gained their trust by chance, will receive various requests from the dinosaurs living in the village.
To further point out the importance of the time difference, not only is there a great difference in time, but also space, as the planet and the galaxy continue to move (they also specify time and space).
Dizzy yet? Well hold on. The Milky Way itself is moving through the vastness of intergalactic space. Our galaxy belongs to a cluster of nearby galaxies, the Local Group, and together we are easing toward the center of our cluster at a leisurely 25 miles a second.

If all this isn't enough to make you feel you deserve an intergalactic speeding ticket, consider that we, along with our cousins in the Local Group, are hurtling at a truly astonishing 375 miles a second toward the Virgo Cluster, an enormous collection of galaxies some 45 million light-years away.
65000000 years is equal to 2.04984e15 seconds, which given the distance moved within the local cluster (25 miles being equal to 40.2336km) gives us a distance of 8.24724426e16km, or 8717.344 lightyears, while moving towards the Virgo Cluster at 375 miles a second (or 603.50400km/s) gives us a distance of 1.23708664e18km, or 130760.161 lightyears (around the diameter of the galaxy). The Black Omen was able to affect all these moments in space and time at the same time across at least two alternate dimensions.

The Black Omen exists across "all temporal dimensions." I don't know what dimensions in this context refers to, but it's still worth bringing up.
(Original Japanese kani)
女王「この黒の夢はあらゆる時間 次元をこえてながれている……。
(Literal translation)
Queen: This Black Dream flows across all temporal dimensions...
(Official English SNES translation)
QUEEN: The Dark Omen transcends time and space, waiting for Lavos to awaken!
Lavos in it's final form is able to perform space-time shifts.
GWPU6bv.png
tuPh5SB.png

iQOF3cj.png

SikntAZ.png

vl7Wk8z.png

SMrTSCS.png
時空転換
(Literal translation)
Spacetime Shift
Time warp...
Lavos is repeatedly said to have infinite power in both the original Japanese version and the English translation.
この黒の夢は、ラヴォス神へとつながる道。
わらわに無限の力をあたえてくれる神殿。
おぬし達のもとめる未来なぞ
この奥におわすラヴォス神があられる限り
望むべくもないわ!
(Literal translation)
This Black Dream is a path to the god Lavos. A temple that provides me with infinite power. You ought not even wish for such things as the future you seek as long as the god Lavos, who dwells within here, exists!
The Black Omen is a path which leads to Lavos. It is a shrine which provides us with limitless power. As long as the mighty one reigns, your dreams are hopeless!
これこそが、ジールの力の源。ラヴォス様の無限エネルギーを引き出しぞうふくする『魔神器』です。
THIS is the source of Zeal's power.
The Nether Relic extracts and amplifies
the great Lavos's limitless energy.
THIS is the source of Zeal's strength.
The Mammon Machine...it draws and
magnifies the infinite power of Lavos.
In the Final Fantasy Chronicle Strategy Guide, Crono is said to go on a quest to save the Universe.
4L2yjMq.png
There's some other stuff, but it seems pretty esoteric, so I'll see if Chrono Cross or Radical Dreamers have anything else to say on the issue. In anycase, I feel the jump from Lavos to Dream Devourer to Time Devourer isn't s big as previously thought.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Started playing Chrono Cross, and so far I've a bit to add. The game takes place across multiple alternate dimensions all happening across the same time.
tXsYt70.png
Serge somehow ends up in an alternate world.
gl8odkF.png
Kid can kick someones ass so hard that they'd kiss the moons.
H2RBQbf.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Chrono Cross has had a cross over with Another Eden. As said previously, these are made by the same people, and the canon status of this is 'I have no idea'.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Despite being set on the same planet, the world of Chrono Cross has two moons (whereas Chrono Trigger only had one moon).
SNy1Apt.jpg
Serge & Kid and the other heroes meet the Prophet of Time.
ZNwFyFK.jpg
The world is divided up into different possible outcomes, with different worlds with their own timelines.
DZNpbWW.jpg
7JvnrD8.jpg
Ep5YxHT.jpg
RoDajIg.jpg
SygRfAV.jpg
Rdoldch.jpg
In the past, there was a 50-50 percent chance of Serge living or dying, causing two possibilities to manifest. In Serge's own world he lives, while in the new world he dies.
hHONeYI.jpg

10OBVBL.jpg

vx8SLJR.jpg

qmNPsR9.jpg

KzDgT0l.jpg

Loy8AMp.jpg

E7fhEbQ.jpg
The places in the space-time continuum where parallel realities connect are called Angelus Errare (Where Angels Loose Their Way). In places like this the borders between dimensions fluctuate, allowing travel between worlds.
97PVgYk.jpg

fGRiVTl.jpg

DFn3zZO.jpg

4FBuMqC.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The Tele-Porter allows you to switch party members on the world map or within the Records of Fate (Kid also tells you to look it up in the menu).
Ps6YU3f.jpg
RUX3Nsm.jpg
rRRQ7kv.jpg
The Records of Fate record everything, past present and future.
DFvCbfc.jpg
RPGPe5y.jpg

HRurmJa.jpg
The Records of Fate can also give hints of the future to come.
O1x9yXL.jpg
The Time Shifter can control the flow of time, causing it to flow faster or slower.
aMsIqIF.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The first time you fight Lynx, it's just with his shadow.
9uE665I.png

rY2XrgZ.png
Lynx says he could beat Kid with just a shadow.
DojROCt.jpg
The key that connects Serge's world to the other world lies in the Land of Genesis, and can be known as a dimensional distortion.
l128EjK.jpg

lbFVQUC.jpg

x9ZPMdP.jpg
The Hydra is considered a god of sort to the dwarves, and if it dies then the forest will also go.
yGgMmnW.jpg
The guards outside Vipers Manor can one-shot the local monsters.
8jGyS7x.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The elemental dragons are said to be gods who rule over the laws of nature. Their powers are the forces of nature, and if anyone where to gain control of said powers it would be too terrible to consider. The Water Dragon, for example, makes the Water Dragon island luscious and flowing with water.
obSCR7W.jpg

4FG0sw0.jpg

yNskKhD.jpg
The Water Dragon speaks directly to your mind.
l9TgTof.jpg
The Water Dragon already knows why you're there, and bestows you with Ice Breath, which can freeze even boiling magma.
mKEnVvI.jpg
yalnbHN.jpg

U1EtaT5.jpg

mw1vREX.jpg

vHrNPFs.jpg

CATno0E.jpg

KJxbmla.jpg

Y7r79sY.jpg
The Water Dragon also bestows her subordinate the Frog Prince so as to help against the Fire Dragon.
33yDA1L.jpg
Examples of a stream of magma before being frozen...
Ukjo3dg.jpg
...and after.
D5bWQlk.jpg
Note as above the creature standing in the magma itself. The monsters of Mount Pyre can survive happily in boiling magma (which goes up to their knees).
t3vqrKp.jpg
The lava is deep enough that treasure chests would be stuck within it if you freeze the lava before opening them.
OEeAS54.jpg
As a final note, you too can survive in magma, but you are hurt by doing so.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
General Viper was holding back in his fight against Serge, Kid and the other heroes.
ED0C34T.jpg
RIt3cvT.jpg
Ten years ago, the boundaries of time and space came apart, and a part of Lynx died (and seems to have entered into Serge).
XstKxYb.jpg

Onz630G.jpg

Dfsqt7r.jpg
Lynx swaps bodies with Serge (which may also have something to do with the Frozen Flame).

nF2MWim.jpg
Lynx gets the Frozen Flame, which he refers to as the key to the gate of fate.
zYFRBq3.jpg

vNF7Sea.jpg
Using the Frozen Flame, Lynx shatters the dragon gods statues and causes space itself to warp.

There's a strange sequence, and then Serge ends up in the Temporal Vortex, a strange dream-like world.

Z1fWSvT.jpg

B69ZXqD.jpg
The Temporal Vortex is where lost souls wander.
H19mhu0.jpg
Most of the beings who end up in the Temporal Vortex are wandering spirits, and not physical beings.
IQEsfRl.jpg
tqJRYtI.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Gravitonne crushes foes with extra-heavy gravity.
jF09XMa.jpg
Magma Burst makes lava gush out from under your foe.
vdeFaQT.jpg
Upheavel stabs foes with shards of earth.
WGul3aa.jpg
Hell-Bound sends the target to Hell.
iG38hRD.jpg
Photon Ray shoots a powerful laser at your oponent.
8v36wHw.jpg
Hell-Soul attempts to remove the targets soul from their body.
zqdWxfz.jpg
Weak-Minded lowers a targets magical resistance.
cYMWcYp.jpg
Aeroblaster shoots a sonic blast at foes.
F1IrtkQ.jpg
Meteor shower hurls several large asteroids at the target.
lvYADwB.jpg
Meteor Shower in action, which calls down asteroids from beyond the moons in seconds.

Certain enemies can also use Meteor Shower against you (which you can survive).

Back