Chrono Trigger respect & lore thread

Gordo

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Spekkio also calls Magus a “marlin” when it comes to magic and that he can teach him a thing or two

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The Chrono Trigger freezes time, allowing for the real Crono to be switched out with a Crono doll.
8UkjGYW.png
CSsEZsc.png
Gaspar sees glimpses of people and places across time who will empower the heroes. Just as they make the lives of those they help better, so too will the heroes be strengthened by their energy.
wdWVlgH.png
72y48Fi.png

7MVM0dk.png
Crono and his friends are the only ones who stand a chance against Lavos.
bHb57Dp.png
The Wings of Time has a heart and mind of its own and follows the heros back to the End of Time.
kSMrGNz.png
Desert monsters are draining the life of the soil and turning the forest into a desert.
ceDjixw.png

iaSJPeh.png

2m88I5M.png
BgG6Iny.png

hAbJmjp.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Robo works for 400 years to revive a forest from a desert (said desert also had the energy sucked out of all of the dirt too).
SmGhgsC.png

Up8RX0e.png

6SlJxFI.png
Robo seems to have different forms that he can take on to help the forest grow back.
0bCf8NT.png
The foresf that Robo regrew has magical boughs in it (which can be used to make hats).
4CU6tO0.png

Paxton

One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds
V.I.P. Member
Robo works for 400 years to revive a forest from a desert (said desert also had the energy sucked out of all of the dirt too).
SmGhgsC.png

Up8RX0e.png

6SlJxFI.png
Robo seems to have different forms that he can take on to help the forest grow back.
0bCf8NT.png
The foresf that Robo regrew has magical boughs in it (which can be used to make hats).
4CU6tO0.png
Robo the real one :wow

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
During his 400 years working to revive the forests, Robo comes to the realization that the time portals may not have been opened by Lavos at all, but by a different Entity entirely. This being wishes to show the heroes different moments throughout time, as if it wants the heroes to see different events from its past, as if reliving them, similar to how someones life flashes before their eyes before they die.
sFFlVT4.png

GDTAyFv.png

oMNwKVb.png

wxcraX2.png

blP1J4x.png

3H4Cy5f.png

SltGv24.png
The identity of this Entity is unknown, and it may even be entirely beyond comprehension, but it is known that Lavos plays an integral game in the fortunes of the Entity.
KGJyzOO.png
PGjwyYq.png
l21lfT1.png

DcQrnGk.png
After Lucca doesn't talk about the things she may or may not want to change, a portal opens up that night leading back to her past, where she was unable to stop her mothers legs from being crushed.
vVnxAMr.png
Masato Kato (the story planner and script writer of Chrono Trigger) confirms that this Entity is the Spirit of the Planet itself, which symbolises the collection of life on Earth (as everyone alive feels they're part of a bigger Entity, whether that entity is a sapient deity or something more pantheistic like nature or time).

10:33

The full original interview.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Robo crushes sap into amber over 400 years using great pressure (usually it takes millions of years for amber to form).
cQgoQin.png

rkTZPH2.png

DM3duci.png
The Green Dream amber can be used to auto resurrect once.
fbhfqLA.png
One of the hats made from a magical bough that the nuns at the forest church sells you can stop time stops and time slows.
JGktbp8.png
Lucca uses the energy of the Sunstone to make a weapon.
R2T9Z8M.png

6rRKjjx.png

LdxHUtX.png
Her father Taban can also forge items from the Suntone fragments.
NFNJVIl.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Tormented spirits create negative energy.
k5HwSUu.png
As a haunted spirit, the heroes cannot harm spirits like Cyrus with their weapons (magic works on other spirits, but not on Cyrus).
mRSKXOb.png
Masa and Mune once again speak, telling Frog that a heroes true strength comes from within (mind over matter, in a metaphysical sense). They then recombine and the true form of the Masamume awakens.
RzeJ6ef.png

8VtPyKs.png

1lhUbo3.png

rWViYof.png

3urLpDq.png

uawZOny.png

fRQ8mSh.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Another Eden: The Cat Beyond Time and Space (which was written by Masato Kato, as well as with music composed by Yasunori Mitsuda) has a character called Ashtear, a scientist girl with short purple hair, glasses and green & orange clothing and a golden robot companion. As with Lucca in Xenogears and Biggs/Vicks and Wedge in Chrono Trigger, make of this as you will.
Rq459Xc.png

Last edited:

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The Tyranno palace (partially) survives being hit directly by Lavos, and was pushed underground.
bhljdUh.png
5tPa2uk.png
Rust Tyranno is Black Tyranno 65 million years later, meaning that it survived the Lavos impact directly (and is now no doubt even stronger). This also means that prior to even mid-game part scales to an extinction level event (minimum of 100 teratons). You have to have Crono and Ayla in your party when you fight Azala and the Black Tyranno.
sFfZU2c.png
Black Tyranno continues to move even though it's full of rust. The Tyranno Flame gradually increases in power.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
If you visit the Black Omen in the post-apoalyptic future, Queen Zeal will appear and mock you, saying that Lavos has already eaten the life energy of the planet. You cannot enter the Black Omen in this Era.
OOvdCUY.png
lr5Tlid.png

k4KIhXq.png
gIAJy25.png
Entering in another Era and Queen Zeal will again great you, saying that (in the case of entering in 1000 AD) in 999 years Lavos will rule the world, and they are now immortal and draw upon Lavos's limitless energy, whom draws power even as he sleeps (enough power to levitate the Black Omen indefinately and with no strain or loss of power for over 12000 years (up to 14300 years as we can find the Black Omen in the future).
gqtsXKP.png
ccHcX77.png

GWZzcW7.png

tuz4ULq.png

Ldo9Mjd.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Certain enemies can stop time.
ZoU3edD.png
On your way to confront Queen Zeal, you see yourselves floating in what looks like glass tubes or beams of light (everyone except Magus).
NDHEchH.png
8h6WL98.png
Queen Zeal says this is destiny in its most brutal form, and represents everything that could have been. She then goes on to say that the Black Omen transcends space and time, and that destiny lead them here to be crushed, unless they can defeat Zeal and destroy the Mammon Machine.
WmXc9Hb.png
7nFZlFB.png

ALt5e9o.png

iv7Pcwv.png

ftOABJJ.png

sq8lO5Y.png

LR9rtzL.png
Zeals powers aren't working for some reason, so she decides to fee the heroes to the Mammon Machine.
7QuDjwI.png
Lx3tMTr.png

CoXvgiP.png
The fight against the Mammon Machine takes place in the same place you fight Lavos.
5VfihMD.png
The Black Omen is so massive that it's top reaches into space.
wGXkDJj.png
Queen Zeal says she plans to rule over the Universe with Lavos.
boXR7GL.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Lavos has ten attack modes it goes through during the fight, nine of which are based off the attack patterns of bosses you previously fought. This includes the Dragon Tank (a machine), Guardian (a machine from the future), Zombor (an undead skeleton monster), Nizbel (who was defeated before Lavos even crashed into the planet), Magus (who you can use to fight Lavos in this form) and others. Not only does this mean Lavos can take information from creatures organic & mechanical, dead, alive & undead, but even from the future (you cannot fight Lavos in the post-apocalyptic future, which is the only place you can fight the Guardian), as well as beings who died before Lavos even came to Earth.
jH5Ecbv.png

JnoTuBV.png

vd7jeOz.png

m5K2Xgl.png

zAmxwo4.png

SXS441J.png

NaFa8cT.png

r6TJy20.png

Gg4ZNJ5.png
After her defeat, Queen Zeal returned to being human. Now nothing is standing between you and Lavos, with the fate of the whole planet in the balance.
eWWsB9w.png
nnERlVv.png

kSoOnyu.png

chMmYRs.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The walls of the Black Omen open up a Time Gate, summoning a Lavos Spawn to do battle with you.

Omega Flare is a Triple Tech with Lucca, Robo and Magus, which lets them all unleash the Ultimate Laser.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The endgame draws near, so this is a good a time as any to look over the original Japanese translations, which some mad lad (lass?) has done! Thank you stranger!

Save points in the Japanese version are referred to as places in the world where time's memory abades.
この世の中には時の記憶がとどまる所が
あるという。
そこでは危険にみちた場所でも
旅の記録をとる事が出来る。
それはレプリカさ。 もし本物を見かけたら
旅の記録を取ることをすすめるぜ。
なんせ危険な所ほど出現しやすいと
いう話だからな。
おっと、それともう1つ!
ワールドマップでは、どこでも旅の記録を
とれる、わすれないでくれ。
It's said there are places in this world
where time's memory abides.
There, you can take a record of your
journey, even in places full of danger.
That's a replica. I suggest taking a record
of your journey if you catch sight of the
real thing. After all, they say they appear
more readily in more dangerous places.
Oh, and one more thing!
On the world map, you can take a record
of your journey anywhere, don't forget.
Should your health react zero you will be incapacitated, but if the whole party's health reaches zero you'll be lost in the flow of time.
モンスターの攻撃を受けて、HPが0に
なると戦闘不能になっちゃうわ。
もちろん『アテナの水』とかのアイテムで
復活も出来るわよ。
けどね、みんなが戦闘不能になった時は
時のながれのわすれ物になっちゃうの……
気をつけてね。
If your HP goes to 0 from taking monsters'
attacks, you become incapacitated.
Of course, you can revive too, with
items like Athena's Water.
But when everyone is incapacitated,
you'll be lost in the flow of time...
Be careful.
The heroes passed through a space-time warp from the Royal Year 1000 AD to 2300 AD.
ルッカ「私達は王国暦1000年から
  ゲートという時空のゆがみを通って
  ここに来ちゃったの。
Lucca: We passed through a space-time
distortion called a Gate from Royal
Year 1000, and wound up here.
The End of Time is referred to as the Farthest Reaches of Time.
老人「ここは、『時の最果て』……。
  時間のまよい子が、行き着く所さ。
  お前さん達、どっから来なすった?
Old Man: This is The Farthest Reaches of Time...
the place where those lost in time end up.
Where did you all come from?
I posted translation differences earlier (from a different translator that says similar, but it's worth repeating again. When four or more people who live in different time periods enter a Time Gate together, they are sent to the period in time with the least resistance (the End of Time). As many people are turning up at the End of Time, Gasper speculates that something is having an effect on time in its entirety.
老人「違う時間を生きる者が、4人以上で
  時空のゆがみに入ると、次元の力場が
  ねじれてしまう……。
  しかし、この所、時空のゆがみが
  多くてな。
  お前さん達の様にフラリとここへ
  あらわれる者もいる……。
  何かが時間全体にえいきょうを
  およぼしているのかも知れんな……。
Old Man: When four or more people who
live in different times enter a space-time
distortion, the dimensional field warps...
But there have been so very many
space-time distortions recently.
There are even those, like you,
who pop up here...
Perhaps something is having an
effect on time in its entirety...
The pillars of light you see at the end of time are dimensional distortions.
老人「お前さん達がやって来た場所に
  光のはしらがあるじゃろう。
  あれは、あちこちの次元のゆがみと
  ここ、時の最果てをつなぐものじゃ。
  一度通った事のあるゲートからは
  いつでもここに来られるじゃろう。
  光にかさなりAボタンを押せば
  ゲートにもどれる。
  じゃが、そこのバケツからつながる
  ゲートには気をつけるんじゃな……。
Old Man: There are pillars of light where
you arrived, correct?
Those link the dimensional distortions all
over to here in the Farthest Reaches of Time.
You can most likely come here at any time
from any Gate once you have crossed it.
You can return to the Gate if you stand in
the light and press the A button.
But be wary of the Gate connected from
the bucket over there...
The vast powers of what is believed to be Lavos (but is really the Entity) warps space-time and creates Time Gates.
ルッカ「そうか……、わかったわ!
  ラヴォス自体の、巨大なエネルギーが
  時空間をゆがめてゲートを生むんだわ。
Lucca: Oh... I get it!
The vast energy of Lavos itself warps
spacetime and gives birth to Gates.
ロボ「ゲートは、おそらく
  ラヴォスのエネルギーが時空をゆがめて
  生じるのではないデショウカ?
Robo: The Gates, DOES NOT
Lavos's energy perhaps distort
spacetime and produce them?
Robo detects that they are in the year 12000 BC via his spacetime gyro.
ロボ「時空ジャイロは
  ……王国歴前1万2千年!?
  おそろしいほどの昔デス。
Robo: My spacetime gyro reads...
twelve millennia before royal years!?
This IS soberingly far in the past.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
There are said to be as many universes as there are lives, as everyone sees the world differently, and as such things that you can only see and touch may not be the only truths (this may also tie into the metaphysics surrounding dreams; it could also be philosophical talk about how everyone has a different worldview).
あなたの目に見えてる世界と
アタシの目に見えてる世界とは
まったくちがうものなのかもね。
いい? 宇宙は生命の数だけ存在するわ。
見えるもの、さわれるものだけが
本当と思っちゃダメよ。
The world that you see with your eyes
and the world that I see with my eyes
may be completely different things.
Got it? There are as many universes as lives.
Don't think that only the things you can
see and touch are the truth.
Lavos has limitless power, which the Mammon Machine draws upon and amplifies.
これこそが、ジールの力の源。
ラヴォス様の無限エネルギーを引き出し
ぞうふくする『魔神器』です。
THIS is the source of Zeal's power.
The Nether Relic extracts and amplifies
the great Lavos's limitless energy.
Frog doesn't expect that a mere door could keep them back (as in a sealed door), showing they they are well past doors at this point.
カエル「チキショー、たかが
  こんな扉ひとつに、手も足も
  ベロも出ないとは……。
Frog: Dammit, who'd have guessed
we'd be so helpless against a
mere door...
The Epoch (or Sylbird) has power like nothing Robo has ever seen, and it's as if the power of the human spirit has been amplified to a terrifying extent (Robo has also potentially witnessed the extinction event caused by Lavos crashing into the Earth and Frog slicing a mountain in have, so the Epoch's power is considerable indeed.
ロボ「見たこともないエネルギー!
  まるで人間の精神力を、おそろしく
  ぞうふくしたような……!!
Robo: Energy such as I HAVE never seen!
As though it HAS amplified the power of
the human spirit to a terrifying extent...!!
The Epoch flies across dimensional space at amazing speeds.
ルッカ「次元空間をこんなスピードで!
Lucca: Dimensional space, at such speed!
Even in Robos era they didn't have spacetime vehicles.
ロボ「ワタシの時代の文明でも
  時空間の乗り物などは
  なかったというのに……!
Robo: There WAS never any such
thing as a timespace vehicle even
in MY era...!
Queen Zeals mind has been consumed by Lavos.
ボッシュ「魔神器が吸い上げる
  エネルギーが大きくなればなるほど
  女王は正気を失っていった……。
  海底に眠る不死の神ラヴォスに
  女王は人としての心を
  食われてしまったのじゃ……。
Bosch: The greater the energy that the
Nether Relic sucks up grows, the
more the queen loses her sanity...
The queen's human mind has been
consumed by the immortal god Lavos
that sleeps beneath the ocean...
As they are sucked into the rippling field where they come face to face with Lavos in the Ocean Palace, Robo says that the dimensional fluctuation is growing stronger (further confirming that the rippling field is in another dimension).
ロボ「次元のゆらぎが
  大きくなってきていマス……!
  このままでは……!
Robo: The dimensional fluctuation
IS becoming greater...!
At this rate...!
As everyone is drawn towards Lavos, Robo says that if they enter Lavos energy field they'd be disintergrated down to their very atoms.
ロボ「あのエネルギー体に
  とりこまれたら
  原子まで分解されてしまいマス!
Robo: If swallowed into that body of
energy, I fear we WILL BE disintegrated
down to our very atoms!
When the Black Omen rises from the sea, the Epoch's spacetime gyro goes haywire.
ロボ「シルバードの時空ジャイロが
  大きくみだれてイマス!
Robo: The Sylbird's timespace
gyroscope IS going crazy!
Robo can detect a ridiculous amount of spiritual energy coming from the Black Omen.
ロボ「巨大デス、とてつもなく!
  強大な精神エネルギーが測定出来マス!
Robo: It IS enormous, ridiculously so!
I can measure a mighty spiritual energy!
Lavos provides Queen Zeal and the Black Omen with infinite power.
この黒の夢は、ラヴォス神へとつながる道。
わらわに無限の力をあたえてくれる神殿。
おぬし達のもとめる未来なぞ
この奥におわすラヴォス神があられる限り
望むべくもないわ!
This Black Dream is a path to the god Lavos.
A temple that provides me with infinite power.
You ought not even wish for such things as
the future you seek as long as the god Lavos,
who dwells within here, exists!
The Black Omen flows across all temporal dimensions.
女王「この黒の夢はあらゆる時間
  次元をこえてながれている……。
  ラヴォス様がめざめる
  その時を待ちながら……。
  お前達の未来は
  いつか必ずここにたどりつく。
  お前達に未来はない!
  わらわを倒し、この黒の夢を
  止めぬかぎりな!
Queen: This Black Dream flows
across all temporal dimensions...
Awaiting that time when the
great Lavos will awaken...
Your future is certain to reach
here eventually.
You have no future!
Not unless you defeat me
and stop this Black Dream!

Paxton

One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds
V.I.P. Member
There are said to be as many universes as there are lives, as everyone sees the world differently, and as such things that you can only see and touch may not be the only truths (this may also tie into the metaphysics surrounding dreams; it could also be philosophical talk about how everyone has a different worldview).

Lavos has limitless power, which the Mammon Machine draws upon and amplifies.

Frog doesn't expect that a mere door could keep them back (as in a sealed door), showing they they are well past doors at this point.

The Epoch (or Sylbird) has power like nothing Robo has ever seen, and it's as if the power of the human spirit has been amplified to a terrifying extent (Robo has also potentially witnessed the extinction event caused by Lavos crashing into the Earth and Frog slicing a mountain in have, so the Epoch's power is considerable indeed.

The Epoch flies across dimensional space at amazing speeds.

Even in Robos era they didn't have spacetime vehicles.

Queen Zeals mind has been consumed by Lavos.

As they are sucked into the rippling field where they come face to face with Lavos in the Ocean Palace, Robo says that the dimensional fluctuation is growing stronger (further confirming that the rippling field is in another dimension).

As everyone is drawn towards Lavos, Robo says that if they enter Lavos energy field they'd be disintergrated down to their very atoms.

When the Black Omen rises from the sea, the Epoch's spacetime gyro goes haywire.

Robo can detect a ridiculous amount of spiritual energy coming from the Black Omen.

Lavos provides Queen Zeal and the Black Omen with infinite power.

The Black Omen flows across all temporal dimensions.
so they're door level :wow

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Going through the Black Omen again in previous eras doesn't reveal any new dialogue, but when you reach Lavos its outer shell will have already been defeated if you fought it in the future.

Lavos harvests all the DNA and other vital resources of the planet, then gives birth to Lavos spawn who then go to other planets to repeat the cycle.
o8PC2IN.png

XX04xPp.png

PjrkMPX.png

ftOYdJx.png
Lavos contains all of the genes/DNA of every lifeform that has ever lived upon the planet.
ボ「シ! 信じられマセン……!
  この星に生命がたんじょうして以来の
  あらゆる生物の遺伝子を待っていマス!
Robo: I c-can NOT believe it...!
It HAS the genes of all lifeforms
since life was born on this planet!
Robo: Amazing...
It houses all the DNA of every
creature that ever lived...!
During the final battle against Lavos' final form, it will perform time warps that take you to each of the five eras you can visit (Pre-Historic, Antiquity, Middle Ages, Present Day and Post-Apocalyptic Future).
GWPU6bv.png
tuPh5SB.png

iQOF3cj.png

SikntAZ.png

vl7Wk8z.png

SMrTSCS.png
In the original Japanese version, this move is referred to as a spacetime shift.
時空転換
Spacetime Shift
Lavos will attack you with a move called Evil Star, which somewhat resembles the Moon (it may also be the post-apocalyptic planet).
05YFhYC.png
Grand Stone is the ultimate physical attack.
YAvPclj.png
Dreamless is the ultimate magical attack (also more references to dreams).
g0gtil2.png
Lavos can revive the other pods through what looks like a portal.
j7I94AK.png
If you fail though, Lavos will rise, and all cities will fall.
b2sEJyX.png
Huge explosions cover the Earth clearly visible from space, the atmosphere turns red.
q6CwY0x.png
But the future refused to change.
H01FEYh.png

Back