• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

Circus of Humorous & Humiliating Arguments Part 1: OBD 2027 prologue edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
Yeah that's been my point this whole time. Atleast if you are going to come up with a cringe name, make it be a damn alien and not human then you can atleast excuse it by it being a translation of their alien name or something(Like I'm doing).

Like yeah, Humans do name people after certain things, people, actions, etc, etc.
People even name their kids after those names or meanings because they want their kid to be special.
But when you start getting into naming your kid after 2 days of the week SIMULTANEOUSLY(not even Thursday Friday, like them both combined into one) because the names of the Week are named after the Norse Gods, you... need to evaluate your naming conventions.
I don't get this criticism. If this was real life sure your criticism might make some sense, though even then it sounds like your trying to force the English naming convention onto other languages.

But this is fiction, you can make all the chuuni ass-names you want. Alice Anotherbible is a cringe-ass name but story-wise at least kinda makes some sense since the character has relations to Alice in Wonderland and the bible.

There's no ruleset for fictional names, if you want to be realistic and name your characters real names then so do it. If you wanna go crazy and name your character Marcus Aurelius Julius Caesarus Octavius... that's fine too. It's also fine to pick fun at the names for not making sense or being cringe.

But don't force your own stereotypes on fiction. Now if this was real life. You have a very good point. Unless it's another language/ or naming convention.

Also, the names Michael and John Smith make sense to Americans or predominately English countries cause those names developed as part of the culture there.

I know many people who do double-takes at my Bangladeshi name because it's from an unfamiliar language.

Some of those are still placeholders so I plan on redoing them later at that as well.
But I primarily am okay with some of those names myself.
The Moonstalker surname came from her two adopted brothers, thieves who steal food to survive because they’re a bunch of kids. She has a half-orc older brother Jochim and a half-wood elf younger brother Sarril, sort of based on Ryu, Teepo, and Rei from Breath of Fire. Before she met the brothers, she lived at an orphanage/church of Sarenrae. She had been brought up by the head Acolyte elf, Mother Liagwyn Winddew, who taught Darliana how to control her power because Liagwyn is a sorcerer, too, a Divine Soul sorcerer. At the same time, Darliana is a Shadow Magic sorcerer. Liagwyn taught her that her dark power doesn't define her as a bad person. Liagwyn eventually passes away. Before she was brought to the orphanage, she was found and raised by human parents, Marko Mirkovic and Kisaiya Mirkovic, part of a gypsy clan. Then a few years they vanished without a trace, including their trinkets and any remnant of them like they’d been erased. Her story is based on Koudelka, Breath of Fire II, and Breath of Fire III. Her warlock powers come from a black pendant that she always had. Her patron is a shadow drow dragon Nurvureem the Dark Lady.

Last edited:
I don't get this criticism. If this was real life sure your criticism might make some sense, though even then it sounds like your trying to force the English naming convention onto other languages.

But this is fiction, you can make all the chuuni ass-names you want. Alice Anotherbible is a cringe-ass name but story-wise at least kinda makes some sense since the character has relations to Alice in Wonderland and the bible.

There's no ruleset for fictional names, if you want to be realistic and name your characters real names then so do it. If you wanna go crazy and name your character Marcus Aurelius Julius Caesarus Octavius... that's fine too. It's also fine to pick fun at the names for not making sense or being cringe.

But don't force your own stereotypes on fiction. Now if this was real life. You have a very good point. Unless it's another language/ or naming convention.

Also, the names Michael and John Smith make sense to Americans or predominately English countries cause those names developed as part of the culture there.

I know many people who do double-takes at my Bangladeshi name because it's from an unfamiliar language.

I feel like you are primarily looking at something completely different at this point...
Fiction is fiction but you want people to actually take the names seriously regardless.
There's a difference between Fayt Leingod and Edge Maverick and that's from the same franchise.

Making a cringe name and trying to stick with it because "fiction" is not a get out of jail free card. You can make any name you want but if it's especially stupid, you shouldn't be surprised if people will end up mocking it.

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
I feel like you are primarily looking at something completely different at this point...
Fiction is fiction but you want people to actually take the names seriously regardless.
There's a difference between Fayt Leingod and Edge Maverick and that's from the same franchise.

Making a cringe name and trying to stick with it because "fiction" is not a get out of jail free card. You can make any name you want but if it's especially stupid, you shouldn't be surprised if people will end up mocking it.
Yes and it's fine if people mock it. That's what I said? What I didn't like was you saying that people should change their naming conventions if there child is named thursday.

Yes and it's fine if people mock it. That's what I said? What I didn't like was you saying that people should change their naming conventions if there child is named thursday.

Again, I said a combination of Thursday and Friday, you missed my conversation entirely.
Naming someone after a Norse God isn't bad, naming someone after something isn't bad at all, naming someone like a combo of Wednesday and Monday combined feels like you didn't even try at all or even go for middle names.
Same thing with naming people like Edge Maverick, a name that would be normal if you just removed one or the other but comes off as hilariously silly when combined.

So again, I'm not one of those people who are cringe and say you shouldn't name characters after videogame characters or off of a concept like Hero... but I AM going to say that you shouldn't name someone something so ridiculous that they will get made fun of and not because of "different language or different timeframe" type deal.

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
>insurmountable intelligence advantage

Bruh, the Ministry of Magic hire people to find out how rubber ducks work. They aren't that smart.
i didnt even catch that

more intelligent than the species that invented instantaneous space travel? :rock

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
What makes it better is Rowling retconned the wizards to be dumber than even Medieval peasants. Medieval peasants at least had places to shit.

Fuck, if you have a pet cat, even they have a special toilet place.
one of her many brilliant moments

i didnt even catch that

more intelligent than the species that invented instantaneous space travel? :rock
The HP wizards are stupid enough not to work or learn about muggles with their technology. Could have a combination of magic and technology going on like Starship’s Mage.

A reminder that Arthur Weasely's biggest goal... was to find out how Muggles got Airplanes to stay up...

Yes, truly smarter than any Transformer ever managed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back