• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

Clearly Defining Certain Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
No destroying the universe doesn't suddenly delete the concepts of space and time.
Hm? But it does? Destroying the universe means you would destroy the space in the universe not just matter. Space and time are connected through relativity. So destroying all the space in the universe, would destroy time as well.

Hm? But it does? Destroying the universe means you would destroy the space in the universe not just matter. Space and time are connected through relativity. So destroying all the space in the universe, would destroy time as well.

I'm 1000% certain that's not how that works.
Space and Time are in their own separate dimension than the Universal Laws even in real life. Simply destroying the Universe wouldn't destroy those at all which is the entire point.

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
I'm 1000% certain that's not how that works.
Space and Time are in their own separate dimension than the Universal Laws even in real life. Simply destroying the Universe wouldn't destroy those at all which is the entire point.
Well, I'm not a physicist. But if time and space were separate then how do blackholes work? Their gravity is so intense that they can bend space and time. If time and space were separate then time slowing down near a black hole wouldn't make sense.

Plus Einstein and other physicists theorized that time isn't constant everywhere and is instead is based on relative motion. Which is a model used till this day.

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
That's why space-time is a word infact. Because time is relative to the motion of space. If there is no space there is no time.

Last edited:

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
Breaking the universe =/= shattering space-time
Doesn't make sense.

The current and most accepted cosmological theory is that the Big Bang caused an expansion of space-time faster than light, which is still expanding even now. Time is relative to space meaning the time of celestial bodies is relative to the expansion of the big bang.

Destroying the universe would mean destroying space-time. Unless you're saying that destroying all the matter in a universe is universal which doesn't make sense, since the universe is probably way bigger than the amount of mass in it.

Well, I'm not a physicist. But if time and space were separate then how do blackholes work? Their gravity is so intense that they can bend space and time. If time and space were separate then time slowing down near a black hole wouldn't make sense.

Plus Einstein and other physicists theorized that time isn't constant everywhere and is instead is based on relative motion. Which is a model used till this day.

That's why space-time is a word infact. Because time is relative to the motion of space. If there is no space there is no time.

You are using the real world sense for fiction which that isn't how that works.
You are also only looking at it from only a few words at that too nor how those meanings work either.

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
You are using the real world sense for fiction which that isn't how that works.
Then we might as well scrap universal as level. Most authors don't go into nitty gritty details on how their universes work or their size, meaning that in VS debates we usually use our universe as a base since that's the few examples we have.

Also most works usually follow the base laws of physics we use i.e gravity, space, time just like so their universes should work a similar way to ours unless there are explicit differences.

You are also only looking at it from only a few words at that too nor how those meanings work either.
This is stuff you can find in highschool textbooks, plus those wiki articles support it.

dimensional spacetime as a unified entity of space and time, relativity of simultaneity, kinematic and gravitational time dilation, and length contraction. In the field of physics, relativity improved the science of elementary particles and their fundamental interactions, along with ushering in the nuclear age. With relativity, cosmology and astrophysics predicted extraordinary astronomical phenomena such as neutron stars, black holes, and gravitational waves.[3][4][5]

General relativity is a theory of gravitation developed by Einstein in the years 1907–1915. The development of general relativity began with the equivalence principle, under which the states of accelerated motion and being at rest in a gravitational field (for example, when standing on the surface of the Earth) are physically identical. The upshot of this is that free fall is inertial motion: an object in free fall is falling because that is how objects move when there is no force being exerted on them, instead of this being due to the force of gravity as is the case in classical mechanics. This is incompatible with classical mechanics and special relativity because in those theories inertially moving objects cannot accelerate with respect to each other, but objects in free fall do so. To resolve this difficulty Einstein first proposed that spacetime is curved. In 1915, he devised the Einstein field equations which relate the curvature of spacetime with the mass, energy, and any momentum within it.

Assuming that the equivalence principle holds,[61] gravity influences the passage of time. Light sent down into a gravity well is blueshifted, whereas light sent in the opposite direction (i.e., climbing out of the gravity well) is redshifted; collectively, these two effects are known as the gravitational frequency shift. More generally, processes close to a massive body run more slowly when compared with processes taking place farther away; this effect is known as gravitational time dilation.[62]

Gravitational redshift has been measured in the laboratory[63] and using astronomical observations.[64] Gravitational time dilation in the Earth's gravitational field has been measured numerous times using atomic clocks,[65] while ongoing validation is provided as a side effect of the operation of the Global Positioning System (GPS).[66] Tests in stronger gravitational fields are provided by the observation of binary pulsars.[67] All results are in agreement with general relativity.[68] However, at the current level of accuracy, these observations cannot distinguish between general relativity and other theories in which the equivalence principle is valid.[69]

Galileo, Newton, and most people up until the 20th century thought that time was the same for everyone everywhere. This is the basis for timelines, where time is a parameter. The modern understanding of time is based on Einstein's theory of relativity, in which rates of time run differently depending on relative motion, and space and time are merged into spacetime, where we live on a world line rather than a timeline. In this view time is a coordinate. According to the prevailing cosmological model of the Big Bang theory, time itself began as part of the entire Universe about 13.8 billion years ago.

This all can be found simply skimming through the articles.

Masterblack06

Man of Atom
@Thegoldenboy2188
If you destroy all of space-time then by proxy you will destroy the universe
however destroying just the universe wouldn't destroy space-time
there's a reason why in fiction they make the distinction between destroying the universe and destroying space-time a lot of the time

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
@Thegoldenboy2188
If you destroy all of space-time then by proxy you will destroy the universe
there's a reason why in fiction they make the distinction between destroying the universe and destroying space-time a lot of the time
Then what's being destroyed when you destroy a universe? Matter?

Because destroying the universe would mean destroying the space-time it's comprised of unless you mean that there's space-time outside the universe too. Which just gets into multiversal shenanigans. Because the universe itself is an expanding space created by the big bang with time being relative to the expansion of space.

Last edited:

Uoruk

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Yes it would

thats because it's fiction. The universe is space/time. You destroy the universe and there is no longer a concept of space and time.

Fiction having chars that exist outside of space/time might be confusing people but in reality there is no "outside" of the universe. The universe encompasses all of space and time and without it neither concept exists. They are linked

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon
There is also no point in using "omniversal" as a term. Mainly because technically speaking that term is licensed specifically to Marvel's silly writers using that as the ultimate umbrella for their own cosmology. Secondly because megaversal simply sounds better and thirdly and MOST IMPORTANTLY its way less cringe tbh fam ngl.

Dead Lock

Marvelous
Banned Member
Till someone goes and edits the wiki there's still gonna be characters that fit the obd's definition of omniversal, no matter how small a grouping that is.

Dead Lock

Marvelous
Banned Member
I wouldn't mind that, then just comparing feats. Using omniversal makes me cringe anyways ever since Genis using TOAA as an energy source and TOAA creating the SoM. đź’€

Masterblack06

Man of Atom
Then what's being destroyed when you destroy a universe? Matter?

Because destroying the universe would mean destroying the space-time it's comprised of unless you mean that there's space-time outside the universe too. Which just gets into multiversal shenanigans. Because the universe itself is an expanding space created by the big bang with time being relative to the expansion of space.
Yes it would

thats because it's fiction. The universe is space/time. You destroy the universe and there is no longer a concept of space and time.

Fiction having chars that exist outside of space/time might be confusing people but in reality there is no "outside" of the universe. The universe encompasses all of space and time and without it neither concept exists. They are linked
Okay so while yes space and time are linked together, destroying the universe wouldn't get rid of them depending on how the universe was destroyed. If you destroyed the universe and then I'm able to go back in time then you didn't destroy the concepts of space and time, all you did was destroy the physical universe. for example in ben 10 when the annihilarg went off it deleted everything and alien x had to recreate the entire universe as there was no time to rewind to undo what happened.

Uoruk

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Okay so while yes space and time are linked together, destroying the universe wouldn't get rid of them depending on how the universe was destroyed. If you destroyed the universe and then I'm able to go back in time
But you couldn't. Fiction has primed us to think this way. That's not how it works though. If you destroy the universe there is no more timeline they are inseparable. If the universe goes poof you can not go back to a point in time in it because space and time no longer exist. That universe is gone. The Universe and space/time are one and the same and can't be separated.

or example in ben 10 when the annihilarg went off it deleted everything and alien x had to recreate the entire universe as there was no time to rewind to undo what happened.
Yes, because there's an outside of spacetime in the series. There is no outside of spacetime in reality. The universe isn't expanding in to some empty space outside. Everything that exists exists within the universe including the concepts of space/time. The reason why time travel is considered impossible (for the most part) is because of the law of entropy which is universal states that disorder can't decrease only increase.

But you couldn't. Fiction has primed us to think this way. That's not how it works though. If you destroy the universe there is no more timeline they are inseparable. If the universe goes poof you can not go back to a point in time in it because space and time no longer exist. That universe is gone. The Universe and space/time are one and the same and can't be separated.

Yes, because there's an outside of spacetime in the series. There is no outside of spacetime in reality. The universe isn't expanding in to some empty space outside. Everything that exists exists within the universe including the concepts of space/time. The reason why time travel is considered impossible (for the most part) is because of the law of entropy which is universal states that disorder can't decrease only increase.

Are you trying to argue this about OUR Universe or other fictional Universes altogether?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back