• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

Death Battle Discussion

Claudio Swiss

Luminous
V.I.P. Member
SPOILER_unknown-2.png

Warlordgab

Illustrious
Death Battle was going for themes rather than match-up. Both MHA and BC are considered the successors of previous mainstream Shounen

MHA is new age Naruto and even began in the same year Naruto (mostly) ended with fans quickly picking up on the similairities between the two

Black Clover started not long after and many consider it a neat combination of Naruto and Bleach
So, this is pretty much a spiritual successor to Naruto Vs. Ichigo

Glad to see I wasn't the only who saw MHA/BC and Naruto/Bleach that way

Warlordgab

Illustrious
Pretty much both series were looked rip offs of Naruto
Given how Naruto was the gateway anime for many people, that kind of statement no longer sounds convincing

I mean, there are those who honestly think all Shonen Anime is modelled after Naruto. Granted I haven't finished reading Black Clover (I'm still on chapter 224), so I'm not sure if the similarities become far more evident in later arcs

Claudio Swiss

Luminous
V.I.P. Member
From Speedy the reseacher

"We didn’t do Meliodas simply because we wanted to do Deku VS Asta. I just personally also find Meliodas uncomfortable. It’s not really the same as other characters who are bad people in the context of their story, the creepy stuff in SDS is presented as being normal and okay, and is injected into various aspects of the story.

Regardless, it’s a moot point because it wasn’t really a consideration anyway. Please stop spreading what I said like it’s the “official reason”, it’s not. We don’t have to have some in-depth justification for everything we do 24/7, sometimes matches just happen cuz we like ‘em."

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
From Speedy the reseacher

"We didn’t do Meliodas simply because we wanted to do Deku VS Asta. I just personally also find Meliodas uncomfortable. It’s not really the same as other characters who are bad people in the context of their story, the creepy stuff in SDS is presented as being normal and okay, and is injected into various aspects of the story.

Regardless, it’s a moot point because it wasn’t really a consideration anyway. Please stop spreading what I said like it’s the “official reason”, it’s not. We don’t have to have some in-depth justification for everything we do 24/7, sometimes matches just happen cuz we like ‘em."
Is this for real?

If so damn… Death Battle thinks the same way

:mjlol

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
It’s hilarious because this is the exact same reason I brought up Natsu or Ichigo against Asta and left out Meliodas too

Blocky

Illustrious
I think i would perfer Asta vs Meliodas? But honestly I understand.

Who would sit down and be forced to read 3DS of all things?

Yes most of the reseacher don't like the romance shit that was done in SDS let alone some of the characters that weren't Escanor

Like legit, I don't understand how the author thinks the virtual rampant pedophilia and grooming is okay or would even work even in Japan:

Meliodas? Constantly gropes a 16 year old girl and we later find out it's his first love reincarnated for thousands of years that will always fall in love with him the second she sees him(Which still doesn't work as it's uncomfortable as fuck considering that plenty of Liz's lives we see have her see him when she's still a CHILD).

Ban? He has a thing for King's sister, that would be fine as she actually is older than him... except she looks like a kid for no reason(And we only get the BS explanation that they get older looking when they spout full Fairy Wings)

King? Virtually groomed Diane when she was the equivalent of a Child.

Merlin? Is basically a Kid that never grew up(No seriously, she virtually is)

And that's the MAIN CAST! Escanor is the only one who doesn't have that quality and instead, it's pure simphood... such a waste.

Warlordgab

Illustrious
I don't know if it's something unique among some Hispanic reviewers, but I heard some positive feedback after Deku went Vigilante...

And even if the current arc is getting some mixed reception (Bakugo's fakeout), I still heard some praise for chapter 372

I'm still deciding what to think about the story, but it's the first I'm seeing a Naruto level amount of negativity when it comes to MHA. I'd like to know why... I'm really curious about it, for I find anything about tropes or narrative tools quite useful

Back