Misconceptions about VS. Debating

I was planning on talking about this sooner or later, but just bringing up in the Convo... wouldn't really be what I wanted to do with this and to be frank, this needs to be in the Meta-Battledome Discussion(And I haven't made a thread in months).

Something that I have found... disturbing in many other VS. debating sites is how frequently people ignore the very concept of VS. Debating to basically put their own nonsensical takes out there and being taken seriously and it even happens here from time to time, much to our chagrin.
So I would like to actually toss around a few examples that I have seen and I invite others to bring in some that they have seen as well. This isn't going to be like the Circus Thread where we make fun of bad posts or terrible topics or users being fools, these are talking about Misconceptions that have exploded as of late due to the latest people who appeared in this hobby and went to the worst with them:

1. Primarily focusing on AoE and DC
We have all seen this before in the past and while it's connected to a major point that I will bring up later, this usually follows it alot. An author/writer/designers/etc. will create a scene that basically doesn't follow what happens(Video Games constantly follow this) and thus, people will disregard feats because they aren't basically acting like they should in a "realistic" context.
The big issue with going with this route is that most users have legit no idea that this is extra workload for Video Games, for Anime and otherwise. The key example of this is honestly Role Playing Games as a whole, you know them, we have ALL seen them before:
Attacks that rend the very fabric of Reality, destroy Planets, End Universes, creates Galaxies... and it's like nothing happens:
5pQ9wK4.gif
MaL1SeC.gif

We have seen this constantly used over and over again to primarily dismiss feats because "It's just gameplay" or in the case of anime "It's an outlier" when the reason is more simple in 2 fashions:
1A) The Writers/Creators/Designers aren't VS. Debaters.
Yeah that sounds like a copout but it genuinely isn't. Writers/Creators aren't thinking of "Why doesn't this Anti-Matter spell completely destroy the Universe" or "Why can these characters can basically violate the Laws of Physics by existing", they are usually doing these because that's what they want to do. This explanation will go into another part but to be frank, this doesn't mean the abilities are "outliers", it's just the creators do not want to deal with the obvious elephant in the room because fiction requires you to obviously strain yourself from Reality in it's stories.
The part for video games is another story as well... and that is simple game engine limitations. Go to any Developer, anyone versed in Game Engines and tell them you want to have a Game Engine that shows environmental damage on a major scale and to make it PERMANENT and come back to me when they basically laugh in your face and walk off. I have seen this constantly used for series like The Elder Scrolls, Final Fantasy and so on despite these very series actually do talk about what we see on the screen but they are discounted because "We don't get nowhere near the scale it should be" as if you can easily have heroes have a spell that can just nuke half of the Planet and have it somehow still stick in gameplay.

The 2nd Reason comes from a common fallacy:
If Heroes can just blow away Planets/Star Systems/Reality/The Universe, why are they struggling on the villains or vice versa? I would have called it by it's own name but I won't because we have constantly seen this happen(Sephiroth's entire goal is constantly used as this when it comes to Supernova but people tend to miss WHY that's the case). This even happens in plenty of anime like Dragonball Z, Saint Seiya and so on where characters can destroy Planets but then suddenly not(Especially if it's given onus) and it's used to constantly dismiss feats because "Shit isn't exploding all the time" when the answers... are usually stated in the series itself.
I want to use Final Fantasy 7 as a backbone of this argument because it's the series that is consistently used in VS. Topics and thus is the one the fallacy is consistently used against:

Sephiroth here very clearly explains the origins of the Materia(That it is Condensed Mako in it's purest form) and how characters can cast Magic and he virtually explains it as thus(paraphrasing here):
Materia works as a conduit as the knowledge and wisdom of the Ancients to be able to freely use the powers of the Land and Planet to use Magic.

Now of course, if you go further into the game at Cosmo Canyon, Bugenhagen actually tells you what is powering the Planet:

Again paraphrasing, he basically explains that when people die, their body decomposes but also so do their souls, forming those who have also died and becoming a swell, becoming The Lifestream, the path of energy of souls that roam the Planet. There is of course, special mention that I will bring up here to further point out a major consistency people miss(And why Sephiroth didn't want to destroy the Planet but cause it a major wound):
3:22
"Spirit Energy(The Lifestream) is what makes all things possible, Humans, Animals and Birds. Spirit Energy isn't just limited to Living things, it's also what makes Planets to be Planets"
Bugenhagen then demonstrates what happens when you absorb the Spirit Energy from the Planet(or it disappears) and the Planet ultimately rips itself apart and ceases to live. This is also brought up in Dirge of Cerebus as The Omega Weapon's main purpose to gather the Lifestream of the entire Planet and leave it, causing the Planet to die but to find a new Planet to add it back into.

Both of these are absolutely important because it becomes obvious that Mako and the Lifestream are one in the same(This is why AVALANCHE was formed in destroying the Reactors) and also why Materia exists(And why the Huge Materia being destroyed is a HUGE deal and why the characters refuse to use Materia in Advent Children).
This is primarily why Sephiroth being dunked into The Lifestream for years prior to Final Fantasy 7 is able to do most of the insanity he's capable of because he was primarily gaining even more Knowledge from the Lifestream to the point of virtually skipping the need of Materia and can just cast Magic freely(And why he wants the Lifestream's Energy in the first place, it's even stronger than the very Planet it's on considering what Bugenhagen stated that it allows Planets to be Planets)
Crisis Core also brings about the main deal when it comes to Summons:

One second Zack is facing Genesis and Genesis has a Summoning Materia, and the next, he's in a completely different and volatile area and fighting Bahamut in it, completely transported into it's Dimension to fight it.
I will tackle other Misconceptions in the future but if someone wants to go and add their own misconception, you are free to do so. I'm primarily doing this to blow off some steam and hopefully educate some of the people who come here over the various and constant misconceptions I see when it comes to VS. debates. I'm not perfect and I do ask if I have made errors or if there is better info I can use, just tell me and I promise I won't cry like a ninny. So until the next one.

EDIT: Thanks to @Papa Nier , I actually found the site I was looking for to further clarify about FF7 Summons:
Summoned Beasts
Beings which are called forth from summon materia, many of which outwardly resemble monsters. As seen in the original game of FFVII, many of the summon beasts draw their targets into their own unique space in order to attack. However, Advent Children’s Bahamut Tremor, was a special summon beast who attacked while interacting with the real world.

Last edited:

Masterblack06

Man of Atom
Alright here we go

1. All Hax is not created equal
People got this idea in their head that if you resist one form of hax, your somehow immune to that hax no matter what. That's not how that works in the slightest.

All Hax have different levels and different forms, resisting one form or Level of it doesn't mean you will always resist any other level or form of it.
Example 1: Luffy being immune to one piece poison doesn't suddenly mean Coco wouldn't be able to poison him as Cocos poison is far beyond anything in one piece
Example 2: Beers can resist toon force from Arale. He would 100% get smacked the fuck up by Bobobo
Example 3: Resisting Astas antimagic as a wizard wouldn't mean that you would resist Imagine Breaker and they are 2 vastly different forms of negation

2. You don't need to prove that Hax would work on someone, you would need to prove that someone can resist the hax.

Just saying that someone is "of a certain level" doesn't mean they have resistance to hax in any way. This is especially true for things like Dragon Ball where people like to just go "well ki let's you resist hax" and think that somehow means the hax wont work. This goes back to point 1 about different levels. Goku can resist Hakai with his Ki but that wouldn't mean anything if someone swiped at him with the hand since they are 2 different kinds of erasure.

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
it's a weird thing born out of trying to be strict about what logically should happen for the consistency of the story. on paper, it makes sense. Then you have a series like jojo full of street level characters with numerous FTL feats and statements. Even without those, numerous MHS feats. They can't all be outliers. At some point you have to realize the author is putting all of those in the story for a reason

NostalgiaFan

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
it's a weird thing born out of trying to be strict about what logically should happen for the consistency of the story. on paper, it makes sense. Then you have a series like jojo full of street level characters with numerous FTL feats and statements. Even without those, numerous MHS feats. They can't all be outliers. At some point you have to realize the author is putting all of those in the story for a reason
It's funny because they are so selective on it when series they like feature the same inconsistencies.

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member
Yeah that's the thing. Outside of cosmic series, just about every combat oriented story will fall into this trap. Luffy can catch lightning then why doesn't he just zip straight to the one piece? Naruto dodged a laser once why does he need to use shadow clones if he's that fast?

Once you start applying that to every series, because what other option do you have, it quickly just enters headcanon where everything an author does is now secondary to you.

Death of the author is fine but at one point does that overrwrite what you see on the page

Yeah that's the thing. Outside of cosmic series, just about every combat oriented story will fall into this trap. Luffy can catch lightning then why doesn't he just zip straight to the one piece? Naruto dodged a laser once why does he need to use shadow clones if he's that fast?

Once you start applying that to every series, because what other option do you have, it quickly just enters headcanon where everything an author does is now secondary to you.

Death of the author is fine but at one point does that overrwrite what you see on the page

That is ultimately a great point right there and a major misconception that happens in VS. topics alot and it's one that, as you said, never made any real sense whatsoever.
It doesn't help Death of the Author is used so much that it's honestly becoming a shell of what it once was(and something I plan on addressing in a major misconception we see in people ignoring WoG when it's convenient for them tomorrow) and people constantly hug the speed argument to an absolutely ludicrous degree.

Goku and Co. can react to characters that can move at MFTL+ speeds? That can't be the case as it never shows at all in battles(despite him clashing with Beerus and fighting Whis at all kinda makes that apparent).

Servants are constantly stated to move extremely fast in short bursts and have actual canonical reasons why they can't move that fast constantly? Nasu doesn't know what the hell he's talking about(Despite himself going into these feats of speed in his stories and constantly telling those writing his series to go all out).

Hide can dodge Lightning Bolts? Then why ain't they moving like Sonic The Hedgehog?

And so on and so forth.

Flowering Knight

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
There's also a whole discussion about Lore vs Feats when it comes to this hobby which comes with its own can of worms. You got people saying that because this big feat didn't happen on screen, it didn't count and said character can't actually bust universes or whatever. On the other hand you have something implying a universal thing in lore and people immediately jump to try and bump the verse up to universal.

Obviously there's a lot more to it and I'm skipping a lot of details and examples but that sort of thing is very much a recent (and large) phenomenon in vs debating, and there's a lot of misconceptions about it on both sides

Another thing people seem to struggle with is the simple fact that just because there's no environmental damage doesn't mean attacks aren't strong

I actually brought that up in my opener but yeah, that is a major deal people tend to constantly hold on with both hands despite the fact that it's not even consistent in the series people constantly bring up as opposites to this rule(Like Seven Deadly Sins, One Punch Man, Naruto, etc, etc.)

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member
Another thing people seem to struggle with is the simple fact that just because there's no environmental damage doesn't mean attacks aren't strong
I've had success explaining it like how bullets are more concentrated than just hitting a sheet of metal with a hammer, but yeah in general people get this confused a lot. In this case I actually don't blame them, because on the surface it's a bit counter-intuitive

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
I think Toon Force can be overrated especially when their argued for characters that don’t qualify like Saitama

Arguing Muh Concepts like it’s a be-all, end-all to any argument because a character controls concepts or is conceptual is also pretty wank. Ex. Bleach’s Soul King created the concepts of life and death, so he’s a conceptual existence on the level of DC’s Death of the Endless.

Taking flowery descriptions that are blatant hyperbole literally to argue as feats for something BUT at the same time going the opposite extreme and denouncing anything presented as just flowery writing and hyperbole to ignore it when there’s clear feats involved.

General hypocrisy and double standards when arguing one series in favor of another.

These are my biggest pet peeves in Vs Debates

Blade

Peace
V.I.P. Member
Ultra Perm Banned Instinct V-2
people need to get the basic stuff we do in obd, right

- a char for example dbs geeko, he is universal, right? he doesn't have to bust a universe, every time he or chars of his tier fight [that goes for like every series basically, even for city level chars], people expect a universe or a multiverse [lmao] to be destroyed, nah, this ain't how it works, the chars still have the power to do it, but they don't, cuz the story won't move on and its kinda lame, the author doesn't own anything to his fans, to have all the time something new destroyed, a collection of feats + legit author word [no nlf, some one liners from devs, troll opinions, lackster or exaggeated ones] are accepted, as long as it doesn't contradict the story, and has feats enough or claims to back it up, it's good to go, in obd, feats is the main canon, and the others are supplementary material which accepted as canon, as long as they up with the story of each series

- in vgames, yeah, gameplay mechanics, some of them are legit, some ain't, for example in jrpgs, most of them are canon, why? cuz it follows the lore and feats they display on cutscenes or guides

- to be a certain level of dc/firepower, for example, lets go full novice levels, to cui a small building, a char to be building levels, doesnt have to literally destroy a small building, it's the way he destroys it or you get the ke from other things, if a char can destroy many walls or floors, with one tech, at once, thats literally small building levels, cuz it generates that power, now, if somebody destroys a building at once and crumbles it fully, the ke will result to way above building levels

- in speed debates, other example, flash doesn't have everytime to speedblitz the universe, in order to be mftl+, i mean really? he has dozens of ftl+/mftl+ in his legacy, you think, he needs more? if a char, tags and inflicts damage on him, more than once or blocks attacks from him, he scales to flash, just because he doesnt show the speed feats flash has, means he can't scale to him? if that was the case, then flash would been the only mftl+ char in dc, you see my point? and that how for the other speed levels too, downgrading chars to supersonic or subsonic levels, is zero levels of logic and favor other chars instead is just bad = made up stats

- the level of hax varies, in each series, a char being immune lets say to time powers in his verse, doesn't mean he will fully resist the same powers from another series, example: future hiro from the tv series heroes, has some neat time based powers, but they really mid and noob levels compared to chars like hyper kabuto, it's so simple, it's all on how it is portrayed, since the hax concepts, have many tiers of broken levels, it's up to each author on how they gon use them and explain them, vs forums need to clarify them and put them in some order, cuz otherwise a debate will go full nlf levels= pmuch sb or youtube levels, that's why they obd even at this pg era, we try to still find ways to make them as usable as they can get, we don't want headcanon and nlf opinions, that's why olf obd still is better than most of those forums in that aspect

Last edited:
I think Toon Force can be overrated especially when their argued for characters that don’t qualify like Saitama

Arguing Muh Concepts like it’s a be-all, end-all to any argument because a character controls concepts or is conceptual is also pretty wank. Ex. Bleach’s Soul King created the concepts of life and death, so he’s a conceptual existence on the level of DC’s Death of the Endless.

Taking flowery descriptions that are blatant hyperbole literally to argue as feats for something BUT at the same time going the opposite extreme and denouncing anything presented as just flowery writing and hyperbole to ignore it when there’s clear feats involved.

General hypocrisy and double standards when arguing one series in favor of another.

These are my biggest pet peeves in Vs Debates

I didn't want to say anything... but you need to actually give reasons for the misconceptions. You didn't really do anything here but complain about things you don't like.
We all did it here and you gotta do it too.

Back