OBD Convo #12: the law of the victory, is courage and hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
Have you seen Shadiversity's dissection of the Throne room battle royale in TLJ? It takes him like fifteen minutes to get through the first ten seconds because of how bad it is :skully
ivei have seen a lot of people talk about hiw bad it is. tbh even if it doesn't make sense i dont find it as offensively bad as the really boring mcu fights or something

CrossTheHorizon

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
ivei have seen a lot of people talk about hiw bad it is. tbh even if it doesn't make sense i dont find it as offensively bad as the really boring mcu fights or something

Shad in particular approaches it specifically from a basis of actual swordsmanship and martial arts, to the point of demonstrating the actual techniques and going into depth on why some things are pure cinematic flair and some are based in real combat even if they look unrealistic.

Or rather that's what he normally does, the throne room battle is mostly him sobbing in horror at how bad it is on both counts. You know about the disappearing dagger, right? :maybe

NostalgiaFan

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
it's really weird how the sequels don't have any good lightsaber fights, even episode 7's finale fight is just ok at best

im not really sure how they could have fucked that up, it genuinely makes no sense to me
It's even worse when you realize they had the team from the fucking Raid in it that was known for having some of the best choreography in modern action films and they do nothing with them, both in the story and for the action scenes themselves.
Shit like the badly edited out knife and slow movement making the badly telecasted moves more obvious make it worse than almost any MCU fight scene, at least they are boring enough to forget about, the Throne room fight is so painful to sit through it makes all the worse to watch.

NostalgiaFan

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
I forgot they had The Raid people in there lmao what was up with that
The Sequels are the prime example of how modern movie studios having all the money and talent available to them means dick when the people in charge have no imagination or talent to use them right.

Masterblack06

Man of Atom
1652451774735.jpg

Marvel civilians are some of the scummiest people alive

TrueG 37

Acclaimed
I sincerely doubt it. The issues with the Prequels and Sequels are completely different.

People took issue with the Prequels for fucking with their assumptions on what pre-Empire was like, and for some odd characterization on Anakins part. It ran over their fanon with a steam roller and it took a while for people to warm up to the rest. But there were also several things unanimously agreed to be great like the addition of Mace Windu and Yoda being a living buzz saw. Not to mention having the best lightsaber fights in the entire series and some of the best set pieces as well.

The Sequels are hated for fucking with the OG Trilogy. They retroactively ruin the happy endings of the Power Trio and kill all three of them off fighting a war they're partially responsible for because Luke and Han regressed to their pre-OG selves and Leia is a mannequin who can't actually do anything on her own, so they betray/abandon/ignore Ben and he turns into Kylo and kills the rest of the Jedi apprentices.

Additionally the lightsaber fights are somehow worse than the one between Old Ben and Vader where the two at least treated the lightsabers like rapiers instead of baseball bats, much less the rest of the OG or the prequels. The set pieces are comically small in scale despite involving a giant planet gun at one point, being a blow for blow of the Battle of Yavin....which was a desperate last scramble of a small group of fighters against a mobile military base.

The Last Jedi has zero conception of space combat in a way I can hardly find words for but includes the concept of friction in the vacuum of deep space and arcing laser shots. Its counterpart in the Battle of Hoth annihilates it with a relatively reasonable translation of trench warfare to the sci-fi setting with explanations as to why they're doing all the seemingly primitive ships (tldr shields preventing air or space based attacks on the base)

Rise of Skywalker tries to make up for this all at the end by throwing a bunch of ships at the viewer only to not do anything with them. The Battle of Endor by comparison has far fewer ships and yet seems to be ten times the scale while juggling three different battlefields at once, each with their own distinct tone and setting (the throne room duel, the fast paced space battle, and the chaos of the jungle war)

The Prequels did their own thing in their own weird way and took heat for it, but that helped them stand the test of time. The Sequels tried to use the OG as a springboard without giving a damn as to what that meant for the OG and now people hate them for it.

The situations are not equivalent
The prequels certainly ran over people thinking that Yoda wouldn't use a lightsaber because he was "too good for that" which I never got :skully . Let's ignore that Obi Wan said that a lightsaber is the weapon of the jedi in the first movie, you know that organization Yoda was part of :mjlol.

The prequels certainly ran over people thinking that Yoda wouldn't use a lightsaber because he was "too good for that" which I never got :skully . Let's ignore that Obi Wan said that a lightsaber is the weapon of the jedi in the first movie, you know that organization Yoda was part of :mjlol.

Because RLM got people to believe that nonsense entirely of what Yoda was saying in the ESB apparently means he would NEVER use a Lightsaber(when that wasn't what Yoda meant).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back